User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Pg2

That's fucked up. Lol
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It is true it is irreversible, but if you have a specific event occur I have been told a doctor can prescribe meds that will minimize damage if taken immediately after. Atleast that's what my acoustical physics professor said.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I get tired of being told to turn the music down.

Number 2 for me. Mostly in the left ear. It really got bad after a nasty sinus/ear infection a number of years ago.  Tried to treat it myself before I gave up and went to the docs. That along with metal working and race engines, especially fuel cars, are mostly to blame for me I believe.

Highs and lows mostly gone for me. I'm more careful these days.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But I have to guess at what they're telling me...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The voices in my head are the only thing I can hear above the ringing in my ears.
But I have to guess at what they're telling me...  

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

NOPE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It.

Never.

Stops.

EVER.

NOPE

Never ever goes away.  

20 years working around F15s and F16s.  Years spent shooting obscene amounts of surplus ammo without proper ear protection turned me into the deaf old man I am today.

Fans don't work for me anymore.  I have to sleep with the TV or radio on  

Kids, use plugs AND muffs.  If you don't have it, count yourself lucky.  You have no idea how annoying tinnitus really is or how it affects your daily life.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
if you don't have it you don't want it. It can get really severe and go beyond being just a nuisance. Protect your ears while shooting.

If you've got it there are some triggers you may be able to eliminate to minimize the effects.

Caffeine - Check
Smoking - Check
Alcohol - Check
Stress - Check
Common pain killers like aspirin ibuprofin etc. - Check
High blood pressure - Check

Managing the coffee and alcohol intake has had a significant effect for me.
View Quote

I think I'm fucked.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Mines not too bad yet. I need to find a outdoor range.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#8]
TV or music in the background during the day.  White noise for sleep.  What I can never enjoy is "quiet"  EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Mine sounds like those old damn cash registers at JC Penny late 70's, just not as painful as those.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It.

Never.

Stops.
EVER.

View Quote

And ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever....
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
It's not a cure, but hearing aids are a blessing. Ambient noise, conversation, etc. becomes loud enough to drown it out. When I take a pee in the toilet while wearing them it seems my head is in the bowl as I can hear the stream in both mid flight and crashing into the water/sides of bowl. The effect is rather humorous.

There are downsides. My car has way more rattles, clunks, bangs, squeals and wheezes than I realized. It prompted me to put it on blocks for half the summer and put all my shooting money into it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

TV or music in the background during the day.  White noise for sleep.  What I can never enjoy is "quiet"  EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
View Quote

Funny thing... as loud and incessant as mine is, the sound of water running in a shower masks it enough it becomes background noise, and I can ignore it.  So I get about 15 minutes of "quiet time" every day.

Maybe you just haven't found that perfect set of sounds yet that will help mask yours.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Good solid type 2.
13 years on bikes and 4 in helicopters.

OP yer a dick
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I work in a hospital and there are certain machines, that are used in patient care, that I cannot hear when they alarm unless I am standing right next to them. I could be charting at the nursing station and an IV Pump be alarming in the nearest room and it pisses of my co-workers because it looks like I just sit there and ignore it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is all. We now return to our previously scheduled programming.
View Quote

ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!!!

With someone that has had it for over 40 years, It Sucks.
Hell I have a fan on right now.
Never gets better. Mine changed pitch too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think I'm fucked. ME TOO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if you don't have it you don't want it. It can get really severe and go beyond being just a nuisance. Protect your ears while shooting.

If you've got it there are some triggers you may be able to eliminate to minimize the effects.

Caffeine - Check Yea
Smoking - Check Hell No
Alcohol - Check Stopped Drinking
Stress - Check  Not so much now that I'm done working
Common pain killers like aspirin ibuprofin etc. - Check They don't work, so no.
High blood pressure - Check Yup, but on medication

I think I'm fucked. ME TOO

Added:
Motorcycle
Weapons
Chain saws, yard equipment
Boat motor
I wear ear plugs for those, except for the bike., and fishing.

For me, I'll add OLD AGE!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had a mild case for years, it doesn't prevent me from sleeping at night but I do hear it almost all the time.  Shooting, bikes, racing engines, etc, etc.

I've got a friend who swears by a product called Ring Stop.  It's available from Amazon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I work in a hospital and there are certain machines, that are used in patient care, that I cannot hear when they alarm unless I am standing right next to them. I could be charting at the nursing station and an IV Pump be alarming in the nearest room and it pisses of my co-workers because it looks like I just sit there and ignore it.
View Quote

Everything in a hospital beeps, squeeks, buzzes, whistles, rings, etc.  It's too easy to either not hear or ignore one even if you have normal hearing.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks... jerk.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#20]
On the bright side, it makes it hard to hear the wife nagging me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#21]
What???? Say again???
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#22]
WHAT?

You guys need to get married if you are having issues blocking out certain sounds at will......

I keeed, I keeed.......I love my wife, I love my wife........

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The voices in my head are the only thing I can hear above the ringing in my ears.
View Quote

Married, I take it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
FUCK!!!!!!!! YOU!!!!!!!!! OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DIDN'T NOTICE IT UNTIL THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!! DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine is a constant tone which is nice :)  It came after an ear infection :(
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Did you know that it's the VA's #1 disability?

Read this story a while back about a promising treatment.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2692010/Gel-stops-constant-buzzing-ears.html
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Not noticeable unless I think about it or I'm trying to go to sleep. Mine started the day I shot about six rounds of .22 mag out of a four inch Ruger Single Six with no ear pro.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Unfortunatly for me, it seems to be genetic in my family.  
I'm pretty good at tuning it out mentally though
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Fans dont work any more for me.
Now I use ear phones and listen to Jubal Sackett every single night.
Its the only book ive read so many times I can sleep through it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#31]
FPNI

Lots of shooting without hearing protection plus several years of concerts and construction work when I was younger has lead to my tinnitus. I've just learned to deal with it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Luckily for me I sleep well, the sound of my CPAP covers the incessant ringing in my ears....
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I now hate the OP
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It.

Never.

Stops.

EVER.

View Quote

THIS. Seriously. FUCK....
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Curse you
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#36]
FUCK OFF....
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:09:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I went over to a friend's house, he bought a couple new pistols he wanted to show me, and that turned into an impromptu trip to the local indoor range.

I hate indoor ranges, but hey, any chance to burn powder can only be a good thing.  I only had my Surefire EP3s in the truck though, and like an idiot I didn't get any muffs from the range.  We spent maybe an hour or so there, and I was terrified afterwards because my ears wouldn't quit ringing for like three days.

I'm sorry for you guys that are stuck with that shit permanently.
View Quote

Yeah.  Don't worry, it'll be back.  Later.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thank You Drill Sergeant Faison for making us take our earplugs out on the Live fire & Maneuver range At Ft Benning AIT in January 1979.

I was AG on the 60, My ears were in screaming pain for a week after that, the tinnitus never left.

I've made a lot of mistakes to compound it along the way since then, but on that day, it began.
View Quote

Where is he today?  The Aztecs skinned a guys face and arms because they didn't like him.  Life was difficult for that guy afterward.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Caffeine
Smoking
Alcohol
Stress
Common pain killers like aspirin ibuprofin etc.
High blood pressure

View Quote

So give up the things that make life worth living or tolerating?

Embrace the EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For anyone reading this who doesn't have tinnitus - wear your damn ear pro.

And for reference, go to this site for examples of what we listen to 24/7.  American Tinnitus Association.

I have something close to example 1 in one ear, and example 2 in the other.  Really, really loud.    
View Quote

Got some #6 in my left ear with the occasional temporary visit by #1. They didn't have an example of my right ear but it sounds like a voice telling me to burn things. Some times it can get very loud. In all seriousness, its when things are at their quietest that the ringing is at its worst. Like a power out while laying in bed trying to sleep. So loud it hurts.

Mop...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish my tinnitus I was given in the USAF  was due to sexy things like guns, bombs, or engines.

I got mine from high volume air blowers on LRUs (electronics) from aircraft.  They pack the electronics in them tight and it requires lots of air to cool it.  It was loud but not really loud that you thought you needed earpro.   They decided it was a threat to hearing after I worked on it for two years.  THEN they gave us earmuffs.

Mine is kind of a wavering EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe sound.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Reminds me of the F-4 thread.
Overhead fly byes are awesome the first couple of times.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
FUCK!!!!!!!! YOU!!!!!!!!! OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DIDN'T NOTICE IT UNTIL THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!! DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

And for reference, go to this site for examples of what we listen to 24/7.  American Tinnitus Association.

I have something close to example 1 in one ear, and example 2 in the other.  Really, really loud.    
View Quote

Definitely number 6 in both ears. I need the tv or music on to fall asleep. Its pretty bearable the rest or the day unless it super quiet. I'm only 22 so I know its gonna get worse later on...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:02:55 PM EDT
[#45]
as someone that medically retired partially because of it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I think we own 3 of those mechanical white noise machines. I run one at full throttle in the bedroom with another blower fan by my head. My hearing's still ok per the audiogram last month, with a few frequencies approaching the bottom normal range. That doesn't sound like a big deal, unless you compare it with my test from 15 years ago and can see a 15-20db change or more in some spots.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wonder how many fans I have worn out since 1984?
View Quote

i listen to tv on low volume. you'd think it would be distracting, but not if it is the same show every night, it actually gets to a point where your mind is conditioned for sleepy time as soon as you hear it. I'm out within 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#48]
I have tinnitus and hearing loss. I hate people that think this shit is funny.

There's a special place in hell for the OP. A place where there is an empty grey room with nothing in it and the OP's eeeeeeeee being played right at the threshold of pain.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have 2 and 3 in right ear.  my friend's stepdad convinced me i didnt need ear pro to shoot an automatic shotgun all day. I was much younger and peer pressurable then (This was at a fudd range - none of them were wearing ear pro)
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread rings a bell.

TRG
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top