Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2014 6:38:26 PM EDT
First off, yes I left the basement and talked to the husband about it.  My neighbors are cool except for this stupid dog.  It is really the wife's dog and she is hyper sensitive.  She has already convinced herself the neighborhood thinks she's an overbearing mother.  (she is )

The dog never shuts up.  Any time it's outside, it's yapping and yipping.

It wakes my kids up or makes it hard for them to sleep.

Shooting the dog is not an option, but I would like to annoy the F*ck out of it.  Is it possible to buy some sweet directional ultra-high pitch sonic device?  Or should I just spray the damn thing with a hose?

ETA: Sonic device needs to have serious range and power.  I want this dog to run.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

First off, yes I left the basement and talked to the husband about it.  My neighbors are cool except for this stupid dog.  It is really the wife's dog and she is hyper sensitive.  She has already convinced herself the neighborhood thinks she's an overbearing mother.  (she is )

Shooting the dog is not an option, but I would like to annoy the F*ck out of it.  Is it possible to buy some sweet directional ultra-high pitch sonic device?  Or should I just spray the damn thing with a hose?
View Quote

That's a good idea! The best way to get a dog to be quiet is to irritate it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
dog whistle...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
There are a few dog whistle apps for smartphones , lots of fun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a laser for it to chase.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Move

Dogs bark, some bark lots thats life
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Doggie treats with a bit of alum on them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Move or shut the fuck up about it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Build a sonic wall.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice, OP...torment a poor dog for its bad behavior when the owner is the one who deserves it for her lack of training / socializing the animal properly. If you have to make someone miserable, you need to target the wife and her henpecked husband for their failings, not some yappy little dog with a brain the size of a walnut, no matter how annoying he is.

Hope you can come up with a better solution that aggravates the neighbors themselves, they sound like they deserve it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice, OP...torment a poor dog for its bad behavior when the owner is the one who deserves it for her lack of training / socializing the animal properly. If you have to make someone miserable, you need to target the wife and her henpecked husband for their failings, not some yappy little dog with a brain the size of a walnut, no matter how annoying he is.

Hope you can come up with a better solution that aggravates the neighbors themselves, they sound like they deserve it.
View Quote

he should buy a larger yappy dog. Teach them a lesson he will.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Just put a speaker outside playing a dog barking. The neighbors might get the hint
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! I like it...not quite what I was thinking, but that should get the point across.

Was thinking OP could tape a nice long hour session of yapster, save it for an evening when things are actually quiet on the neighbor's side (or they are sleeping at 3 am) and play the bark session nice and loud just for them.

Or work up a nice low frequency noise generator, directed at their house...the ultralow frequencies supposedly play hell with peoples nervous systems, and they start seeing and hearing things. A few weeks later when they surmise their house is haunted, a for sale sign goes up and they are on their way out. OP could come up with something if he really put his mind to it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Install a nice set of dual pane windows. You'll never hear a thing. Or very little of it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Just put a speaker outside playing a dog barking. The neighbors might get the hint
View Quote

This.

Leave muffins with "Bark" and "Yip" written in icing on them.

Mail them singing cards for every holiday, but re-program it to play their dog barking when they open the card.

Record their dog barking and set it as your ring tone before going to their house. Or your alarm tone. Set alarm to go off every 3 minutes.

Hang a banner on the fence (their side) that read BARK BARK BARK YIP HOWL BARK BARK BOB BARKER in giant font.

Go to the local ASPCA and clean them out of brochures and business cards. Fill neighbors mailbox with these materials.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]
OH HEY ITS YOU!!!!  I happened to overhear your neighbors mom in the waiting room at the oil change place last week.  Really.  Her daughters yapper happens to be a 'special needs' dog, and deserves only the utmost love and support for its unique snowflake condition.  You (and the other people who don't appreciate its incessant yapping) need to get over yourselves and quit complaining.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#20]
3 step program..

1) Talk to neighbor: politely inform them of the problem and ask for their assistance in rectifying it(Your such a nice neighbor!).  

No good? okay...proceed to step 2

2) when dog is making a racket, call them (repeatedly, if necessary) and express concern that something is wrong..."is Fido okay...he's been barking non-stop for an hour...I'm worried he might be tangled or something" ..they might get tired of hearing from you..

Still no joy?...okay, we tried to be nice...proceed to step 3

3) Google "amplified phone ringer"..Radio Shack used to sell them...you want the "outdoor" model "...about 110db. Install amplified ringer facing neighbors house and connect to home phone. Call your home phone with your cell phone. Repeat as necessary. Should sound like an tractor trailer is parked on your lawn and somebody is playing with the air horns. With their house shaking, windows rattling and car alarm going off every time you get a call, I bet you will find them more receptive to finding a resolution to the "Fido" problem.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#21]
You could play one of those tracks that lure in a coyote. ....it sounds like an injured animal
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Play this loudly through your stereo

Or just go meet the fucking dog and play with it. Let it get to know you.
It's more likely to STFU. That's what I did years ago when a close neighbor had an annoying yippie dog.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Leave the dog alone, Get yourself a backbone and confront the shitbag neighbors,
it's not the dogs fault that its owners are inconsiderate assholes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:15:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Leave the dog alone, Get yourself a backbone and confront the shitbag neighbors,it's not the dogs fault that its owners are inconsiderate assholes.
View Quote

True, but on the other hand some small dogs are just worthless noisy crap machines.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Research your locality noise ordinance(s).

Our borough doesn't allow a dog to "bark continuously and/or incessantly for more than 10 minutes, or 30 minutes intermittently. Any time of the day or night."

Call the po-po.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:36:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Mosquito App.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#28]
My neighbors have 2 annoying dogs that like to yap alot, but they also cook me barbecue and give me beer, so I'm willing to overlook the dogs.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:55:27 AM EDT
[#29]
[b]Quoted:[b/b]

Our borough doesn't allow a dog to "bark continuously and/or incessantly for more than 10 minutes, or 30 minutes intermittently. Any time of the day or night."

Call the po-po.
View Quote

or your town's version of code enforcement.  Sometimes that works much better than cops,
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:14:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Air compressor plus dog whistle, worked for me. Dag basically went inside and shat all over their floor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:57:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I heard microwaves can be directed and sent for impressive distance
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:11:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Air compressor plus dog whistle, worked for me. Dag basically went inside and shat all over their floor.
View Quote
You win.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Excellent.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:57:40 AM EDT
[#34]
So while YOU shouldn't have to be the one to do it, you can fix it for about $40.  I have 3 rescue dogs who mean a great deal to me.  They're all dachshund / terrier mixes, and they can be a little yippie.  Making things worse - when one starts, they all go nuts. One doesn't like bicycles, one doesn't like squirrels, and the other doesn't like other dogs, and we live in a touristy area with lots of the above I did some research and bought them the PetSafe spray anti-bark pet collars from Amazon. It sprays them with citronella when they bark.  I thought "citronella?  Really?  No way that will work."  I was wrong.  Those things work like a champ.  Maybe an early Christmas gift??
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:05:53 AM EDT
[#35]
on one of my former message boards, one of the posters used some kind of reflecting dish that's suppose to reflect and amplify a dog's bark back at itself if aimed properly.

IIRC she was still setting it up, and hadn't even aimed it yet, and the dog barked a few times, stopped in surprised, barked again and then stopped.  I guess it learned quickly "bark = this annoying sound that I don't like"
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:31:57 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Move

View Quote

Move?  Did you say move?  Because of a barking dog?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:34:03 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

So while YOU shouldn't have to be the one to do it, you can fix it for about $40.  I have 3 rescue dogs who mean a great deal to me.  They're all dachshund / terrier mixes, and they can be a little yippie.  Making things worse - when one starts, they all go nuts. One doesn't like bicycles, one doesn't like squirrels, and the other doesn't like other dogs, and we live in a touristy area with lots of the above I did some research and bought them the PetSafe spray anti-bark pet collars from Amazon. It sprays them with citronella when they bark.  I thought "citronella?  Really?  No way that will work."  I was wrong.  Those things work like a champ.  Maybe an early Christmas gift??
View Quote

Hmmm.....

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:36:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Move

I agree.  OP should annoy the dog so it barks incessantly so that the owners will be forced to deal with it's Yippy ass.  Owners of smaller dogs usually suck ass at discipline....which is why I think they get smaller dogs in the 1st place.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:59:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's gold!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Move

View Quote

Bullshit. Shut your fucking untrained dog up!

Eta: say this to your neighbor. Applies to barking dogs also.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yWuvFQiUWtA
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cl.jroo.me/z3/t/e/G/d/a.aaa-Bad-ass-meme.jpg

Another arfcom irresponsible dog owner.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
3 step program..

1) Talk to neighbor: politely inform them of the problem and ask for their assistance in rectifying it(Your such a nice neighbor!).  

No good? okay...proceed to step 2

2) when dog is making a racket, call them (repeatedly, if necessary) and express concern that something is wrong..."is Fido okay...he's been barking non-stop for an hour...I'm worried he might be tangled or something" ..they might get tired of hearing from you..

Still no joy?...okay, we tried to be nice...proceed to step 3

3) Google "amplified phone ringer"..Radio Shack used to sell them...you want the "outdoor" model "...about 110db. Install amplified ringer facing neighbors house and connect to home phone. Call your home phone with your cell phone. Repeat as necessary. Should sound like an tractor trailer is parked on your lawn and somebody is playing with the air horns. With their house shaking, windows rattling and car alarm going off every time you get a call, I bet you will find them more receptive to finding a resolution to the "Fido" problem.
View Quote

Talk to the neighbor?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

We used this to shut up a neighbor's dog:

It worked beautifully.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Lentek-Super-Bark-Training-Device/dp/B000N2N9DU

It worked beautifully.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here you go.

It worked beautifully.

1) Get up the nerve to talk to your neighbor. Be prepared with a reasonable solution. Be ready to compromise to some degree, the neighbor has the right to let their dog outside, but you have the right to some quiet.

2) Next, if you asked your neighbor to keep the dog quiet and you followed up with several request to no avail, it's time to call animal control. Explain your situation to them and what you need done. Hopefully they can talk to the neighbor and get through to them that it is against the local noise ordinance to let the dog bark all day. The only drawback: neighbor war. Forget about the friendly waves when you see your neighbor in the yard, you'll get icy looks instead. Might be a good tradeoff for some peace.

3) Animal control is a bust. The neighbor now leaves the dog out day and night just to spite you. You have lost the reasonable enjoyment of your home. Time to hire an attorney. In preparation you need to log the problem dog's behavior with the time and length of barking. Also a video camera of the hellhound in all it's barking, whining and howling glory would help. Go to court, hopefully you'll win.

4) Move. This barking is never gonna end and you are gonna lose your sanity and kill someone. You lost this time, but you win in the long run, peace and tranquility!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Get a piece of Ex-Lax and put it in the middle of a ball of hamburger. Feed to dog.

Once the ExLax works it magic, every time the dog barks, it will shit.

It WILL quit yapping, and the look on the dog's face is priceless.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Slip it a dog biscuit soaked in ham grease whenever it is outside.  The neighbors will get tired of cleaning up runny  dog shit throughout their house every morning.  Dog will be found a new home in a few days.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

A.  Your username is ironic.

B.  You can always tell the bad neighbors and people who neglect their dogs in these threads.  Just like the restaurant threads where people who let their brats run around screaming show up all butthurt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or, for the owner, air compressor and vuvuzela  (unless it's illegal where you live, that would break my fucking heart)
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Mount 24hr/day surveillance camera and point it at neighbor's house. Then Video tape with audio.

Call the po-po.
View Quote

Give COPY of tape to Po-Po.

FIFY.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
1) Get up the nerve to talk to your neighbor. Be prepared with a reasonable solution. Be ready to compromise to some degree, the neighbor has the right to let their dog outside, but you have the right to some quiet.

2) Next, if you asked your neighbor to keep the dog quiet and you followed up with several request to no avail, it's time to call animal control. Explain your situation to them and what you need done. Hopefully they can talk to the neighbor and get through to them that it is against the local noise ordinance to let the dog bark all day. The only drawback: neighbor war. Forget about the friendly waves when you see your neighbor in the yard, you'll get icy looks instead. Might be a good tradeoff for some peace.

3) Animal control is a bust. The neighbor now leaves the dog out day and night just to spite you. You have lost the reasonable enjoyment of your home. Time to hire an attorney. In preparation you need to log the problem dog's behavior with the time and length of barking. Also a video camera of the hellhound in all it's barking, whining and howling glory would help. Go to court, hopefully you'll win.

4) Move. This barking is never gonna end and you are gonna lose your sanity and kill someone. You lost this time, but you win in the long run, peace and tranquility!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It worked beautifully.

Or, if the neighbor is 175 years old, deaf as shit, and has no idea the dog's barking, and you don't want to be an ass and get the dog taken away from her, you spend a few bucks on a device that trains the dog not to bark.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top