Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/31/2014 10:45:31 PM EDT
I recently had to send in my strikefire and I really liked using the open sights. I never used them before, because of the strikefire. I'm not sure I want to put the strikefire back on top. Red dots are a form of a holographic sights, right?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Besides the obvious of batteries and damage that inhibits function.

Edit: to add red dot in title.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You've been here since 2009 and have over 4,000 posts and you don't know?

Iron sights: good for precision as long as your eyes are still good and light conditions are good.

Red dot: not as precise, but faster than using irons and permits decent shooting as your eyesight degrades with age and in poor light conditions.

Telescopic: good for punching paper and target identification, sucks for close-in moving targets.

For my paper-punching guns, I like irons (for as long as I can use 'em) or telescopic sights.
For my "shit just got real" long guns, I like red dots.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
My FAVORITES are carryhandle guns, A2 sites.
That said, most of my rifles wear ACOG or Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
the methods employed in a red dot and a holo-sight are different. not in any meaningful-to-end-user way, but they are not the same.

that's all i had to say.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You've been here since 2009 and have over 4,000 posts and you don't know?

Iron sights: good for precision as long as your eyes are still good and light conditions are good.

Red dot: not as precise, but faster than using irons and permits decent shooting as your eyesight degrades with age and in poor light conditions.

Telescopic: good for punching paper and target identification, sucks for close-in moving targets.
View Quote

Well, I know some stuff, but I don't know everything bro. And I've never carried an AR for a living. I've never used  open sights on an AR before either, I've always had a red dot (till recently). I have 20/20 eye sight so no problems there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My FAVORITES are carryhandle guns, A2 sites.

That said, most of my rifles wear ACOG or Aimpoint.
View Quote
This, except mine are all over the place

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on what the AR is used for. On my carbine I have an aimpoint micro that I love. On my SPR-ish upper I have a vortex PST 2.5-10 that's awesome.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I like a true 1-4x on 16"+ ARs, and micro red dots on <16" ARs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Depends on what the AR is used for. On my carbine I have an aimpoint micro that I love. On my SPR-ish upper I have a vortex PST 2.5-10 that's awesome.
View Quote

I only have one AR, I don't see that changing anytime soon. I have it built as a shit hit the fan gun.

I'm just curious for the discussion on this question, don't think we've done this question in a few months.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I've gone through several optics on ARs and always fall back to iron sights. I do like my ACOG on the scar 17 though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer EOTech on my long guns. I like the 65 MOA reticle, and the viewing window.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I only have one AR, I don't see that changing anytime soon. I have it built as a shit hit the fan gun.

I'm just curious for the discussion on this question, don't think we've done this question in a few months.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I could only have one AR, I think I'd make it my 18" with a nice 1-4x.  Pretty versatile IMO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends on the use. I have two 16" rifles set up identically except for the optics (Aimpoint Pro and ACOG), a 20" with a scope, another with a red dot and magnifier, a couple with only irons, etc.

All depends on the purpose. All but the ones with irons have some form of alternative sight as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I prefer EOTech on my long guns. I like the 65 MOA reticle, and the viewing window.
View Quote

Throw a 3x magnifier with a swing to side mount on it and you have the best of both worlds. A fast 1x dot and a magnified optic when you need to reach out a little.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try looking at the target with both eyes open.  The window is irrelevant.  The circle is nice, though.

( < ----- Uses AImpoints and EOTechs, but prefers Aimpoints, especially the Micro)
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Throw a 3x magnifier with a swing to side mount on it and you have the best of both worlds. A fast 1x dot and a magnified optic when you need to reach out a little.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is my set up.

The PA long eye relief 3x magnifier makes a great combo.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
the methods employed in a red dot and a holo-sight are different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
the methods employed in a red dot and a holo-sight are different.

True dat.

not in any meaningful-to-end-user way, but they are not the same.

They differ greatly in the complexity of the techniques used to display them.

That's a very meaningful distinction to the end-user, because complexity tends to be related to reliability.

Generally, simpler is better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Try looking at the target with both eyes open.  The window is irrelevant.  The circle is nice, though.

( < ----- Uses AImpoints and EOTechs, but prefers Aimpoints, especially the Micro)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. I've got an Aimpoint T1 and I prefer my EOTech (not that the T1 isn't a nice optic, because it really is nice.)
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personally, I've never seen much usefulness to magnification lower than 4x at the lowest.  Certainly not enough to offset the additional weight of the magnifier.  I like the concept in theory, though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lol. I've got an Aimpoint T1 and I prefer my EOTech (not that the T1 isn't a nice optic, because it really is nice.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop liking the things that I don't like!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Personally, I've never seen much usefulness to magnification lower than 4x at the lowest.  Certainly not enough to offset the additional weight of the magnifier.  I like the concept in theory, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like some magnification when shooting past ~50 yds. I'd want it even more if I was trying to hit more precisely then just center of man.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I chose the smallest legal package I could get. Although I could have made it lighter, helps not having a sight on top. This is another reason I don't think I want to put the red dot on top.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Right now I've got red dots on all ARs except for a scope on my first foolish AR purchase. I like them all fine. What I really want, though, is a Trijicon or Meprolight reflex with a triangle reticule. The triangle reticule looks like it lets you get the best of both worlds, precise when you want, and quick when you want.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#23]
get both.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:57:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Right now I've got red dots on all ARs except for a scope on my first foolish AR purchase. I like them all fine. What I really want, though, is a Trijicon or Meprolight reflex with a triangle reticule. The triangle reticule looks like it lets you get the best of both worlds, precise when you want, and quick when you want.
View Quote

I'd try out a chevron or triangle type reticule first.

As cool as the TA31 seems with the 'chevron of death', I personally found it it wasn't the best for me. Kinda wished I had gotten Horseshoe-dot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#25]
No love for laser sights?  Never tried one except on a pistol (wife has a Crimson Trace) but was thinking about it.  Seems a scope and a laser would go together ok.

What about these combo things with a scope and a red dot sight?  Looks gimmicky but are they usable?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:16:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No love for laser sights?  Never tried one except on a pistol (wife has a Crimson Trace) but was thinking about it.  Seems a scope and a laser would go together ok.

What about these combo things with a scope and a red dot sight?  Looks gimmicky but are they usable?
View Quote

Nope.

Not unless we're talking about IR lasers and Night Vision...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:57:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Irons or medium power scope.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:31:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Red dot and zoom optics.

Nothing wrong with iron sights though IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:32:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Iron sights are what they had to use before the discovery of electricity.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:40:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Quality 2 MOA (or even 4 MOA) red dots are more precise than standard irons.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:11:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I have an EOTech on one of them and ACOG on the other.  They both have their strong points and disadvantages.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Astigmatism made me sell my Aimpoint.

I've found the Trijicon Accupoint  with green triangle still works perfectly despite my eyes.  And works without batteries.

I've found some ACOG reticles like the horseshoe have a double image when I look through them, while more crosshair type reticles look fine.

Eotechs concern me a little.  Still seem to read a bit more about them having issues, though it's not as bad as it was years ago in terms of batteries draining, or losing zero.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:40:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I only have one AR, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
View Quote

I know what those words are, however, when placed in that order I am unable to decipher the meaning.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No love for laser sights?
View Quote

They are great in Battlefield 4. People leave them on all the time which makes following the beam back to a badguy rather easy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:45:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I have the Green Dot

Boxed up the Eotech and installed a Vortex StrikeFire II.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:59:23 AM EDT
[#36]
What do you use your ar's for? Mine are for hunting= so they wear scopes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:02:06 AM EDT
[#37]
depends

general use?  Eotech

I would like an ACOG in the worst way, but I can't afford one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I like red dots with back by irons for 200 yards or less, Magnified optics beyond that point. EOtechs are Garbage. Stick with an aimpoint if you want a sight that will last a decade.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#39]
When I first got into ARs many moons ago, everything I had was all about SHTF or whatever you want to call it. I had 4 MOA Aimpoints on everything. I took a bunch of the various "tactical" type classes and I had a lot of fun.

Now I am middle aged and I have kinda gotten away from the whole SHTF thing. Don't get me wrong, I can and would defend myself with an AR, but I have come to appreciate the AR more as an accurate and reliable range gun that can easily be gunsmithed at home to make it whatever you want it to be. My focus has shifted to more accuracy based shooting. I like shooting from positions on paper; but again, that is just me. I like to test my skill with the rifle. Also with middle age came the declining vision. Glasses at 40................ So, I am in the process of putting good glass on at least a couple of my ARs.

I honestly believe that everyone should become proficient with shooting a rifle with iron sights. Understanding how to correctly adjust sights.......... But, in my case I did that and now I want to move on to something that enhances my ability to see. I have (this summer) become involved in shooting Appleseed classes. I think this teaches a good solid minimum level of accuracy. Last month I shot an Appleseed using an AR with a scope and easily shot a "Rifleman" score twice out of two attempts. I returned this past weekend with the same AR minus the scope to try again to score "Rifleman" using the iron sights. And I failed after spending about 15 hours on the range and firing around 400 rounds of ammo.  I don't want to make excuses, but I think it is pretty obvious that my vision isn't always up to the task. I have scored "Rifleman" running iron sights, but I can't do it consistently.

I guess the point is that the sighting system you use is a very personal thing. As has been mentioned, your intended purpose of the rifle is one of the biggest issues. But in addition, the sighting system can make up for your own personal weaknesses.

Obviously one big thing about using iron sights is that you can't see them in low light. This is not only a factor for combat type senarios but also hunting as well as target shooting on a overcast day. Not to mention shooting small/precision targets with a background that doesn't enhance the definition of the target. It is one thing to shoot a black target on a white background and it is another matter to shoot a black target with nothing but woods behind it.  In the various classes I took, this became very obvious to me just how big a deal this is. You often hear on the internet about how you as a civilian have no business engaging a target in low light because you can't positively identify the target. And this is true. But there are also situations where you CAN identify the target but still can't see your sights. I once shot an IDPA match when I lived in the southwestern US. It was so hot during the day in the summer that they held the IDPA match at night. It was much cooler and also was good practice for low light shooting. This particular match there was a bright moon and most of the stages of the match were no problem. However they had one senario where you were inside your house, heard people outside robbing your garage. So you were supposed to stay behind cover in the house and light up the targets outside at the garage. When you light them up, they turn and engage you with deadly force. So, I could see them fine. They were standing outside in the moonlight and I had a light on them. But inside the "house" I coudln't see my sights at all. This showed me the reason I needed to equip my handgun with night sites. If I had been using an AR, this would have been the time to have either a red dot, or a scope.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:07:58 AM EDT
[#40]
My Ar doesn't have iron sights, has a Leupold 4-14x on it but it's use is varmint control, coyotes, coons, badgers, prairie dogs, etc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:16:18 AM EDT
[#41]
I prefer a TA31 w/ a doctored RMR. Not very high speed for 2014 when compared to all the new offset mounts and elcan specters out there, but it's what I know.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:17:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Careful, this looks like you might have a problem. I wouldn't be posting pictures with a fore grip mounted on a pistol. I'm no expert, but I think that is not kosher.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:17:37 AM EDT
[#43]
I live in the city where it's more likely a home invasion than a woodchuck hunt. I use irons for the sake of not stopping to tun anything on.
As much as I hear about an AR pistol being shitty for home defense I like the maneuverability and the diminished velocity won't matter when my longest room in the house is 22'. This gun I do have and EoTech on but I almost always find myself using the fixed irons I have on it to shoot.

My long gun had a PA red dot but lately I just used the flip up magpul sights. I can hit clay pigeons on the berm with reliable accuracy and that's all I need to do.

I do have a scoped 15-22 and its fun to shoot but I just don't like sitting at a bench while shooting. I like to move around and my range allows that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Careful, this looks like you might have a problem. I wouldn't be posting pictures with a fore grip mounted on a pistol. I'm no expert, but I think that is not kosher.
View Quote

If the overall length is 26" it is legal as can be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
get both.
[url=http://i.link removedpng[/url]
nk removed

I wouldn't be quoting the links either.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:26:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's fine if length is 26" or more.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:30:55 AM EDT
[#47]
ACOG TR33. Pretty good all around optic.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a detachable carry handle on mine for now. Might go to a 1 x 4 scope.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:36:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA - If you think there is a window with your holographic sight or red dot, you're doing it wrong.  Or a pirate.  

For the average carbine, I prefer red dots.  I'm a bit faster.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#50]
After all, this is Arfcom, right.......

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top