Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/30/2014 10:30:16 AM EDT
Over the last two years, the U.S. has had a spike in expatriations. It isn’t exactly Ellis Island in reverse, but it’s more than a dribble. With global tax reporting and FATCA, the list of the individuals who renounced is up. For 2013, there was a 221% increase, with record numbers of Americans renouncing. The Treasury Department is required to publish a quarterly list, but these numbers are under-stated, some say considerably.

link
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Even if I had a place to go I would never renounce, I'm a true believer in the United States and will always be. Through bad times and good we are Americans.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Land of the Free
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#3]
If a person is truly renouncing their citizenship why do they need the government's permission at all.

A simple "goodbye" letter with a postmark from their new home nation should be adequate.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Shouldn't it be free to NOT BE PART OF THE USA???
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If a person is truly renouncing their citizenship why do they need the government's permission at all.

A simple "goodbye" letter with a postmark from their new home nation should be adequate.
View Quote

Same reason it takes more than a 'hello' letter to make you a citizen...
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

We fought a war over it and the answer happens to be 'no'.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Wait, it costs money to not be a US citizen? What? What do they do if you don't pay the fee?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#8]
It was difficult to officially leave the USSR, too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wait, it costs money to not be a US citizen? What? What do they do if you don't pay the fee?
View Quote

Confiscate ur shit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Continue to tax you
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm pissed about things right now but I'm not going anywhere.  Besides that, who the hell would bother paying the fee?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

America is a global taxing authority, no where on the planet can you go to escape taxes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The US and Eritrea are the only countries that tax expats indefinitely.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:49:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Breaking up is cheaper than starting a relationship. You tell em' to fuck off and you leave.

Any money the ex spends to get over it after that is their problem.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Over the last two years, the U.S. has had a spike in expatriations. It isn’t exactly Ellis Island in reverse, but it’s more than a dribble. With global tax reporting and FATCA, the list of the individuals who renounced is up. For 2013, there was a 221% increase, with record numbers of Americans renouncing. The Treasury Department is required to publish a quarterly list, but these numbers are under-stated, some say considerably.

link
View Quote

President: TLDR!  
Next?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's what I cant seem to understand .

If Im ready to renounce and split , you think Im gonna give one more thin dime to this government ?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I have read that quite a few of those expatriating are extremely wealthy. To me expatriating to avoid taxes sounds very unethical and I wonder what the political affiliation of those who have expatriated is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#18]
A fee to renounce citizenship? lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Breaking up is cheaper than starting a relationship. You tell em' to fuck off and you leave.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being a citizen is about the legal and financial, benefits and ramifications which make it more of a marriage than a dating relationship and that is why it takes legal steps to break the relationship.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If Im ready to renounce and split , you think Im gonna give one more thin dime to this government ?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The people renouncing often have more wealth than they can fit in a suitcase and they also want to be able to essentially live in the U.S. while expatriated since they are extremely wealthy and can travel at their whim.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Even if I had a place to go I would never renounce, I'm a true believer in the United States and will always be. Through bad times and good we are Americans.
View Quote

That's really not the point. Some people work abroad and have no plans to return. They tax your earnings overseas, which are already taxed by the government there, but that's not even the true reason people are renouncing. When Americans living abroad file their taxes each year, it's beyond a rectal exam. Some banks won't are cutting off Americans abroad due to the outlandish reporting requirements.

At some point, to some people, they say why keep the citizenship just so they can pay more taxes and receive a 5 fingered rectal exam each year. I absolutely get where those people are coming from.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have read that quite a few of those expatriating are extremely wealthy. To me expatriating to avoid taxes sounds very unethical and I wonder what the political affiliation of those who have expatriated is.
View Quote

Are you kidding? The USA being the only country that taxes citizens working abroad seems extremely unethical to me. The government of the country where the money is earned always taxes it, then they are taxed by the USA too.

The only logic as to why the US government should tax citizens a second time that are already being taxed by the home country where they work, while receiving none of the benefit of US citizenship is fuck you, pay us.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:05:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

link
View Quote

Funny, I don't see any actual figures for the numbers that have left.  221% sounds like a lot, but if it was 0 one year, and 221 the next, I guess you could generate those numbers. Oh look, it's an astonishing......789 people for 2014 Q1 and Q2!  They haven't even broken 1000!

If it were my policy, I would pay people to leave, with the stipulation that you don't even think about coming back.  I would offer differentials for Democrats and welfare leeches, even paying their air fares.

Silly government, give them the rope, don't make it harder for disloyal people who are clueless about the world to renounce US Citizenship, something millions of people around the world would sell their children for.  I have friends on lottery lists in highly developed nations right now who wouldn't think twice about coming here if they could.  Only problem is, their home countries aren't ever going to let them leave since they are hard-working tax mules.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure the US can get their hands on your foreign bank accounts. Big banks are international, if they didn't comply in allowing the US government to raid your account, the US could threaten to not allow them access to deep pocket Americans in the US.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Funny, I don't see any actual figures for the numbers that have left.  221% sounds like a lot, but if it was 0 one year, and 221 the next, I guess you could generate those numbers. Oh look, it's an astonishing......789 people for 2014 Q1 and Q2!  They haven't even broken 1000!

http://taxprof.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c4eab53ef01a511f17c92970c-550wi

If it were my policy, I would pay people to leave, with the stipulation that you don't even think about coming back.  I would offer differentials for Democrats and welfare leeches, even paying their air fares.

Silly government, give them the rope, don't make it harder for disloyal people who are clueless about the world to renounce US Citizenship, something millions of people around the world would sell their children for.  I have friends on lottery lists in highly developed nations right now who wouldn't think twice about coming here if they could.  Only problem is, their home countries aren't ever going to let them leave since they are hard-working tax mules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

link

http://taxprof.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c4eab53ef01a511f17c92970c-550wi

They should release statistics on net worth of those who leave.

I mean if these big shots who hate taxes so much had any balls they would stay a citizen and fight this tax hungry government like we all do. But they don't care about the welfare of the nation, they would rather cut and run and keep letting us little guys fight to maintain the opportunity to make it big and let us keep getting taxed out of our minds. Tax evasion is why wealthy people are liberal. If you can live like a king and not pay the government it is easy to agree with everything the government does to everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#26]
The cost to get my wife's green card was bullshit, so this doesn't surprise me
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Freedom is a state of mind (and an unfettered bank account), not a grid square. If one grid square wants to tax dat ass and another says come invest in our FEZ, it's an easy decision.

An FEZ would blow minds, in America.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I mean if these big shots who hate taxes so much had any balls they would stay a citizen and fight this tax hungry government like we all do. But they don't care about the welfare of the nation, they would rather cut and run and keep letting us little guys fight to maintain the opportunity to make it big and let us keep getting taxed out of our minds. Tax evasion is why wealthy people are liberal. If you can live like a king and not pay the government it is easy to agree with everything the government does to everyone else.
View Quote

Most high wealth individuals do not have the hobby of tilting at windmills.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going the lawful way is costly, timely and makes you a sucker.  Just being a repressed hispanic that doesn't speak English sometimes will get you a better to start to life.  "Citizen"  doesn't mean what you think it does anymore.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I totally agree. One of the hallmarks of a Free society is that people can vote with their feet anytime
without paying any type of fee.

During the 1930's Nazi Germany imposed an Exit Tax on Jews trying to leave.
The US is basically doing the same thing.

The Reich Flight Tax rate was:
January 1934: 20%
August 1934: 65%
October 1936: 81%
June 1938: 90%
September 1939: 96%
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I totally agree. One of the hallmarks of a Free society is that people can vote with their feet anytime

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two years ago renunciations were free.
Then they were $450
Now they are $2,300
A couple more years, who knows? $10,000 - 20,000?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have no problem with people doing what they think is right for themselves and their families.  I don't expect the wold to be full of martyrs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Then they were $450
Now they are $2,300
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then they were $450
Now they are $2,300

Is that for Canada or the US?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Phuc Woody Wilson.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Land of the Free
View Quote

Do you even freedom bro?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#43]
They are the ones who can afford to Go Galt.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

What is unethical is stealing people's shit.

I am all for people saving and preserving what they earn.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A fee to renounce citizenship? lol
View Quote

early termination fee.

you didn't read the fine print?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#46]
So you have to  pay money to no longer be a citizen? Had no idea that was the case.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

link
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
So you have to  pay money to no longer be a citizen? Had no idea that was the case.
View Quote

The civil war proved that entrance into this country is a suicide pact.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Instead of punishing those who want to leave, we ought to find out why someone would want to leave the US and fix that. The majority of them are expatriates who are getting caught up in the insanely intrusive tax laws regarding foreign accounts - and with good reason.
View Quote

Exactly. I don't think everyone screaming "fuck them, I'd never renounce" understand this. They're not even upset with America or being American, they can't take the anal examination anymore. Even if you hardly make money, you still have to pay accountants lot of coin to figure out all your required disclosures.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol. How naive.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top