Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own any "off brands" but I will in the future.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm often intreaged by the Rossi revolvers. Never have pulled the trigger though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about a Megastar! 3 pounds empty.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DriftPunch/media/MegaStar_Weight.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/MegaStar_Weight.jpg</a>
View Quote

Star made some nice guns. I really like my Model B.

The only real downside to Star is the fact that they went out of business long ago and spares are getting scarce.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a couple Radoms.  a ViS wz.35 and a Mag-98

I suppose since CZ isn't listed a CZ 82 as well
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Canik55 S-120.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/Stuff/S120VZGrips_zps781f5f4d.jpg

CZ-75B full size copy. Very well made.
View Quote
Have the S-120 and the T-120.  Awesome guns.  Love them.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I got an SCCY cpx-2 9mm in a trade just for shits and it has turned out to be quite a little shooter. Points easy accurate and pretty small for a 9mm I don't know I would trust my life to it just yet CCW but I haven't had any issues in the 400 rounds I put through it.

Hickok45 does a pretty favorable review on it which is what made me give it a shot.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9gRBpZ5IRPk/ULOQmyZKBDI/AAAAAAAACBY/xBhMU7Nhx3E/s1600/Hipower+002.jpg
FEG PKJ-9HP

I'll buy any quality example I come across for a good deal.
View Quote

I would not call FEG a sub brand, the PA-63 surp guns are like tanks and accurate as hell. I only wish I bought more of them when they were going for $100 each.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm often intreaged by the Rossi revolvers. Never have pulled the trigger though.
View Quote

Don't.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never owned any of the "off-brand" pistols mentioned, but about all of them have pretty good reviews
from the folks what own them.

The three Bersa's I've owned have all been dern good weapons.

Hell, all of the Taurus' I've owned have been good firearms, too. Guess I'm lucky that way.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'm surprised it took as many as three posts for the XD hate to happen.

View Quote
I didn't mean to, just started as a joke response. I did actually want to like my XD.

I do apologize for the derail. I had a 13'er moment. Please carry on.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a large frame Witness .45 that I've had for 10-12 years. Great pistol.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
My favorite pistol is a bul ltd.  Cherokee.  

It's a polymer cz clone   Paid less than $200 for it from academy sports and it has been 100%.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't.
Yup.

I have one that shoots about 6" off at 15 yards because the damn barrel is crooked.  Was it worth $200?  Probably not.  F' those people.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yup.
I have one that shoots about 6" off at 15 yards because the damn barrel is crooked.  Was it worth $200?  Probably not.  F' those people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't.
Yup.

We used to take them off thugs in the ghetto constantly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#18]
In my safe I have some off brands.
Daewoo DP-51 - Good reliable pistol but accuracy is only acceptable
Bersa - I have the Thunder in 380ACP and 22lr. Very reliable and accurate
Charter Arms - I have a Pathfinder 22lr.  Great little kit gun.
Rossi - The 22lr 511 revolver. Decent little revolver
Davis - 22 Derringer is a piece of shit
Jennings - I have 20 years old J22 and is amazingly reliable.  Great $50 pistol.
Styr - M9 pistol is just as good as Glock
Seecamp - It's an amazing pistol
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can't even bring myself to purchase a Taurus.
View Quote

Their metal guns are solid; I haven't played with their tupperware line.  Lifetime warranty on the gun if you ever have issues tho.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I started thinking about the off brand handguns. S&W, Colt, Glock, Beretta, Sig, Walther, FN, HK, Ruger, and dare I say Taurus are common mainstream brands in the handgun market. But I wonder if anyone owns an off brand handgun.

Guns like the following.

Tanfoglio Witness Series
http://eaacorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/witness_p_carry1.png

Rock Island Armory Model 200
[div style='font-size: 16px;']http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w636/Jordan_Holdsworth/M200/photo1_zpsf37213be.jpg

Zastava EZ Series
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/190327041.jpg

Bersa Thunder Series
http://www.bersa.com/skin/frontend/blank/theme063/images/guns/Thunder-Pro-9-duoNM-L-hires.jpg

EAA's Windicator - Weihrauch Series
[div style='font-size: 16px;']http://eaacorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2003/07/Windicatorsteel2.jpg

CzechPoint USA Alfa Proj Serieshttps://www.czechpoint-usa.com/files/files/produkty/3541_600.jpg

How is the quality of these guns? Worth a damn or a waste of time and money?

Edit

Springfield and the XD line isn't an Off Brand Gun. RIA 1911s aren't either but their revolver sure is.
View Quote

I loved my bersa
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#21]
The Tanfoglio CZ clones are considered top of the line for USPSA Production division.  I wouldn't call them off brand.  No idea about their polymer stuff though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Canik55 S-120.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx116/MVolkJ1975/Stuff/S120VZGrips_zps781f5f4d.jpg

I have yet to hear anything bad about the Canik pistols.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I have an STI
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Canik55 S-120.

Trigger on the TP9 is supposed to leave something to be desired, but I have no personal experience.  If my two metal framed guns are

representative, the metal guns are sweet, especially for the price.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have an STI
View Quote
Lame.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got a Canik TP9 that's been awesome so far. Accurate, reliable with nice features.
Also just bought a Bursa Thunder 380 Plus that is still in the mail towards my ffl. Found some nice burl grips for it and plan on getting a UBG iwb holster for it. If I like it as much as people say I will then I might put some meprolight sights on it. I'm really looking forward to checking it out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The only real downside to Star is the fact that they went out of business long ago and spares are getting scarce.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

IMO, the finest Star ever produced is the 30m. They are excellent performers if you can deal with blued steel. The alternate finish was a much more robust brushed nickel that they called 'Starvel'. There are no stainless Stars, so anybody advertising a Star as such is either unknowing or intentionally deceiving. Unlike chome or polished nickel, Starvel does indeed look a bit like matte stainless.

Both the 30m and the Megastar have the unusual and not lawyer proof Star safety. The safety simply pushes the firing pin down its channel away from the reach of the hammer (just barely out of reach too). The hammer and trigger are not a part of the system, and the hammer will fall if you pull the trigger with the safety on. This is different than the Beretta/3rd Gen Smith system, because those guns drop the hammer once the pin is protected as a part of the lever throw.

Stock photo, not a pic of mine. I paid $290 for it around '00.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:29:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not so much the polymer Witness that you posted, but Tangfolio makes some damned nice guns.  I'm going to add a Witness Match to the safe someday.

I also have a Bersa Thunder in .380 (their little PPK clone) that has been a good shooter.  I've even carried it, but only when I'm in a Bond mood.

ETA:  The Match version of the Tanfo:

http://mysite.verizon.net/reso3b4u/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/eaamatch.jpg
View Quote

I actually hope that people look down their noses at the Witness pistols.  I do not like the polymer framed ones, but the Steel framed ones without the rounded slide tops are well made.  If more people bought them, they would go up in price like the CZ's did.

Bersa makes decent pistols for the money.  Not as smooth as the Witness, but good carry guns.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had a accurate and reliable Stoger Cougar, but I guess that would be sub-brand.  I've considered Witness before, but couldn't convince myself.
View Quote

Isn't Stoeger a Beretta brand?  UHP actually issues Cougars.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/highwaypatrol/history_2000/beretta.html
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Does a Seecamp count?

I have old WWI and WWII era pistols not sure if those are really off brand either because there were ALOT of them made for the wars.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Canik Stingray AKA an ambidextrous, manual safety CZP01.

This thing is a tack driver and 100% reliable so far.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I still have my first gun, my Hi-Point C9. I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. It never fails to go bang when asked...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In the garbage, from my short experience with one  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
XD wasn't mentioned in either category, where does it fall?
In the garbage, from my short experience with one  

You just do not know awesome when you see it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:00:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a first gen SKYY/SCCY CPX-1. I'd trade it for a hipoint in a heartbeat. It has broke everything at least once.

Lifetime Warranty though.
View Quote

I tried the SCCY also and really wanted to like it, but it was junk.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:23:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Canik Stingray AKA an ambidextrous, manual safety CZP01.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg482/verticalgain/misc/20140807_025150_zpsi1lthy1_edit_1409126649505_zpslyqookuw.jpg

This thing is a tack driver and 100% reliable so far.
View Quote

This looks nice!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I had a accurate and reliable Stoger Cougar, but I guess that would be sub-brand.  I've considered Witness before, but couldn't convince myself.
View Quote

No experience with the steel framed witness pistols but did have a witness P. Nothing but trouble, jamming wise. Sent it back, they said it was fixed and it still jammed with quality FMJ.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a first gen SKYY/SCCY CPX-1. I'd trade it for a hipoint in a heartbeat. It has broke everything at least once.

Lifetime Warranty though.

front sight popped off
recoil spring retaining screw backed out, bent, and broke
saftey engages while shooting
safety broke
mag release engages while shooting
mag split on the seam

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No experience with the steel framed witness pistols but did have a witness P. Nothing but trouble, jamming wise. Sent it back, they said it was fixed and it still jammed with quality FMJ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what makes Witness/Tanfoglio an "off brand" in the US -- the customer service for the importer has a history of being less than stellar.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
i hate cheap shit guns, that being said i took a bersa .380 (walther pp looking gun)
on trade. i had about 75 bucks in it, it was a decent gun. i would by it again for less
than 200 bucks, i gave that pistol to my stepfather. if that pistol was typical of bersa
quality i would have no problem recommending them.
View Quote

My Bersa thunder is the only gun out of all the guns me and my 4 shooting buddies shoot, that has never failed, not even once.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Star Firestar in .45, very nice concealed carry gun, if you can find a holster and the weight doesn't bother you.
Raven .25, it was cheap but as long as you don't dry fire it a lot very reliable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Zastava EZ Series
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/190327041.jpg

How is the quality of these guns? Worth a damn or a waste of time and money?
View Quote

I've had one of these for several years. It has been a rock-solid performer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My Bersa thunder is the only gun out of all the guns me and my 4 shooting buddies shoot, that has never failed, not even once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
i hate cheap shit guns, that being said i took a bersa .380 (walther pp looking gun)
on trade. i had about 75 bucks in it, it was a decent gun. i would by it again for less
than 200 bucks, i gave that pistol to my stepfather. if that pistol was typical of bersa
quality i would have no problem recommending them.

Glad to hear it. I'm picking my BT Plus up tomorrow. Classy lookin gun and 15+1 rounds of 380+P oughta be sufficient.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In the garbage,  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
XD wasn't mentioned in either category, where does it fall?
In the garbage,  

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:31:55 AM EDT
[#45]
I like old FEG firearms.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a Rossi 971. I paid $200 for it. It locks up tight, it's accurate, and it goes bang every time.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Star Firestar in .45, very nice concealed carry gun, if you can find a holster and the weight doesn't bother you.

Raven .25, it was cheap but as long as you don't dry fire it a lot very reliable.
View Quote

Star was never an off brand. They just went out of business. Same thing with Astra.... both were great gun makers from Spain.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I have an "off brand" Girsan 1911 and believe it or not, it's one of my most accurate pistols. She's a fun one to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

Stick through a bucket of rocks. Very rough.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

The Tanfoglio CZ clones are considered top of the line for USPSA Production division.  I wouldn't call them off brand.  No idea about their polymer stuff though.
View Quote

They have been active in IPSC/USPSA for over 20 years. They speak race guns.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top