Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2014 7:51:23 AM EDT
I don't see the doctor often, something has to be really wrong for me to go.

A couple weeks ago I had some serious pain in my foot and finally went in. A simple appointment turned into almost a four hour ordeal of waiting in a crowded office. He then sent me out for xrays of my foot. Tack on another two and a half hour wait for that process.

This was two Wednesdays ago. I knew it would take a few days for him to get results from the xrays, so I waited until Monday to hear fro him. No contact, but I was pretty busy so I forgot about it. On Wed I called the docs office for results. Put on eternal hold, hung up and called back, put on hold again, but this time I waited. Fourteen minutes later someone picked up the line and asked if I had been helped yet, I said no and that I need results from my xrays. After I was put on hold again I was told the doc would call me.

Thursday, still no contact from doc, so I call and repeat the process.

Friday, still no call so I call back at about 11 am and throw a bitch fit. Finally got his nurse to read the results of the report to me. No broken bone, but apparent Plantar Fascitis and a bone spur, whatever the hell that is. Nurse says the doc requested a podiatrist referral. Nurse said they were very busy but could give me the number so I could follow up with the referral request. She gave me the wrong fucking number.

I called my insurance company today to ask for a list of new doctors so I can change my primary provider. The lady at my insurance company said this is a big problem right now.

Apparently since Obamacare came about, lots of people who otherwise didn't have insurance are now flooding healthcare facilities to the point of backlogging all of the processes. Apparently Medi-Cal has also recently changed some qualifying standards which also throws more people into the mix. Wait times, xrays, referrals, pretty much everything is breaking under the strain of all the new people using the services.

Welcome to the new normal, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:01:37 AM EDT
[#1]
But..but you are keeping your Dr.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I see what you did there... well played.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Not to mention many have stopped taking ins. so you pay cash then file yourself. My long-time dentist just did this. Kind of sucks when you have an emergency and they tell you of the new policy when you are waiting in pain to get treatment.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#5]
What bugs me is that those of us that still have decent insurance are lumped-in with the ones with a Obama Care plan.

I'd rather all doctors took the cash only approach, it might keep the office a little less crowded if payment was required up-front.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't worry, the government is doing it for your own good...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#7]
My Dr went to a concierge service only. $160 a month per person I am now seeing a physicians assistance. Not sure if there are more people using healthcare or  just less Dr's willing to accept Obamacare's reduced rates.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I didn't get to keep mine. He quit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So did mine.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not to mention many have stopped taking ins. so you pay cash then file yourself. My long-time dentist just did this. Kind of sucks when you have an emergency and they tell you of the new policy when you are waiting in pain to get treatment.
View Quote

I had my annual Electrophysiologist (cardiology electrician) appointment and heart echosound appointments last month.  I called the docs billingr office a few days before my appt and asked how much I would be charged for the appt and the test.  Her 1st response was that I need to call my insurance company because they determine what they are going to pay.

I said, I have no expectation they will pay anything since this will fall under my HUGE deductible, so I need to know how much it is going to cost ME.  She says $345 and $155.  I asked if that is the cash price and she said they would knock approx 30% off for cash.  Thanks.

I then called BCBS, and they agreed that these appointments would have to be paid under my deductible.  Ok, cash it is.

Went to my appts.  Check-in girl asks for ins. card.  I say hold on, I probably want to pay cash and not have them file with my insurance, since it will be cheaper...she says it'll be the same cost either way.  Ok, here's my card.

Then I get the bill for the full amount, minus $36 that BCBS decided they would pay for some reason.  Called the doctor's office and asked how I could take advantage of the cash discount.   Blah, blah, blah...3rd supervisor later...
 1) they never should have told me about the cash discount, there will be training with staff as to what they can disclose;
 2) the deal they have with BCBS supposedly results in lower initial billing than if I went in with no insurance (and paid cash for the discount); and the kicker...
 3) I say, "hey, I just want to get the best deal, and if that means I pay cash and file w/ BCBS myself so be it"  and her response "Well, if we know you have insurance, we HAVE TO file with BCBS, in  case something happens later that could relate back to this appt/test."

Any ideas...?

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My doc may still be on my plan, but I'm still jumping ship. His service sucks. Actually, his service is non existent as far as I'm concerned. I've seen him before for exams and xrays, but I've never had such long waits, never seen the waiting room so full either. Did I mention that out of fifteen or so people waiting, maybe only five of us could speak english?

I understand daycare can be expensive, but if you know ahead of time that you have an appointment, why drag a pack of noisy, uncontrollable rats along to pester other people? And for pete's  sake, if your ten year old kid is taking a seat, get his ass up when an adult or elderly person walks in. Fucking animals.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank god i have REAL insurance...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thank god i have REAL insurance...
View Quote

I've had the same insurance for over ten years, never had a problem until now.

About the only "real" insurance anymore is cash.

Good luck with that, I had appendicitis last October, hospital stay and surgery was over $30k as I recall. I'll stick with insurance.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine also...after 27 years...I miss you Dr Jennings.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
lol

california

lol
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had my annual Electrophysiologist (cardiology electrician) appointment and heart echosound appointments last month.  I called the docs billingr office a few days before my appt and asked how much I would be charged for the appt and the test.  Her 1st response was that I need to call my insurance company because they determine what they are going to pay.

I said, I have no expectation they will pay anything since this will fall under my HUGE deductible, so I need to know how much it is going to cost ME.  She says $345 and $155.  I asked if that is the cash price and she said they would knock approx 30% off for cash.  Thanks.

I then called BCBS, and they agreed that these appointments would have to be paid under my deductible.  Ok, cash it is.

Went to my appts.  Check-in girl asks for ins. card.  I say hold on, I probably want to pay cash and not have them file with my insurance, since it will be cheaper...she says it'll be the same cost either way.  Ok, here's my card.

Then I get the bill for the full amount, minus $36 that BCBS decided they would pay for some reason.  Called the doctor's office and asked how I could take advantage of the cash discount.   Blah, blah, blah...3rd supervisor later...
 1) they never should have told me about the cash discount, there will be training with staff as to what they can disclose;
 2) the deal they have with BCBS supposedly results in lower initial billing than if I went in with no insurance (and paid cash for the discount); and the kicker...
 3) I say, "hey, I just want to get the best deal, and if that means I pay cash and file w/ BCBS myself so be it"  and her response "Well, if we know you have insurance, we HAVE TO file with BCBS, in  case something happens later that could relate back to this appt/test."

Any ideas...?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas...?

Dude, just like before, when you give them insurance they bill insurance who then gives you an EOB (explanation of benefits, what was covered, paid, and unpaid) then they send you a bill if there's a balance.

Of course you pay cash and say you don't have insurance and then send that bill in to get reimbursement and credit towards deductible for the year.

You got played and are stuck.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

lol

california

lol
View Quote
Lol another one too embarrassed of his state to put it in his profile.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]
You assume that the office hasn't cut staff and increased the workload on its staff.

You blame it on increased demand

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Eight years...great policy...no...awesome policy....$347 a month, $1250 per person deductible...for me and the wife...cancelled as of January 2014....only alternative in Virginia was from the exchange...me and the wife...$839 a month...$12500 family deductible...between premiums and deductible we are put nearly $23k before insurance pays a dime...fuck obamacare...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been waiting 3 muther fucking weeks for a prescription refill.  THREE!!!  I am out of medicine.  I can no longer talk to my doctor on the phone, I have to leave a message for the nurse.  Who returns calls at the end of the day.  You CAN NOT talk to a live person unless she calls and you answer.  5 calls in the past 2 weeks has yielded me nothing.

Fuck that tongue tied swivel neck cocksucking bug eyed fork tongue wookie loving lying half breed kenyan son of a bitch!!! FBHO  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have been waiting 3 muther fucking weeks for a prescription refill.  THREE!!!  I am out of medicine.  I can no longer talk to my doctor on the phone, I have to leave a message for the nurse.  Who returns calls at the end of the day.  You CAN NOT talk to a live person unless she calls and you answer.  5 calls in the past 2 weeks has yielded me nothing.

Fuck that tongue tied swivel neck cocksucking bug eyed fork tongue wookie loving lying half breed kenyan son of a bitch!!! FBHO  
View Quote

Awwww..tell us how you really feel...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Not going to mention your insurance provider? I buy Ins. out of pocket for my daughter and myself. It's cheeper now, and the same shit. I'm a trust baby, and she's a will be trust baby. I don't understand. Dollar wise this worked out.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Makes me that much happier that I have Tricare through the military. Never had any issues with it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Some of you guys just seem to have shitty doctors.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Aren't we glad that they voted it (Osama Care) in so they could read it to see what was in it. The whole thing smells like shit!!!!! Personally I don't like shit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

california

lol

Same amount of doctors. LA has 20 million people for that region alone. Open up care to a bunch of that 20mil that were never qualified before. Supply and demand would dictate this would happen. So yes, California, being a major population center of the United States, would feel the impact more.

I have not noticed it where I am at. The demographics are such, that most folk in my area already had insurance and those that OC now covers live far away from me. So no new flux... the bus lines and trains don't reach out here!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Don't worry, the government is doing it for your own good...
View Quote

Progressive equality is a funny thing.

There aren't enough resources to make everyone equally wealthy...but it's easy to make everyone equally poor.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#27]
This is why I pay for concierge medical services.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Any ideas...?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas...?

If your Dr. is in network with your insurance company, they are obligated under contract to go through the insurance, you might be upset and feel swindled, but docs aren't making much off your tests they barely break even after you take into consideration overhead etc..and thats if bcbs pays them, sometimes they will look for any bullshit excuse to not pay
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Any ideas...?

View Quote
A contract with the insurance company means they have no say. A separate cash deal with you would violate the contract.

Also, more precise definitions are needed. In a doctors office:

Cash  = You have no insurance.

When you say you want to pay cash it means you don't have insurance and no insurance company will be billed.

I think that's what the confusion was about.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I can't wait till the Republicans get voted in and finally fix this mess
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:12:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can't wait till the Republicans get voted in and finally fix this mess
View Quote

Don't fall in love with any politicians.
You'll always end up disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#32]
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:32:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Haven't noticed any major changes with my BCBS-Tx policy except a $10 increase in copays. My GP decided to stop seeing patients with medicaid before Obummer care ever kicked in.  Haven't talked to him about this new stuff yet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Haven't had any medical care issues - yet. But it sure has been fucking shit up at work, the company has been cutting hours like mad on the part timers. Some of them are only working two days a week now, when they had previously been working 4 days. Gotta keep those hour averages down...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't comply with zebra-care nor deal with the rip off doctors here, I go to Mexico if needed.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Not sure I can blame obama but my health care has climbed up to 400 a month for a 5 k deductible used to pay less than a $100 for a 250 deductible
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#37]
That sucks. And I share your sentiment about the bs healthcare law. My deductible is now $10,000.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Plantar fasciitis? Google it. There are some good exercises that can minimize/alleviate the pain.

I'm a runner and get it occasionally.

I'm also a physician. I do x-rays in urgent care all day long. I'd have a plantar fasciitis case in and out in one hour, including showing you the x-rays. I have a radiologist overread all the pictures, but I don't need a rad to tell me about plantar fasciitis.

Stretches, NSAIDs, perhaps some new insoles or heel cups.

Some of you guys need new doctors. Unfortunately, we're all getting overrun with the newly insured Obamacare enrollees. That's not to say they're all bad. Many (as noted on ARFCOM) were punted off their old insurance and force into OC.

I hope your foot feels better soon.

I'd probably even give an ARF-discount if you came in wearing a BFL.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Some of you guys just seem to have shitty doctors. experience with the clusterfuck of central "planning."
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:59:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Dude, just like before, when you give them insurance they bill insurance who then gives you an EOB (explanation of benefits, what was covered, paid, and unpaid) then they send you a bill if there's a balance.

Of course you pay cash and say you don't have insurance and then send that bill in to get reimbursement and credit towards deductible for the year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas...?

Dude, thanks for the worldly wisdom.  Someday I'll be as experienced at medical billing as you.  In the meantime, I thought I would share my experience in this rant thread.

They already knew that I had insurance. They are my doctor, who I was able to keep (coincidence).  The problem is that it isn't even an option for me to make a choice to pay them up front and then decide how I want to deal with my insurance.

The confusion (on my part) was, as stated above, I didn't understand that "want to pay cash" doesn't mean that I show up with money, but rather means to them that I am claiming to not have insurance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:06:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:Dude, thanks for the worldly wisdom.  Someday I'll be as experienced at medical billing as you.  In the meantime, I thought I would share my experience in this rant thread.

They already knew that I had insurance. They are my doctor, who I was able to keep (coincidence).  The problem is that it isn't even an option for me to make a choice to pay them up front and then decide how I want to deal with my insurance.

The confusion (on my part) was, as stated above, I didn't understand that "want to pay cash" doesn't mean that I show up with money, but rather means to them that I am claiming to not have insurance.
View Quote

No need to get upset, was just spelling it out and that it is NOT due to OC as it's been around.

What I was trying to say is this "Hi nurse, no my insurance isn't the same, I'm uninsured now. So I need to pay cash." They aren't going to bill insurance if you tell them it's no good. Like I said and others said, if they know you have insurance they have to bill them. The reason for that is you are not billed until AFTER the insurance settles what they will pay to the doctors (if anything.)

By the way, you can STILL go to the medical billing department of your doctor and say "finances are tight. If you can reduce the amount owed and put me on a montly payment plan, there's a much greater likelihood of paying it back." They will almost ALWAYS work with you on discount and a plan.

If you got the money pay it all off in a month or two.

There, is that more to your liking? You're not screwed, just be nice, courteous, and see what you can do. Yes prices can be knocked down still but they cannot do it until after they billed insurance. Sounds like you got your EOB and the doctors are now billing you so now is the time to go in. They want to get paid and that likelihood increases a hundred fold if they work with you to recover some portions.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Plantar fasciitis? Google it. There are some good exercises that can minimize/alleviate the pain.

I'm also a physician. I do x-rays in urgent care all day long. I'd have a plantar fasciitis case in and out in one hour, including showing you the x-rays. I have a radiologist overread all the pictures, but I don't need a rad to tell me about plantar fasciitis.

Stretches, NSAIDs, perhaps some new insoles.................. Snip....

View Quote

I'm a Podiatrist...about 90%+ of the time I don't do X-rays for a patient coming in with plantar fasciitis (and we have an X ray machine in house).

Stretches and GOOD (not those POS things from Wal-Mart..and for fuck's sake, don't spend the $50 to use the 'machine' that tells you what to get) orthotics (firm arch supports) will get most people better...a few need steroid shots, night splints, therapy....very, very few need surgery.    

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I'm a Podiatrist...about 90%+ of the time I don't do X-rays for a patient coming in with plantar fasciitis (and we have an X ray machine in house).

Stretches and GOOD (not those POS things from Wal-Mart..and for fuck's sake, don't spend the $50 to use the 'machine' that tells you what to get) orthotics (firm arch supports) will get most people better...a few need steroid shots, night splints, therapy....very, very few need surgery.    

AFARR
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AFARR

I think I have it in the heel of the left foot.  Online recommends stretching and arch support, which I need to work on

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

They aren't going to bill insurance if you tell them it's no good.

View Quote

Actually, they might.

It might even be the policy of the billing office to bill and wait for a rejection before they bill you.

Some billing services also do checks on all patients. Even if you lie about having not having insurance they will find and bill it.

Then there are ins co audits where they share info with each other. If you were using the secondary ins because it had a lower deductible, the secondary will pull the payments from the doctor you were seeing. Your doctor will be told to rebill everything from the last year to the primary. It can take more than a day for a billing office to unravel a mess like this and rebill. Then weeks or months later when the primary finally pays in full, or reduced, or even with penalties or not at all, they might be allowed to re-bill the secondary and wait for them to respond. Then finally your portion of the bill can be determined. You will not be a popular customer by then.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#45]
My doc went concierge service only @ $1800/year
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Stretches, NSAIDs, perhaps some new insoles or heel cups.

Some of you guys need new doctors. Unfortunately, we're all getting overrun with the newly insured Obamacare enrollees. That's not to say they're all bad. Many (as noted on ARFCOM) were punted off their old insurance and force into OC.

I hope your foot feels better soon.

I'd probably even give an ARF-discount if you came in wearing a BFL.

View Quote

Thanks for the info.

I still haven't heard from my doctor, but I finally got the correct number for the "department" at my doc's office which handles referrals. Called them yesterday and left all my info on their voicemail, still haven't heard back. No surprise. My original appointment was Wed. 8/13.

The day I saw the doctor he diagnosed me as having Plantar Fascitis and suggested I stretch daily, roll the arch of my foot on a frozen water bottle, and he prescribed me Diclofenac for pain/swelling.

Foot still hurts, but it seems to have improved somewhat. Odd thing is that the outside edge of my foot is constantly numb and it always feels like I'm standing on a golf ball under the arch of my foot.

I'll attempt to get my referral for the podiatrist tomorrow. Again.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A couple weeks ago I had some serious pain in my foot and finally went in. A simple appointment turned into almost a four hour ordeal of waiting in a crowded office. He then sent me out for xrays of my foot. Tack on another two and a half hour wait for that process.
View Quote

I went to my local Urgent Care place for foot Xrays two weeks ago. In and out in 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
AFARR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AFARR
That's certainly reasonable. PF has a pretty classic presentation and I'm often comfortable diagnosing it without x-rays. I sometimes like them to see how big the bone spurs are, and to check the achilles insertion for spurs. I also had an 18 year old kid with PF symptoms, and I x-rayed him. Turns out he had a huge bone cyst involving most of the calcaneus. There was barely any cortex. One hard landing and it would snap. He got a bone graft and did fine.

I like old x-rays for comparison with new x-rays. Finally, I occasionally get them if the patient is insistent and it's going to take longer to explain why they don't need the x-rays. So, I just get them.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Well yeah OP. This is what we all wanted.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey, I had foot pain in June too. Called the foot doc on Tuesday saw him on Thursday. He took the X-ray in the office. Turns out I to had planter fasciitis.  The doc gave me the steroid injection, wrapped the feet and sent me on my way. Out of pocket was $25.

I am glad that Texas didn't fall for the Obama exchange bull shit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top