User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never even heard of this being a thing.
View Quote

Me either
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Old habit that hasn't died.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:43:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Some weeks I hardly even turn the truck off!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
One of my friends puts his automatic car in neutral at every stop sign or light, he says it reduces wear on the engine and transmission...

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I just remembered, his wife turns the radio off in her car before she turns off the engine.
Guess she's never left it on to find out that everything turns off when the car cranks. They're both early-30s, not old blue-hairs.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just remembered, his wife turns the radio off in her car before she turns off the engine.
Guess she's never left it on to find out that everything turns off when the car cranks. They're both early-30s, not old blue-hairs.

Kharn
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of my friends puts his automatic car in neutral at every stop sign or light, he says it reduces wear on the engine and transmission...

Kharn

Kharn

I won't embarrass her by giving any further ID info.....but a certain family member turned off her radio to get home.....she was afraid she would run out of gas faster with it on.....of course she is also the one who spent 30 minutes at the grocery looking for 2 cups of scalded milk.......
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Some vehicles have electric A/C compressor (GM Tahoe / Yukon) that is not driven by a belt and has no effect on engine.  Fuel effeciency is gained from no drag on engine, first introduced in Tahoe Hybrid.  Very few vehicles have belt or engine drive fans, electric is the future.  I think we will see 42 volt + vehicles in our lifetime, mainly just to charge our dumb ass kids i-phones and such (really it will be to drive electric a/c, p/s, fans, and so on).

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
AC compressor is clutched and starts/stops on its own.  I turn off the AC a mile or so before I park to dry out the evaporator and prevent mold stink.
View Quote

Ding ding ding.  Samesies
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, some of the older cars that had a push button to activate the A/C separate from the other controls were the best.

Defog with a little heat and A/C on is really helpful during cool rainy or humid conditions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think it matters at all really, in fact often I leave it on so remote start cools or heats it up for me.

However I argue with friend over the use of the A/C in the winter. He cant get over the fact that A/C doesn't mean  "cool",  it means air condition !   As in it "conditions the air" by removing the humidity. In the winter if there's a lot of moisture in the air in the car, or a bunch of people talking, then the moisture condenses on the windows and the A/C clears it up much faster and takes out of the car.   smh   tired of debating that one

Oh yeah, some of the older cars that had a push button to activate the A/C separate from the other controls were the best.

Defog with a little heat and A/C on is really helpful during cool rainy or humid conditions.

Most cars from at least the early 2000s automatically run the A/C when set to defog.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Irrelevant.

I turn my A/C off when I park (before or after engine stops) and I wait a while to turn it on after startup only because my car gets annoyed when cold started with the A/C on.  It drags the motor enough t give it an unstable cold idle.  After that it is fine.  It is a annoyance only present on my specific car.  I also find every excuse I can to not use the A/C on my car because it drags a 1.8L motor pretty hard and I need all of the 110rwhp I can get.  I usually only use the A/C if it is FUCKING HOT or when cruising.  During accel, I turn it off.

And my other car doesn't even have A/C, so there is that...

99.9% of cars aren't going to give a shit.
View Quote

Or you could buy a real car with a real motor with, you know, pistons.

You'll never have to worry about A/C lugging your motor again!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I don't think it matters at all really, in fact often I leave it on so remote start cools or heats it up for me.

However I argue with friend over the use of the A/C in the winter. He cant get over the fact that A/C doesn't mean  "cool",  it means air condition !   As in it "conditions the air" by removing the humidity. In the winter if there's a lot of moisture in the air in the car, or a bunch of people talking, then the moisture condenses on the windows and the A/C clears it up much faster and takes it out of the car.   smh   tired of debating that one
View Quote
When you turn the defroster on, the compressor kicks on anyways, regardless of what temperature its on.  At least in my 98 Cherokee it does.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I change out the whole engine and attached accessories every 3,000 miles, just to be sure.  I save a lot on oil changes that way.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Live in Florida. We have a 2003 Ford Expedition with almost 200,000 miles on it. The AC is always on. We set the thermostat to a temp, sometimes separate temps for Driver and passenger. It doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I shut the entire car down and coast home.
View Quote

I call a tow truck and have it towed home. Less wear and tear.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Why would you turn off the A/C in a vehicle in the South during the summer?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Every three months, whether I need it or not.    

Almost time to change to autumn air.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shut off the ac first then turn off the car. I then discharge the freon and add fresh freon whenever i need to turn it on again.

Do you change the air in the tires on a regular basis?
Every three months, whether I need it or not.    

Almost time to change to autumn air.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Have not had that issue on anything made in the past 20 years.
View Quote

Depends on the car.  I've driven three different C5 Corvettes that you had to run the fan w/o the AC on before stopping, or it would smell terrible.  My 2007 Toyota is the same way, but I only drive it about half a dozen times a year.  If I forget to run the heat for a while before shutting off the engine after running the AC, it smells bad.z
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have a nissan versa too! I do the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Irrelevant.

I turn my A/C off when I park (before or after engine stops) and I wait a while to turn it on after startup only because my car gets annoyed when cold started with the A/C on.  It drags the motor enough t give it an unstable cold idle.  After that it is fine.  It is a annoyance only present on my specific car.  I also find every excuse I can to not use the A/C on my car because it drags a 1.8L motor pretty hard and I need all of the 110rwhp I can get.  I usually only use the A/C if it is FUCKING HOT or when cruising.  During accel, I turn it off.

I have a nissan versa too! I do the same.

Miata, I wouldn't be caught dead driving a Versa....

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:43:25 PM EDT
[#18]
No.  That would would be stupid.

The AC in my car, BTW, is 100% electric.  Does not run off the engine at all.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#19]
In my cop car (in Hawaii)....I never turned it off.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Irrelevant.

The A/C system weighs 50lbs.   Weight reduction yo!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]
In my cop car (in Hawaii)....I never turned it off.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top