User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can see what looks like beryllium copper grease, so that tells me it's pretty new. IMHO Glocks are best with Glock parts. If you have the stock parts, put them back in.
View Quote

This.  Stick with OEM springs except perhaps in the mags, where Wolff +10% are nice.

Your springs may all be good, but you can swap them all fairly easily and inexpensively just to be sure.  I just rebuilt an old G27 for about $30.  That was for a new OEM recoil tube assembly and a set of OEM springs, including striker spring, trigger spring, extractor plunger spring and firing pin block spring.  I also swapped out the mag springs, detail stripped/cleaned, and polished the feed ramp.

Prior to this, it was failing to feed a round every other mag and giving me a light primer strike every now and again.  Now it fires whatever I put through it without issue.  

Cleaning it helps a lot - especially the firing pin channel if you are having light primer strikes.  People tend to over lube Glocks.  Swapping the recoil spring then seems like what everyone does next, but don't discount the importance of the other springs, including mag springs.  And don't be intimidated - detail stripping a Glock and swapping the other springs is very straightforward:

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#2]
The only things internally I would do to a carry Glock are:

1.) Flitz/"2-cent trigger job" (This gives you the feel of a well-worn trigger right off the bat. It won't feel like a match single stage, but it'll be a fine trigger).
2.) Replace connector with Glock OEM dot/ATF/5 lb connector (just my preference, but stick to OEM).
3.) APEX extractor if you are having brass-in-face issues.

Sights/grips/controls are up to you, but in general there's not much that needs to be improved on the inside.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the reason why I  will never buy  Gen 4 again. Once bitten, twice shy.
This was with a Glock 19 to add to it.
6 Gen 3s and not a single issue with any of them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have both and no issues.

What is the reason you are talking about?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Guessing this is the guy I want to buy and replace the current one with?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#7]
That is the striker spring.

What I would do if I were you is detail strip and determine exactly which parts aren't OEM, and purchase all of those OEM parts back. The detail strip is very easy to do.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:20:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can see what looks like beryllium copper grease, so that tells me it's pretty new. IMHO Glocks are best with Glock parts. If you have the stock parts, put them back in.
View Quote

Exactly.

I have a Gen4 19 with somewhere between 10 and 15k on it.

Unfucked with.  Never had a problem.  Cleaned maybe 2 times too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I will try another mag tomorrow and do a detail strip as well thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Unless you've tried it with another magazine I would wait until you have another.   If you're stuck only using a single preban (ie 20 year old) magazine I'd at least try it with a new magazine spring before messing with the gun.
View Quote

I think this is the best advice.  

A good cleaning (detail strip to ensure the firing pin channel is clean and dry), a little light lube on the slide rails, and either a new mag or a mag with a new spring would be where I would start.  While I normally swear by OEM springs in a Glock, I have had good luck with Wolff springs in the mags:

G19 High Cap Mag Spring

G19 10 Round Mag Spring
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Had one failure to feed in my 3rd gen 19, it went almost into battery but not quite.  Spent an hour or so looking for causes online, found that some people were having issues with the extractor causing brass to face and possibly feeding problems.  The extractor has to pivot a small amount when feeding to allow the case head to get under it.  When I tried pushing my extractor with a pin it was very gritty, didn't want to move.  I stripped the slide and cleaned up the top and bottom surfaces of the extractor and inside the slide where the extractor rides with 600 grit sandpaper.  Took about 10 minutes total including taking it apart and putting it back together and the difference was very noticeable, the extractor still takes some effort to move but it is smooth and doesn't feel like it wants to bind.  May not be your problem, but it's pretty simple to do and it seems to be an issue with later 3rd and early 4th gen guns.  Not sure how familiar you are with glocks, but they are very simple to strip, plenty of youtube videos.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7dxRl52EvU
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:39:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess I should of mentioned when I get a bad round fail to feed, I drop mag, rack slide back and it pops up. I put the round back in the magazine, insert magazine in, and try to chamber it and it fails to feed again. Some of them chambered just fine afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I think it has to be the extractor, recoil spring or magazine issue.  I would take the slide off and check to see if the extractor feels gritty, it was pretty obvious on mine.  Someone else already posted info about the rsa.  If you have a range with rentals nearby you could try using a rentals magazine if you can't get spare mags easily.  If you have the stock rsa you should check if glock issued a replacement rsa and if so ask them to send you the latest.  If your aftermarket parts are all fire control I don't see how any of them could cause feeding problems.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:46:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I do stock springs; Zev 4 connector.  Perfect in 5 Gen 4's.  Great trigger.

I don't see any reason to mess with the stock springs.  The good thing is you can probably get back to all stock springs for less than one dollar US.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:55:14 AM EDT
[#15]
How old is the magazine/magazine spring? If it's original/old, replace that. It may simply be a case of the mag spring not being able to keep up with the Gen 4's recoil spring.

Does it happen with 10 round mags, or other mags?

The recoil spring assembly (RSA) looks ok...

Did the seller give you the original parts with the gun? If so, swap them all back in. The reduced power firing pin spring and trigger springs wouldn't cause this, but may cause other reliability issues (especially the firing pin spring)...

If the mag spring is brand new and it happens with other mags, I'd definitely start by removing all the "new" parts and replacing them with Glock factory parts and work from there. Are you sure whomever did the work re-assembled it correctly; i.e. didn't put the spring leg of the slide stop in the wrong place, or other things?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah it could be the extractor as well. The good part is that Glock will fix it. The bad part is that because someone else fucked with it and replaced innards and then sold you a bill of goods...they may not touch it.

At least Glocks are easy to work on. You can buy a new extractor, spring, insert, etc from anywhere and try swapping it out. First thing though - have you detail-cleaned the slide, including stripping out the extractor and checking the channel for grit and etc? That might solve your problem too, in case someone packed it full of dirt or something...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:39:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Get a cheap 10-round mag to test the feeding and just to shoot at the range with.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Had one failure to feed in my 3rd gen 19, it went almost into battery but not quite.  Spent an hour or so looking for causes online, found that some people were having issues with the extractor causing brass to face and possibly feeding problems.  The extractor has to pivot a small amount when feeding to allow the case head to get under it.  When I tried pushing my extractor with a pin it was very gritty, didn't want to move.  I stripped the slide and cleaned up the top and bottom surfaces of the extractor and inside the slide where the extractor rides with 600 grit sandpaper.  Took about 10 minutes total including taking it apart and putting it back together and the difference was very noticeable, the extractor still takes some effort to move but it is smooth and doesn't feel like it wants to bind.  May not be your problem, but it's pretty simple to do and it seems to be an issue with later 3rd and early 4th gen guns.  Not sure how familiar you are with glocks, but they are very simple to strip, plenty of youtube videos.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7dxRl52EvU
View Quote

OP, I bought a Glock 19 3rd Gen from a buddy. When he sold it to me he told me that it would sometimes fail to feed a round. I disassembled the slide, and the extractor depressor plunger channel had some brown goop in it that would restrict extractor movement. I cleaned out all the brown nasty goop and it fixed the failure to feed issue.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get a cheap 10-round mag to test the feeding and just to shoot at the range with.  
View Quote

This. If you don't eliminate the mag as the problem you will never pin this down.

Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the previous owner monkeyed with springs "upgrading it" that's not exactly an indictment on the Gen4s.

And if you are looking for additional antidotical evidence, I have two Gen4 G19s that have had narry an issue. One of them went through about 1800rounds in a weekend and made hits on a steel torso at 115 yards, at night.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This. If you don't eliminate the mag as the problem you will never pin this down.

Good luck OP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck OP.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#22]
While I agree that stock is best, I'm still not convinced that you have a recoil spring problem.

You REALLY need a second mag to test with...not a u-notch, but something new., even if you have to test with a 10 rounder.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Chamber a round, drop mag and pull back slide briskly. Round should eject normally. If round falls down the magwell you have extractor issues.

My G19 extracts normally with this test every single time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Before you change anything I would shoot it again and make sure you aren't limp wristing. 19's in my experience love to do exactly what yours is doing if not held tight enough. Also, WWB tends to be under powered so try different ammo.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Cleaned the gun thoroughly and lubed properly
Grabbed a 10 round magazine and headed to the range. 0 malfunctions with the 10 round magazine and 2 with the 15 round magazine. I think its a mag issue with that preban.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think all the original parts are included with the aftermarket packages. So I will try and get part numbers when I am back home tonight.
View Quote

Put them back in the gun and throw the aftermarket stuff in the trash.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think all the original parts are included with the aftermarket packages. So I will try and get part numbers when I am back home tonight.

I think its the preban magazine. Looks like Ill have to order a rebuild kit.

In other news, shooting low left at 7 yards. And the guy put the front site on crooked

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Grabbed a 10 round magazine and headed to the range. 0 malfunctions with the 10 round magazine and 2 with the 15 round magazine. I think its a mag issue with that preban.
View Quote

Excellent.  Then I might just leave the pistol springs alone at this point...and try replacing the mag spring (and perhaps the follower) in that preban.  It's probably worth trying given that you are in MA.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

In other news, shooting low left at 7 yards. And the guy put the front site on crooked

http://s14.postimg.org/fy9djl41t/20140901_162907.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://s14.postimg.org/fy9djl41t/20140901_162907.jpg
Low/left is typical of people learning to shoot a glock trigger.  I put more trigger finger on it, kinda like most people shoot a DA revolver trigger.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Excellent.  Then I might just leave the pistol springs alone at this point...and try replacing the mag spring (and perhaps the follower) in that preban.  It's probably worth trying given that you are in MA.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked on glockparts looks like there is a few different rebuild kits. What would be the correct one for a u notch preban 15 rnd?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Glad to hear you got it figured out OP.

Edit, check out this thread, I think the info you are looking for is in there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#32]
IMHO, always start out trying to solve the problem with another magazine, even if it means just borrowing someones to rule it out as the issue. With all the Glocks I've owned, the few issues I've had have been aftermarket mags (not that there aren't great ones too.) With as reliable as Glocks are, especially in stock form, I have no problem tossing a mag to maintain that level of dependability.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Yea the spring in this mag is all nasty and rusty. The follower is pretty fubarbed as well.

Looking like I need this and this?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

:-)
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I think you need this and this
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:16:04 PM EDT
[#36]
can you post pics of the front rails on the frame?  I see what looks like wear through the nickel coating to the copper underneath and that would indicate that the gun has been fired a bit.  It would be hard to say how much as I have seen guns with thousands of rounds without that wear and guns with a 100 or so with that wear.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks like that coil has 10 coils, the one in the magazine has only 9 though?

Quoted:
can you post pics of the front rails on the frame?  I see what looks like wear through the nickel coating to the copper underneath and that would indicate that the gun has been fired a bit.  It would be hard to say how much as I have seen guns with thousands of rounds without that wear and guns with a 100 or so with that wear.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Now that he has defined what he meant by FTF, I agree. But I'd still replace the striker spring if the gun is gonna be used for SD.

I would now suspect limpwristing to be the root cause of his feeding problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Then it's got nothing to do with striker springs.

Now that he has defined what he meant by FTF, I agree. But I'd still replace the striker spring if the gun is gonna be used for SD.

I would now suspect limpwristing to be the root cause of his feeding problems.

This^

but I wouldn't replace the springs right away.

Shoot it some first.

ETA:Late to the game I see, carry on!

My Gen 3  22 has been 100% with factory ammo for years and thousands of rounds with a 3.5 trigger and springs.

It is my daily carry, and I trust it completely.

I suspect the combination of a tight new gun, slightly heavier lube with the factory grease, and the stiff new springs , combined with a shooter new to the gun.

Focus on making your grip rock solid and report back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#39]

I'd say the spring was the issue..
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
http://s13.postimg.org/bikxr1l9z/20140904_132900.jpg

I'd say the spring was the issue..
View Quote

Er, yah.

Glad you found the problem, and that it was an inexpensive remedy.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top