Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/31/2014 7:44:59 PM EDT
What smoker should I buy? I have a nice grill, but cooking ribs on a grill is a pain so help me decide.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If money is an issue get a Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker.  You can turn out great BBQ with one.

If you have money get a Big Green Egg or one of the better clones.  Great BBQ with very little tending.

You can get a smoker with an offset firebox but they are hard to do long cooks.  They are more for the experienced pit masters.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a $600 or so stainless propane smoker from Sams Club (not sure they even sell them anymore).  The good news is it will easily do 8 butts at one time for pulled pork.  The bad news is that it's a pain to babysit.  I would go for one of the automatic feed smokers out there.  Set it and forget it is what I would look for.  

I've learned a lot about running a smoker in the last year or so.  I was ready to ditch my smoker until I learned a few tips.  You say you want to do ribs, my focus has mostly been large quantities of pulled pork.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Weber Smoky Mountain
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Weber smokey mountain
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Traeger
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Walmart sells the Weber Smokey Mountain now, heck of a good smoker
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
How much are you willing to spend ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Roll your own...

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

No limit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Go for an X Large Big Green Egg
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No limit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No limit.

Turning out good BBQ is more an art than a science.  If you have never done it before you will need to go through a learning curve of sorts.

The barrel type smokers do a great job like the WSMS and for more money the BGE.  They are easy to learn on and require minimum tending.  They are easy to keep clean and you can keep them going at a steady temp for as long as 20 hours or more.  

The pellet smokers are even easier as long as you have the pellets on hand.

The smokers with the offset firebox turn out the best product but are the hardest to use.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#13]
How much room ya got. Mines for sale in SF I'm going bigger

" />
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Traeger
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Or make a UDS like posted above. Make some great q on the cheap.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Dt...
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any difference in cook quality between a WSM and a UDS?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Similar cooking same principle.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#19]
What's the largest number of ribs you'll ever need to smoke at one time?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Couple of slabs. We tend to entertain smaller groups. When we do occasionally do large groups we have it catered.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No limit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No limit.

Gatorpit
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Traeger
View Quote
Yup. Got a meat loaf working as we speak.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Couple of slabs. We tend to entertain smaller groups. When we do occasionally do large groups we have it catered.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either 26.75" Weber kettle with PartyQ temperature control or Weber 18.5" smokey mountain with PartyQ/DigiQ controller is what I'm gonna go with.

They both should be available around 400 and capable of making fantastic quality ribs.   You could do 2 racks on a 22" weber kettle but it's a snug fit.

If you don't care about money and want to buy something that will be plug and play, get a Yoder YS480 pellet smoker.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:34:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, a UDS is bigger if you are going to be cooking for larger # of people.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#26]
A buddy does my powder coating for my steel targets.

There is a guy who brings him those steel drums and the Weber dome shaped lids.  My buddy sandblasts them and powder coats them in whatever college or NFL team colors the customer wants.  He adds like a plate to the front that stands out about an inch or two and then puts the team's sticker or logo on that.

So it is a better looking Ugly Drum Smoker.

My buddy uses a special high temperature powder coat.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#27]
22.5" wsm
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Traeger
View Quote

Another vote for Traeger. Makes it easy to produce an amazing product.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Check out Yoder, they make offsets and really good pellet smokers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:55:13 AM EDT
[#30]
So are propane smokers out of the question?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
22.5" wsm
View Quote

+1, I have the 18.5" and wish I would've bought the larger one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#32]
sell your grill, get a kamodo style to do everything

"one grill to rule them all"

this weekend, did brisket, lamb, burgers, tonight steak.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#33]
For 2-6 slab rib smoking, I'd get an XL Big Green Egg.

But I'm biased.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#34]
http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_4/Fast-Eddys-by-Cookshack-PG500-Pellet-Grill

My neighbor has one of these and it is so easy to cook on.

You said no limit on price.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that is the case then get a Large Big Green Egg.  You can get them at an end of the summer sale for a good price.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#36]
I found a Brinkmann copy of an Oklahoma Joe's smoker on craigslist and it's been awesome. 1/4" steel, all welded seams between firebox and grill, really does great to hold a constant temperature. That said, I wish I had just bought an electric smoker.

Also, ribs a pain on the grill? Hogwash! Ribs are the easiest thing to cook on a smoker, IMO.  Simply employ the 3-2-1 method and anyone can make a quality rack of ribs. Just start by applying your spice rub, then get your smoker fired up to the 230-240deg range. Put the ribs on the grill for 3 hours (spray with apple juice every 45min or so), then wrap them loosely in foil (a foil tent is what you want, this creates an oven within an oven, basically) and put back on grill for 2 hours, then unwrap ribs and put back on grill for 1 hour. That is the 3-2-1 method for smoking ribs. When they are done, wrap them in foil again and let them sit on the counter for 30-45min to "rest" before eating.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I have used a Brinkman electric for YEARS. We have done pheasants,turkeys,hams,chickens and just about anything else you can think of. I have no desire to be a pro. We normally cook just for us. Very easy. Tastes great. Steelhead Salmon is my favorite.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Traeger, Yoder, Rec-Tec, Green Mountain (what I have.) The consistency of pellet grills is so superb they are banned from many competitions. I just bought 2,000 pounds of pellets and split them with coworkers and customers. My step dad bought a BGE-xl and then a Traeger.  Sold his BGE 3 months later.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm not for sale.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker.  This is the first gas smoker I've ever used.  It seems to do pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No limit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No limit.

BGE
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm not for sale.
View Quote

EVERYONE has a price!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No limit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No limit.

If it's no limit, then all you have to decide is how big you need it to be, and your fuel source.  For the best flavor, you DO NOT want to go electric or gas.  Charcoal, stick, or pellet burners are the way to go.  

I know i'm going to miss a few favorites here, but here's a few good ones:
Yoder: Pellet or offset stick burners.  Well built and will last.  
Backwoods: The standard for vertical cabinet cookers.  They start at ~1K for the chubby and go up in price with capacity.
Stumps - similar shape to the BW, but these are gravity fed
Humphrey's: This is a better built backwoods.  We cook with both on my team.    
BGE - lots of folks like these, but i'd go with any of the above over an egg.  

For ease of use, get a cyberq wifi or digi q to run the coal or stick models.  Pellet cookers will have a built in Thermo.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humphrey's battle box.  Thank me later.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So are propane smokers out of the question?
View Quote

Yep, if you have no budget there's no reason to go with a propane cooker, cleanliness aside.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Get this:

It smokes great ribs and butts and briskets, and it will replace your grill, too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Get this:

View Quote

It smokes great ribs and butts and briskets, and it will replace your grill, too.

This looks promising, but honestly so do many of the others. This going to be a tough decision.  

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm a big fan of pellet grill/smokers, I love mine.

They are sort of a cross between a grill and a smoker.

They are great can you can fill them with wood pellets, turn it on, set the temp, and walk away until the meat is done.

I also have a vertical smoker but I really hate having to sit around and babysit the thing so I rarely use it anymore.

The only limiting factor is that they need electrical power to run.

Currently I have an inexpensive Brinkman pellet grill but if/when the thing finally fails I'll most likely replace it with a RecTec pellet smoker.  http://www.rectecgrills.com/

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#49]
The Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) is a fantastic smoker for smaller quantities. I've had mine for 6 years and can bang out ribs, pork butts, chickens etc with great results. There's a learning curve in terms of temperature management and cook times, but the same applies to any smoker except for those with digital set-and-forget capability. With a couple of wire rib racks, the 18.5" WSM can manage 6-8 racks of spare ribs. Depending on the size of the cuts, you can do 4 pork butts.

I'm hankering after one of the Amish-built smokers sold under the Meadow Creek name. Built like a tank, and they have a very good reputation for customer service. Nothing wrong with the WSM, but as my technique has improved there are more requests for ever increasing quantities of smoked goodness at family cookouts

Whatever you get, don't rely on the bi-metal thermometer that comes with it. With very few exceptions they're cheap Chinese junk that won't give you a true reading. I spent the money for a Maverick ET-733 and, apart from experience, it made the single biggest improvement to my end product. Turns out the bi-metal dome lid thermometer on my WSM reads about 55-60 degrees low, so when I thought I was smoking food at 225-250 it was actually 275-300 at the grate.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Traeger
View Quote

I've heard the pellet wood leaves a weird taste in the meat.

Any truth to that?

Or is it certain brands?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top