Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 25
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC one of the years they won the Super Bowl they went winless in the preseason. With that said I don't think they're being winless in the preseason this year means they have a sliver if a chance. I suspect the lack of wins will carry over to the regular season.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Long time fan and always will be I guess.  

4-12, Romo out around five games in, Garrett gone shortly after Thanksgiving.
Jerry Jones will never hire a football GM as long as he lives because he is still livid that Jimmy Johnson got all the credit for those first two Super Bowls.
View Quote

Preserving this prediction.

And you lifers hatin on me; in know which board you hang out in.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Maybe by America'sTeam they mean the team that has the most fans, the biggest following, the most Super Bowl appearances, the 2nd most Super Bowl championships, the most conference titles,the most division titles, the 2 most recognizable coaches all time, three of the most recognizable QB's of all time, the all time leading rusher in yards and touchdowns, the two most recognizable stadiums ON THE PLANET, and is the most valuable American sports franchise. If you don't think that the Dallas Cowboys are America's Team, ask yourself this. For the final question on who wants to be a millionaire and for a million bucks:

What professional sports franchise is most widely regarded as America's Team?

The clock is ticking...tick tock...tick tock....If you split it with me, I'll be your phone-a-friend, it sounds like you're gonna need it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

America's team? One of the best examples of Svengali advertising around.

Maybe by America'sTeam they mean the team that has the most fans, the biggest following, the most Super Bowl appearances, the 2nd most Super Bowl championships, the most conference titles,the most division titles, the 2 most recognizable coaches all time, three of the most recognizable QB's of all time, the all time leading rusher in yards and touchdowns, the two most recognizable stadiums ON THE PLANET, and is the most valuable American sports franchise. If you don't think that the Dallas Cowboys are America's Team, ask yourself this. For the final question on who wants to be a millionaire and for a million bucks:

The clock is ticking...tick tock...tick tock....If you split it with me, I'll be your phone-a-friend, it sounds like you're gonna need it.

America's team is probably seen as the pats right now. No way is it the cowboys. The current most recognisable stadium is probably the Beijing birds nest. Nobody here knows about cowboys stadium.

And I see this as an outsider surrounded by outsiders, although I'm a massive Steelers fan
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
you almost certainly blew your money.  take last year's defense--one of the worst in NFL history--and remove the 3 best players.  here is the starting defense that DAL hopes to field:

DE: missed all of last season due to knee surgery.  has not participated in preseason.
DT: missed entire preseason due to injury.
DT: missed the majority of last season due to injury.  has occasionally practiced in preseason.
DE: a street free agent who was out of the league when dallas called last season.  currently not practicing due to injury.

SLB: physically talented guy who looked lost last season.
MLB: was out of the NFL last season.  currently injured.
WLB: journeyman

CB:  missed almost all of preseason due to his mother's death.
SS:  UDFA who missed most of the 2012 season due to injury.
FS:  former college RB who has played the position for 2 years.  missed 6 games last year due to injury.
CB:  in 3 preseasons, has never played a preseason game...due to chronic injuries.  has missed 10+ games in 2 seasons due to a variety of injuries.

key reserves:

DT: missed all of last season due to injury.
DE:  rookie 2nd rounder who will miss the 1st 8 games due to injury (IR/return)
MLB:  rookie 4th rounder
CB:  suspended for 4 games due to a positive drug test.

basically, it will take an offensive miracle even to reach the playoffs.  but just like last year, romo will find a way to keep them competitive.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

1-Roger Staubach
2- Troy Aikman
3- Don Meredith Craig Morton  
Please do not say you mean Tony Romo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
America's team? One of the best examples of Svengali advertising around.

1-Roger Staubach
2- Troy Aikman
3- Don Meredith Craig Morton  
Please do not say you mean Tony Romo

I know exactly what Staubach looks like even though he retired before I was born. I can pick Aikman out of a line up even when he and Joe Buck wear those stupid disguises. But Tony Romo is the most recognizable Cowboy ever. Whether it be for his late game gaffes to two of the highest profile athlete-entertainer relationships ever. His face has been on ESPN almost every day since he took the job from Bledsoe.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I know exactly what Staubach looks like even though he retired before I was born. I can pick Aikman out of a line up even when he and Joe Buck wear those stupid disguises. But Tony Romo is the most recognizable Cowboy ever. Whether it be for his late game gaffes to two of the highest profile athlete-entertainer relationships ever. His face has been on ESPN almost every day since he took the job from Bledsoe.
View Quote

If ESPN and social media had been around during the days of Danny White a lot of folks would have been saying, Tony Who?

Led them to playoff and finals victories but never made the Super Bowl after having to play in the shadow of Rodger.

Aikman was propped up with an outstanding cast of talent on both sides of the ball that White and Romo never had.

One other point, if Parcells had stayed on, the adventures of Tony Romo would/might have been very, very different.  The New Jersy Conman kept him on a tight leash. Jerruh and Red Jesus have given him his head and let him run loose.(on the field and off) Coulda/woulda/shoulda......who knows.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Aikman was propped up with an outstanding cast of talent on both sides of the ball that White and Romo never had.

View Quote
Jones doesn't know how to win with a salary cap.  The only thing he did right was hire Jimmy and give him unlimited money.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If ESPN and social media had been around during the days of Danny White a lot of folks would have been saying, Tony Who?

Led them to playoff and finals victories but never made the Super Bowl after having to play in the shadow of Rodger.

One other point, if Parcells had stayed on, the adventures of Tony Romo would/might have been very, very different.  The New Jersy Conman kept him on a tight leash. Jerruh and Red Jesus have given him his head and let him run loose.(on the field and off) Coulda/woulda/shoulda......who knows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I can tell you what I do know. That Tony Romo has the lowest interception percentage of ANY Dallas QB, that before the end of this season he will hold EVERY Dallas passing record and if he can manage to win just 30 more games, he'll be the winningest Dallas QB of all time. Couple that with top 10 numbers in both yards and TD's at the end of his career and Tony might just join Warren Moon as the only 2 undrafted quarterbacks in the hall of fame.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

this is somewhat revisionist--white had the benefit of solid defenses and a HOF RB to lean on.  staubach and aikman also had HOF RBs behind them, and even better defenses.

but i agree that parcells was exactly the coach that romo needed.  the problem was phillips' good ol boy approach.  had we progressed straight from parcells to garrett, i think the team would be in a much, much better place.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:13:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

you almost certainly blew your money.  take last year's defense--one of the worst in NFL history--and remove the 3 best players.  here is the starting defense that DAL hopes to field:

View Quote

DE: missed all of last season due to knee surgery.  has not participated in preseason.

DT: missed the majority of last season due to injury.  has occasionally practiced in preseason.

DE: a street free agent who was out of the league when dallas called last season.  currently not practicing due to injury.

FS:  former college RB who has played the position for 2 years.  missed 6 games last year due to injury.

CB:  in 3 preseasons, has never played a preseason game...due to chronic injuries.  has missed 10+ games in 2 seasons due to a variety of injuries.

key reserves:

basically, it will take an offensive miracle even to reach the playoffs.  but just like last year, romo will find a way to keep them competitive.

That just means all those guys have really fresh legs.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Jones doesn't know how to win with a salary cap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jones doesn't know how to win with a salary cap.

jones has admitted as much. as a GM, he has 4 major problems with cap allocation:

1.  aggressively renewing contracts with emerging stars in hopes of catching them before they hit free agency and can command more money.  IOW, paying for potential, not consistent production.  (miles austin, doug free).

2.  generously rewarding players who have outplayed their previous contracts, instead of being a cold-hearted bargainer (jay ratliff).  it's good-hearted, but bad business.

3.  deficit spending that backloads cap hits and creates dead money (ware recently, but the list is a mile long).

4.  overplaying his hand and gambling on splash deals in FA or trades in hopes of bringing in a star player, when the team is not just one star player away from SB contention.

interestingly, since garrett has established himself, we're seeing less and less of all of these things.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
2.  generously rewarding players who have outplayed their previous contracts, instead of being a cold-hearted bargainer (jay ratliff).  it's good-hearted, but bad business.
View Quote
I don't see why he has that problem.  He's screwed everyone else he's ever done business with.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:03:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Romo may not be THAT bad but he has a knack for throwing INT's in clutch situations. Generating all those great stats doesn't mean dick when that happens.

I'm not a mouthbreather, just a realist.

The biggest problem the Dallas Cowboys have to overcome? Jerry Jones, plain and simple.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They have a chance to be #1.

In the draft next year.

Jerry's chickens have come home to roost. A historically bad defense (for roughly a decade) finally got worse.

And the mouthbreathers will still blame Romo.

Romo may not be THAT bad but he has a knack for throwing INT's in clutch situations. Generating all those great stats doesn't mean dick when that happens.

I'm not a mouthbreather, just a realist.

The biggest problem the Dallas Cowboys have to overcome? Jerry Jones, plain and simple.

With regard to Romo, he's in a no-win situation. With the historically bad defenses he's been saddled with his whole career, no lead is safe. He has to try and make desperate plays and throw into coverage even when the cowboys have a lead because (especially in the second half) you have to believe that any team can score a touchdown on every possession.

No QB in the history of football could succeed in that environment- not Montana, not Elway, not Peyton Manning. I'm not saying Romo belongs with those three, just pointing out how horrible a situation Jerry Jones has created in Dallas. On a decent team with a defense that was even competent, Romo would have been a top 5 QB in the league... as it is, he's put up spectacular numbers... He's better in all aspects of the game than, say, Eli Manning, yet the latter doesn't get nearly as much criticism (and Manning has jewelry)
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

key reserves:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

key reserves:

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Can't understand why Jones doesn't just  fire their defensive coordinator, last year was pathetic. The defense got worse after he fired Ryan. They don't have the personal to run that Tampa Two or whatever the hell they call it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#17]
3 pages and no one's posted this yet?

But try being a Jaguars fan: 6 - 26 the last two years.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
3 pages and no one's posted this yet?

<a href="http://s756.photobucket.com/user/vanvideo/media/arfcom%202/dallassucks_zps5a6ad201.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/vanvideo/arfcom%202/dallassucks_zps5a6ad201.jpg</a>

But try being a Jaguars fan: 6 - 26 the last two years.
View Quote

At least you expect that though. The Lions draw you in, get your hopes up. Then they blow it. They had to win 1 on their last 5 games last season and they couldn't do it. They Playoffs were handed to them on a silver platter, and they fucked it up
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Now  just hold on there, I've heard Michael Sam will be playing wit da boys SOON.

Be taking da physical tonight.  

Landry is barfing chunks in da grave.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Can't understand why Jones doesn't just  fire their defensive coordinator, last year was pathetic.
View Quote

you're aware that kiffin was replaced, right?

and that by midseason, almost all of the front 7 were 3rd stringers cut from other teams, right?

and that, while ryan is a good guy, he had never coordinated a top-10 defense until last season with the saints, right?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Back to Hari Kari.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Sometimes, the jokes write themselves!

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Long time fan and always will be I guess.  

4-12, Romo out around five games in, Garrett gone shortly after Thanksgiving.
Jerry Jones will never hire a football GM as long as he lives because he is still livid that Jimmy Johnson got all the credit for those first two Super Bowls.
View Quote

+1. With predictions like these, you might as well buy a Powerball ticket.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Doesn't look like they will win today.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder what the over/under on rushing yards allowed by the Dallas defense is today...
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Romo
I
II
III
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Did Dallas forget how to football?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I f'ing LOVE to see Dallas whipped like a rented mule!! America's team my ASS!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Like a rented mule... I chuckled.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:31:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Threw the gameplan out the window. Sadly, it was picked off.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Obama's America team!  

Can you say "Ass Whipping"?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't worry, the Cowboys will probably look a lot better next week.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Put a side bet on the 9ers the other day just to hedge.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#41]
The 49ers were entirely beatable today.  Unfortunately it appears Romo decided he wasnt going to allow that (none of those INTs are excusable, they are his alone).  Of course Murray didnt help either.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The 49ers were entirely beatable today.  Unfortunately it appears Romo decided he wasnt going to allow that (none of those INTs are excusable, they are his alone).  Of course Murray didnt help either.
View Quote

Hell they had 26 first downs to 49ers 19.  Rumor is they brought in Michael Sam to help Romo working on his choking problem.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. He certainly looked like someone that missed most of training camp.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the starters were gassed at the end of the game according to the radio guys. Very little pre season work and a practice schedule that is light on contact doesn't help any.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Jerry Jones should go find Michael Sam and ask him to go read the story about Jonah and the Whale. Michael should throw himself off the ship and remove the curse from the Cowboys
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Jerry Jones should go find Michael Sam and ask him to go read the story about Jonah and the Whale. Michael should throw himself off the ship and remove the curse from the Cowboys
View Quote

He will be a starter next week.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Which year?  America's team! Talk about false advertising!
Go Packers...........13 NFL championships and counting!
View Quote

AMEN, buddy!!!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

AMEN, buddy!!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AMEN, buddy!!!  

Bullshit. It's the year of the Lions

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Too bad the only "championship" that matters is the Super Bowl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too bad the only "championship" that matters is the Super Bowl.

Hey snowflake, let me educate you; before '66 there WASN'T a Super Bowl. Back in the day they played iron man football, both O & D with leather helmets in REAL winter weather and they were STILL able to whip the best in the country in the only game that mattered, the NFL Championship 6 freakin' times!! Then there were the four Super Bowls! (their first three titles were decided by league standing at end of season before there was a championship game, 1929-30-31).  
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Well at least Buffalo is in first place!
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top