BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing from Harbor Freight is worth it.
View Quote

Do they sell some junk?  Sure.

But I have many purchases from them that have been well worth the money, such as: angle grinder, floor jack, impact sockets, impact gun, air hose reel, and the thing I am most impressed with it the chainsaw chain sharpener.  That thing keeps going and going and get my chains sharper than new in less than 5 minutes.  It is also a good place to pick up things like tarps.

Don't be so close-minded.  Would I buy a cordless drill or something from there??   Hell no, but they have some good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

View Quote

Horseshit...that place is full of very useful, decent stuff especially for the $$. Some of it isn't as good as items costing 10x as much, but no fucking shit.

I use stuff from there all the time and most of it has been great.

Snob.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
That's not a bad price for a tiny system like that... but if all you needed was a single panel system (like for charging batteries and phones), I would think you could do it better/cheaper as a DIY thing.   Buy one of those 80 cents per watt panels and build a small charge controller from scratch.   Surely there's open source circuit diagrams to build a small charge controller like you'd need.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

ETA:  Maybe you aren't just a regular guy like me who uses occasional tools, but for my needs, I have never gone wrong with HF.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ya know... I dont tumble because I have small kids in the house and lead vapor scares me, but I will say my Lyman US cleaner looks an awful lot like the HF US cleaner. I think the heater wattage on my Lyman may be more [vs. HF] but I could be wrong. If I had to do it again, I might pickup the HF. But I did pickup the like-new Lyman on the EE cheaper than the new HF so I went that route by happenstance only.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got my money's worth out of the Harbor Freight 18 lb Vibrator/Tumbler.  I use it it to clean brass for reloading.  I have cleaned thousands and thousands of rounds with it over the last few years and it is still going strong.  I recently cleaned 8K rds with it.  

It has lasted longer than other vibrator/tumblers I have bought.

Ya know... I dont tumble because I have small kids in the house and lead vapor scares me, but I will say my Lyman US cleaner looks an awful lot like the HF US cleaner. I think the heater wattage on my Lyman may be more [vs. HF] but I could be wrong. If I had to do it again, I might pickup the HF. But I did pickup the like-new Lyman on the EE cheaper than the new HF so I went that route by happenstance only.

Oh lord, you're one of those people.  That explains alot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You'd only probably get the full 45 watts for, let's say, eight hours a day, 275 days a year.  That's about 100kW/year.  At $0.11/kW, you'd begin to save money in about 13 years.

It might save you a few hundred in your lifetime.
View Quote

OK, but what's running buried hi-voltage line 1200' to power a small electric device cost?  Maybe a fence, or a camera?

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got my money's worth out of the Harbor Freight 18 lb Vibrator/Tumbler.  I use it it to clean brass for reloading.  I have cleaned thousands and thousands of rounds with it over the last few years and it is still going strong.  I recently cleaned 8K rds with it.  

I don't know about "lead vapor" but dry tumbling can be a significant breathing hazard.  

Trust me, I've tumbled more brass than everyone in this thread put together.  I strictly do wet tumbling now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been watching the HF threads ,. I need a new jack soon . mine blew a seal and it is old so I am considered a HF jack
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dafuq?

If youve got some info to give teener, go ahead and post it. Especially when it involves you calling me out looking out for my kids health at the cost of 'ooh shiny!, vs. yeah it functions fine'.

Better yet, go to the armory tab. And Click the 'reloading' section. Dryflash and AeroE run a tight ship over there and if you have solid info to provide it'll be greatly appreciated. Send me a PM of the link.

Learn me somethin teener I dare you..

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Dafuq?

If youve got some info to give teener, go ahead and post it. Especially when it involves you calling me out looking out for my kids health at the cost of 'ooh shiny!, vs. yeah it functions fine'.
Better yet, go to the armory tab. And Click the 'reloading' section. Dryflash and AeroE run a tight ship over there and if you have solid info to provide it'll be greatly appreciated. Send me a PM of the link.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dafuq?

Do your kids sit right next to your reloading bench and constantly breath in the whole time?  I would think your reloading area isn't in your kids bedroom but you're the typr to be all overly protective I guess.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Do your kids sit right next to your reloading bench and constantly breath in the whole time?  I would think your reloading area isn't in your kids bedroom but you're the typr to be all overly protective I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dafuq?

Guess I am. Thanks for the unsolicited free parental advice. Anything else please PM me.

*click*

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#13]
These panels do work, but the charge controller is garbage, and the value per dollar really isn't that good. They type of panels that these are are really low in efficiency and about a decade out of date. $150 will get you a 100 watt panel and a good 12V charge controller.

I had a friend get two of these kits and hook them up at his rural place to help offset running his generator on weekends when he would go up to refill his batteries. They worked well for that purpose, but he used a different charge controller and the solar market has changed a LOT in the last 5 years or so. People can't equity strip their homes for solar installations and prices are in a free-fall. I paid $.75/watt for Sharp 235w panels when they were selling for $2.25 a watt before the crash.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Linky

More for your money, for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Solar Panel Bundle 100W Monocrystalline: 100W Solar Panel + 30A Charge Controller + MC4 Solar Adaptor Cable
by Renogy
170 customer reviews
| 68 answered questions
Price: $164.99 PRIME

better deal.

Linky

More for your money, for sure.

Thx. Ordered.

Txl
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Go check out solarblvd.com better panels they have 40 watters right now for $58. I have 8 of theses panels on my tailer and they work great after 4 years i have seen no lose of efficency. The harbor freight ones will start to drop of after about 2 years.

These are cheaper and better panels. They also have some pretty cheap but quality controllers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You'd only probably get the full 45 watts for, let's say, eight hours a day, 275 days a year.  That's about 100kW/year.  At $0.11/kW, you'd begin to save money in about 13 years.

It might save you a few hundred in your lifetime.
View Quote

Or, if you need power in a remote location, say your mountaintop cabin, and it's going to cost $50,000 to run ugly power lines, then solar pays for itself instantly

It's not all free lunch, as the panels degrade and generate less power over time, batteries need to be replaced periodically, and the panels should be cleaned once in a while.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not true, they do have a lot of shit tools but some have proven to be better that tool truck tools at a faction of the cost,
The air saw and 5 inch air grinder I have used daily out lasted  and out preformed the Snap=On and Mac tools they replaced.
no joke, HF air grinder I have used for over 10 years, Snap-On only lasted a few and never had the power the HF had from the gate.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Johnson bar--$18 and is strong enough for my 195# carcass to bounce on without bending/breaking.  They too are $60 at farm supply stores.  It's hard to screw up a thick steel rod, even in India.

That's all I can think of right off, but I have a LOT of their (highly regarded in reviews) stuff, in addition to my name brand stuff (mostly from pawn shops), and I get by.  Without having a fortune tied up in my tools.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

Hope this helps to clarify

Johnson bar--$18 and is strong enough for my 195# carcass to bounce on without bending/breaking.  They too are $60 at farm supply stores.  It's hard to screw up a thick steel rod, even in India.

That's all I can think of right off, but I have a LOT of their (highly regarded in reviews) stuff, in addition to my name brand stuff (mostly from pawn shops), and I get by.  Without having a fortune tied up in my tools.  

You sure you got the Johnson Bar there?  I can't find it on their site and I want one of those things.  I tried to buy the one from a rental company after borrowing it for the weekend but they wouldn't sell.  That thing is handy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had very good experiences with most of the HB stuff.

Problems I have had.
- Adjustable Pittsburg wrench doesn't adjust easily at all, gets stuck and has to be wacked with another wrench to get it off.  An old Craftsman worked well in its place.
- Multimeter - they are only a few bucks, but die pretty easily.  I have a load of them around though since they are so cheap.  
- Small screwdriver sets (like for glasses and really small screws) - these work OK if the screw is kinda lose already, but I've had several sets where the screwdriver itself will deform - better than stripping the screw i guess.  Got lots of these since they are cheap but need to buy a nice jewellers set.

Bought a roofing nail air gun when redoing a roof, worked great and saved alot of hammering.  In fact I think we have 2 of them now.  

Overall, their stuff is good for the price you pay.  Check out the generator thread going around, they seem to have worked well also.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top