BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2014 8:02:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]
How coincidental!!!  I was driving under one doing touch and goes by my plant today!   Them prop blades are HUUUUUUGE!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I guess they are tougher aircraft than most thought.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
fucking balls..... those guys have em

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems like they're a bit tougher then they look.

That being said, I wouldn't trust them. Then again I don't like helos either.

Come to think of it, I don't like flying.

Good pilots though, and good crews. Well done.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#6]

WoW --- had never heard of this before.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like one of those investments I was highly skeptical at first... turned out pretty decent.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Proves once again, don't roam around African shit holes after dawn.  The CV is proving to be a fairly survivable aircraft, but could use some more Kevlar blankets in the cabin. The new crop of guys in the CV's are keeping up the tradition of Anytime, Anyplace.  Rotor heads may not all be geniuses (some are!) but they do have mongo cojones.

The FE on the one lost in AFG was a good friend.  We flew 53's  together in crappy places around the world.  

God speed JB.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#9]
on a flight to try to rescue American citizens in the city of Bor
View Quote

Yep, just you're normal, every day citizens.  Nothing special about them.  Nope.

The V22 is going to prove itself to be an awesome bird as time goes on.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep, just you're normal, every day citizens.  Nothing special about them.  Nope.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If only they didn't leak Hydraulic oil at the same rate they burn fuel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, at what cost?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The FE on the one lost in AFG was a good friend.  We flew 53's  together in crappy places around the world.  

God speed JB.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Needs more door gunner, that's not happening though. Two hundred and seventy degrees of defenselessness...cool.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#14]
So what happened to the SF guys that got hit?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Needs more door gunner, that's not happening though. Two hundred and seventy degrees of defenselessness...cool.
View Quote

The Marines put a belly gun on ours.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like the AF decided that might be a priority after this incident:

After three of AFSOC’s Ospreys were shot up over Juba, South Sudan in December, resulting in the injuries of four Marines on board, the command realized that the birds needed better armor. DiSebastian said that "we’re looking to put armor protection on those aircraft in under 140 days” and they’re about a third of the way through that. SOCOM leadership is also working on beefing up the firepower on the aircraft, testing new forward-firing weapons that it wants to put in place by the end of this year.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Very impressive
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20140522/DEFREG02/305220038/SOCOM-Soon-Getting-More-Capable-Deadlier-Ospreys-C-130s

After three of AFSOC’s Ospreys were shot up over Juba, South Sudan in December, resulting in the injuries of four Marines on board, the command realized that the birds needed better armor. DiSebastian said that "we’re looking to put armor protection on those aircraft in under 140 days” and they’re about a third of the way through that. SOCOM leadership is also working on beefing up the firepower on the aircraft, testing new forward-firing weapons that it wants to put in place by the end of this year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.defensenews.com/article/20140522/DEFREG02/305220038/SOCOM-Soon-Getting-More-Capable-Deadlier-Ospreys-C-130s

It's too bad most "Staff" have never crewed a helicopter. It's a long story that I'm not going to bore people with, but I heard about this problem twenty years ago.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn. Impressive flying.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's too bad most "Staff" have never crewed a helicopter. It's a long story that I'm not going to bore people with, but I heard about this problem twenty years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOCOM J3 is a 53 guy.  Multiple other SOCOM senior staff are 53 guys. Last SOCEUR commander 53 guy.  New SOCEUR CC a 53 guy.  Retiring MARSOC CC a 53 guy.  Don't even get me going about the AFSOC staff... Yep.  No helicopter guys on these staffs.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:29:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

SOCOM J3 is a 53 guy.  Multiple other SOCOM senior staff are 53 guys. Last SOCEUR commander 53 guy.  New SOCEUR CC a 53 guy.  Retiring MARSOC CC a 53 guy.  Don't even get me going about the AFSOC staff... Yep.  No helicopter guys on these staffs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then why is it only coming to light now?

<edit> I looked up CH-53, that answered it for me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Truly awesome job by the flight crews and everyone attending to the wounded.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was the first combat mission for the medic who tended to the 2 most critically wounded, at one point transfusing his own blood to a teammate while still in flight (all while fighting off the pain of a bullet lodged against his kidney). I'm honored to know the man.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Those birds got shot the fuck up if all those systems started going down.

I'm glad everyone made it out alive and I wish a speedy and full recovery to the wounded.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#26]
That was a bad day they walked right into it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#27]
stud pilots
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:07:17 PM EDT
[#28]
A great job .
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That was the first combat mission for the medic who tended to the 2 most critically wounded, at one point transfusing his own blood to a teammate while still in flight (all while fighting off the pain of a bullet lodged against his kidney). I'm honored to know the man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome.

He calls the whole thing a miracle.  One guy was almost cut in half and they kept him alive all the way to the hospital, and he was patched up decently (for having almost been severed at the pelvis). And my buddy went home on con leave just in time to see his second son born, he missed the first one because he was towards the end of  BUD/s when his wife gave birth.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Jesus what was he shot with?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Bad ass story.

Murica.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

Quit honestly, I'm surprised.  That design has been so problematic.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:47:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Jesus what was he shot with?
View Quote

They flew over 3 or 4 technicals relatively low and slow. It was bad fucking luck, that those guys happened to be there at that point and time, relatively alert. All the guys were seated in the aircraft, technicals pointed straight up and opened up on them (bullets entered legs and ass and traveled up the body in a couple instances) followed by a couple RPGs. Not sure excatly was sitting on the back of those trucks...7.62? .50? 14.5mm?  He didn't have any guesses.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Heroes all...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:12:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That was my first thought

Quoted:

...and that was my second thought
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:39:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like a great place for lightweight composite armor on the bottom. It probably wouldn't weight much to make it .30 cal rifle proof and a .50 or larger is going to fuck up the aircraft regardless of the crew being injured or not.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

He calls the whole thing a miracle.  One guy was almost cut in half and they kept him alive all the way to the hospital, and he was patched up decently (for having almost been severed at the pelvis). And my buddy went home on con leave just in time to see his second son born, he missed the first one because he was towards the end of  BUD/s when his wife gave birth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome.

Your friend is a bad ass.

Were these guys SEALs, SF or MARSOC? The articles state the later two, but you stated that your friend went through BUD/S.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:44:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Awesome aircraft and great crews!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Amazing story. Thanks for sharing.

It's nice to hear about the Osprey again after all the troubles early on. Do you guys think it will be a successful platform for years to come? I'm still amazed at what that thing can do and can only imagine where they go from here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:01:47 AM EDT
[#41]
S-1... I'm having problems trimming quote trees on my phone, so bear with me. My friend is a SEAL, and I know there was 1 or 2 PJs scattered in that op. He also mentioned some Army folks. There is of course a little bit more to this story, but when we spoke about this in depth in May, he asked that I keep the story to myself. He shared this with me and his bro because we all have some similar life experiences.I'm trying to walk a line where I'm only talking about stuff that's mentioned In the article, and not break his trust. When more of this comes out, I'll be glad to spill the beans though

ETA for clarity- there was a large ratio of medic types on those birds due to the humanitarian nature of that particular operation. If I remember right,,the main group was MARSOC, as stated in the article.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:14:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good God....
that is Medal of Honor material.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:17:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome.

we worked all night on a kid that was severed in half at the pelvis -/-  from a oil well counter balance at a trauma center. ( he lived)  I can only imagine the effort made in a combat situation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

good God....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

good God....

That was my first thought too. My words to him were something like "holy fuck, did you get back in the aircraft, pilot it yourself and destroy the rebel position?" He laughed, I believe he is currently nominated for a medal or two (from that incident) , along with a couple other individuals.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:27:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

The injuries were so severe that medics “began drawing matching blood from personnel on board to
ensure an immediate transfusion” when the aircraft touched down at Entebbe, according to the Air Force.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:35:37 AM EDT
[#46]
OK_Nativeson, I can only imagine what it was like in the back of that bumpy Osprey. I've worked EMS for a few years now and feel for you for working that poor kid, they are mentally the hardest people to have to work, especially the traumas. Glad he pulled through though!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:09:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like evading the fire would be a better strategy than trying to engage the targets with a single gun and an a/c full of people, and evading would likely mean it would be really tough to engage, right? Sounds to me like it doesn't require so much door gunner as it does an AV-22 gunship platform to escort.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:18:37 AM EDT
[#48]
RPG hits? What kind of RPG, where did it hit, and what damage did it do?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:23:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forward cannons on a troop transport?  So now the pilots can focus on landing for loading/unloading AND engaging all at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:26:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have a new belly mounted remote controlled minigun they are testing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top