Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/30/2014 8:19:27 PM EDT
Recently purchased a Glock 19 gen 4. Told it was basically brand new. Has Tru glo sights, trigger job which includes after market connector 3.5lb and upgraded spring kit from zev tech. Can anyone confirm this based on these pics? Or do I need to truly dissemble it? I had a few FTF with WWB 9mm, and a u notch preban 15 rnd. Have NOT tried any other ammo or mags. Only shot around 85 rounds. Did a lot of research and found this was common in break in, but want to make sure the spring kit isn't causing the FTF. My Sig or HK never had issues with that ammo, or during their break in period.

Other than that I wish I had bought into glock earlier. Feels a bit more comfortable in my hand than other hand guns, and have Talon grips coming in the mail now. About to head out to the garage and dremel the hand guard as well.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I can see what looks like beryllium copper grease, so that tells me it's pretty new. IMHO Glocks are best with Glock parts. If you have the stock parts, put them back in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can see what looks like beryllium grease, so that tells me it's pretty new. IMHO Glocks are best with Glock parts. If you have the stock parts, put them back in.
View Quote

Pretty much this.  stock parts tend to be the most reliable.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]
What they said.  What type of failures are you having?  Weak range ammo and Gen4's don't always get along when the recoil spring is new.  Especially if it's an early Gen4 with the heavier recoil spring assembly Glock replaced with the lighter one.  What numbers are on the recoil spring assembly(RSA)?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can see what looks like beryllium grease, so that tells me it's pretty new. IMHO Glocks are best with Glock parts. If you have the stock parts, put them back in.

3x
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be wary of a "trigger job" done by some nobody. You don't really know for sure what's been done.

I'd be inclined to replace everything with factory parts and not look back.

Is "FTF" supposed to mean "Failure To Feed" or "Failure To Fire"?  

If it's failure to feed, it could be a bad magazine (replace the whole mag) or you may not have the current recoil spring assembly.

If it's failure to fire, the previous owner may have monkeyed with the striker spring.  Replace it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#6]
If that is the factory copper grease stuff, I would thoroughly clean the pistol and reoil it with your preferred lubricant. My experience with Glocks is that this initial step will seemingly make it operate more smoothly.

The trigger job is likely not an issue, but I personally like the stock components - at least we know these are reliable. It is sorta difficult to trust someone else's trigger job.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Here ya go

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I think all the original parts are included with the aftermarket packages. So I will try and get part numbers when I am back home tonight.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Your problem is the spring kit -- never put a reduced-power firing pin (striker) spring in a Glock if you want reliable ignition.

You need to install a factory firing pin spring. It will add about 1/2 pound to the trigger pull weight, but will take you back to the reliability you want/need.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#10]
First change the ammo and mag. If it still does it, put the Glock parts back in. Lube it. Shoot a few hundred rounds to break it in, and see if it clears up.

If you want to mod the gun, add the parts back in one by one and shoot it to see if any one is causing the issues.

I have stock and modified Glocks. All of them run great when lubed. I like Ghost connectors.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot it and it will be apparent if if you got joy rided.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can see what looks like beryllium copper grease, so that tells me it's pretty new. IMHO Glocks are best with Glock parts. If you have the stock parts, put them back in.
View Quote

Yep, take that shit out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 19 and 21SF. Both have ghost connectors and night sights. Both have ran 100% flawless with probably @ 1000 rounds through each one. Both are Gen 3 BTW.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm no expert, but I have never had a FTF in my 19 in over 10k rounds. All kinds of ammo, steel and aluminum as well. Can't tell about the trigger, cause mine is a gen3. Internals look clean though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here ya go
View Quote

Ya this one is 0 3 4
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:05:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Dremel?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks pretty much brand new to me.  I'd take the advice above and go back to factory parts.  Who knows what kind of Bubba trigger job was done.  Use factory mags too.  

I just installed a Bill Springfield trigger on an AR and switched to another AR as my go to HD AR until I can verify the new trigger is reliable.  Just FYI, as I'd want to be sure my gun is reliable before I rely on it.

I'm sure it will be fine, as he does great work, but I want to verify.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dremel?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dremel?

Yes

You have a gen4, what is their to dremmel (short of making the undercut at the triggerguard slightly bigger) ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

3x
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3x

x4

if it's got the gold grease, it's likely hardly fired if at all.  How does the finish look, does it have any evidence of the action being used around the breech/locking lugs?

If it's not a stock Glock part, I'd ditch it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You have a gen4, what is their to dremmel (short of making the undercut at the triggerguard slightly bigger) ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dremel?

Yes

Making the undercut at the triggerguard bigger so my fat middle finger can fit underneath it more comfortable lol.

So what vendors the best for glock parts?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Making the undercut at the triggerguard bigger so my fat middle finger can fit underneath it more comfortable lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dremel?

Yes

Ok...just making sure you weren't fixing to go full retard with the dremmel. I make the undercut slightly bigger also.

The best vendor for Glock parts is Glock. There isn't much need for crazy aftermarket parts IMO. I use the Glock extended slide catch and Trijicon HD night sights. Short of that the Gen4s don't really need any other mods.

Seriously, don't monkey with it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Glocks can run fine with reduced power striker springs. I run 4lb springs in my G17 and have never had a light strike with reloads or factory.

I have run a 2lb striker spring, without the extended striker, in my G35 and have not had a ftf or light strike yet.

These are both competition guns and I would not run those springs for a carry gun, if I could in fact carry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Anybody can put grease on some parts to make it "look new" . And shit...have glocks since 94, the fuck is this bullshit break in period???

Use stock parts only.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#28]
These are all zev parts but Gen3.  Only ammo that I have ever had trouble with is tulammo and that may be two out of every hundred.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the Zev competition kit in my gen 4 23. With the heavier of the two striker springs. It has been perfect through a couple thousand rounds so far. And it's my work/carry gun.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Your problem is the spring kit -- never put a reduced-power firing pin (striker) spring in a Glock if you want reliable ignition.

You need to install a factory firing pin spring. It will add about 1/2 pound to the trigger pull weight, but will take you back to the reliability you want/need.
View Quote

Yup.  I'd try it with factory springs. I'd probably keep the 3.5# connector unless you still have issues.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Please define FTF.  Fail to fire?  Fail to feed?

It sounds like you have the correct recoil spring already.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We can't know unless you define FTF.  Fail to fire?  Fail to feed?

Sorry if I missed you post it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Failure to feed, exactly like this.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://i47.tinypic.com/210ztkx.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

needs more stock recoil spring.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bother replacing the guide rod? Or just recoil spring? Here is what is in there now.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it's got nothing to do with striker springs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd replace the whole guide-rod/recoil spring with the proper thing from your favorite vender.  As I remember, some of the early Gen-4's had some issue with them...IIRC
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Gen4 9mm Glocks have issues with ejection. (This is the same issue that was giving guys the infamous brass to face.)
I'm not sure if Glock has finally admitted to this problem.
I know guys were sending their pistols back to Glock and the issues were never resolved.

Some guys were chasing their tails trying to fix this.
Replacing the ejector with a Gen4 .40 ejector, replacing the extractor, replacing the extractor plunger assembly.
Apex finally came out with their "failure resistant extractor".
I hadn't really read up on how well they work.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Well I am going to try some more ammo and a new mag tomorrow.

Unfortunately I am in MA so I have to buy preban 15 round mags @ 60 a piece.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Night sights are the only upgrade needed for a Glock. Once you start monkeying around with the internals is when the trouble starts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe a dumb question, but any limp-wristing?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Then it's got nothing to do with striker springs.
View Quote

Now that he has defined what he meant by FTF, I agree. But I'd still replace the striker spring if the gun is gonna be used for SD.

I would now suspect limpwristing to be the root cause of his feeding problems.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:58:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Night sights are the only upgrade needed for a Glock. Once you start monkeying around with the internals is when the trouble starts.
View Quote

I have five Glocks right now. None with stock internals. All run perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

3x
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3x

I'm voting for this also
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yet another +1 to this.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd be wary of a "trigger job" done by some nobody. You don't really know for sure what's been done.

If it's failure to feed, it could be a bad magazine (replace the whole mag) or you may not have the current recoil spring assembly.

If it's failure to fire, the previous owner may have monkeyed with the striker spring.  Replace it.
View Quote

I have never seen FTF mean "Fail to Fire" in any context.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had fail to fire from a light striker spring. Went back to stock and it has been flawless.
Lesson learned over the years, you can replace any spring in a Glock you want except the striker spring,
don't mess with that, ever. So far as feeding, use a pissed off death grip, different mag and ammo, and shoot the
heck out of it. Then get back to us.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Went out again today with 3 new types of 9mm brass. I had failures to feed with all of them. I only have one magazine so it could be the magazine. Had a friend shoot as well, he had the failures too. It is not limp wristing. Here are some pics. It was very random. Shot about 100 rounds. I should of brought my other firearms to see if they fed the ammo ok as well.

So what exactly do I need to change out?

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Spring kits lighten the firing pin spring to give better trigger feel. The downside is reduced reliability and FTF problems . It is a common problem . The grease is not a definite that the gun is low mileage . I have a can of the stuff and will sometimes add it to guns I service .
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#49]
This is why I don't buy guns that have been "upgraded"
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Spring kits lighten the firing pin spring to give better trigger feel. The downside is reduced reliability and FTF problems . It is a common problem . The grease is not a definite that the gun is low mileage . I have a can of the stuff and will sometimes add it to guns I service .
View Quote

So just buy a stock spring kit and swap it out?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top