Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Apparently, me and brass are having similar thoughts on this topic.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great. Let's crucify the cops that go out of their way to be awesome.
View Quote

Shit I have seen 5.0 puffin a blunt driving a marked unit  some places
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why did you not know anybody in that square mile after 18 years? Were they not worth it, troublemakers, or abusive toward police?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why did you not know anybody in that square mile after 18 years? Were they not worth it, troublemakers, or abusive toward police?

Not worth it. The only people I knew were our assortment of regular EDPs. We had one crazy white guy who basically lived in the precinct lobby. When I left he was still getting mail there 2 years after he died.

Quoted:
What snaps the disconnect from small town/relaxed policing to Big City Thinking police?

Small town people are worth giving a fuck about. "Ghetto Goblins" as GD calls them, not so much.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If only the cops and community were black, it would have been OK.
View Quote

Flashing gang signs is cool with crips if you are a certain cop in Missouri. Having some beers with middle class, tax paying fans at a football game earns you reprimands and cut pay in Cleveland.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, actually. This was in a Cleveland Municipal parking lot. It's sort of the defacto tailgating spot, at Browns games. Strictly speaking, open containers aren't allowed. Historically (in practice), it's been fine as long as you're not behaving like assholes.

It's always been selectively enforced, and the cops that work the lot on game day have always been super cool. They've always been more about the spirit of the law (and why it was created), rather than being mindless robots about it. In other words, they're not shit heels.

Until now, if their bosses have anything to say about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drinking from a beer bong in the stadium parking lot is legal, right?  I don't see what the big deal is then.  

No, actually. This was in a Cleveland Municipal parking lot. It's sort of the defacto tailgating spot, at Browns games. Strictly speaking, open containers aren't allowed. Historically (in practice), it's been fine as long as you're not behaving like assholes.

It's always been selectively enforced, and the cops that work the lot on game day have always been super cool. They've always been more about the spirit of the law (and why it was created), rather than being mindless robots about it. In other words, they're not shit heels.

Our community has large gathering festivals were they allow open containers for 24hrs. It draws over 10,000 people a day to the square. Hang out in the street and have beer and food. The city can exempt days and NOT make it illegal if they want. It's not even a freaking big deal and I doubt it's curbed drinking by one person. Nice job Cleveland.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The bitch is, that photo is cropped. In the original the officer is holding a soda can.
View Quote

Then they need to post the hell out of the original photo, plaster it all over the department Facebook page, and send it to all of the local media.

The silence would be deafening.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Man not everybody has to be a goddamn mustache.

Why can't people be cool for once?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:08:27 AM EDT
[#10]
The pregame parties in muni lots outside of the Browns stadium are the greatest thing about going to a Browns game. Hopefully this dies down and everything stays as it is. Otherwise, that strip of bars just southwest of the Stadium is going to get a bit busier.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:28:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That certainly seems to be the message these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit, the few times I have gone down and tailgated the cops were pretty cool and would toss a football or a few bags in corn hole.
As long as you weren't acting like a dumbass they would leave you alone.

I wonder what will happen at the next game... 0 tolerance on open container laws?

Yeah, the muni lot is going be fucking awesome this season.

Thanks a lot, assholes. What we really needed was some good old fashioned "Us vs Them". Can't have the police acting all amiable and shit while in uniform. No sir, we want robots.

That certainly seems to be the message these days.

It certainly was at the last department I worked for. May fuck be upon the admin who in my view was primarily responsible at the time; thankfully he was "allowed to retire early" over demanding sexual favors, unfortunately it was after I'd left--and he'd spent a couple years able to start reshaping the Patrol Division in his own ideas.
Fair number of decent, smart guys either got the ax or left for greener pastures while he had basically unilateral control over assignments.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:37:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks to be an older officer, a guy well past that point in his career where he's rushing around trying to toss anyone behind bars who doesn't really have to be locked up
Probably just wants to go along to get along and he isn't "on fire" quite enough for some of his supervisors
Probably the butt of jokes from younger officers wanting to know "when you gonna retire old man"
This is probably the admins way of trying to nudge this guy out to pasture
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:42:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Come to think of it, this is becoming a bit of an epidemic in Cleveland. It was just last winter, that a minority of killjoys went apeshit over some Cleveland PD officers having a friendly snowball fight in the street.

It's like some people WANT the police to behave like anti-social assholes. Do they really want the Cleveland PD to be all business?

Ask somebody who lives in Ferguson how that's working out.

God damnit, I hate people sometimes.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:50:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looks to be an older officer, a guy well past that point in his career where he's rushing around trying to toss anyone behind bars who doesn't really have to be locked up
Probably just wants to go along to get along and he isn't "on fire" quite enough for some of his supervisors
Probably the butt of jokes from younger officers wanting to know "when you gonna retire old man"
This is probably the admins way of trying to nudge this guy out to pasture
View Quote

Sadly, This.  

See....The whole young officers spiel.  Younger officers ain't been born yet man.  I'd sooner ride with a guy that understood the point of "Don't worry about it" vs an 'aggressive' officer who just stirs shit up like it won't come back to them or something.

See...and it's hard to supervise someone older and probably better than you. So yeah.  Plus it's easy to be all stats and numbers from a desk or not taking calls or any other lame reasons.

My take is that at the end of the day...these people will remember you more than you will remember them.  It makes life easier when you're not a total windows up jerk.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:54:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Dooley is an Irish surname. Drinking is a big part of Irish heritage. This is nothing more then a racist attack against his Irish heritage.  Next thing you know they will make him drive the Patty Wagon.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:30:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drinking from a beer bong in the stadium parking lot is legal, right?  I don't see what the big deal is then.  

If the purpose of the cops being there is to "keep the peace" then I have no problem with it either.  In many places it's all about "law enforcement" and creates a hostile environment/relationship from the get go.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:35:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Just more NWO BS. Cleveland is on the rebound, didn't you hear? They just hosted the Flame Games; next is the 2016 Republican National Convention. Make no mistake, the New York bigshots who run this whole thing, as well as their local flunkies, do not want you and your ilk anywhere near downtown. They made going to a Browns game a corporate experience, well out of the reach of the average fan. Now they have the local CFR affiliates beating the drums to ban booze and fire at tailgate parties. They'll let you bring a gas grill, for now, but remember: propane tanks can be used as a vessel for an IED, and football is a national security event. We'll see how long that lasts... It's just a big, hearty FUCK YOU to the fans. Shut up and pay your sin tax, serf.

On the bright side, TRAPWIRE was evidently of no help in finding that kid who left Jacobs Field via the dumpster.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We had a Sgt that would pick up a six pack on the way home from a drive through on occasion... he'd pay for it and have them put it in his trunk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can stop by the store on your way home, in your take home cruiser to pick up some bread and milk and be fine, add a six pack of beer and be fired.

We had a Sgt that would pick up a six pack on the way home from a drive through on occasion... he'd pay for it and have them put it in his trunk.

Probably NOT a good idea.

While most of us probably wouldn't give a damn, there is always someone out there that would accuse the poor bastard of drinking on the job or some other dumb thing just to ba an asshole.

If i were CLEO I would forbid this just because of that. Part of running a PD is public relations.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:53:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:56:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And that's how it ought to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of the BEST policing I ever saw was in Alaskan villages.

They often had a trooper and a VPSO (Village Public Safety Officer). They worked as a team and used gentle persuasion instead of force.

At the Fairweather Day party in Yukatat in ''85 I watched a couple of guys setting off cherry bombs too close to everyone else.

No big thing, no tickets, no confiscation. Just a simple nudge to take the cherry bombs a bit further down the beach where it was safer for everyone else.

ETA a trooper/VPSO team would likely last ten minutes in Cleveland. The police admins would go nuts and can them on the spot.

And that's how it ought to be.

That's the way it is in most places.  Problem is that does t make headlines

T
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:03:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just more NWO BS. Cleveland is on the rebound, didn't you hear? They just hosted the Flame Games; next is the 2016 Republican National Convention. Make no mistake, the New York bigshots who run this whole thing, as well as their local flunkies, do not want you and your ilk anywhere near downtown. They made going to a Browns game a corporate experience, well out of the reach of the average fan. Now they have the local CFR affiliates beating the drums to ban booze and fire at tailgate parties. They'll let you bring a gas grill, for now, but remember: propane tanks can be used as a vessel for an IED, and football is a national security event. We'll see how long that lasts... It's just a big, hearty FUCK YOU to the fans. Shut up and pay your sin tax, serf.

On the bright side, TRAPWIRE was evidently of no help in finding that kid who left Jacobs Field via the dumpster.
View Quote

How do you think I score my awesome seats?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:17:10 AM EDT
[#22]
as long as the cops weren't drinking, who cares.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#23]
At my old agency we had a park across from the P.D. I would go play basketball with the kids when they were over there. A lady actually complained to our Chief and Mayor saying I am being payed to patrol not play basketball. They told her to pound sand.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Come to think of it, this is becoming a bit of an epidemic in Cleveland. It was just last winter, that a minority of killjoys went apeshit over some Cleveland PD officers having a friendly snowball fight in the street.

It's like some people WANT the police to behave like anti-social assholes. Do they really want the Cleveland PD to be all business?

Ask somebody who lives in Ferguson how that's working out.

God damnit, I hate people sometimes.
View Quote

Might be worth a letter/email campaign to the Cleveland PD Chief to thank him for not having asshole officers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:36:05 AM EDT
[#25]
So the city wants more of a pick up that can citizen type police force rather than one that interacts and has fun with the community?  Stupid.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:40:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
as long as the cops weren't drinking, who cares.
View Quote

This.

During the Ocean View St Paddy's Day parade there is gratuitous pre-10AM drinking. The cops may give you the stink eye but as long as you arent being belligerent or near familys they leave you alone. Thats the one day out of the year they cut people slack.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

One guy at a neighboring department took off his gun/belt and police shirt, in take home cruiser, buys a six pack of beer (don't know if he bought other items) someone called the PD on him and he was fired.
View Quote

Gee, hiring and training replacements must be extremely inexpensive and fast. Nice going, Chief.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:45:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Gee, hiring and training replacements must be extremely inexpensive and fast. Nice going, Chief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One guy at a neighboring department took off his gun/belt and police shirt, in take home cruiser, buys a six pack of beer (don't know if he bought other items) someone called the PD on him and he was fired.

It is!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:54:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Hells bells. The people who have a problem with this would probably curl up into the fetal position and have stroke and die if they ever went to Talladega for a race weekend.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In certain northern areas cops can have iirc two beers on their lunch break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can stop by the store on your way home, in your take home cruiser to pick up some bread and milk and be fine, add a six pack of beer and be fired.

Probably NOT a good idea.

While most of us probably wouldn't give a damn, there is always someone out there that would accuse the poor bastard of drinking on the job or some other dumb thing just to ba an asshole.

If i were CLEO I would forbid this just because of that. Part of running a PD is public relations.

In certain northern areas cops can have iirc two beers on their lunch break.

You now have my undivided attention. Please cite agencies and examples of this happening. Because if i did that here, i would be SUPER fired...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a complaint called in at my last department for buying a 12 pack off duty.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'd sooner ride with a guy that understood the point of "Don't worry about it" vs an 'aggressive' officer who just stirs shit up like it won't come back to them or something.
View Quote

I flat out refused to ride with the few new guys we had like that. They usually wised up real quick.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I got a complaint called in at my last department for buying a 12 pack off duty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God damnit, people really do suck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No shit, the few times I have gone down and tailgated the cops were pretty cool and would toss a football or a few bags in corn hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes most are good guy's,.
my wife worked there 32 years. met many at party's ect
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top