Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
You did good...........sucks that you are working with asshole libtards.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Derp in this thread is utterly amazing.

Mountain out of Mole Hill much OP?

Again when you call 911 your are requesting help, once EMS shows up you follow  their rules or you don't get a ride. Don't like it, too fucking bad. If you are that concerned about your CCW then you're not critical. If I'm having a heart attack or bleeding out I could give a shit less about my gun, that shit is replaceable.

You realize these situations are occurring everyday and pretty much noone is having issues with it right?
View Quote

Cool.  Last time I took an ambulance ride was for a herniated disc in my back. I was in complete control of my faculties. Admittedly not life threatening to me, but neither was I to anyone else.

You're ok with the deprivation of rights under color of law?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Again when you call 911 your are requesting help, once EMS shows up you follow  their rules or you don't get a ride. Don't like it, too fucking bad. If you are that concerned about your CCW then you're not critical. If I'm having a heart attack or bleeding out I could give a shit less about my gun, that shit is replaceable.

You realize these situations are occurring everyday and pretty much noone is having issues with it right?
View Quote

So if someone carrying a weapon gets hit by a car or whatever severe injury that may happen to a person, you would be fine with them dying/bleeding out while EMTs stand around with their thumbs up their asses waiting for the cops to come get the gun before the EMTs go to work?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#5]
That TL:DR shit has gotten old. It's not funny anymore. Read or lose.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think the issue lies in the refusal of treatement until law enforcement have come along and disarmed the patient that is the issue, if I have read that right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude, if you are being transported there really is no reason to maintain your firearm. I've got no problem with law-enforcement securing the firearm for safekeeping.

We're not talking about Stubbed toe... You were being transported by an ambulance.

I think the issue lies in the refusal of treatement until law enforcement have come along and disarmed the patient that is the issue, if I have read that right.

That's how I read it.

What the fuck do they do.............just sit there while the guy bleeds out for example for god's sake!!??
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, nothing you said was inherently unreasonable.  

The only thing I would've done differently is asked the LEO where they would store/secure the weapons, and whether they were prepared to accept responsibility for disarmed patients' gear for the duration.  No one likes additional responsibilities.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's how I read it.

What the fuck do they do.............just sit there while the guy bleeds out for example for god's sake!!??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude, if you are being transported there really is no reason to maintain your firearm. I've got no problem with law-enforcement securing the firearm for safekeeping.

We're not talking about Stubbed toe... You were being transported by an ambulance.

That's how I read it.

I imagine that would bring on a lawsuit.
OP must be in either Milwaukee or Madison.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#9]
But.....isn't the law enforcment officer armed? By their own logic, and personal expericence, the scene becomes unsafe as soon as the office arrives.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good lord im not reading all that,,,sorry.

TL:DR
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:21:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

ok, but what if LE arnt on scene.. and they are refusing to treat until they are... we all know what a great response time LE has to 911 calls, imagine the response time to "can you send over a squad to hold this guys gun so we can treat him"...

mean while the person now suffers death or greater injury due to the time lapse...  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:36:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to world of healthcare policy.

What blows my mind is the level of education these people have.

Been on a couple of committees and the level of stupid is astounding.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:41:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Ambulance transport policy > Constitutional Rights
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

I'm going to have to agree.  I have no problem with armed patients in an outpatient setting like an office practice, and I have had armed patients in my office.  It doesn't interfere with my ability to take care of them, physical exam, etc.

However, an ER patient may require drugs that would alter their mental state, x-rays/MRI, etc. where possessing a firearm is going to interfere with the testing or they mentally will no longer be able to maintain control.  

But I completely understand where you are coming from OP and I don't question your sincerity.  This is simply one situation where it is better to have the weapon secured, and if a family member or friend can't take it then an LEO should.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I answered kept your mouth shut. Not because I think you should have acquiesced but because (at least in my state) you are kind of wrong. Not because in and of itself the gun or gun owner is dangerous, but because you can't take that patient into the hospital with a gun (as far as I know all hospitals are gun free). So, what do you do with the gun once you get to the hospital? You take on liability by taking possession of the gun. Plus, what if in the course of your treatment you administer a Narc, now you just turned the gun owner into a felon. Or again, you took possession of a gun in your ambulance and what do you do with it when you return to service. I have absolutely no problem with gun owners obviously, but I can't wait until you get discharged to give you back your gun.
View Quote

None of my hospitals are gun free, but if you're going to the hospital by ambulance, I'm concerned about the gun being lost, stolen, taken by another patient, etc if the patient becomes incapacitated.

In regards to some other posts, I highly doubt that an EMT/paramedic will refuse to treat a seriously injured patient just because they see a gun on his hip.  They'd likely stabilize the patient and remove the gun themselves or by that time an LEO is on scene and can secure it.

If you walked into the local ER with a cut on you hand requiring stitches and were carrying concealed, the fact you are armed wouldn't even come up.  We're talking here about a case where someone is injured enough or sick enough to require transportation by ambulance.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:03:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I would have treated you and your weapon would have been secured by your wife. No big deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was having a seizure in the middle of the night. Back was sore so I was sleeping on a recliner with a gun by my side. Wife called 911 EMT arrived lifted me up and saw the gun. Wife says she said I'll take it and lock it up. A cop had showed up with the EMT he would not let her touch it he took it and she walked him to the safe. Nothing happened until the gun was locked up.
My problem with waiting for a cop to show before EMT will act puts the victim at a great risk. A stroke or heart attack victim needs care NOW. If I had died my wife would have sued.

I would have treated you and your weapon would have been secured by your wife. No big deal.

That's what I figured most (? all) EMT/paramedics would do.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:06:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pretty sure I read all the replies but maybe I missed it. Has anyone asked what their policy is for treating a cop? Who takes their weapon? Would the clothing you're wearing really be all that is needed to differentiate?
View Quote

You just divided by zero.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:09:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's at most four paragraphs. If your too lazy to read "all that" then God help this nation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's at most four paragraphs. If your too lazy to read "all that" then God help this nation.

Nation is already fubar
Sad
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#19]
The icing on the cake was when one of the medical directors for the
system said "While I doubt this policy is constitutional, I'm of the
opinion that we should pass it and operate under the policy until it is
ruled unconstitutional by a court."

This mentality is one of the biggest reasons we have so many successful attacks on our liberty in this country.  It's not about what's right, it's about what they can get away with.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:16:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It'd be a shame if that policy made the local news and was subsequently challenged in court in regards to its constitutionality.
View Quote

Especially if it came out that one of the committee members said that the measure is probably unconstitutional, but said it should be implemented anyway.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:19:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Tell this story to the appropriate (NRA) group so they can sue your company now instead of later.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:26:07 AM EDT
[#22]
FWIW in Michigan, hospitals are pistol free zones for CPL purposes, so the firearm would be secured anyways or the person would be in violation of law if the destination were a hospital.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:47:46 AM EDT
[#23]
If I'd been in an accident and was injured seriously enough to require transport, it'd be nice to find out later that there had been a procedure in place to secure my gun and maybe other valuables, and I'd be getting my stuff back.

The problem with the board's discussion is that it focused on the "safety" of emergency/hospital personnel, which should be addressed, but not to the point of refusing treatment of an armed individual.

If you're well enough that your biggest concern is remaining armed, you probably don't need much in the way of medical care anyway (or maybe you're just an idiot).

If you're really in an emergency situation, EMTs are going to destroy your clothes- they'll cut your $500 leather jacket to shreds, and a whole lot of other things you'd never want to see. All for one reason - to save your life.

If you're laying in the street after some idiot ran a red light and t-boned you on your bike,and your leg is broken, and a cop wants to take your gun?
That's not a violation of rights- it's common sense.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:51:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Cool.  Last time I took an ambulance ride was for a herniated disc in my back. I was in complete control of my faculties. Admittedly not life threatening to me, but neither was I to anyone else.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take it you don't fly?

No hospital around me will allow a patient to be armed. More over its a cluster fuck for everyone involved.  What exactly do you thinking you are going to be able to do with your CCW when you couldn't even manage to get to the hospital on your own?

I guess some of the other posters missed the reference to the "gun box" for times when leaving the weapon with a responsible part isn't an option. Cut the holster off the belt and  both go in  the box. Trying to make a weapon  safe in a confined box is retarded
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:55:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not too lazy, just don't have the time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:02:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:06:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I assume that minutes are kept of these meetings?  You should get a copy and file it away in a safe place.  Might come in useful some day, either to protect yourself or hang them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:11:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The icing on the cake was when one of the medical directors for the system said "while I doubt this policy is constitutional, I'm of the opinion that we should pass it and operate under the policy until it is ruled unconstitutional by a court."
View Quote

We need to start putting those people in prison. And bar them from any kind of public position.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:16:42 AM EDT
[#29]
OP, you sound like a good man. We are all doing our part but yeah, you just outed yourself. Polish up your resume and start looking south towards Texas or some other free (sorta) state.

Oh, and F.gov. All of them everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#30]
You did the right thing by standing up for our rights. If no one stands up for them, we will definitely lose them. Your liberal co-workers are retards. They hate freedom and they want to discriminate against conservatives and let them die untreated.

I take it you don't fly?

No hospital around me will allow a patient to be armed. More over its a cluster fuck for everyone involved. What exactly do you thinking you are going to be able to do with your CCW when you couldn't even manage to get to the hospital on your own?

I guess some of the other posters missed the reference to the "gun box" for times when leaving the weapon with a responsible part isn't an option. Cut the holster off the belt and both go in the box. Trying to make a weapon safe in a confined box is retarded
View Quote

When a person is seriously injured, they won't be in the correct mental state to put their firearm back in a safe. They also might not be physically able to. And depending on the circumstances, it might not be wise to do so anyway. I can imagine a non-black man in Ferguson Missouri being wounded, and some locals taking advantage of his state by assaulting him further or trying to rob him.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:38:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"an armed individual in an of itself makes for an unsafe scene."
View Quote

While that's obviously bullshit, even if it were true I don't think it should make any difference.  Should EMT's refuse to treat somebody in a car wreck because there is a tank full of potentially explosive gasoline in one of the cars?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:50:07 AM EDT
[#32]
The EMS unit I use to run with had a similar conversation and wanted to know LEO opinion.  The Sheriff , and the local Police Chiefs said no way in heck are we doing that.  It is
unconstitutional.  The Hospitals put in lockers where the firearm stays until it is returned to the individual.   I am really surprised that this has come up 3 yrs after CCW passed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:04:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So gun owners get to bleed out or die of a heart attack because a holstered gun is unsafe?
View Quote

No, jesus GD has really gone full retard. You get to bleed out or die of a heart attack if you are too stupid to realize that if you are bleeding out from a trauma or having a heart attack that your  weapon needs to be secured. Before yall get your fucking pampers or depends in a bunch, it is also common policynfor law enforcement, gun is a no go on the bus if you are the patient. Get your heads out of your asses
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:17:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're absolutely correct, but the question is the proper sequence of events.

If EMS refuses to treat you at all until a police officer physically takes posession of your weapon, you can suffer further injury while waiting for the police.  And, if you do, what's your recourse?  You've suffered injury based on medical nontreatment, but the responsible party is not medical personnel.  It's a big can of worms, and the board is basically just hoping that it never causes any problems.

The proper sequence of events is to treat the patient as normal, once it is established that the firearm is secured within a holster.  The police should be instructed to take posession of the weapon, yes, but if they're not at the scene when the patient needs transport, then the cops can just meet them at the hospital.

A patient having a gun should NOT be cause to delay treatment.  That's the point.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:18:31 AM EDT
[#35]
While I agree with you on the finer point of the law, common sense dictates you do what the fuck the doc or EMT tells you.  If it reaches the point your fine point of the law is relevant, someone is being a fucking idiot, and it isn't the healthcare provider.

You're trusting them with your life...I'm pretty sure the one gun is a minor issue at that point.

Here's a scenario to consider as well.  Man reports heart problems, ambulance responds.  Man refuses to disarm, gets transported anyway.  You now have an armed unknown in an ambulance full of expensive medical equipment, drugs, seringes...all sorts of goodies.  If that thought has occurred to me, it has occurred to criminals, too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:22:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm just going to point this out in case it hasn't already.

What if they refuse service to someone who is literally dying on the spot?

What if that person decides to demand treatment at gunpoint?

Or, realizes he's going to die, knows it's because these pieces of shit are choosing to let him die, and decides to take them with him?

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:22:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Are cops disarmed if they have to take a ride in the Amberlamps?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:24:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
While I agree with you on the finer point of the law, common sense dictates you do what the fuck the doc or EMT tells you.  If it reaches the point your fine point of the law is relevant, someone is being a fucking idiot, and it isn't the healthcare provider.

You're trusting them with your life...I'm pretty sure the one gun is a minor issue at that point.

Here's a scenario to consider as well.  Man reports heart problems, ambulance responds.  Man refuses to disarm, gets transported anyway.  You now have an armed unknown in an ambulance full of expensive medical equipment, drugs, seringes...all sorts of goodies.  If that thought has occurred to me, it has occurred to criminals, too.
View Quote

You just made the same argument that all the liberal anti-gun types make that a person with a firearm  (regardless if they are law-abiding or not) represents a "potential" threat, and therefore there should be rules/laws that pre-mitigate that "potential" threat. Instead of your example, just replace ambulance with bank, or veterinarian office, or any number of other venues where someone with a gun who elects to do evil has the potential to do harm or steal property.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Good job OP
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

While that's obviously bullshit, even if it were true I don't think it should make any difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"an armed individual in an of itself makes for an unsafe scene."

While that's obviously bullshit, even if it were true I don't think it should make any difference.

While it's obviously BS to those who defend citizens' 2A rights, I don't think it is obvious to those who hold little regard for citizens' 2A rights. Kinda what is the sticking point of his whole issue and my being the sole voice against the direction that the committee went.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:29:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Are cops disarmed if they have to take a ride in the Amberlamps?  Just curious.
View Quote

Military disarms medevac'd wounded, as standard procedure.

I'd imagine police do as well.

But the question isn't about whether it's proper for a police officer to take control of a patient's weapon - that is a good policy.

The question is whether it's okay to delay treatment based solely on the fact that the patient is (presumably legally) armed (and also presuming that the weapon is in a safe condition i.e. in a holster) - and that is absolutely not acceptable.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Consider it this way:

A knife is potentially a deadly weapon.
Lots of people carry pocket knives.
Out of concern for scene safety, a medical response agency decides that they're no longer going to treat anyone in posession of a knife.
If you have a pocket knife, you'll need to wait for the police to arrive to take the knife from you, and then and only then will EMS treat your injuries.

See?  It doesn't make sense.

The proper procedure is to treat and transport the patient as required by the circumstances of the emergency.

The mere presence of a firearm should not constitute a valid reason to delay treatment.

Yes, have the cops take posession of the firearm, but there's no reason they can't do that at the hospital or after you've started treatment at the scene.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Good job OP
View Quote

TL;DR

try again whiskerz
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If I'd been in an accident and was injured seriously enough to require transport, it'd be nice to find out later that there had been a procedure in place to secure my gun and maybe other valuables, and I'd be getting my stuff back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I will wager that every hospital ED has a procedure for doing just this.

The problem with the board's discussion is that it focused on the "safety" of emergency/hospital personnel, which should be addressed, but not to the point of refusing treatment of an armed individual.

Quoted:
If you're well enough that your biggest concern is remaining armed, you probably don't need much in the way of medical care anyway (or maybe you're just an idiot).

What if you are not critical, but need a visit to the ED (say for a broken leg). And you are alone so there is no family/friends for you to give your CCW weapon to.

Quoted:If you're laying in the street after some idiot ran a red light and t-boned you on your bike,and your leg is broken, and a cop wants to take your gun?
That's not a violation of rights- it's common sense.

It's not a violation if the cop wants to take it and you voluntarily relinquish it to him/her or another person. But what if the cop wants to take it and you don't want him to? Maybe you are afraid it will get "lost" like many patient possessions (jewelry, watches, etc.) do when people are transported by ambulance. Is it a violation now if he takes your legally owned/carried firearm against your will? This isn't a law enforcement stop where the officer has suspicion of a crime and is confiscating your firearm temporarily until he/she sorts things out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:39:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We're talking here about a case where someone is injured enough or sick enough to require transportation by ambulance.

View Quote

In most EMS systems, mine included, somewhere north of ~90% of patient transports are not for critical patients.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This is simply one situation where it is better to have the weapon secured, and if a family member or friend can't take it then an LEO should.

View Quote

I don't disagree with you, but it isn't a question of "should" the firearm be secured, its how, by who, and whether it is voluntary or not. In effect its a blanket "no shirt, no shoes, no service" policy targeted (pun intended) at gun owners.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:44:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
But.....isn't the law enforcment officer armed? By their own logic, and personal expericence, the scene becomes unsafe as soon as the office arrives.
View Quote

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

Animal Farm
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OP must be in either Milwaukee or Madison.
View Quote

While I live in WI, I work in MN (where this took place)
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I take it you don't fly?

View Quote

I've taken one round trip flight in the last 12 years, and that was because my work forced me to.  I won't do it voluntarily.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It'd be a shame if that policy made the local news and was subsequently challenged in court in regards to its constitutionality.
View Quote

HINT HINT OP

I don't get the deal.  You can't carry in hospitals per law anyways so in-taking a patient at an ambulance unarmed makes sense.  It's probably easier to secure it at your home or where you're currently at than it is once you get to the hospital.

If a patient can secure their own weapon, I'm pretty sure they would have and no need for LEO to assist.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top