Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2014 8:31:55 PM EDT
Things that could be universal for many jobs. For example I have recently done a CPR, first aid class. Microsoft excel. Microsoft word. This stuff may or may not help. But at the least it gives me some extra stuff to list to dress up my resume a bit. Got any other ideas? I don't mind spending a few bucks for a course or class if it'll make me more marketable to potential employers. Time however is an issue. I can't go to trade schools or anything like that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't, really.

Excel isn't a skill, nor is Word.

Data Analysis (using Excel) is a skill. Writing RCA papers (using Words) is a skill.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not what you know...It's who you are.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Honorable Discharge from military service.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's not what you know...It's who you are.chronc
View Quote
Chronic masturbation that does not lead to fatigue.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
What have you done lately? That's more important. Buzz words will get you search hits. For a hiring manager, its the worse thing. Its like searching for a word in Google and get a list of informercial sites that dont really have what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You don't, really.

Data Analysis (using Excel) is a skill. Writing RCA papers (using Words) is a skill.
View Quote

I see what your saying. Maybe "skill" isn't the proper word. But having excel could make all the difference to a certain position so it's worth listing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Bow staff skills?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I see what your saying. Maybe "skill" isn't the proper word. But having excel could make all the difference to a certain position so it's worth listing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't, really.

List under Areas of Expertise then....

Software are just tools. You use them to accomplish things. Talk more about the things, less about the tools.

If you're applying for a blue collar job they'll think you're too fancy for the job.

If you're applying for a white collar job they'll wonder why you bothered to list it. It's assumed you know it.

If you're apply for a civil service job, tell them you know how to use a keyboard. Have to start small with those employers.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't, really.

Knowing the difference between "your" and "you're" is helpful too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't, really.

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#11]
OSHA training?  An aquintance of mine did this specifically to pad his resume, which led to a management job. And he's an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]
The most useful things really depend on what type of job you're targeting.  Unfortunately while general knowledge about things like first aid might make you a more useful person, and is certainly worthwhile, it won't usually factor into the hiring process unless that is an aspect of the job you are applying for.

You need to at least try to narrow it down to a general industry or career path first.  Management, skilled trade, technical support / IT, etc...

I usually tell people wanting to learn something to improve their hire-ability to look at the skills requirements for the types of jobs they want that are advertised in their area.  This tells you what people are looking for, and a lot of time having at least a passing knowledge of a given skill set will make the difference in getting through the door for an interview or not.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Nunchuck skills...

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Over rated. now throwing stars??? That's fucking money in the bank!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#15]
nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills?

Ironically one of the most useful classes I took in college was an Excel class.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You don't, really.

View Quote

this.

stuff like this can be part of your basic competencies, but to list things like these as "skills" is .  imagine if someone took you seriously when you list excel as a skill.  how would you answer an interviewer who asks "can you give me some examples of the kinds of things you do with excel?" or says "here's a multivariate data set.  see what you can do with it--you have one hour"?

can you write scripts/macros?  how good are you with pivot tables?  what about plug-ins?

you get the idea OP.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#17]
num-chucks

Quoted:
Bow staff skills?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Just claim to be a Native american

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you ever tossed a midget? I've always wanted to hire a midget tosser.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Languages

Especially Spanish
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Honorable Discharge from military service.
View Quote

Nah, that's more of a hamper these days.  Put down Spanish instead.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I was once told that I got the interview only because of a minor one hour long class which I had included on my paperwork.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

OSHA training?  An aquintance of mine did this specifically to pad his resume, which led to a management job. And he's an idiot.
View Quote

I have a bunch of OSHA courses and I don't even list it. I do list my TWIC card just because it saves time and everyone in my industry needs it nowdays.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Fluffer.

Trust me on this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Things that could be universal for many jobs. For example I have recently done a CPR, first aid class. Microsoft excel. Microsoft word. This stuff may or may not help. But at the least it gives me some extra stuff to list to dress up my resume a bit. Got any other ideas? I don't mind spending a few bucks for a course or class if it'll make me more marketable to potential employers. Time however is an issue. I can't go to trade schools or anything like that.
View Quote

If you have a skill that is relevant to the job, list it. If it is not relevant, don't list it.

* Highly sought after tier 1 tactical as fuck operator who can kill enemy at 3500 yds with one fart
* Can make excellent tangerine smoothie
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#26]

What is her story?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What is her story?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What is her story?

Fiction.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#29]
11B is pretty helpf....hhhhnnnggghhhhh!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

What is her story?
View All Quotes

Faux-cahontas?

You haven't heard of Elisabeth Warren?

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You don't, really.

View Quote

Great post!

I take it you're the in the analytical field?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Free-lance troubleshooter, Blade Runner.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Volunteer for something - e.g. habitat for humanity
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#34]
If you have any data analysis experience or are applying for a white collar job, SAS has an online free program for their basic course, it used to cost maybe 2k? It is a statistical software package. Basic online class wouldn't prepare you for much, but if you know the basics it lets people know you can be taught. I've also seen six sigma green belt courses free in the DFW area, may be in other metro areas as well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Never had a wreck while you were driving is a good one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you have any data analysis experience or are applying for a white collar job, SAS has an online free program for their basic course, it used to cost maybe 2k? It is a statistical software package. Basic online class wouldn't prepare you for much, but if you know the basics it lets people know you can be taught. I've also seen six sigma green belt courses free in the DFW area, may be in other metro areas as well.
View Quote

The free SAS basic course is intended for people who want to learn how to write statistical programs. Slightly more difficult than the point/click interface. But that would definitely help out someone's resume.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Depends on what kind of job you are looking for.

When sifting through laborer resumes, we found "I like to shovel" and we stopped right there and short listed him.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Faux-cahontas?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is her story?

Faux-cahontas?

Also known as Lieawatha!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#39]
List the most beers consumed in one sitting if its > 18.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Get lean six sigma certified. It is easy as fuck most community colleges or adult learning centers have the training available and for whatever reason most employers eat that shit up. I am a black belt ( stupid fucking term ) and I have had people begging me to work for them because I have the training.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:27:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Get lean six sigma certified. It is easy as fuck most community colleges or adult learning centers have the training available and for whatever reason most employers eat that shit up. I am a black belt ( stupid fucking term ) and I have had people begging me to work for them because I have the training.
View Quote
While that may be true the 2 most useless fucks I have ever worked with were six sigma black belts. They cost the company an unbelievable amount of money!

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
While that may be true the 2 most useless fucks I have ever worked with were six sigma black belts. They cost the company an unbelievable amount of money!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey now I didn't say the training was valuable or anything because it is a giant waste of time and a stupid ass concept over all but employers LOVE IT and it is stupid easy to get.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#43]
"Encyclopedic knowledge of the theory and application of the lightsaber in close quarter combat."
" Cognizant and versed in obscure tribal customs as practiced by indigenous peoples of South America"
"Author and lecturer on the subject: Paradigms of the New World Order and It's Possible Tax Implications"
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:13:34 AM EDT
[#44]
That stuff is fluff.  A resume should be brief and factual.  Too much fluff = toss it and pick up another resume that gets to the point.

So much of getting a job is who you know, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:28:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Am I really the first one to say just lie?  It's a resume, they expect you to lie, if you only list the truth you're already starting at a disadvantage (against an equally skilled candidate)
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:31:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Talk fast, think fast, act fast.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:33:32 AM EDT
[#47]
AR15.com post count

You better get to work.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:34:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Am I really the first one to say just lie?  It's a resume, they expect you to lie, if you only list the truth you're already starting at a disadvantage (against an equally skilled candidate)
View Quote

I have never lied on a resume because I have actual accomplishments.

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:57:26 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't ever lie and can literally document anything I put on there.

That said, it's all about phrasing.  

I've competitively promoted employees internally on a number of occasions, and routinely see workplace rockstars who have done impressive stuff, but do a poor job of capturing it on their resumes.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top