Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

THIS.  We are on the verge of some pretty epic changes in entertainment, and personally - I'm not sure it's for the better.  Sure, we're paying less, but that means a serious drop in quality.  I call it the "WalMart effect" on entertainment.  Hope you like SciFy movies

and THIS.  Longmire's audience is actually fairly small in the grand scheme of things.  It's probably very high on this site, but this site doesn't represent mainstream America any more (as we're all painfully aware ).  Advertising dollars were limited, and as stated above - given the declining cost of consumer participation (i.e. cable or satellite service costs), advertising is where it's at now.  I call this the "YouTube effect" - where you can basically watch anything you want for free (as long as you watch a few ads).  What this generally means is that niche entertainment products will struggle.  Production companies will stick to a tried-and-true genre that appeals to a very wide audience.  You'll see a whole lot more CSI type nonsense before you see some great original series (that we all love) succeed.  

and NOT this .  Perhaps compared to an action adventure with big explosions, but the budget of Longmire is pretty up there.  Outdoor sets/locations with scenic views are much more expensive than indoor (logistics and weather alone).  They have some pretty known cast who negotiated well on their contracts.  Because of their budget range and production companies - everything they do is union.  The have a mix of action, special effects, and pretty much everything expensive in the production world.  I'd put them up there with a Hell on Wheels or similar (NOT cheap).  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think we are in the middle of a huge change in how shows will be marketed. With the invention of internet TV, cable is starting to feel the pinch. I for one dropped my cable and saved $80 a month. I don't miss it one bit. I watch Netflix and such.

I think you will see traditional cable networks scaling back as their revenues fall. These networks are caught between a rock and a hard spot given their contracts with the cable providers. There is not enough business on the internet side for them to jump ship as of yet. This decision to sell the series could be nothing more than them trying to maximize their profits.

THIS.  We are on the verge of some pretty epic changes in entertainment, and personally - I'm not sure it's for the better.  Sure, we're paying less, but that means a serious drop in quality.  I call it the "WalMart effect" on entertainment.  Hope you like SciFy movies

Quoted:
WHY?

1) Show is not politically correct. No gay or black characters. Every perp is not automatically the white guy like CSI/SVU etc.
2) Demographics skews older and white. Advertisers want young viewers
3) Scripted dramas are more expensive to produce then reality shows and cut into the bottom line.

and THIS.  Longmire's audience is actually fairly small in the grand scheme of things.  It's probably very high on this site, but this site doesn't represent mainstream America any more (as we're all painfully aware ).  Advertising dollars were limited, and as stated above - given the declining cost of consumer participation (i.e. cable or satellite service costs), advertising is where it's at now.  I call this the "YouTube effect" - where you can basically watch anything you want for free (as long as you watch a few ads).  What this generally means is that niche entertainment products will struggle.  Production companies will stick to a tried-and-true genre that appeals to a very wide audience.  You'll see a whole lot more CSI type nonsense before you see some great original series (that we all love) succeed.  

Quoted:
Longmire, A&E Network’s most-watched original drama series of all time, will be ending its run on the cable network after three seasons.

Why do they drop the good shows?  It doesn't appear to be a show that costs a lot of money to produce.

and NOT this .  Perhaps compared to an action adventure with big explosions, but the budget of Longmire is pretty up there.  Outdoor sets/locations with scenic views are much more expensive than indoor (logistics and weather alone).  They have some pretty known cast who negotiated well on their contracts.  Because of their budget range and production companies - everything they do is union.  The have a mix of action, special effects, and pretty much everything expensive in the production world.  I'd put them up there with a Hell on Wheels or similar (NOT cheap).  

I agree somewhat but I think in the long run we'll be better off. Cable is going to go through the same issues that broad cast went through. guess what? broadcast got better. The Arrow is easily one of the best action dramas on TV. AOS is pretty good too.

Right now whats starting to kill cable is:

500 channels of pure dog shit with only 4-6 channels of decent entertainment

lets face it. if its not HBO, Showtime, Starz, TNT, A&E, AMC, SyFy, and FX its shit programming.

490 channels of shitty reality shows, contests, and 5 trillion home improvement shows is a recepie for low ratings across the board, low advertising dollars, low returns. t

to compensate for that channels are demanding more money. I just ordered up Comcast cable internet this week. what they want for tv channels is nuts and the problem is its because you are paying for 490 shitty channels to exist.

this downward spiral is going to keep up until Comcast and the other cable companies give in to consumers and give them what they really want.

ala carte channels. This why people like Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix. they get to watch JUST what they want to watch and pay for just that.. Netflix is $10 a month Hulu and Amazon are similarly priced. its not that people aren't willing to pay its that they aren't willing to pay for 490 channels of shit shocked full of commercials.

I'm not paying comcast $150 a month to sit there and watch a ton of shitty commercials. the cheese is moving.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife and I really liked that show. And if it had high ratings, why cancel it?

FA&E
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
All I want to know is who killed the guy's wife.

Tell me that before you cancel it.

That and we need more Katee Sackhoff. You just get a bit of her boobs in Riddick, kind of on the small side, but still completely fantastic.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Watched it a few times, it's alright, but they had a lot of "mystical Indian bullshit" in it (as my dad calls it) that was kinda lame.

Walt needs to learn more about 1911s, that's for damn sure.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:15:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Coming soon to A&E:  "Gay Black Tattooed Car Wash Midget Wives".
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#6]
The guy they dug up, Miller Beck, Dog soldier killed him to tie up loose ends, Branch's dad paid Nighthorse for the deed.  Current questions were, which Branch caught the trap load and who was Longmire going to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Noooooooooo!  
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Idiocracy in action...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit.  Why do they keep canceling shows I like while all the crap shows I can't stand stay on...

TV is a reflection of the viewing public.
there's a lot of morons out there.

Idiocracy in action...

Honey BOo Boo, WrestleMania , Big Brother, and the View seem to be hanging in there.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Netflix will pick it up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Coming soon to A&E:  "Gay Black Tattooed Car Wash Midget Wives".
View Quote

<-------- Checking DVR to see if it's listed...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Netflix will pick it up.
View Quote

It won't be long before Netflix is running with live TV shit.
They signed Handler, that's the start.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#12]
So after 3 seasons of getting this show set up A&E turns around and goes "lol nope"?

Awesome.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Netflix will pick it up.

Yeah, they are going to cause the networks to seriously reevaluate their strategies.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I blame Gerald McRaney.

Jericho.  Cancellled.
Deadwood.  Cancelled.
Longmire.  Cancelled.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#15]
A&E just sucks, none of what they have is neither art nor entertainment.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Shades of Firefly
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#17]
This sucks.  I liked the show, even with some of the issues (way too many people getting murdered in Podunkville, WY for example.....)

The only reason I started watching was because of Katee Sackhoff......  
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Did a Google site search of arfcom didn't see this posted. Longmire has been canceled by A&E. Will apparently be shopped to other networks.

‘Longmire’ Cancelled By A&E, Will Be Shopped Elsewhere

http://deadline.com/2014/08/longmire-cancelled-by-ae-will-be-shopped-elsewhere-826379/

Longmire, A&E Network’s most-watched original drama series of all time, will be ending its run on the cable network after three seasons. In a surprising move, the network has opted not to renew the series for a fourth season. I hear Warner Horizon, the studio behind Longmire, will be shopping it immediately. "We would like to thank the phenomenal cast, crew and producers of Longmire, along with our partners at Warner Horizon, for their tireless work on three seasons of quality dramatic storytelling,” A&E said in a statement. "We are incredibly proud of what we have achieved together.”
View Quote
View Quote

W

T

F

?

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This sucks.  I liked the show, even with some of the issues (way too many people getting murdered in Podunkville, WY for example.....)

The only reason I started watching was because of Katee Sackhoff......  
View Quote

They should do 2-hour movies like Jesse Stone.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think he knows it's filmed in New Mexico...His list is what he'd like to see if another company picks up the show.........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While the show started getting somewhat predictable it was a good kind of predictable.  I hope another network picks it up...

1. They film in WyomingNew Mexico and say it is Wyoming
2. Someone teaches Walt about Cocked and Locked
3. Some better writing
4. Katee and Cassidy get naked, preferably together.

Fixed #1

I think he knows it's filmed in New Mexico...His list is what he'd like to see if another company picks up the show.........

wtf is wrong with them filming it in NM?

way more scenic then WY, and the weather holds out enough they can actually produce it here.

plus, quite a few of my customers make money with the show here.. Walt's home is one of my customers ranches.

plus, every time a production moves I have to hear the libtards fucking whine and blame it on Gov Martinez. fuck I hate hearing them bitch.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I blame Gerald McRaney.

Jericho.  Cancellled.
Deadwood.  Cancelled.
Longmire.  Cancelled.
https://media.zenfs.com/en_us/tv_show/TV/gerald-mcraney-34478.jpg
View Quote

Major Dad. Cancelled.

Fuck that guy!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I watched the first two seasons or so, but it was breaking my suspension of disbelief at that point.  Just can't really reconcile 'sleepy rural county' with that many murders in so short a time.
View Quote

No, that's possible. Back in the '80s, there was a small town in Maine with a murder practically every week.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Meh, I liked the actors but got bored with the whodunit stories.
View Quote

Yep. No long term plot development. Its like csi. a murder solved every 40 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#25]
maybe someone informed the writers that Wyoming has no gun registry, and they realized that all their scripts would fall apart.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So............why do you cease production on a very successful show??
View Quote

Expensive cast.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Major Dad. Cancelled.

Fuck that guy!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I blame Gerald McRaney.

Jericho.  Cancellled.
Deadwood.  Cancelled.
Longmire.  Cancelled.

Major Dad. Cancelled.

Fuck that guy!

and

Simon and Simon
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Dammit, one of my favorite shows on TV.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
plus, quite a few of my customers make money with the show here.. Walt's home is one of my customers ranches.
View Quote

I thought his ranch was the Valles Caldera?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I blame Gerald McRaney.

Jericho.  Cancellled.
Deadwood.  Cancelled.
Longmire.  Cancelled.
View Quote

He's like Ted McGinley.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

and

Simon and Simon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I blame Gerald McRaney.

Jericho.  Cancellled.
Deadwood.  Cancelled.
Longmire.  Cancelled.

Major Dad. Cancelled.

Fuck that guy!

and

Simon and Simon

Now, now!  Major Dad and Simon & Simon both had solid runs.  Jericho was dead before its time.  Deadwood ends on a cliffhanger and Longmire was just getting going.  It's his more recent work that seems to carry with it the guarantee that beloved shows with dedicated fan bases will fail early.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I blame Gerald McRaney.

Jericho.  Cancellled.
Deadwood.  Cancelled.
Longmire.  Cancelled.
View Quote

Don't forget Major Dad and Simon & Simon

Woops, I'm dumb, didn't read the post right above me
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I watched the first two seasons or so, but it was breaking my suspension of disbelief at that point.  Just can't really reconcile 'sleepy rural county' with that many murders in so short a time.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

and

Simon and Simon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I blame Gerald McRaney.

Jericho.  Cancellled.
Deadwood.  Cancelled.
Longmire.  Cancelled.

Major Dad. Cancelled.

Fuck that guy!

and

Simon and Simon

How could I have forgotten about Simon and Simon? That Power Wagon was awesome!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

WHY?

1) Show is not politically correct. No gay or black characters. Every perp is not automatically the white guy like CSI/SVU etc.

2) Demographics skews older and white. Advertisers want young viewers

3) Scripted dramas are more expensive to produce then reality shows and cut into the bottom line.

View Quote

There it is.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I blame Gerald McRaney.

Jericho.  Cancellled.
Deadwood.  Cancelled.
Longmire.  Cancelled.
View Quote

So does that mean he's responsible for Justified ending after six seasons?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I blame Gerald McRaney.

Jericho.  Cancellled.
Deadwood.  Cancelled.
Longmire.  Cancelled.

Hmmm.  Apparently, he did play "Josiah Cairn" in Justified in 2013.

I would say McRaney "kiss of death," except it made it six seasons, which is about as good as TV shows get these days.  I won't hang that one on him.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Please be another 'Netflix Original'
View Quote

I think thas a good possibility.

And even though Walt carried with the hammer down almost every time he pulled it I distinctly saw him cock it as part of his draw.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#40]
in other news, a&e just green lit a reality show about nick and drew lachey running a bar
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#41]
NETFLIX GET IN HERE!!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Yet there are plenty of mindless crap shows the networks come up with every season or renew that are about 5 notches below mindless drivel. Guess the average American really does have shit for brains as I have long believed.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:41:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And even though Walt carried with the hammer down almost every time he pulled it I distinctly saw him cock it as part of his draw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walt was a Marine investigator in Vietnam. How would he have carried his .45?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walt in the book carried cocked and locked, TV Walt doesnt have a good gun guru on the staff.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This is becoming more and more true...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

"We've got a great thing - let's CANCEL IT."

Its called the 'FireFly' effect

This is becoming more and more true...

I call it the Jericho effect.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I blame Gerald McRaney.

Jericho.  Cancellled.
Deadwood.  Cancelled.
Longmire.  Cancelled.
View Quote

Whoa, I think you are on to something.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:56:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Gerald should sign up for dancing with the stars.................................cancelled.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

It got old, for me, seeing Hollywood's take on Wyoming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I watched  for the novelty of seeing which county numbers were on the tags.

It got old, for me, seeing Hollywood's take on Wyoming.

I guess it beats what a real Wyoming script would look like:

Sherriff : What did you do today, Hottie in Uniform?

HIU : Cussed the tourists, and gave a speeding ticket to every Coloradoans I saw.

Stay tuned for next week's episode where the Sherriff drives two hours to Walmart, weens the calves, and curses the tourists more.

There are tourists in Wyoming?  
This.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope, its up in Pecos.

the barn they burnt in one episode was also on his property, and in the episode with the stolen cattle, he was the auctioneer. (what he does for a living)

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Based on my (limited to four or five episodes) opinion, no great loss.  As I have many times, I have watched shows that seem to be highly touted by the GD crowd... Event Horizon, Way of the Gun, Justified, and Longmire only to be severely disappointed.  Maybe I'm just expecting too much.  All I ask is to be entertained and these just barely meet the low bar I set.  Longmire was the TV equivalent of Event Horizon... boring.
Did it get better?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top