BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've heard the pellet wood leaves a weird taste in the meat.

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Traeger

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

I suppose that can happen if low quality non 100% wood pellets are used, or if (God forbid) some idiot uses pellet heater pellets instead of food grade pellets.  Pellet heater pellets are a BIG No-No in a cooking smoker.

Also some pellets are not 100% true hardwood and are flavored with oils.

I use 100% hardwood food grade pellets and I've never noticed any weird flavors.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I suppose that can happen if low quality non 100% wood pellets are used, or if (God forbid) some idiot uses pellet heater pellets instead of food grade pellets.  Pellet heater pellets are a BIG No-No in a cooking smoker.   Also some pellets are not 100% true hardwood and are flavored with oils.
I use 100% hardwood food grade pellets and I've never noticed any weird flavors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Traeger

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

I suppose that can happen if low quality non 100% wood pellets are used, or if (God forbid) some idiot uses pellet heater pellets instead of food grade pellets.  Pellet heater pellets are a BIG No-No in a cooking smoker.   Also some pellets are not 100% true hardwood and are flavored with oils.

Are they made in China now?

How thick is the metal?  

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#3]

It smokes great ribs and butts and briskets, and it will replace your grill, too.

This looks promising, but honestly so do many of the others. This going to be a tough decision.  

Walmart here sells that one too

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How thick is the metal?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Traeger

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

How thick is the metal?  

Some are made in China (mine was), and some are made in the USA - it just depends on which manufacture you're looking at (there are a lot of pellet smoker/grills on the market now).

Metal thickness again varies by the manufacturer and the costs of the quality pellet smokers can get quite pricey....

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some are made in China (mine was), and some are made in the USA - it just depends on which manufacture you're looking at (there are a lot of pellet smoker/grills on the market now).  

Metal thickness again varies by the manufacturer and the costs of the quality pellet smokers can get quite pricey....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Traeger

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

How thick is the metal?  

I meant Traeger specifically.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Traeger

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

Avoid the "pine" flavored pellets....
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#7]
BGE
 It works for 99% of the stuff you want to make...I ended up adding a weber gasser for the quick stuff.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It smokes great ribs and butts and briskets, and it will replace your grill, too.

This looks promising, but honestly so do many of the others. This going to be a tough decision.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

so does Lowes for the same price.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

<snip>

I believe that the Traeger grills used to be made in the USA but are now made in China.

I consider the lower cost Traegers (like the Lil' Tex) kind of an entry level pellet smoker grill.

Not that there is any thing wrong with that, I think they are good grills - I have a friend with a Traeger Lil' Tex and it works great.

Personally I'm using a cheap Brinkman (~$500) that I had to make several modifications to (~$130) in order for it to perform acceptably.

I didn't want to jump into the deep end when I bought mine because I didn't know anything about the pellet grills.

Now that I've used mine for over two years now and I've learned their good and bad points I'll have no problem spending some big cash on my next one when it comes time to replace the cheap one...

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I believe that the Traeger grills used to be made in the USA but are now made in China.
I consider the lower cost Traegers (like the Lil' Tex) kind of an entry level pellet smoker grill.
Not that there is any thing wrong with that, I think they are good grills - I have a friend with a Traeger Lil' Tex and it works great.
Personally I'm using a cheap Brinkman (~$500) that I had to make several modifications to (~$130) in order for it to perform acceptably.
I didn't want to jump into the deep end when I bought mine because I didn't know anything about the pellet grills.
Now that I've used mine for over two years now and I've learned their good and bad points I'll have no problem spending some big cash on my next one when it comes time to replace the cheap one...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Thanks for the info.  It's something to think about.

I don't know if I could get past not doing it the old fashioned way though.

I'll need more time to convince myself.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, I have been through several smokers over the last 4-5 years including several mentioned here.

I have now settled on 2:

A Weber Smokey Mountain and an electric Masterbilt.

I would highly recommend starting with the Weber Smokey Mountain and branch out from there.

Several websites out there devoted to the WSM.

ETA: Here is the arfcom of WSM

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#12]
22.5" WSM

Spare ribs from yesterday:

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a Pellet Pro.  This brisket was on oak for 10 hours Thursday:

Smoked meatloaf last night:

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP, I have been through several smokers over the last 4-5 years including several mentioned here.

I have now settled on 2:

I would highly recommend starting with the Weber Smokey Mountain and branch out from there.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com

View Quote

We need to hook you up with a BGE.  It is like the WSMS but only better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of pellet grill/smokers, I love mine.They are sort of a cross between a grill and a smoker.
They are great can you can fill them with wood pellets, turn it on, set the temp, and walk away until the meat is done.
I also have a vertical smoker but I really hate having to sit around and babysit the thing so I rarely use it anymore.
The only limiting factor is that they need electrical power to run.
Currently I have an inexpensive Brinkman pellet grill but if/when the thing finally fails I'll most likely replace it with a RecTec pellet smoker.  http://www.rectecgrills.com/

http://m6.i.pbase.com/g9/72/325172/2/150672216.pDS1NNXm.jpg

http://m8.i.pbase.com/g9/72/325172/2/153108588.C9tcFTfh.jpg

View Quote

that brinkmann you have is EXACTLY what I'm looking for..
Hows the temp variances from one side to the other?
I have a vertical smoker, but the water pan fills up with fat and is a royal pain in the ass to refill and clean

side fire boxes are normally built pretty cheaply, with horrid temperature variances from the box side to the other end of the smoker and use tons of charcoal, but the big thing with those is you can use those cheap drip trays to catch drippings and toss them out when done.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you have access to firewood suitable for smoking?
Do you enjoy tending a campfire?

If so get a stick burner. Better taste than a pellet burner.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BGE
 It works for 99% of the stuff you want to make...I ended up adding a weber gasser for the quick stuff.
http://i61.tinypic.com/eqnk8y.jpg
View Quote

Very nice enclosure you got for that!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have a vertical smoker, but the water pan fills up with fat and is a royal pain in the ass to refill and clean

side fire boxes are normally built pretty cheaply, with horrid temperature variances from the box side to the other end of the smoker and use tons of charcoal, but the big thing with those is you can use those cheap drip trays to catch drippings and toss them out when done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of pellet grill/smokers, I love mine.They are sort of a cross between a grill and a smoker.
They are great can you can fill them with wood pellets, turn it on, set the temp, and walk away until the meat is done.
I also have a vertical smoker but I really hate having to sit around and babysit the thing so I rarely use it anymore.
Currently I have an inexpensive Brinkman pellet grill but if/when the thing finally fails I'll most likely replace it with a RecTec pellet smoker.  http://www.rectecgrills.com/

line it with foil, never had an issue. The big roll of foil, not the standard supermarket stuff.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have now settled on 2:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com

The BGE is a very nice piece of equipment.

It is also $$$, and heavy.

You aren't loading that thing up to take to the cabin on the weekend or things like that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:06:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Traeger

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

Not much truth to that, but there is a weirder truth.

I cook on a very large Traeger once per year, cooking 100-150 pounds of prime rib and 40 or so chickens, for a club banquet. We rent the Traeger. After using one in this way for 10-ish years, I know I would never buy one.

Why?

IMO, the Traeger is a very compromised tool for such a job, and the compromise is built into the design. Large Traegers have two plug-ins, one per side, but these just run the fans and some small igniters to light the pellets, and the Traeger design burns pellets to create all the heat the grill produces, using one large fan per side to blow more or less air through a burn chamber to raise or lower the heat level. If you set it to "smoke," you will get some smoke on your food. If you set it to a higher setting, the fan will kick up and burn the pellets at such a rate that essentially no smoke is produced.

I hate the fact that I have to choose one of the above: heat OR smoke. As a result, I believe the Trager is a decidedly suboptimal design. The functions of "heat" and "smoke" should be independent, and selectable. Yes, this would require a 220-volt hook-up, but reality is reality. YMMV and all that.

What do I own? A Chargriller Akorn Kamado. And i had spousal clearance to buy anything out there, from an Argentinian parilla to a Big Green Egg. I still believe I made the sanest choice. Every night's grilling reinforces that. Tonight was a spatchcocked chicken, followed by oysters and clams directly off the beach.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:29:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I have one of these. Very well insulated. I do a 12-14 hour cook on 6-8lb of charcoal and a pound of wood.

Pitmaker

I use a BGE for smaller cooks
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:34:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Not really, a UDS is bigger if you are going to be cooking for larger # of people.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Walmart sells the Weber Smokey Mountain now, heck of a good smoker

Any difference in cook quality between a WSM and a UDS?
Not really, a UDS is bigger if you are going to be cooking for larger # of people.  
I have a UDS and it uses a 22" webber grill. There is a 22" WSM isnt there? pretty much same gauge dude.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I have a UDS and it uses a 22" webber grill. There is a 22" WSM isnt there? pretty much same gauge dude.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Walmart sells the Weber Smokey Mountain now, heck of a good smoker

Any difference in cook quality between a WSM and a UDS?

Forgot about the 22 inch WSM

I was talking about the 18.5 WSM

I still say the WSM is a good first smoker for the OP.

Easy to control temps, quality build, won't rust out in a couple years, etc.

Learn the ropes on that and then branch out into a nice offset, or BGE or other smoker.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#25]
I never got into pellet grills because I didn't want to have to buy pellets to cook with.

Kinda silly, but that was my line of thinking.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I never got into pellet grills because I didn't want to have to buy pellets to cook with.

View Quote
I guess...  
You have to buy charcoal for a charcoal grill to cook with...
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I guess...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess...  
Easier to find charcoal at the grocery store on a Sunday night, not sure about pellets.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm kicking around the idea of building a UDS.  I like projects.

I only hesitate because my cheapie barrel-style charcoal grill turns out perfectly fine BBQ with just a little more effort.  It's gonna give up the ghost in a couple years, though, so I may have a bit more incentive to get cracking on the UDS.  I'll likely pair it with a Weber kettle for grilling duty.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I think the WSM would be a cheap in to start with

I like my traditional offset smoker. maybe I am just weird
but I like feeding and fiddling with it to keep it running at temp

dont get me wrong, starting briskets in the middle of the night sometimes makes me want something more automated like a pellet smoker
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stick burners are harder to control and can have excessive creosote buildup on the meat for those who are sensitive to it. Mesquite in an offset smoker caused me and many others severe heartburn.  

Taste is arbitrary, however as another post stated, some competitions ban pellet grills because taste and quality are much easier to achieve than many stick smokers.

Pellet Pro sells pellet conversions for the WSM and others.  If you have gone down that path and want to switch to pellets, this is an easy conversion.  Go over to the Smoke Daddy website and check it out. You can also buy the basic parts and convert almost any container into a smoker.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

line it with foil, never had an issue. The big roll of foil, not the standard supermarket stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are speaking of the Brinkman pellet grill, the side box on a pellet grill is a pellet hopper.  An auger feeds from this hopper to a central burner and a heat distributing plate.  I have found no temperature variance in my Pellet Pro, and usually use three meat thermometers.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:12:59 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Stick burners are harder to control and can have excessive creosote buildup on the meat for those who are sensitive to it. Mesquite in an offset smoker caused me and many others severe heartburn.  

Taste is arbitrary, however as another post stated, some competitions ban pellet grills because taste and quality are much easier to achieve than many stick smokers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

As an owner (and lover) of a pellet grill for over two years now I can say that it is almost impossible to OVER smoke anything in a pellet smoker.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I have this one:

It is an awesome tool

My brother has two of these:

They are awesome.

Stumps ftw. They are built to go to 220 and hold. If you add the guru, you are guaranteed to maintain +/- 1 degree.

I've done a 100 lb hog in mine. My monster was a beta model that does not have quite the capacity as the current model, but I can still hit a lot of meat. The XL or the stretch are really great smoke boxes.

I use oak briquettes with apple, cherry or peach in the bottom of the burn box.

Stumps don't build no junk.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#35]
We use an electric smoker. ...Smokin Tex modelm1400. It does a fantastic job on everything.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I just bought a Yoder YS640.  Should be here in 3 weeks or so.

American Made, 10ga metal, with a 10 year warranty.

Can't wait!

I've had enough of expensive sheet metal and electric smokers.  Buy once, cry once, right?!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Go BGE and be happy. Go with anything else and you'll spend too much time defending your purchase choice that you'll never smoke anything.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Go BGE and be happy. Go with anything else and you'll spend too much time defending your purchase choice that you'll never smoke anything.
View Quote

No. Much better choices out there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have used a Brinkman electric for YEARS. We have done pheasants,turkeys,hams,chickens and just about anything else you can think of. I have no desire to be a pro. We normally cook just for us. Very easy. Tastes great. Steelhead Salmon is my favorite.
View Quote

Masterbuilt electric here.   Digital temp with other thermometers in the meat and inside to make sure the temp is good.  Cost $200 and I have used it for several years.  Sweet glazed smoked duck is amazing.  Quite large inside.  I will run it again this coming weekend or next and post pics.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Sorry for the attempted highjack, but whats a good smoker for making jerky? Does it matter? Or is a dehydrator better?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Sorry for the attempted highjack, but whats a good smoker for making jerky? Does it matter? Or is a dehydrator better?
View Quote

Any of them if you like smoked jerky as long as you can keep the temperature extremely low and have a lot of airflow.

Dehydrator or an oven works just fine also.

Doesn't matter what you are using - the idea is to remove the moisture without "cooking" the meat.

Hell, Alton Brown does it with a box fan and furnace filters....
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm not for sale.
View Quote

You sure?  He said, "No limit".
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Traeger

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

Not with Traeger pellets it doesn't.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Any of them if you like smoked jerky as long as you can keep the temperature extremely low and have a lot of airflow.
Doesn't matter what you are using - the idea is to remove the moisture without "cooking" the meat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool thank you

Love me some beef jerky but damn its expensive. I'd also like to make some venison jerky after this deer season.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:15:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Traeger

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

And Traeger pellets are artificially flavored.
I use Traeger pellets sometimes because they are cheaper but I usually use Cookin' Pellets, they are a true unflavored 100% hardwood pellet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A smoker is only as good as the Pitmaster.

If you really know what you are doing a master can turn out outstanding BBQ on a $150 Weber kettle grill.

For about $350 the average backyarder can turn out darn good BBQ in a WSMS.

For about $1K for a BGE (or clone) the average guy can turn out darn good BBQ.

Over $1K there are many outstanding but expensive pits out there. Unless you are in competition or a serious Pitmaster you really won't be able to utilize the difference and the BGE will be all that you will need.  You can't beat the BGE for ease of operation.

The pellet smokers are good but have a couple of flaws that are deal breakers for me.  Good quality pellets are expensive and hard to stock and the smoke flavor is just not there.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:08:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
And Traeger pellets are artificially flavored.I use Traeger pellets sometimes because they are cheaper but I usually use Cookin' Pellets, they are a true unflavored 100% hardwood pellet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Traeger

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

And Traeger pellets are artificially flavored.I use Traeger pellets sometimes because they are cheaper but I usually use Cookin' Pellets, they are a true unflavored 100% hardwood pellet.

I try and use the 100% hardwood pellets.  I'll see if I can find the pellets you're using.  I haven't noticed any benefit to Traeger's flavored pellets.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top