BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hmm....yeah....I don't think so.  What engine?  A full supercharger setup for $2-3k?  What about fuel system?  $4k for a transmission?  How/why?  How much power are you looking to make?  You can get a 5.3LS slap a turbo on it and make 800rwhp reliably with the right setup.  With a <$500  engine?
Don't take offense to this because none is intended but you might not have a full picture of what you're getting into.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I appreciate all the advice and I definitely understand that you always end up dropping more money in than planned (3k on my ar red dot build).  But with my rifle I built etcc these are things I will keep for the rest of my life, they have sentimental value and it'll mean more to me.  The only labor I'll be paying for is the interior work which will be done by a friend.  If there's one thing I've learned, you can build it better than if you buy it at a better price point.
As it goes now I"d figure

5k for the car
7k for the engine
1.2k exhaust
4k for the tranny
2.5k for the suspension
Supercharger 2-3k
1500 for the interior
Brakes?
Wheels 1600

So brakes included it should be around 25lk.  Then I guess another 5k in body work/replacing parts.

With that being said could ya guys humor me and start pointing me toward some new motors/trannys.

Hmm....yeah....I don't think so.  What engine?  A full supercharger setup for $2-3k?  What about fuel system?  $4k for a transmission?  How/why?  How much power are you looking to make?  You can get a 5.3LS slap a turbo on it and make 800rwhp reliably with the right setup.  With a <$500  engine?
Don't take offense to this because none is intended but you might not have a full picture of what you're getting into.

Don't forget some suspension work. 800 hp to the ground is gonna be hard to keep planted
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What the hell makes a pro touring car 100k?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You need a goal. A pro touring car done really well is 100k, if your lucky. What do you want this Chevelle to do? Hp? Handling? Drag car?

Just look cool and sound right or reengineered from the ground up?

The "done really well" part. That usually means paying and experienced builder and buying top shelf parts. Really nice body and paint can eat 15k.  Same for an engine...just the engine... Shits not cheap.  You can also pick 200k mile Lq4 out of the local yard for $600 and get by.  However, people that build custom cars are type A mofos and that just doesn't allow yard take out motors.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You sound like you don't know what you want, so perhaps go to lots of car shows and drool and talk to people until you figure out what you want.  Many people will gladly take you for a spin.  I always wanted a 914 until I actually rode in one.  

There will be plenty of cars for sale at shows as well, and get lots of good contacts and meet people as well.

Holds beer and points... does it run hot and pull to one side?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You sound like you don't know what you want, so perhaps go to lots of car shows and drool and talk to people until you figure out what you want.  Many people will gladly take you for a spin.  I always wanted a 914 until I actually rode in one.  

There will be plenty of cars for sale at shows as well, and get lots of good contacts and meet people as well.

Quoted:
I'm 27 and I too have a car problem

<a href="http://s957.photobucket.com/user/762RUM/media/8AF8B708-68C6-4725-B0EF-44B6810B6441_zpsdfyaokta.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/762RUM/8AF8B708-68C6-4725-B0EF-44B6810B6441_zpsdfyaokta.jpg</a>

And a jeep problem

<a href="http://s957.photobucket.com/user/762RUM/media/38FD6E20-E420-4ABE-9A23-BBE4C4CC1888_zpsybbvhkba.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/762RUM/38FD6E20-E420-4ABE-9A23-BBE4C4CC1888_zpsybbvhkba.jpg</a>

Holds beer and points... does it run hot and pull to one side?

Yea that damn jeep has a few gremlins

Op if you aren't attached(read obsessed in my case) to a certain look/car just save your pennies and buy one that is as close as you can get to what your after. It's just simpler that way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The "done really well" part. That usually means paying and experienced builder and buying top shelf parts. Really nice body and paint can eat 15k.  Same for an engine...just the engine... Shits not cheap.  You can also pick 200k mile Lq4 out of the local yard for $600 and get by.  However, people that build custom cars are type A mofos and that just doesn't allow yard take out motors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need a goal. A pro touring car done really well is 100k, if your lucky. What do you want this Chevelle to do? Hp? Handling? Drag car?

Just look cool and sound right or reengineered from the ground up?

Makes sense, I was originally going for a pro touring setup; then I woke up.

Now it's more along the lines of the Kuda in this Blog ,the blog is a gear head wormhole by the way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

ohhh...  haven't seen what the new coyote engine can do , huh?   Tsk, Tsk.

New camaro is a chick car.. Every Camaro driver I see is either a girl or a old fat dude.  New mopar are cruisers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a 2011 or 2012 Mustang GT. Slap on a TVS or Centri (replace oil pump gears first) then pump it up to 620+ rear wheel HP. 2011 or 2012 maybe 25K figure 6 to 7 for the SC and a 1k for the oil pump gears installed.
True but in the end it's still a girls car  

New camaro is a chick car.. Every Camaro driver I see is either a girl or a old fat dude.  New mopar are cruisers.
Haha just busting balls....the yote is probably the best thing ford has done since the cleaveland.  It's a good piece...Ford finally got their shit together.  make 15 million copies and let'em run for a decade or so and you'll have.....an LS!  

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes there is, it's called a supercharger or turbocharger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
turbo vs supercharger is a matter of preference but  there is no replacement for displacement :)

Yes there is, it's called a supercharger or turbocharger.

You're supposed to put those on the big block!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Go for it. It will cost you some cash, but you never get over building you first car.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Haha just busting balls....the yote is probably the best thing ford has done since the cleaveland.  It's a good piece...Ford finally got their shit together.  make 15 million copies and let'em run for a decade or so and you'll have.....an LS!    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy a 2011 or 2012 Mustang GT. Slap on a TVS or Centri (replace oil pump gears first) then pump it up to 620+ rear wheel HP. 2011 or 2012 maybe 25K figure 6 to 7 for the SC and a 1k for the oil pump gears installed.

I know. I'm still worried with mine that I will get  a failure in the #8 cylinder that the 2011 and 2012 seem to happen to due to crappy tunes.
Even now, I wish I would have bought a 2011 shelby
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This. These days you are nuts if you are starting a Chevy build from scratch and you aren't planning on running an LS.

Also, aftermarket fuel injection is your friend overpriced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck a big block. Ls1 all day long.

This. These days you are nuts if you are starting a Chevy build from scratch and you aren't planning on running an LS.

Also, aftermarket fuel injection is your friend overpriced.

FIFY  

Mega Squirt is your friend!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I know. I'm still worried with mine that I will get  a failure in the #8 cylinder that the 2011 and 2012 seem to happen to due to crappy tunes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh...they all have "personalities" like the ls7, a 427 that weighs less than 400 lbs, makes over 500 hp n/a and has the unfortunate habit of snacking on valves...either pull the heads, fix the valve job or plop a cam in an ls3 and move it on.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#11]
It adds up fast.  I've got a running and driving 69 Camaro that wasn't doing anything when I got it for $3200. Everything on the car works now, but I'm in over 11k for a car that needs body and paint and lots of parts.  I'll be putting in an American Auto Wire kit and and Ididit coulm, another 1.5 k and the car will still look beat.  On the other hand, nothing gets the looks like an old car and I look orward to everytime I drive it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will soon find out.  We are putting a Coyote 5.0 in a fox body Capri.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I appreciate all the advice and I definitely understand that you always end up dropping more money in than planned (3k on my ar red dot build).  But with my rifle I built etcc these are things I will keep for the rest of my life, they have sentimental value and it'll mean more to me.  The only labor I'll be paying for is the interior work which will be done by a friend.  If there's one thing I've learned, you can build it better than if you buy it at a better price point.

5k for the car
7k for the engine
1.2k exhaust
4k for the tranny
2.5k for the suspension
Supercharger 2-3k
1500 for the interior
Brakes?
Wheels 1600

So brakes included it should be around 25lk.  Then I guess another 5k in body work/replacing parts.

With that being said could ya guys humor me and start pointing me toward some new motors/trannys.

Damn right.  We are in the 9's with an LS 6.0 and were in the low 10's with an LS 5.3 junkyard motor and a turbo.  The 5.3 had 160,000 miles and was 380 shipped to the door.  The 6.0 has some light mods and was rebuilt.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Damn right.  We are in the 9's with an LS 6.0 and were in the low 10's with an LS 5.3 junkyard motor and a turbo.  The 5.3 had 160,000 miles and was 380 shipped to the door.  The 6.0 has some light mods and was rebuilt.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5k for the car

7k for the engine

1.2k exhaust

4k for the tranny

2.5k for the suspension

Supercharger 2-3k

1500 for the interior

Brakes?

Wheels 1600

160k, change the rod bolts...next stop 800hp or 1200. That's why LS motors rock.  Even with the new Lt motors on the loose I think the LS will be around for a long time.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top