Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/26/2014 1:20:00 PM EDT
I started thinking about the off brand handguns. S&W, Colt, Glock, Beretta, Sig, Walther, FN, HK, Ruger, and dare I say Taurus are common mainstream brands in the handgun market. But I wonder if anyone owns an off brand handgun.

Guns like the following.

Tanfoglio Witness Series

Rock Island Armory Model 200

Zastava EZ Series

Bersa Thunder Series

EAA's Windicator - Weihrauch Series

CzechPoint USA Alfa Proj Series

How is the quality of these guns? Worth a damn or a waste of time and money?

Edit

Springfield and the XD line isn't an Off Brand Gun. RIA 1911s aren't either but their revolver sure is.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#1]
My Rock Island 1911 is the closest I have to an "Off Brand", and its been 100% so far.

...I mean, Dear Leader, why do you seek calibers other than the glorious .40?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
XD wasn't mentioned in either category, where does it fall?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
In the garbage, from my short experience with one

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My Rock Island 1911 is the closest I have to an "Off Brand", and its been 100% so far.

View Quote

Yep.  My RIA 1911 Tac has been 100% so far as well.  best sub $500 gun I have bought and its a 1911.  Cant hate that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend has a Lionheart and swears by it. I have no firsthand experience so I'll keep my mouth shut. My 19 works just fine.

ETA: And I don't think I would call Bersa an off-brand gun. They are a dime a dozen around here.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Masterpiece Arms MPA30T

Always wanted a gangsta gun and it was $100.

And threaded 1/2x28
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to disagree with you on that one.  My XD sub compact has been a damned fine handgun.  Never a problem.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a first gen SKYY/SCCY CPX-1. I'd trade it for a hipoint in a heartbeat. It has broke everything at least once.

Lifetime Warranty though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't.... just curious how the market is Comrade.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a accurate and reliable Stoger Cougar, but I guess that would be sub-brand.  I've considered Witness before, but couldn't convince myself.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

A friend has a Lionheart and swears by it. I have no firsthand experience so I'll keep my mouth shut. My 19 works just fine.

ETA: And I don't think I would call Bersa an off-brand gun. They are a dime a dozen around here.
View Quote
I wouldn't call lionheart an off brand. They're just not really well known, but they make south korea's side arm.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a 9mm RIA 1911 today. Should be here next week.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Have to disagree with you on that one.  My XD sub compact has been a damned fine handgun.  Never a problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My XDS was god awful. Granted, that is not an XD technically, but after my experience with SA, I won't ever buy from them again in my lifetime. ETA: Whoops, Fixed that slip up

Their XD's probably are fine, my cousin has one and he likes it. I'm just bitter over the XDS still and the way they treated me.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wouldn't call lionheart an off brand. They're just not really well known, but they make south korea's side arm.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never even seen one in person before
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#15]
All the off brand revolvers look like shit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Not so much the polymer Witness that you posted, but Tangfolio makes some damned nice guns.  I'm going to add a Witness Match to the safe someday.

I also have a Bersa Thunder in .380 (their little PPK clone) that has been a good shooter.  I've even carried it, but only when I'm in a Bond mood.

ETA:  The Match version of the Tanfo:

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Springfield 1911 on back seat of truck. I just got it.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#18]
If that new Russian wonder pistol ever makes it to the market I might be interested in one of those. Otherwise I don't have any interest in any "off brand" guns. I want a Walther PPS, but I dunno if you could call Walther "off brand."
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I know a guy who bought a Canik tp9 against my advise.

That thing is truly a piece of shit. I think the "TP" stands for toilet paper.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Canik55 S-120.

CZ-75B full size copy. Very well made.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine XDM is a very accurate shooter and I think it is a very good value for the price. Prefer it to my Glock 17 and 19.

Not exactly an off-brand, but one that doesn't get enough attention? CZ.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I can't even bring myself to purchase a Taurus.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If that new Russian wonder pistol ever makes it to the market I might be interested in one of those. Otherwise I don't have any interest in any "off brand" guns. I want a Walther PPS, but I dunno if you could call Walther "off brand."
View Quote

I would hesitate to call Walther Arms, maker of the P-38, PP, PPK, P99, PPS, unicorn/gamer/grail gun WA2000, etc. "off brand." They don't have current highest market share, but some of their guns are iconic.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#24]
OP, you mean like a Steyr?

Yeah I own one. Quality is tops. I would buy another with a quickness.

BGC by zweitakt250, on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I would hesitate to call Walther Arms, maker of the P-38, PP, PPK, P99, PPS, unicorn/gamer/grail gun WA2000, etc. "off brand." They don't have current highest market share, but some of their guns are iconic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walther is huge.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Ar-24.
Had to have one. Pretty much a Cank with an Armalite roll mark.  Should have BOUGHT  a Canik and taped two $100 bills to it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My XDS was god awful. Granted, that is not an XD technically, but after my experience with SA, I won't ever buy from them again in my lifetime. ETA: Whoops, Fixed that slip up

Their XD's probably are fine, my cousin has one and he likes it. I'm just bitter over not being able to shoot the XDS still and the way they laughed at me for limpwristing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their XD's probably are fine, my cousin has one and he likes it. I'm just bitter over not being able to shoot the XDS still and the way they laughed at me for limpwristing.

FIFY
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a RIA 1911 that I like, as well as two Tristar (canik55) CZ clones that are great.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Love my Tanfoglio. It's a weird European doublestack 7.65 Browning about the size and general shape as a Beretta Cheetah.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Para 14.45 - It's no Wilson, but I've been happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Mine XDM is a very accurate shooter and I think it is a very good value for the price. Prefer it to my Glock 17 and 19.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CZ isn't an off brand... they are very well made products. Just too many main brand companies to list.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ar-24.
Had to have one. Pretty much a Cank with an Armalite roll mark.  Should have BOUGHT  a Canik and taped two $100 bills to it.
View Quote

I used to see ads for those in gun rags.  Seemed like pretty cool, also like that they claimed to have forged steel (not sure it would make any difference, but 1911 guys seem to prefer it.)
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

CZ isn't an off brand... they are very well made products. Just too many main brand companies to list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I believe CZ is one of the more carried service pistols in the world.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got an off-brand 1911...it's called a Nighthawk.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY
More like world's worst trigger post-recall. It actually never jammed on me once.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Guns like the following.
Tanfoglio Witness Series
View Quote

Me too.

Quoted:
View Quote

I have 3 CZs on the list of guns to buy when I get out of NY.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#37]
i hate cheap shit guns, that being said i took a bersa .380 (walther pp looking gun)
on trade. i had about 75 bucks in it, it was a decent gun. i would by it again for less
than 200 bucks, i gave that pistol to my stepfather. if that pistol was typical of bersa
quality i would have no problem recommending them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought a canik shark.  I liked it so much that I went back and bought the canik stingray. I really like these two
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Bersa Thunder 9 HC Pro!!!!!!!!! I love my little Ghetto Blaster©

Quoted:
i hate cheap shit guns, that being said i took a bersa .380 (walther pp looking gun)
on trade. i had about 75 bucks in it, it was a decent gun. i would by it again for less
than 200 bucks, i gave that pistol to my stepfather. if that pistol was typical of bersa
quality i would have no problem recommending them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought a canik shark.  I liked it so much that I went back and bought the canik stingray. I really like these two
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#41]

FEG PKJ-9HP

I'll buy any quality example I come across for a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I have good luck with the Witness polymer series in .45 and .38 Super. I think they see a lot of use as competition guns in other countries.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think they see a lot of use as competition guns in other countries.
View Quote

Yes, they do. And also some in this country.

I certainly wouldn't consider Tanfo to really be an "off-brand". My latest is out at Canyon Creek getting turned into an Open gun. (But not full of holes like the Gold Team - had one before, will never again.)
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Not so much the polymer Witness that you posted, but Tangfolio makes some damned nice guns.  I'm going to add a Witness Match to the safe someday.

I also have a Bersa Thunder in .380 (their little PPK clone) that has been a good shooter.  I've even carried it, but only when I'm in a Bond mood.

ETA:  The Match version of the Tanfo:

http://mysite.verizon.net/reso3b4u/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/eaamatch.jpg
View Quote

That's a nice looking pistol. Might have to pick one up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't currently own any off brand, but I have in the past.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#46]
How about a Megastar! 3 pounds empty.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Tanfoglio has been in the biz for years cranking out decent quality firearms

I only have one now. little pea-shooter, but it functions 100% of the time

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I keep hearing a lot of good things about the Canik pistols.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm surprised it took as many as three posts for the XD hate to happen.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I have a Dan Wesson, does that count?  

I have a Zastava EZ40 that has been pretty good, but awesome for the price.  Too bad the damn thing is in fotah.

My first was a Sarsilmaz Hancer with the Academy rollmarks.  My only complaint was not buying two at $299.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top