Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/29/2014 2:34:27 PM EDT
Finnish YLE Article

Finland’s defence minister describes ”frustration” at the news of a third alleged airspace incursion within a week and announces stepped-up surveillance by Hornet fighters, in an apparent hardening of attitudes towards Russia’s actions.
View Quote

Looks like the Russians are doing more posturing in the face of Finland participating in NATO naval forces exercise, allowing ships to dock at Turku.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/nato_warships_receive_mixed_welcome_in_turku_harbour/7442268

Russia just warned Finland that it could start World War III if it joins NATO.

Putin envoy warns Finland against joining NATO

“Anti-Semitism started World War II, Russophobia could start the third. Finland is one of the most russiphobian countries in Europe, together with Sweden and the Baltic states,” says Russian President Vladimir Putin’s personal envoy Sergei Markov, interviewed by Hufudstadsbladet this weekend.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It isn't Finnish air space if Russian aircraft can travel through it without permission or interception.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Finnish YLE Article

http://img.yle.fi/uutiset/news/article7442515.ece/ALTERNATES/w580/Finnish+airspace+incursions+29_8

Finland’s defence minister describes ”frustration” at the news of a third alleged airspace incursion within a week and announces stepped-up surveillance by Hornet fighters, in an apparent hardening of attitudes towards Russia’s actions.
View Quote

http://img.yle.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/article7272477.ece/ALTERNATES/w320h180/1_6_+Hornet.jpg

Looks like the Russians are doing more posturing in the face of Finland participating in NATO naval forces exercise, allowing ships to dock at Turku.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/nato_warships_receive_mixed_welcome_in_turku_harbour/7442268

Russia just warned Finland that it could start World War III if it joins NATO.

Putin envoy warns Finland against joining NATO

“Anti-Semitism started World War II, Russophobia could start the third. Finland is one of the most russiphobian countries in Europe, together with Sweden and the Baltic states,” says Russian President Vladimir Putin’s personal envoy Sergei Markov, interviewed by Hufudstadsbladet this weekend.
View Quote
View Quote

I simply can't imagine why.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Time to send back all the M39s
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#4]
These fucking Russians. They are going to keep messing around until an ugly incident takes place. Then we know the rest of the story.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

These fucking Russians. They are going to keep messing around until an ugly incident takes place. Then we know the rest of the story.

http://i.imgur.com/TeP8yaW.png
View Quote

I guess they are trying to get info on the NATO exercise. Although other more experienced members might chime in about why they are doing this.

I wouldn't necessarily blame them. Heck, if the Ruskies were to do a military exercise, I'd want an eye in the sky monitoring what exactly they are doing. (Maybe even an ear in the water too.)

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I admit it,I hate Russians. They're a bunch of drunken mongoloids who only produce an occasionally decent example of a human at approximately the same rate that civilized cultures produce sociopaths.

I'm not Russophobic,I simply can't stand them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
One of the main issues is that Finland and Russia have been excellent trade partners for each other, especially through and after the Cold War.

Russia has always felt very uncomfortable and vulnerable to not have Finland under its control, which it did to some extent in the last days of the Czarist Empire.  Once Germany funded the Bolshevik Revolution with a Lenin front man to get the Czarist Army out of the Great War, Finland was able to gain independence for the first time in centuries of Swedish and Russian Empire conquests.

The reason why Stalin invaded in 1939 was to secure their most vulnerable border region, within spitting distance of their 2nd largest city, Sainkt Petersburg (Leningrad at the time).  By invading and taking control over Helsinki, he thought he would have that part of their border firmly secure, with Finland's wonderful deep sea ports and sea access to further the Soviet Union's naval, economic, and trade status.

Of course, it didn't work out so well.  The Finns were underestimated in the most historically epic sense, sans Thermopylae, and the Soviet Union lost 10 entire divisions in a period of 105 days in what would be known as...Talvisota, or Winter War.  My grandfather fought in it, as well as the Continuation War.

I have personally witnessed a MiG-29 flying over Central Finland in 2012, while out boating on a lake.  This incident does not appear on the incursions map, and was a very low-level flight path.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It isn't Finnish air space if Russian aircraft can travel through it without permission or interception.
View Quote

I'd be OK with it if they gave a next time we splash the fucker warning and followed through.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Huh I wonder why Finnland would be Russophobic?

Surely they're just mean racist and this undue hatred has no actual historical significance.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I guess they are trying to get info on the NATO exercise. Although other more experienced members might chime in about why they are doing this.

I wouldn't necessarily blame them. Heck, if the Ruskies were to do a military exercise, I'd want an eye in the sky monitoring what exactly they are doing. (Maybe even an ear in the water too.)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/TeP8yaW.png

They have plenty of spies in the harbors, around Finnish bases, and living in Finland under cover for status.  They've been purchasing real estate around Finnish military bases ever since Putin became President.  It is simply not acceptable for Russia to have Finland part of NATO, because Sainkt Petersburg is within such a close distance to the border, even after the Russians took Karelia in the 1940's.

With modern weaponry and the range and payload capability of just tactical systems, both land and air delivered, they have strategic implications for the Baltic Region, and Russia would end up at the mercy of 2 NATO nations as to its access to the Baltic Sea, having to pass through Estonia and Finland's waters.

Finland as a NATO nation, even without any change to its military structure, would then be in alliance and subject to trade embargoes on Russia, and Russia does not want that to happen.  Neither does Finland.  Russia is posturing to intimidate Finland to let them know this game is for keeps, but the Finns are already painfully aware of that, and will have a difficult time of not escalating their national defense outlook, which then forces the Russians to break out the next chess piece.

Not a smart game to play, considering Finland has JASSM's by the dozens for launch from F/A-18's.  It has plenty of range to reach targets in Russia, with a 450kg warhead.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Larry Thorne is not impressed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Finland only has about 60 F-18 Hornets to FO with and none of them are set up for Air to Ground Operations against invasion. I always wondered why NATO never put a base in there right after the collapse of the Soviet Union. That was a missed opportunity as Russia was still trying to pick up its pieces.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#14]
start shooting down the Russian planes :shrugs:
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Finland only has about 60 F-18 Hornets to FO with and none of them are set up for Air to Ground Operations against invasion. I always wondered why NATO never put a base in there right after the collapse of the Soviet Union. That was a missed opportunity as Russia was still trying to pick up its pieces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Finland ordered the F-18 Hornet with no A2G capabilities, to let Russia know they were intentionally structuring the aircraft as an air defense fighter only, to replace aging MiG-21's and Draakens.

That all went out the window in 2010, when Finland asked to be able to purchase the JASSM from the US.  The Finnish Air Force F-18's have been going through avionics and accessory upgrades to be fully capable F/A-18C/D with MLU-1 focusing on Helmet Mounted Display and Integration of AIM-9X, as well as upgrading the IFF capabilities for BVR work and AMRAAM.

Here's the summary of MLU-2:

The primary objective of the second upgrade, designated MLU 2 and slated for implementation between 2010 and 2016, is to give the Hornet a surface attack capability that will be used to support the combat of the other services during joint operations.

Finnish Air Force MLU-2 Fact Sheet

They've been canning the CRT's and going to LCD displays, going to the later variants of AMRAAM, improving structural components of the airframe, and getting the engines overhauled.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Paging Mr. Hayha, Mr. Hayha to the white courtesy phone....

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Only problem with this is; are the Finns still the insane ass kickers? I mean, things change, has their population gotten as soft as our own and most Western countries?

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Only problem with this is; are the Finns still the insane ass kickers? I mean, things change, has their population gotten as soft as our own and most Western countries?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would say that they are when they're fighting for their existence. I support Finland 100%.

And fuck Russia.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#19]
One SAM battery staffed by 'Rebels' would fix that violation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The problem is that the war was "paused" and continued the next year and Finland lost, even with Nazi help.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They do have the highest handgun ownership rate in the world.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would say that they are when they're fighting for their existence. I support Finland 100%.

And fuck Russia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And fuck Russia.

Fuck them in the ass with a rusty Finnish cactus.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Fuck them in the ass with a rusty Finnish cactus vodka bottle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And fuck Russia.

Fuck them in the ass with a rusty Finnish cactus vodka bottle.

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And fuck Russia.

Fuck them in the ass with a rusty, broken Finnish cactus vodka bottle.

FIFY

Fixed it again
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:11:51 PM EDT
[#25]
And amateur hour continues at the White House.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#26]
This is nothing. In 1985 the Soviets fired a fucking cruise missile (SSN 3 or 12) into Lapland. Luckily for everyone involved it didn't carry a warhead and fell harmlessly into a frozen lake.

The real squeeze from Russia is economic. The trade sanctions Russia has imposed are really hurting us money-wise.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is nothing. In 1985 the Soviets fired a fucking cruise missile (SSN 3 or 12) into Lapland. Luckily for everyone involved it didn't carry a warhead and fell harmlessly into a frozen lake.

The real squeeze from Russia is economic. The trade sanctions Russia has imposed are really hurting us money-wise.
View Quote

What are those sanctions?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Restrictions on food stuffs imported from Finland, essentially dairy products. Now they are also talking about restricting Russians from travelling abroad - Russian tourists bring annually nearly a billion euros to Finland. Not devastating stuff but painful in the current economic situation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Restrictions on food stuffs imported from Finland, essentially dairy products. Now they are also talking about restricting Russians from travelling abroad - Russian tourists bring annually nearly a billion euros to Finland. Not devastating stuff but painful in the current economic situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like a good time to find new export markets.  Easier said than done, since Russia is right there.  Russia's economy really needs Finland, since Finland is rich with deep sea ports.  There aren't many other options for them to import goods into the Sainkt Petersburg and Moscow regions.

It has been this way dating way back, to the extent that Russia even imported hay from Finland. Finland is more temperate than Russia due to being located near so many waters.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#30]
The air space belongs to those that have the will and ability to keep it.  Doesn't sound to me like the Finns have the will.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Looks like a good time to find new export markets.  Easier said than done, since Russia is right there.  Russia's economy really needs Finland, since Finland is rich with deep sea ports.  There aren't many other options for them to import goods into the Sainkt Petersburg and Moscow regions.

It has been this way dating way back, to the extent that Russia even imported hay from Finland. Finland is more temperate than Russia due to being located near so many waters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I bet Russia can't sustain itself agriculturally. It would end up hurting them more than you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Is Simo Häyhä gonna have to come out of his cryogenic sleep to fuck up some more Russian commies?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually worked in Russian transit trade in the 90s. Back then everything moved via Finnish ports. Hasn't been that way for over ten years now. The traffic from Finnish ports has decreased in sync with the expansion of the Bolshoi. It takes ships with 11 m draft nowadays.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This. I bet Russia can't sustain itself agriculturally. It would end up hurting them more than you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case Russia would have no real choice other than a war of territorial conquest, would she?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had any say in the matter I'd be throwing some very favorable trade agreements your way... But I don't.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In that case Russia would have no real choice other than a war of territorial conquest, would she?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A war she knows she will lose? Doubtful.

More likely the second option: Stop acting like assholes, calm everything down a notch, and open a dialog with the Western powers on reducing tensions and opening trade for mutual benefit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

More likely the second option: Stop acting like assholes, calm everything down a notch, and open a dialog with the Western powers on reducing tensions and opening trade for mutual benefit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may not be reading your mind properly, but are you saying that you think the Finns would win in a war against Russia?  Or that you think that the Finns could count on NATO for support?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#38]
The reds are getting froggy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The reds are getting froggy.
View Quote

And the frogs are full on red
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I may not be reading your mind properly, but are you saying that you think the Finns would win in a war against Russia?  Or that you think that the Finns could count on NATO for support?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If Russia invades Finland, the course would be set for a larger conflict between the West and Russia. At the minimum, the West would impose total sanctions on Russia, defeating the purpose of the conquest of Finland and putting Russia in an unsurvivable position. Russia's options would be expand the war or capitulate.

Direct involvement is also quite possible.

There is no scenario in which Russia comes out on top by invading Finland. It's an express train to Hell and they must know it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow. I guess I've lived under a rock. I thought Finland was already in NATO.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sweden can't into NATO either.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Finland... The introverted, antisocial gun-nut of Europen nations...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Of course, it didn't work out so well.  The Finns were underestimated in the most historically epic sense, sans Thermopylae, and the Soviet Union lost 10 entire divisions in a period of 105 days in what would be known as...Talvisota, or Winter War.  My grandfather fought in it, as well as the Continuation War.

View Quote

The biggest reason why the Russians did so poorly was the military purges that Stalin had placed on his military. Once they recovered from that, they became a well fighting machine.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give Russia a little time to keep pissing them off and I bet that changes...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I always figured Finland was a like-minded people. Hate Russia, Communism and all that. And thus would be a natural choice to be a member of NATO.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I guess I always figured Finland was a like-minded people. Hate Russia, Communism and all that. And thus would be a natural choice to be a member of NATO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finlandization
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
One SAM battery staffed by 'Rebels' would fix that violation.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

....just like the kennedy admin
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obama is a pussy. The Kennedy Administration made the Soviets back down. They thought Kennedy was a weak dick pushover, but it turns out they misjudged him. Obama is a weak dick pushover.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top