Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 8:01:20 PM EDT

LINK~~  http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2014/08/islamic-states-own-photos-were-just-used-find-one-its-training-camps/92267/

This is the first paragraph..

A group of crowd-funded citizen journalists seem to have located a training camp for the militant group ISIL using only online mapping services and some old-fashioned detective work. Bellingcat, which raised almost £51,000 ($85,000) to do its own unique form of journalism, was founded by Eliot Higgins, who became famous (and was profiled by the New Yorker) for proving Syria was using chemical weapons from his bedroom in Leicester, England using only images and videos available online. His team includes a mix of bloggers, research analysts, and traditional reporters.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting, very interesting.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Good.

Time to fuel up the AC-130...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The internet.

Outing stupid people since 1998
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Close down the NSA and outsource US Intel to these blokes.

The NSA would have spend 100x the amount of money to perform the same task and they'd have to be diverted from their current task of spying on Americans.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Another great OPSEC lesson for all of you Facebook/Instagram/Twitter users out there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Both the place the arrows point to in the article are less than 1/4 mile from the 2 F.O.B.s I was on in Mosul
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I bet if they didn't publish their methodology, they would have more success in the future.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]

With some luck, they might be able to find James Foley's killer..    I heard that the guy was a British subject/ aspiring rapper whose daddy was with AQ..  

I also went to the Bellingcat website and looked at what they did LINK~~  https://bellingcat.com/resources/case-studies/2014/08/22/gun-safety-self-defense-and-road-marches-finding-an-isis-training-camp/

Maybe it can be used in the Ukraine fighting, since I do recall the Russians can't turn off their social media sites as well..

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

With some luck, they might be able to find James Foley's killer..    I heard that the guy was a British subject/ aspiring rapper whose daddy was with AQ..  

I also went to the Bellingcat website and looked at what they did LINK~~  https://bellingcat.com/resources/case-studies/2014/08/22/gun-safety-self-defense-and-road-marches-finding-an-isis-training-camp/

Maybe it can be used in the Ukraine fighting, since I do recall the Russians can't turn off their social media sites as well..

View Quote

the part in yellow on the last pic was the first F.O.B. I was on when I went to Iraq in '04
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Good. And it's the Brits who are spear heading the group to get them? Good. Go get them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#11]
4chan does this fairly often.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have an article below the one you linked that talks about finding a secret Russian training camp for the separatists. Pretty amazing what they can do and how some simple propaganda images can lead to your demise.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
These guys could make millions neckbearding .22 if they applied their skills properly.  What a loss
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good.

View Quote

Pfffft. Drop a Trident on it, that ought to get the point across.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Didn't read the thing yet.

Most phones have cameras that put GPS and cell location in the exif data.

I hope these fucks aren't smart enough to turn it off.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice work. Tag for future reference.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Close down the NSA and outsource US Intel to these blokes.

The NSA would have spend 100x the amount of money to perform the same task and they'd have to be diverted from their current task of spying on Americans.
View Quote

And then they would lose all the hard drives before printing out hard copies of the data...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:44:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good.

View Quote

This x 1000
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:49:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I never thought I'd say this.....

....twitter is good for something.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:50:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do any of his other videos include his music?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:51:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good.

View Quote

Absolutely. Spectre time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top