Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2014 4:35:02 PM EDT
I've decided to apply for an inside electrician apprenticeship, and probably a low voltage class A apprenticeship as well. Also considering HVAC, carpenter, and plumber. Electrician is my preference, but don't want to put all my eggs in that basket.

Question for guys who've recently finished or are currently in an apprenticeship: How long did it take between the time you applied and the time you were actually working?

Any advice on how to get into a apprenticeship program or comments on the trades I listed above would also be helpful.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on where you are at. In parts of the country where there is a high demand it happens quickly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
What.... every Union contractor wants cheap labor, unload trucks move material, get coffee etc.
some locals have a pre-apprenticeship for this very reason
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It depends on where you are at. In parts of the country where there is a high demand it happens quickly.
View Quote

What's "quickly"? Two weeks? Six months?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I just started the inside wireman apprenticeship with the ibew and the process spanned over 3 months. The interviews are scheduled a month or more out usually. The problem your going to run into is that school is staring this week so they most likely won't be hiring until next year. With that being said I was #2 on the list after my interview and aptitude test so I was called the first day after the initial drug test. All the appretices in my class have been sent out as of yesterday but the last few waited a few months before a call
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I work in the Washington DC area. In the Electricans Local you would start as a pre apprentice within a week or two of applying. Inside work-probably not. I'm not an electrician but have a few friends that are. Elevator or Steamfitters are the higher paid trades. Carpenters are at the low end as far as pay. 6 more years and I'll have my 30 years in.

In before the Union Haters.....
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Carpenter here. No real apprenticeship here for that. Unions aren't strong here either.

I love building, it's in my blood. Got my 4 yr old his own tool belt. That being said, don't be a carpenter. Yes, we're always needed. Yes, you can make money eventually if you bust your ass and know people. You ARE NOT going to make money like HVAC guys or electricians or plumbers.

Good luck to you either way you decide.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
If you get a chance to get an apprenticeship for a non-union shop instead, go with it.  You can always become union later if it pays better.  They pretty much don't turn down any electrician who wants to join and pay dues.

I have seen more than a few guys do a 4 year non-union apprenticeship, take the state test for a license, and then become a union journeyman all the while the union apprenticeship guys are still in their 5th year making 80%.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Back some years ago...

...it took me 6 months to get in to the Inside a Wireman program. The apprenticeship was (is) a 5 year program. I turned out and worked as a Journeyman and Foreman and then moved into an Instructor position in the very program that I went through. Taught the whole 5 year program by myself for six years and did very well. The Training Director could barely tie his fucking shoes but...

.. Let me know if you have any questions about the curriculum.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Come to atlanta, we can't find enough HVAC service techs or especially controls techs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#10]
IUEC

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Carpenter here. No real apprenticeship here for that. Unions aren't strong here either.

I love building, it's in my blood. Got my 4 yr old his own tool belt. That being said, don't be a carpenter. Yes, we're always needed. Yes, you can make money eventually if you bust your ass and know people. You ARE NOT going to make money like HVAC guys or electricians or plumbers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's kind of what I figured with carpentry, thanks for confirming. Having a hard time finding journeyman wages in Oregon, one source says around $35k/yr, another says $28/hr. I'm OK with $28/hr, not sure about $35k/yr.

There are a few carpentry apprenticeships currently open in Oregon, mostly non-union. Carpentry really interests me, but the money makes me hesitate. Also not sure how well my body would hold up into my 50s and 60s. I want to find a trade that I can do until retirement.

Good luck to you either way you decide.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I work in the Washington DC area. In the Electricans Local you would start as a pre apprentice within a week or two of applying. Inside work-probably not. I'm not an electrician but have a few friends that are. Elevator or Steamfitters are the higher paid trades. Carpenters are at the low end as far as pay. 6 more years and I'll have my 30 years in.

In before the Union Haters.....
View Quote

I haven't seen any mention of pre-apprentice work in the apprenticeship notices, I'll have to ask about that.

My uncle is an elevator mechanic, that trade went completely under in the Great Recession. He had 20+ years in and was on the bench for long enough that he ended up getting a job as an elevator mechanic at a university---less pay, but steady work. He doesn't think the trade has really recovered yet in Oregon. But yeah, he got paid really well when the times were good.

He also mentioned steamfitters. Honestly I have no idea what they do
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just started the inside wireman apprenticeship with the ibew and the process spanned over 3 months. The interviews are scheduled a month or more out usually. The problem your going to run into is that school is staring this week so they most likely won't be hiring until next year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I just started the inside wireman apprenticeship with the ibew and the process spanned over 3 months. The interviews are scheduled a month or more out usually. The problem your going to run into is that school is staring this week so they most likely won't be hiring until next year.

Dang it, hadn't thought about that. I kind of figured I wouldn't realistically begin an apprenticeship program until next winter, or maybe spring, but wanted to find out how long the application process usually takes. 3 months is kind of what I figured, maybe even on the low end.

With that being said I was #2 on the list after my interview and aptitude test so I was called the first day after the initial drug test. All the appretices in my class have been sent out as of yesterday but the last few waited a few months before a call

What do you think made you #2? Test scores? Construction experience?

I've been doing horticultural work the last 7+ years, mix of vegetable farming and tree work. I'm used to doing hard physical work in all conditions, but don't have any formal construction experience aside from building greenhouses, sheds, fences, etc. Not sure if that will count against me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#14]
My advice to you is this... If you want a trade go into controls and automation. In some places it's known as industrial instrumentation. It's the highest paid trade on the job site.

It's not something you can do without any schooling though. Find somewhere that offers classes and take them.

The pool of skilled applicants is dry. Places will pay an arm and a leg for good people. Going pay is between 80 and 100k.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top