Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since when did the Irish ignore the opportunity for a fight?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This would be unbelievable if it wasn't SOP for the UN, so long as the sacrificed troops aren't from a powerful nation.  

Now did the Irish ignore orders by helping the Filipino breakout, or did the UN CO get forced into ordering the rescue when the Filipinos decided not to get beheaded without a fight?

WWII?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
The Filipinos have their own muslim problems in their country. They know the score.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I read an article that said a technical with an HMG on the back tried to ram the gate of the compound where they were holed up. The guy in back got shot in the head and they gave up that idea.

Apparently they're not used to fighting guys who know how to aim

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The UN should be moved to Haiti
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
http://www.rappler.com/news/67844-philippines-united-nations-golan

MANILA, Philippines – Filipino peacekeepers in the Golan Heights defied the order of their overall commander, an Indian national, when they refused to surrender their firearms to Syrian rebels in last week's standoff, the Philippine military revealed on Monday, September 1.

The rebels demanded them to surrender their firearms, and the Philippine troops' refusal triggered a standoff that was followed by a 7-hour heavy firefight on Saturday, August 30.

Despite the firefight, UNDOF commander Lieutenant General Iqbal Singha supposedly insisted that the Filipinos surrender their firearms. They still refused. They were supposedly told that they would be given safe passage and if the rebels still fired on them, they were supposed to raise a white flag.

It was unacceptable to the Filipinos. "Sabi ko hindi puwede yun kasi ma-hostage din ang sundalo natin (I said we won't allow it because the troops will be taken hostage," Catapang said.

The troops had to hatch the escape plan themselves, which they executed midnight on Sunday without the approval of UNDOF.

Wave a white flag? Iqbal needs to be relieved of fucking duty. Goddamn coward piece of shit. Good on Gen. Catapang.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This would be unbelievable if it wasn't SOP for the UN, so long as the sacrificed troops aren't from a powerful nation.  

Now did the Irish ignore orders by helping the Filipino breakout, or did the UN CO get forced into ordering the rescue when the Filipinos decided not to get beheaded without a fight?

World War II. Against the Nazis.

Good stuff, Philippines! Fuck the UN.

Did this incident take place before or after the PI announced they were pulling out their troops?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The UN was probably just looking to channel money (via ransom) to terrorist without raising an eye.

Q:  Would American troops volunteer individually to wear a blue helmet or do the units just get sent via the Govt?  And, I wonder if it's the same for other countries.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wow.

I hope an American officer never has to follow an order from an incompetent UN bozo to surrender a unit of American troops. And if they did I hope he would tell the FOAD.
View Quote

I think the traditional response is "Nuts"
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The "leaders" of the UN are the most useless group of fucktards to ever roam the planet. We seriously need to leave the UN and kick any personnel from the UN out of our country.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is the purpose of having UN Peacekeepers?  Seems like wherever they are they just stand around and do nothing, and run away.
View Quote

somebody has to be witness..........
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The UN was probably just looking to channel money (via ransom) to terrorist without raising an eye.
View Quote

Wouldn't doubt it.
I also read that the Filipinos were armed witn newly issued M4s, M60s, K3 SAWs, and 1911s.
I'm sure AQ would of found a use for those is they had gotten them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
UNDOF CMD:  Please guys, just go full retard and give them your guns, I swear everything will be fine.

View Quote

Ask the Belgian Paratropers who were in Rwanda how that worked out....uh.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm really surprised that the Fijian's surrendered. They are some tough, big, motherfuckers.

Shit, 150 years ago they were EATING their enemies.

I can easily see those dudes boiling up some snackbars for dinner.

I lived in Fiji for a year or so. Nice guys, until they got pissed off - then watch out............
View Quote

So am I. But perhaps they were order to surrender too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I expect a little more intelligence from some of you here.

We have no idea what Lt General Iqbal Singha negotiated - but you're essentially arguing that pissant worthess UN Golan heights positions are worth maintaining over the lives of the Fijians who are captured.

I don't fault the Filipinos or Irish for not trusting thing would work out, but the Fijians remain captured.

Meanwhile, they were all UN forces - so none of the typical anti-UN GD derp makes any sense here.  But, it rarely does.  Heck, the Irish are some of the most pro-UN of the common UN-force providers out there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We have no idea what Lt General Iqbal Singha negotiated - but you're essentially arguing that pissant worthess UN Golan heights positions are worth maintaining over the lives of the Fijians who are captured.

I don't fault the Filipinos or Irish for not trusting thing would work out, but the Fijians remain captured.

Meanwhile, they were all UN forces - so none of the typical anti-UN GD derp makes any sense here.  But, it rarely does.  Heck, the Irish are some of the most pro-UN of the common UN-force providers out there.
View Quote

If they had a real leader, they'd have turned around and chased those AQ jackoffs back to where they had the Fijian contingent held and stomped their guts out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Slightly off topic, whatever happened to the US solider that refused to wear the blue beret?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If they had a real leader, they'd have turned around and chased those AQ jackoffs back to where they had the Fijian contingent held and stomped their guts out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Few threads bring out the prideful ignorance more than UN threads.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Because WE fund them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why does the UN even still exist?
Because WE fund them.  

we have a winner.

gd
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Slightly off topic, whatever happened to the US solider that refused to wear the blue beret?
View Quote

He was last seen being kidnapped by an alien and dropped off at a meeting of the Illuminati.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, they could continue to try to sweet talk AQ into releasing the captives before they decide to lop their heads off, as I'm sure you have figured as the only way to peacefully coexist with our misunderstood future friends.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Or, they could continue to try to sweet talk AQ into releasing the captives before they decide to lop their heads off, as I'm sure you have figured as the only way to peacefully coexist with our misunderstood future friends.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or, you could read up on the mandate and mission of the UNDOF, understand how those missions work, and stop being a blowhard.

The commander deserves fault for letting the Fijians get captured more so than trying to get them released.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Or, you could read up on the mandate and mission of the UNDOF, understand how those missions work, and stop being a blowhard.

The commander deserves fault for letting the Fijians get captured more so than trying to get them released.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I'm getting at is that the missions DON'T work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

So what your saying is that if you commanded the Filipinos you would command everyone to throw down their rifles and walk into a barbaric stronghold in the hope to save the Fijians?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They declined, and an Irish QRF came and they fought their way out.

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=54902 AP article linked at TAH.

Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang said he advised the 40 Filipino peacekeepers not to lay down their arms, and they defied the U.N. peacekeeping commander’s order. Instead, they staged a daring escape from the Golan camp over the weekend, ending a tense, dayslong standoff.

Forty-five Fijian peacekeepers who surrendered their firearms to the rebels last week are still being held by the al-Qaida-linked insurgents.

The commander of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force, or UNDOF, which supervises the peacekeeping mission in Golan, was overseeing talks with the Syrian rebels to secure the freedom of the Fijians. However, Catapang said he would not agree to any resolution of the hostage crisis that would put Filipino troops in grave danger.

When the besieged Filipino troops sought his advice after they were ordered to lay down their arms as part of an arrangement with the rebels to secure the Fijians' release, Catapang said he asked them to defy the order.

View Quote

Have guys give up to get back other guys that gave up? The UN commander is apparently a retard.  

View Quote
this comes as no surprise and FUCK the UN

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Ordered to surrender to ISIS?

Good insubordination.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ordered to surrender to ISIS?

Good insubordination.
View Quote

Where did you read that it was ISIS?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the Indians, Irish, Filipinos, etc. seem to support that one, hence being there and all.

What I'm getting at, is that more than 87% of the internet anti-UN blowhard don't understand how they work - and are proud of that fact.

How has the UNDOF not worked, in your mind?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Should be made into a movie.  I'd pay $100 for the ticket.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So what your saying is that if you commanded the Filipinos you would command everyone to throw down their rifles and walk into a barbaric stronghold in the hope to save the Fijians?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, I probably would have done the same thing.  That's part of the problem with international missions - that Indian General clearly wasn't trusted by the Filipino general.

Tough calls across the board.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#30]
UN told to stand down and let evil prevail? Reminds me of...

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

Surrendering to Al Queda is suicide and any commander who would order his men to surrender to Al Queda should be stood against a wall and shot.

But, to your "point", if those positions in the Golan Heights aren't worth men's lives, then why were UN forces manning those positions and why did Al Queda want them?

What exactly are those UN troops doing in the Golan Heights if they aren't going to defend it from Al Queda?

Lastly, if Al Queda is able to establish positions in the Golan Heights, then doesn't that pretty much guarantee an escalation of the conflict when Israel attacks? Or do you expect Israel to just sit back and let Al Queda run the UN out of their border with Syria and then wait to see what happens?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nope, I probably would have done the same thing.  That's part of the problem with international missions - that Indian General clearly wasn't trusted by the Filipino general.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

May have been even deeper. The previous commander of the mission was Filipino.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

May have been even deeper. The previous commander of the mission was Phillipino.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

May have been even deeper. The previous commander of the mission was Phillipino.

Those things usually rotate.

It's not like some UN high command exists that answers to no national government, as some posters here seem to suggest.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Simple, Pull the UN out of the Golan Heights and tell the Izzies to watch it.
Don't think the Izzies will complain.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Well, the Indians, Irish, Filipinos, etc. seem to support that one, hence being there and all.

What I'm getting at, is that more than 87% of the internet anti-UN blowhard don't understand how they work - and are proud of that fact.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have been there since 1974 doing what exactly? If the Israelis and Syrians wanted to go at it, they would.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Bravo! Gen. Catapang, Filipinos and the Irish QRF.

They maintained their stones, senses, freedom and lives.

Surrender and become hostages? WTF??!!

FUCK THE UN!

eta- Hope it works out for the Fijians.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They have been there since 1974 doing what exactly? If the Israelis and Syrians wanted to go at it, they would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet they haven't have they?  And both sides trust that the other side isn't sneaking into those positions, because they know the UN forces are there, are neutral, and would see it.

They aren't tasked, authorized, or equipped to go conduct a rescue raid into Syria, and if a commander tried to order such a mission the subordinate commanders representing the other nations there would laugh and refuse.

It Ireland or the Philippines want to declare their forces there are now under national control, and lead a combat operations, nobody will stop them.  Same in Rwanda, for that matter.  But it's more fun to blame the nameless faceless "UN" boogie man.  All the UN does is provide the legal, mutually agreed upon framework for a given mission, after which nations pledge actual forces to man it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

It works as designed:
1. Observe the Purple Zone
2. Blame Israel
3. ??????
4. Profit ...

What good is it to a observe a conflict if you are not honest about the actions of one side.

I was wrong on the above.  I got my useless UN missions crossed.  I was thinking of the Gaza Observer Mission.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The Filipinos have their own muslim problems in their country. They know the score.
View Quote

yup. My wife's uncle was a General (IIRC) in the Philippine army and known as the "Tiger of Mindanao". He loved killing the Muslim terrorists down there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It works as designed:
2. Blame Israel
3. ??????
4. Profit ...

What good is it to a observe a conflict if you are not honest about the actions of one side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works as designed:
2. Blame Israel
3. ??????
4. Profit ...

What are you talking about now?

Who wasn't honest?  About what?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll bet the Micks and Flips are drinking together right now like the bad motherfuckers they are. My hat is off to both.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It works as designed:
2. Blame Israel
3. ??????
4. Profit ...

See my above post I am wrong about the observers on the Syrian border.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yet they haven't have they?  And both sides trust that the other side isn't sneaking into those positions, because they know the UN forces are there, are neutral, and would see it.

They aren't tasked, authorized, or equipped to go conduct a rescue raid into Syria, and if a commander tried to order such a mission the subordinate commanders representing the other nations there would laugh and refuse.

It Ireland or the Philippines want to declare their forces there are now under national control, and lead a combat operations, nobody will stop them.  Same in Rwanda, for that matter.  But it's more fun to blame the nameless faceless "UN" boogie man.  All the UN does is provide the legal, mutually agreed upon framework for a given mission, after which nations pledge actual forces to man it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the very first time somebody else tries to occupy those positions, they are successful, not even a real army mind you. They could have just set up some cameras and sent feeds to the Israelis and the Syrians and the uninvolved troops could have stayed home for the last 40 years.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The UN building needs to be turned into Section 8 housing....It would be cheaper than what we pay to have the enemies of our country congregate there.
View Quote

better yet we could just rent it out as office space ....
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And the very first time somebody else tries to occupy those positions, they are successful, not even a real army mind you. They could have just set up some cameras and sent feeds to the Israelis and the Syrians and the uninvolved troops could have stayed home for the last 40 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except, that's not what the UNSCR established.  Must be great to have all the answers.  Meanwhile, the Israelis and Syrians both seem to have been OK with what was established, the and participating countries as well.  As for how a mob of AQ or what not got the the Fijians?  Like I said, that is where I'd fault Lt Gen Singha more than anything.  That happened on his watch.  But, maybe the Fijians were just incompetent, and failed to secure their area.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

He  Court Martialed and given a BCD. He appealed and lost.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Except, that's not what the UNSCR established.  Must be great to have all the answers.  Meanwhile, the Israelis and Syrians both seem to have been OK with what was established, the and participating countries as well.  As for how a mob of AQ or what not got the the Fijians?  Like I said, that is where I'd fault Lt Gen Singha more than anything.  That happened on his watch.  But, maybe the Fijians were just incompetent, and failed to secure their area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have all the answers, far from it. I just know that blue helmets are never the answer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don't have all the answers, far from it. I just know that blue helmets are never the answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet, time and time again, UN missions are sought, pieced together, manned, and deployed.  But, the guy who gets them confused just knows they don't work.  

Feelings.... nothing more than feelings... trying to forget my... feelings of love...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The UN building needs to be turned into Section 8 housing....It would be cheaper than what we pay to have the enemies of our country congregate there.
View Quote

In reality, it already is Section 8 housing.  

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top