Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/1/2014 7:22:26 AM EDT

On this day in 2004, an armed gang of Chechen separatist rebels enters a school in southern Russia and takes more than 1,000 people hostage.  The rebels demanded the withdrawal of Russian troops from the disputed nearby region of Chechnya.  September 1 was the first day of a new school year for millions of students across Russia, a day of celebration in schools that both parents and students traditionally attend.  Nearly 340 people, about half of them children, died in the ensuing three-day ordeal.  

The rebels stormed the school at 9:30 a.m. on September 1, just after a ceremony celebrating the new school year had ended.  They initially held more than 1,000 hostages, though some were released later that day.  The hostages were crowded into the school's gym, where they were surrounded by mines and bombs to prevent them from escaping.  The rebels placed children along the room's windows to discourage Russian authorities from storming the building and randomly shot off their guns to intimidate the hostages. Temperatures quickly rose in the overcrowded gym, forcing the hostages to strip nearly naked to stay cool.  The captors refused to allow food or drink into the school; some hostages were forced to drink their own urine to keep from dehydrating in the hot building.

Finally, on the morning of September 3, the rebels allowed Russian emergency workers in to retrieve the bodies of those who had been killed in their initial assault on the school.  Soon after, two bombs in the gym were accidentally detonated, one of which caused the gym's roof to collapse. In the subsequent chaos, some hostages escaped.  When the rebels began to shoot children, Russian special forces stormed the school.  Over the course of the next few hours, the Russian troops secured the building, killing all but one of the 32 attackers.   Rescue workers found hundreds of bodies in the debris of the burned-out former school gym.  More than 700 others were wounded.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#1]

I pray it never happens here.

Or anywhere else again for that matter.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I pray it never happens here.

Or anywhere else again for that matter.

View Quote
I concur. one of the saddest displays of cowardice the world has ever seen.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#3]
ISIS would certainly be willing to attempt it, if they have/ever get enough of their people on US soil to pull it off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I get a virus warning on one or all of those pics

Anyway living here in the Netherlands and having a school going child it is one of my main worries as far as terrorism goes.

As for tactics I'm not sure but my best bet would be to use that knocck out gass the Russians used and go in ASAP in the hope of getting as many out alive.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Anyway living here in the Netherlands and having a school going child it is one of my main worries as far as terrorism goes.

As for tactics I'm not sure but my best bet would be to use that knocck out gass the Russians used and go in ASAP in the hope of getting as many out alive.
View Quote

The gas that they used to kill the hostages in the theatre along with the terrorists?

In their defense,it was a more peaceful way of going than making entry into the school with thermobaric rockets and RPGs. They brought the roof of the gym down on top of the hostages while shooting RPGs into the side of the buildings to make entry. Of course the terrorists are the ones responsible but when it comes to the actual method of death,the Russians killed more hostages than the Chechens did directly.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#6]
watch the last 5 minutes of the video. frightening to say the least!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I cry just reading the wikipedia entry. Not gonna watch the video
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I read Giduck's book on it before I knew who/what he was.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Weren't the chechens muslim?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes they are and they are often blonde blue eyed, beware
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#11]
The problem is what if they manage to do this in our country? What will we do? What if they take down several schools at once? The islamists will try again so hopefully our LE/Mil are ready for this.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Poll should be when will this happen again?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The problem is what if they manage to do this in our country? What will we do? What if they take down several schools at once? The islamists will try again so hopefully our LE/Mil are ready for this.
View Quote

Then it will time for another round of gun control.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:49:35 AM EDT
[#14]
It will happen here.

They don't talk about the raping of the girls and then murdering them and dumping their bodies out the window in most mainstream news sources.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#15]
The Esquire article by Chivers  is very much worth reading

Cold as I'm on my phone but

http://www.esquire.com/_mobile/features/ESQ0606BESLAN_140

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#16]
This will absolutely, with no doubt in my mind, happen in our lifetime.

The "media" coverage blitz on it will make 9/11 pale in the comparison in it's coverage as they come to feed.

And our leaders continue to play the fiddle...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The Esquire article by Chivers  is very much worth reading

Cold as I'm on my phone but

http://www.esquire.com/_mobile/features/ESQ0606BESLAN_140
View Quote
http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ0606BESLAN_140

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I also think we should be asking ourselves if any American converts begin turning against us. I'm sure some of you remember the white convert with the red hair who drove a truck bomb into a Syrian Army checkpoint don't you? How long before they start doing it to us?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless the take all the military equipment and training away from LE. Both the conservatives and liberals agree that the militarization of LE is bad, Do m-4s, MRAPs and Level III armor
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#20]
could a similar terrorist attack happen again?
View Quote

What has changed to make it not possible?  Nothing.

If someone has the manpower and determination nothing we have done will prevent it.  Maybe if half the teachers were armed and sacrificed themselves taking a bad guy with them the plan would have been impossible but that isn't happening any time soon.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:42:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

LE/Mil will be absolutely worthless in this circumstance.  They will stand around for 3 days debating who the IC is, while the terrorists rape, murder and harden the target.  Then when all the dunkin doughnut fatboys and squeezed into their multi-cam kool guy kit, the terrorists blow up the school, kill all the kids, a few of the cops, and then we will have some gun control bills introduced into congress.

You harden the target.  Armed guards or, preferrably, armed teachers.

Once they are in, you are fucked.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
LE/Mil will be absolutely worthless in this circumstance.  They will stand around for 3 days debating who the IC is, while the terrorists rape, murder and harden the target.  Then when all the dunkin doughnut fatboys and squeezed into their multi-cam kool guy kit, the terrorists blow up the school, kill all the kids, a few of the cops, and then we will have some gun control bills introduced into congress.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

when it does happen the only thing to do is call in the army rangers and have them do what they are trained to do.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck, I hope you're wrong!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Nor the executing of the older boys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It will happen here.

They don't talk about the raping of the girls and then murdering them and dumping their bodies out the window in most mainstream news sources.

Nor the executing of the older boys.
why would the media report the facts?

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
when it does happen the only thing to do is call in the army rangers and have them do what they are trained to do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would be honestly better off with a posse that went in immediately under police leadership.
You have less than one hour before they would all be in the gymnasium and the bombs strung up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#27]
When there's 30+ terrorists taking over a school that has 1 SRO, there's not much of a chance of fending off the attack.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much training do Army Rangers get in rescuing school children from a hostage situation?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if?

When one little basement dwelling fuckstick in suburban CT can walk into a school and kill 20 kids and six adults in a matter of a few minutes, or a nutjob at Virginia Tech can kill 32 and wound 17, what do you think an assault on a high school or college campus in a population center by a trained group or groups could do?

How large are the lecture hall classes at any Big 10 University? Imagine if the Boston Marathon bombers had carried their backpacks into one or more of them on the first day of class. Nobody would have given them a second glance.

I hope it never happens, but the logical side of me wonders why it hasn't already.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How much training do Army Rangers get in rescuing school children from a hostage situation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

they wouldn't spend three days waiting for the terrorist to harden the target, at least.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You would be honestly better off with a posse that went in immediately under police leadership.

You have less than one hour before they would all be in the gymnasium and the bombs strung up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

once it happens it a done deal. bs negotiations to prove they are the religion of peace. I think the brutal firepower of a ranger bat would be a eye opener for the other terrorists planning similar acts of cowardice.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

army mout training. once the operation started it would be over very quickly! potus zero might wait  a week but potus Reagan wouldn't hesitate a hour!

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#33]
They should make anyone involved in education study up on this event.

I tell my kids all the time - you hear gunshots or trouble - RUN IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION, jump out the window, just get away.

I remember after Newtown that I was arguing with FUCKING IDIOTS on facebook about whether or not teachers should be armed.

I'm thinking that the only tactic to stop this would be to tell anyone thinking about this kind of shit, that if it happens to us, we will fucking VAPORIZE your entire fucking country.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What if?

When one little basement dwelling fuckstick in suburban CT can walk into a school and kill 20 kids and six adults in a matter of a few minutes, or a nutjob at Virginia Tech can kill 32 and wound 17, what do you think an assault on a high school or college campus in a population center by a trained group or groups could do?

How large are the lecture hall classes at any Big 10 University? Imagine if the Boston Marathon bombers had carried their backpacks into one or more of them on the first day of class. Nobody would have given them a second glance.

I hope it never happens, but the logical side of me wonders why it hasn't already.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if?

Look at airport security.  We have crowds of people lined up shoulder to shoulder carrying cumbersome baggage waiting to get checked out to prevent someone from sneaking a weapon onto a crowded plane.  How retarded is that?  We herd people together to make sure they are safe to be herded together?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Children are our most prized and precious possession and resource.

For anyone to think that terrorists aren't keenly aware of this is pure ignorance or at the very least, complete foolishness.

Woe to anyone in America who proudly proclaims their Muslim faith after a deliberate attack on our children.

I'm not advocating, suggesting or condoning random vigilante work, I'm simply stating what I believe will happen. No one stands between parent and child. Even those who have no children are sensitive to their defense.

There are a significant number of Americans who will not sit idle when this happens here at home, and not just those who have taken the official oath to protect...consequences be damned.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#36]
The saving grace is that homegrown jihadis in the US -at least so far- are singular or at best acquainted rather than forming actual cells and there just aren't groups of 30 of them committed to such a thing.

If there were,I'm sure a similar attack would have already happened.

To that extent,the US has been lucky that they've mostly gone elsewhere with their jihad. Lets be honest,15 guys rolling out of a U-Haul truck with legally purchased ARs would initially overwhelm LE at a large event,let alone attacking some place like a small college football game where there are 10,000 potential hostages/victims.
 Would they all get killed eventually? Sure but the idea that the Rangers are going to make it to the middle of the country or pick a city before they commit many murders is nuts.

The DC sniper showed what 2 nuts could do. The Boston manhunt showed how big of a clusterfuck looking for 1 guy who wasn't shooting back would become. That's all the US has been so far,lucky...because the TSA sure as fuck didn't detain Tsarnaev returning from Chechnya or that now dead jihadi from Syria.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Something like that if it happened here the response would be completely different at least in the public's eye. The Chechen's had a strong resolve & the Russians? Well they tend to go in with a machete rather then a scalpel.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

As for tactics I'm not sure but my best bet would be to use that knock out gas the Russians used and go in ASAP in the hope of getting as many out alive.

View Quote
umm...yea, please don't use that if I'm involved.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I read Giduck's book on it before I knew who/what he was.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Careful, someone will accuse you of being an internet wannabe.

The fact that you are right is irrelevant. For the vast majority of people doing something is anathema to their existence they have completely ceded their ability to think and act in these types of situations to the authorities. It will be soul crushing for them when the illusion of safety, maintained by others, is shattered, as it will inevitably be.

On a different note, I am still amazed the Russians didn't raze that section of Chechnya and salt the earth. I would not have said boo if they neutron bombed it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As for tactics I'm not sure but my best bet would be to use that knock out gas the Russians used and go in ASAP in the hope of getting as many out alive.

you should edit your post. there is nothing funny here.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and now at the University of Tulsa roaming around.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I also think we should be asking ourselves if any American converts begin turning against us. I'm sure some of you remember the white convert with the red hair who drove a truck bomb into a Syrian Army checkpoint don't you? How long before they start doing it to us?
View Quote

dude..
ask Brennan.

not exactly playing on our side and he is the head of the CIA. the White House and its administration is loaded with them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
When there's 30+ terrorists taking over a school that has 1 SRO, there's not much of a chance of fending off the attack.
View Quote

Some local governments have done a lot to prepare for such an event. Others have their heads in the sand.

A "SRO" is a good start but his primary purpose will be to sound the alarm and get help on the way.

In my opinion police stations and fire stations should be close to schools. Sprinting distance close. You have to put it some where. Put it across the street from potential targets not three miles away in an industrial park next to a tow yard.

Schools should have cameras covering the approaches. Those cameras should feed to monitors in the police stations break room & report writing rooms, the fire station, the dispatch center, ect.

The police, fire, hospitals and school staff should drill togather regularly. once a year minimum. Monthly is better.

Every city cop should be able to tell you the distance between fixed positions such as the roof of the police station to football field press box or driveway apron to front door, and his sight setting or hold overs to make that shot. Frequent training at ranges that allow shooting to those distances.

I've helped with exactly that sort of training for one city. I'm not kidding when I say they can put 50 cops in the building in 5 minutes or less with another 200 withen 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The problem with a situation like this is I believe it would be treated as hostage situation instead of an active shooter.

My opinion on this is not popular with police brass but I think any hostage type situation should be treated as an active shooter, teams form up, hunt down and kill the bad guys.

There will more than likely be innocents killed but if you wait then it will be even harder to rescue them.
View Quote

100% correct in the day and age. Hostage Situations should be acted upon as an Active Shooter. gone are the days of a typical hostage situation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Something like that if it happened here the response would be completely different at least in the public's eye. The Chechen's had a strong resolve & the Russians? Well they tend to go in with a machete rather then a scalpel.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Spetsnaz-Mission-Accomplished.jpg

View Quote

Too bad that picture isn't accurate.

42 terrorists, yes. But there were close to 900 hostages, not 129.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, antis will claim that the guns/explosives used were purchased at a gun show. I pray that we don't see any attack like this again, but I really don't think it would be all that difficult for them to pull off with our current border situation. Hopefully I am wrong.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

100% correct in the day and age. Hostage Situations should be acted upon as an Active Shooter. gone are the days of a typical hostage situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem with a situation like this is I believe it would be treated as hostage situation instead of an active shooter.

My opinion on this is not popular with police brass but I think any hostage type situation should be treated as an active shooter, teams form up, hunt down and kill the bad guys.

There will more than likely be innocents killed but if you wait then it will be even harder to rescue them.

And city cops should know their schools like they know their own homes.

if the school is vacant over the summer then the cops should be training there all summer. a couple coats of paint will cover the sims marks before school starts. when someone says the casualty collection point is room 56A and active gunfire in portable number 13B nobody from the police of fire department should need to look at a map to know where that is.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Airline hijacking too. Just don't see any good coming from negotiating these days.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top