Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

When the OT seems to disagree with the New Covenant, always go with what sounds like the most satisfying.
View Quote

Ummm Matthew  something, something "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.
18"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
19"Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.…
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Warn the pastor and let it go
Guy shot was a thief
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This comment usually spews from those with no idea what it really means.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
that's not very Christian

Are you contending that it's very Christian to shoot at a fleeing thief?

I don't think I would, and I'm an atheist. I can only imagine being Christian would make me even more forgivy.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#4]
IBTL.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Two to the head... that's some good shooting.

OTOH, the perp took two shots to the head and survived... the pastor needs more pistol.
View Quote

If he's shooting through auto glass, that can be a factor.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Ummm Matthew  something, something "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.
18"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
19"Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.…
View All Quotes
Quoted:

When the OT seems to disagree with the New Covenant, always go with what sounds like the most satisfying.

So how do you choose when they seem to disagree?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And specifically regarding adultery, how did Jesus demonstrate the fulfillment of those covenants?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

His church looks pretty small, and is in a poor neighborhood. Maybe he's squeezing his church, maybe he has a day job and good credit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
lawls. the Pastor drives a Lincoln Navigator.  I didn't know you made money as a Pastor.

Religion is big business, especially in the south.

His church looks pretty small, and is in a poor neighborhood. Maybe he's squeezing his church, maybe he has a day job and good credit.

Maybe he's being ostentatious while serving a poor community. No, not maybe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Precisely right.  This is why true Christians would never wear mixed fiber clothing, eat shrimp or shellfish, or allow a menstruating woman into their home.  Also why Christians to this day stone people for doing any sort of physical labor on Saturday, and also why they stone their children to death for being disobedient.  The Law must be obeyed to the smallest letter and stroke.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And specifically regarding adultery, how did Jesus demonstrate the fulfillment of those covenants?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you mean the one where half the men were probably sleeping with the whore they wished to stone?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#11]
"thief shot twice" is all I need to know
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Is Yellow the new  "Orange"?
Ed
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Actually, I don't believe that's a prerequisite for forgiveness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If a thief is found breaking into a home, and he is struck so that he dies, no blood shall be spilled for him.

You should forgive a man not 7 times, but 70 times 7.

The man has to ask first.

That is how the parable played out.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a thief is found breaking into a home, and he is struck so that he dies, no blood shall be spilled for him.

The man has to ask first.

But what about "forgive them for they know not what they do"? Doesn't not being aware of your wrongs imply not being able to ask for forgiveness?

I realize that that wasn't directed at people, but isn't the sentiment valid either way? That it's nice to forgive even the unaware and/or unrepentant?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Acts 20:35
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, I forgive the pastor for, in the heat of the moment, firing at a vehicle coming down on him as it passed by.  

I pray the thief forgives him as well.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two to the head... that's some good shooting.

OTOH, the perp took two shots to the head and survived... the pastor needs more pistol.

Well, he tried his best.  I say acceptable shoot, it would have been better if he'd put more lead in the head though.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would no bill him.  Still shooting in the heat of it.   Now if it was execution style that's something else.
View Quote

I would no bill him either.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:39:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WWJD?   He turned the tables on the Pharisees just as he would being robbed.  There's always some human inscribed verse to be applied/misapplied when one cannot think for themsevles.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
WWJD?   He turned the tables on the Pharisees just as he would being robbed.  There's always some human inscribed verse to be applied/misapplied when one cannot think for themsevles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right, I do all of my own thinking.  It means never having to read anything.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't steal and absolutely do not fuck with the A/C !!

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#22]
"When I woke up this morning, I heard a disturbing sound!....For the day of the Lord cometh, as a thief in the night." -- Rev.  Cleophus Jones
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Exactly.  We all remember the story of Jesus saving the woman who was being stoned, forgiving her, then shooting her twice in the back of the head.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forgiveness does not mean that the person does not meet justice.

Exactly.  We all remember the story of Jesus saving the woman who was being stoned, forgiving her, then shooting her twice in the back of the head.  

I also remember the stories of Jesus beating the hell out of the moneychangers in the Temple, not just once but twice.  I guess He forgave them after He put them out of business.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

Right?

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets:  I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I also remember the stories of Jesus beating the hell out of the moneychangers in the Temple, not just once but twice.  I guess He forgave them after He put them out of business.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forgiveness does not mean that the person does not meet justice.

Forgiveness doesn't mean condoning

ETA or reconciling

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lawls. the Pastor drives a Lincoln Navigator.  I didn't know you made money as a Pastor.

http://kulturekritic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/18/jesse_jackson.jpg

What the fuck is wrong with his cheek bones?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#27]
The lord works in mysterious ways.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Praise God and pass the ammunition.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he asks for it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If he asks for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he asks for it.

Not really. Forgiveness if oftentimes more for the person who has been wronged rather than the person perpetrating the wrongdoing.  We confront situations all the time in which we can forgive people who don't ask for it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't think I would, and I'm an atheist. I can only imagine being Christian would make me even more forgivy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and ignorant about what is, and what is not.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#32]
, I do not understand how he could do this. I know that as a inner-city pastor, I might have to take a life. But I only will do that to protect another human life. I have had opportunities to where I could have (with-in the law) shot or killed young men but I know that as soon as I pull the trigger (even in protecting innocent human life) that my ministry (more than likely) is finished.

This pastor has just ruined his ministry and all the good (if he was doing good) that the Lord has done through him. He killed a man over a bunch of metal! Who in their right mind wants a pastor that killed a man a few dollars worth of copper! I would not!

I am not familiar with New Orleans, is this considered an  inner-city area?

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Local Pastor Creflo Dollar has a huge mansion worth over a million dollars and always has 2 -3 Rolls or Bentleys parked out front. He a couple of years ago started a drive to raise funds for a new $80 million jet. seems as he could not do missionary work in a smaller jet .
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
, I do not understand how he could do this. I know that as a inner-city pastor, I might have to take a life. But I only will do that to protect another human life.

View Quote

From what I read, they drove AT him in their vehicle.

If someone were trying to run you over AFTER stealing your property, would you let them?

Now I have two questions.

How do they know if the shots that hit came before or after the truck passed him?

If after, how far after, 5 ft, 10 ft, 100 ft?

If after, how can anyone be assured they would not come back and try to run him over again, IF that was what they tried to do in the first place?

Lots of folks ignoring the "tried to run over him" bit, and jumping all over the "guy shot them over copper" fail train.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I am between said thief and the direction they are "fleeing to", and they are in a vehicle......

Well, yeah.

Thieves trying to run me down while fleeing...........kinda changes the narrative a bit, if that's what happened.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
If someone were trying to run you over AFTER stealing your property, would you let them?
How do they know if the shots that hit came before or after the truck passed him?
If after, how can anyone be assured they would not come back and try to run him over again, IF that was what they tried to do in the first place?
Lots of folks ignoring the "tried to run over him" bit, and jumping all over the "guy shot them over copper" fail train.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

, I do not understand how he could do this. I know that as a inner-city pastor, I might have to take a life. But I only will do that to protect another human life.

But he kept shooting after the truck passed, the warrant says, which is the basis for a charge of aggravated battery.---- I have a huge problem with this part. I can not ask that he have the same mind-set that I have but he is 100% in the wrong here. IMHO, it does not matter whether the shots that killed were before or after the truck passed.

As to them stealing my property, it is not my property! It belongs to the Lord!
I learned years ago that as a pastor (the Lord's representative)  I had to ask the Lord for a different mind-set. When I am out  ministering by myself, my life is in the Lord's hands. My wife knows that I will NOT pull the trigger if my life is the only one in jeopardy.  I will not kill to protect my life. Over the last 15 years, I have had numerous opportunities to do so. If something bad happens, I know where I am going and know what my calling is! The Lord has delivered me from more than one dangerous situation.

With all that being said, this pastor would have to be a Baptist. Why do we Baptist have to be so militant!

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the link:

At first, the truck carrying two men drove toward the Rev. W.L.T. Littleton, so Littleton opened fire, the warrant says. But he kept shooting after the truck passed, the warrant says, which is the basis for a charge of aggravated battery.

If they were driving at him, I'd argue that he had a legitimate fear of death or serious bodily harm because he believed they could have turned around and tried again. They also could have stopped, got out, and shot at him.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Cu later asshole.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  Read Massad Ayoob.  Nothing is cut and dried until the judge or jury says so.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
But he kept shooting after the truck passed, the warrant says, which is the basis for a charge of aggravated battery.---- I have a huge problem with this part. I can not ask that he have the same mind-set that I have but he is 100% in the wrong here. IMHO, it does not matter whether the shots that killed were before or after the truck passed.

I learned years ago that as a pastor, I had to ask the lord for a different mind-set. When I am out  ministering by myself, my life is in the Lords hands. My wife knows that I will NOT pull the trigger if my life is the only one in jeopardy.  I will not kill to protect my life. Over the last 15 years, I have had numerous opportunities to do so. If something bad happens, I know where I am going and know what my calling is!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned years ago that as a pastor, I had to ask the lord for a different mind-set. When I am out  ministering by myself, my life is in the Lords hands. My wife knows that I will NOT pull the trigger if my life is the only one in jeopardy.  I will not kill to protect my life. Over the last 15 years, I have had numerous opportunities to do so. If something bad happens, I know where I am going and know what my calling is!

I commend you on your mindset, although it may be considered by some to be selfish, as it doesn't take into account the effect your passing may have on loved ones and the community.
That is your prerogative.
You correctly state that you cannot expect the same of others, and I have yet to see a passage in the Bible require one to lay down their life with no attempt at self defense.
As I asked before, regarding the part in red, and the "legality".
"Kept shooting after the truck passed" is rather vague, and yes, it does matter just "how far past him" he kept shooting.
20 ft, 5 ft, just as the truck drove by?
We don't have that info.
Nor do we know if the shots that struck came before, or after the vehicle passed him.
I would not fault him for firing within a second or two after almost being run over, however easy it is to arm chair QB the situation from the keyboard.
Perhaps his relationship with the Lord is why he chose to turn himself in after being released?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I commend you on your mindset, although it may be considered by some to be selfish, as it doesn't take into account the effect your passing may have on loved ones and the community.

That is your prerogative.

You correctly state that you cannot expect the same of others, and I have yet to see a passage in the Bible require one to lay down their life with no attempt at self defense.

As I asked before, regarding the part in red, and the "legality".

"Kept shooting after the truck passed" is rather vague, and yes, it does matter just "how far past him" he kept shooting.

20 ft, 5 ft, just as the truck drove by?

We don't have that info.

Nor do we know if the shots that struck came before, or after the vehicle passed him.

I would not fault him for firing within a second or two after almost being run over, however easy it is to arm chair QB the situation from the keyboard.

Perhaps his relationship with the Lord is why he chose to turn himself in after being released?
View Quote
IMHO, the two shots to the back of the head and all the negative publicity will do great harm to the cause of Christ! As a pastor (God's representative) I must be ever conscious of how my actions may harm the work of God.
In reality, it is not my mindset. It is a mindset lived by the Lord and the disciples in the early church. The book of Acts covers many things far worse that copper thieves trying to run over the preacher..
As far as the comment that some could consider this mindset selfish, I would say that most sinners (saved and unsaved) would see it as being much more selfish to kill someone in protecting my life. As a Christian I believe that it is not my life to protect, that it has been bought and paid for.
So I trust One that is greater than I.  There are may examples of how Christians laid down their life and how God used it to change many lives. I do not want to limit the Lord, He can use anything

but it is much harder for the Lord to use a situation like this for His glory.  

With that said, I do not want it to look like I am harshly judging my fellow Baptist pastor. My heart does go out to this pastor and most of all to his family.  If they are anything like my family, they have sacrificed a lot for the ministry. And if this church is an inner city ministry, I understand the pastors frustration of having things stolen. I am shocked at what people will still from the Lord's house.

Just my .02,

Amos1909

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What happened to Hands up Don't shoot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What happened to Hands up Don't shoot?

Sounds like he's going for the version I like better, which naturally is Pants Up, Don't Loot.

Quoted:
Who in their right mind wants a pastor that killed a man a few dollars worth of copper! I would not!

I am not familiar with New Orleans, is this considered an  inner-city area?

I'm not sure I have much use for anyone who gets too worked up about shooting burglars, though, either.    Shootings at night, particularly in stuff like this, can be very confusing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By boltcatch
I'm not sure I have much use for anyone who gets too worked up about shooting burglars, though, either.    Shootings at night, particularly in stuff like this, can be very confusing.

View Quote

That is your prerogative but a pastor shooting someone over the Lord's possessions is not a normal pastor mindset. I hope that it can be proved that the pastor was in danger and truly feared for his life. Even if the shooting is ruled justified, I guarantee that this shooting will do great harm to this man's ministry.
I do wonder if the police training kicked in and pushed aside the pastor's heart (most truly called pastors have big one). He could have just been reacting in the way that he was trained to do. I hope that this is the case.

I did have a reason in asking if it would be considered inner-city. Inner-city pastoring is a very hard calling and I do wonder if he is facing other problems/threats. Nearly every inner-city ministry that I know of has struggled with violence towards the pastor's family in the last 2-3 years..

Well, I got to go to bed.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#44]
For those saying it was just a few dollars worth of copper, a new line set and install will run a few hundred up to a few thousand for a new system if they damaged/took the coil.  The repairs would be paid for by donations from the congregation instead of their money feeding the hungry, etc.

Why does anyone care what the man drives?  Do any of you know this man well enough to say that he doesn't serve The Lord?  For the high and mighty among us, sell your vehicle, home and earthly possessions and give the money to someone in need.

Thief is dead.  I pray for his soul, but his actions brought about his demise.  We are called to forgive, not to be victims of evil men.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
What you mean the one where half the men were probably sleeping with the whore they wished to stone?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus sentenced the woman to death, but the first one to cast a stone must have been without sin.  It was a "non-answer answer" to a bullshit question designed to get him in trouble even if he let her go or had her executed.  With that in mind, it's likely that the woman wasn't even involved in any sexual immorality and was completely innocent.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
"thief shot twice" is all I need to know
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

For those saying it was just a few dollars worth of copper, a new line set and install will run a few hundred up to a few thousand for a new system if they damaged/took the coil.  The repairs would be paid for by donations from the congregation instead of their money feeding the hungry, etc.
Why does anyone care what the man drives?  Do any of you know this man well enough to say that he doesn't serve The Lord?  For the high and mighty among us, sell your vehicle, home and earthly possessions and give the money to someone in need.
View Quote
I am tired, so I am not certain if the remark was aimed at me. But I will share just a few of the things that have happened to the ministry that I have the privilege of ministering in!
I have actually had thieves cut the lines to steal the whole cooling unit, they moved it about 30 feet and then gave up. Did about $800 worth of damage. I have had them break into the church and steal the wire out of the walls of the auditorium. They have stolen the sound system twice. We have had thieves break down the front door to steal the Sunday meal that we had prepare (We feed our congregation and all that are hungry every Sunday).
I have had church vans stolen out of the church yard. I have had a couple of 100 gallons of gas stolen out of the church vans (they drilled holes  in the gas tank and cause close to $500 worth of damage (this has happen 5-6 times). I have had a gang tear down our church sign and write graffiti on the church. I have had windows smashed out of the vans.
Don't get me started on what has been done toward my home. As far as selling my possessions, I don't have a lot ( I drive a 2001 LeSabre that the junkyard would not take)  and my monthly salary from the church pays me right at $3 an hour.
Edit: I am tired. I just caught that the earthly possession thing was not directed at me. In reading the other parts of your post I realize that I am a bonehead.

I am going to go to bed before I make a larger bonehead of myself.
FIELD_MP, I am sorry that I went off on you. Please accept my apology, sir!

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:19:09 AM EDT
[#48]
I would not find him guilty. From what I heard the talk is this pastor is a very well respected pastor. People are
getting tired of all the theft. The pastor is human too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Religion is big business, especially in the south.

This is often the case.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:28:50 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Cu later asshole.
View Quote

I C what u did there.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top