BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Target LP are one of the few that routinely apprehend and go hands on with shoplifters.

Again, people here who are saying that "LP aren't allowed to detain you" are full of shit and don't know what they're talking about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if LP officers are NOT allowed to go hands on then someone better let these guys at Target know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zraLOHAjpUc

Target LP are one of the few that routinely apprehend and go hands on with shoplifters.

Again, people here who are saying that "LP aren't allowed to detain you" are full of shit and don't know what they're talking about.

Macys, Bloomingdale, Nordstrom, Bon-ton stores, Home Depot, Lord and Taylor, Nieman Marcus, and Target all have a hands on policy. Most other stores that don't allow hands on at the corporate policy level rarely follow it at the store level. On top of that most company's vary their policy based on store risk levels and geographic locations. Walmart is on such company. Some stores are allowed to go hands on others are not. People who are saying LP can't stop outside the store have no idea what they are talking about. In my AO it's not a theft until the person has completly left the building. If we made a stop inside the store the PD would not make the arrest. On top of all that this took place in Canada, LP are licensed by the province to work in that field and have a lot more authority and leeway when it comes to detaining people. The company I work for has two completly separate policies in regards to shoplifter apprehensions. One for U.S. Store and another for Canadian.  I've been in LP for 8 years now and have worked/work for a few of the above listed companies.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So if LP officers are NOT allowed to go hands on then someone better let these guys at Target know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zraLOHAjpUc

Exactly, Target is not Walmart. They actually seem to be a little bit more proactive and actually give their AP's what they need, unlike Walmart where they just do the least they can or just don't give a shit (my personal opinion from working for the company).

Every company has their own rules. Walmart changed their rules, and even the name of the department, when a loss prevention floor walker killed a shoplifter in a parking lot.  They went from LP to AP after that and changed their policy around as far as going hands on and chasing people down.  

Even the company I left Walmart for is a different world.  They look at as app as a citizens arrest and want me to go hands on if people don't stop and come back into the store.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Macys, Bloomingdale, Nordstrom, Bon-ton stores, Home Depot, Lord and Taylor, Nieman Marcus, and Target all have a hands on policy. Most other stores that don't allow hands on at the corporate policy level rarely follow it at the store level. On top of that most company's vary their policy based on store risk levels and geographic locations. Walmart is on such company. Some stores are allowed to go hands on others are not. People who are saying LP can't stop outside the store have no idea what they are talking about. In my AO it's not a theft until the person has completly left the building. If we made a stop inside the store the PD would not make the arrest. On top of all that this took place in Canada, LP are licensed by the province to work in that field and have a lot more authority and leeway when it comes to detaining people. The company I work for has two completly separate policies in regards to shoplifter apprehensions. One for U.S. Store and another for Canadian.  I've been in LP for 8 years now and have worked/work for a few of the above listed companies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my experience a lot of that depends on the Asset Protection Manager and the Store Manager (with Walmart).  Some store Managers and APM's are very by the book, others will get their hands dirty and not report any incidents where people go hands on.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'd bet that you can 'arrest,' but can't legally detain anyone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Derpfest. But it's Wal Mart, so no surprise.

eta: dude who allegedly stole is looking at a good payout if those were indeed Wal Mart employees who took him down.

Why is the thief going to get paid?

Because after Wal-Mart fires them they won't have high-price attorneys protecting them from the lawsuit of "I was defending myself from being attacked by two guys that weren't police but were attempting to imprison me / kidnap me" ?

Wrong!  At least in my state shop keepers can make arrests on shoplifters just like police can. Now if false arrest, yeah lawsuit.

I'd bet that you can 'arrest,' but can't legally detain anyone.

The laws covering this (usually called shopkeepers priviledge or merchant statutes) allow people to be detained for the purpose of investigation, and they usually put a time limit on it.  In VA, we can detain the suspected shoplifter up to an hour, and if we call the police we are allowed to hold them until the police arrive.

People use to word arrest, but in most states, LP isn't arresting anyone.. the police do that when they show up.  LP detains suspected shoplifters.. that's it.  And yeah, they better be right when they detain someone.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
LP guys better be right. I say good take down. Fuck all thieves.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
[b]

Nice try, being all confident in your answer and all. But wrong (ok, potentially partially correct in some locations but not universally correct). Laws vary in different parts of the country (and Canada) but here in FL they would be legally authorized to detain, and use physical force, to stop a theft. Regardless of in or out of the doors of the store. And no duty to retreat. Corporate policy is of little or no concern legally (just of concern for employment status)
View Quote

I agree that my post was based PRIMARILY on AZ law, but I am curious----are you saying that FL law allows a citizen who is NOT a agent of the retailer to use physical force to stop a theft, and can respond to escalation of force appropriately?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]
God that video is entertaining!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]

You do realize this is a state by state related issue? Because it sure doesn't look like it with you falsely putting this under some generic US law. In PA for example, it is codified into our state law that a merchant has the right to apprehend and detain a thief. The merchant and their employees are immune from prosecution in acts like this.
View Quote

I realize it is codified by state law.  However, in the case of PA law, would they be immune if the retailer specifically stated that they were acting outside his stated policy by apprehending a thief?  WalMart has a no-follow/no-detention policy.  When the two LP followed the thief, they may have instantly become "non-employees" in the eyes of WalMart.  I wonder how the state of PA would view that.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
God that video is entertaining!
View Quote

The thief was trying to steal 22LR and the neckbeards were not having any of that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A guy who went to my highschool got tackled by Best Buy's LP guy in the parking lot over a couple DVD's he lifted. He ended up with a real nice multi thousand dollar home entertainment set. Not bad for around $40 bucks in DVD's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

eta: dude who allegedly stole is looking at a good payout if those were indeed Wal Mart employees who took him down.

Yeah def. Both will be fired too.

A guy who went to my highschool got tackled by Best Buy's LP guy in the parking lot over a couple DVD's he lifted. He ended up with a real nice multi thousand dollar home entertainment set. Not bad for around $40 bucks in DVD's.

How could a guy who walked into a high school gets tackle by a guy who work at best buy?  That's some teleporting bullshit right there.  Is he like an off duty loss prevention who also work at the school???!!!????!!!

How hard was it to lift those receivers? Aren't they heavy?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

How could a guy who walked into a high school gets tackle by a guy who work at best buy?  That's some teleporting bullshit right there.  Is he like an off duty loss prevention who also work at the school???!!!????!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You know what is the biggest bullshit of this story? Is that if the two guys were cops they would be getting pay raises...
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree that my post was based PRIMARILY on AZ law, but I am curious----are you saying that FL law allows a citizen who is NOT a agent of the retailer to use physical force to stop a theft, and can respond to escalation of force appropriately?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]

Nice try, being all confident in your answer and all. But wrong (ok, potentially partially correct in some locations but not universally correct). Laws vary in different parts of the country (and Canada) but here in FL they would be legally authorized to detain, and use physical force, to stop a theft. Regardless of in or out of the doors of the store. And no duty to retreat. Corporate policy is of little or no concern legally (just of concern for employment status)

My recollection is that the owner or immediate relative may use physical force (not including deadly force unless otherwise justified) to stop a trespass or theft. In the case of a business/retail theft situation, like this one, then the owner or their employee may arrest/detain. If resisted it becomes a strong arm robbery (or worse in this case) which justifies defensive force. They are also protected civilly from liability for false arrest. Again, this specifically pertains to FL, other states/countries may vary. A citizen, who is not the agent of the business, may not be specifically covered but I would be quite surprised if they were charged with anything for assisting in stopping a shoplifter. Might get a certificate from the PD/SO. Not smart and could potentially lead to some civil liability but highly unlikely to lead to criminal charges unless they really went overboard.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Loss prevention is never supposed to initiate physical contact. With a good lawyer, he could argue pulling the knife was self defense from the assault that Wal Mart's staff started.

Because Wal Mart initiated the assault, they will pay to keep a good name in the public eye.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bullshit that beat to piss dirtball is getting a pay out.
It went from a citation if that to felony when he pulled the blade.

Loss prevention is never supposed to initiate physical contact. With a good lawyer, he could argue pulling the knife was self defense from the assault that Wal Mart's staff started.

Because Wal Mart initiated the assault, they will pay to keep a good name in the public eye.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#15]
That's 5 minutes from my house.

We're not as law suit crazy as you guys are down there so I doubt he will get a payout. He will face charges and who knows what'll happen to the two LP guys, I don't know the whole story.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Honestly depending on the type of retail location and the location you will see different thefts.
In the grocery stores in more of a semi suburban out of the main drags we got TONS more razor blade, and OTC med thefts.  Some of these dudes were slick and fast clearing out whole sections of them in seconds.  Less chances for them to get identified. One store was an hour and a half out of the main drag and was loosing 60k a week in OTC meds, we caught that dude with 6k in cold meds and the entire razor blade refill section in his shirt and pants.    

View Quote

While I am tempted to call BS on several parts of your story, especially about a hit being put out on an LPs life, I will only call this part out as BS for now. That would be over $3 million in shrink from just the pharmacy department a year.  

I would believe $60,000 in theft in a YEAR, I would even believe $150,000. But no way there was $3 million.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How high are you right now?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:49:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As much as I sympathize with the LP guys needing to defend themselves from a knife attack, here are some FACTS some posters are not correlating correctly:

1.  Several persons have posted that WalMart has a CORPORATE policy of not following shoplifters outside the store entrance.  I assume this corporate policy applies in Canada as well as the US.
2.  Assuming the policy applies in Canada, once the LP guys crossed the threshold of the store entrance and followed the thief outside the store, they lost ALL immunity of acting as agents of WalMart.  In other words, at this point, they are plain citizens, NOT Wal-Mart employees, as far as Wal-Mart is concerned.
3.  Now the legal discussion becomes one of "is the physical force justified to defend oneself from a knife attack?
4.  In US law, the court would find that the two now ex-LP guys failed to AVOID the knife attack.  In other words, they took actions to PROVOKE the knife attack, and thus are the guilty party in terms of causing the physical confrontation.
5.  Since they became the defacto instigators in this violent confrontation, they might face criminal charges under US law, if this incident had happened here.

Remember, in violent confrontations, the "reasonable man" theory will be applied to any jury trial.  Would a reasonable man continue to engage a man with a knife if he had the opportunity to walk away from the knife-holder and thus escape injury?
View Quote

LOL!!!!!!

Maybe in Arizona do they have such craptastic jurisprudence, but in Kansas (and about anywhere else) this is pure crap.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Interesting.   Like a goatfuck.

Loss Prevention better get their shit straight before they try that retard rodeo with someone that has a gun.    Two plainclothes fucks try and touch me and they're getting shot, regardless of whatever they're saying.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Curious , the amount of support the alleged thief is getting.

Also curious is the level of contempt and outright anger towards the loss prevention guys...

Do we have some wealth redistributionists posting?

One poster is gonna shoot anyone that touches him.

Have some here been... touched by mean LP workers?

View Quote

I fucking lol'd at that as well. Lots of derp in this thread.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top