Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/26/2014 10:20:12 AM EDT
Any truth to this. I'm new to the diesel thing, and I've heard a few people say this. Helps clean injectors and valves?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#1]
What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard of folk adding low-ash two-stroke oil (mineral, not synthetic) to make up for lubricity lost in modern low-sulphur diesel.

Not sure if it really benefits you though, I'd try it if I still had my old TD banger.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Never did this in my 97 powerstroke, and won't do it in my 2011 powerstroke.

I think the thought behind it is to replace some of the lubricity of the sulfur they took out a few years back. I think it's hogwash in the newer diesel motors that are designed to run on low sulfur fuel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I know a guy that used a mix of filtered used atf. He had to replace his injectors a few months later. And injector pump a year later. Could be unrelated though. This was on a cucv with the old 6.2L.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I heard jp7 works wonders

Let me know op
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Let me know op
View Quote

Where would a person find JP7 since the SR-71 was retired?

Or did you mean 8?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I've heard of people adding all kinds of shit to their tank because " a buddy of a buddy's wife's 2nd cousin" told them to.

My take? Why risk such an expensive engine on old wives tales? Go to the damn store and buy some cleaner that is designed to be put in a diesel tank, for phucks sake.

Personally I use power service diesel kleen in mine. White bottle in the summer, gray bottle in the winter.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I had a customer with a tow truck back in the 90's. an old gm 6.5. he would eat an injection pump about every 6 months. i hadhim start adding about 6 ounces of marvel mystery oil to a tank of fuel and he never ate another pump. I wouldnt do it on the newer design diesels though that were made with low sulphur fuel in mind.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think the thought behind it is to replace some of the lubricity of the sulfur they took out a few years back. I think it's hogwash in the newer diesel motors that are designed to run on low sulfur fuel.
View Quote

Exactly.  If its a post '07 or so diesel then it is designed to run on ULSD.  If its an '06 or older, then using an additive is probably a good thing.   In my '98 I use Stanadyne Performance Formula to make up for lost lubricity.  In my '11 I add nothing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#10]
My buddy who owns his own trucking company buys it in bulk. He claims it gets him more mileage and lubes the system. He runs it in his 99 F250.  When I owned  my F350 I used clear filtered vegtable oil. There was a noticable difference when I switched tanks, the truck ran smoother, and got better fuel mileage. Smelled like french fries. I knew where it came from and it was tested for water and acid prior to use.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a common rail fuel injection system on my diesel. I run power service in diesel kleen in every tank. I really wouldn't want to risk blowing up my 4k HPFP to see if trans oil is ok. Now I am sure if you have other injection systems it might be ok to try.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:33:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Exactly.  If its a post '07 or so diesel then it is designed to run on ULSD.  If its an '06 or older, then using an additive is probably a good thing.   In my '98 I use Stanadyne Performance Formula to make up for lost lubricity.  In my '11 I add nothing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are also missing the point that your injectors are going to eventually build up with gunk and then they will hang open and then will cook a piston. I would like to avoid that so that's why I run an additive. Diesel is a nasty fuel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know a guy that used a mix of filtered used atf. He had to replace his injectors a few months later. And injector pump a year later. Could be unrelated though. This was on a cucv with the old 6.2L.

View Quote

Yeah, one of the guys who told me this, his injector pump went out. Says it was unrelated.....

Mine is a 2005. Maybe I'll look into a lubricant. Do turbos make a difference in the lubricant?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Could the typically red color of the ATF give enough tint to your fuel to cause you problems if anybody wanted to claim you were using off-road diesel for highway use?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've heard of people adding all kinds of shit to their tank because " a buddy of a buddy's wife's 2nd cousin" told them to.

My take? Why risk such an expensive engine on old wives tales? Go to the damn store and buy some cleaner that is designed to be put in a diesel tank, for phucks sake.

Personally I use power service diesel kleen in mine. White bottle in the summer, gray bottle in the winter.
View Quote

That's what I assumed. Just figured I'd ask the all knowing oz.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#16]
When I worked for Ryder we did a lot of PMs on the tractors.  When we did the oil changes, we pumped the used oil through a RACOR filter system which diluted the used oil with diesel fuel and dumped it right back into the fuel tank on the truck.  We didn't have to pay for oil disposal and they may even have saved a few bucks on fuel costs by burning the used oil.
This was business as usual for years and I never heard of any injector or pump problems.

ETA:  I stopped working for Ryder in '89 or '90,  I don't know what their practice is now.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I would not add anything to diesel fuel on engines manufactured after 2007.....diesel particulate filters, diesel oxidation catalysts, selective catalyst reduction systems do not like and are not designed to perform on anything other than ultra low diesel fuel.   Even biodiesel can harm those systems.  

I have a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Mercedes diesel engine and I have run ULSD since new and I have had no issues.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Thread cutting oil composed of 90% mineral oil and 10% Sulphur seems like a good candidate here.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I would use Marvels before ATF.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just do the grey year round, it doesn't get cold enough down here to worry about icing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#21]
lucas in all my diesels, few gals of kerosene in the cold. mitsu 4cyl box truck, 94 7.3 turbo, 6.2 cucv. they keep on chuggin.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a common rail fuel injection system on my diesel. I run power service in diesel kleen in every tank. I really wouldn't want to risk blowing up my 4k HPFP to see if trans oil is ok. Now I am sure if you have other injection systems it might be ok to try.
View Quote

^This and this.  My 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen has a common rail and I add Diesel Kleen to every tank.  Got 140K+ miles on her now without a hitch.

MANY years ago I owned an '86 Mercedes.  Neighbor of mine was one of the top rated MB mechanics in the country.  He turned me on to ATF in the fuel.  Said the detergent kept the injectors clean and the added lubricity kept them running smooth.  Car had 260K miles on it when I bought it and 400K+ when I donated it.  Never an ounce of problems from the engine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

^This and this.  My 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen has a common rail and I add Diesel Kleen to every tank.  Got 140K+ miles on her now without a hitch.

MANY years ago I owned an '86 Mercedes.  Neighbor of mine was one of the top rated MB mechanics in the country.  He turned me on to ATF in the fuel.  Said the detergent kept the injectors clean and the added lubricity kept them running smooth.  Car had 260K miles on it when I bought it and 400K+ when I donated it.  Never an ounce of problems from the engine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think your ride and mine share fuel injection parts. I might be mistaken though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Only thing I run is TCW-3 ashless 2 stroke oil in my 97' PSD, 1oz per gallon.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would use Marvels before ATF.
View Quote

I wouldn't use either, ATF while it feels slippery is abrasive, MMO, forget it. If i add anything it's from the B&G products line.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I used TCW-3 ashless 2-stroke oil in my old '02 Cummins with the VP44 injector pump.  The lack of lubricating properties in the ultra-low sulfur fuel would eat up the VP44's.  I put a pint in every tank.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#27]
That doesn't even qualify as an old wives tale. That sounds like a recheck's baby momma tale.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Or did you mean 8?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know op

Or did you mean 8?  

I meant what I said. That was the joke
I doubt he will be procuring any 8,5, or 4 either
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#29]
On a road trip in a 1.9L TDI VW, I accidentally put about .8 gallons of GAS in it. Caught myself. Freaked out. Called my mechanic buddy. He said throw a few glugs cheap ATF in it. I filled up the rest with diesel. Car is still going 100k miles later.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#30]
There is just something kind of "woody" about a motor named "PowerStroke"... kind of like Caribou.. woody. woody sort of word...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know op

Or did you mean 8?  

Gotcha.  And getting 8 is even tough.  My base doesn't even use it anymore, jet a is cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#32]
I used Power Service additive in my '04 Duramax.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There is just something kind of "woody" about a motor named "PowerStroke"... kind of like Caribou.. woody. woody sort of word...
View Quote

Much better than some tinny 1.8.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:11:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I just do the grey year round, it doesn't get cold enough down here to worry about icing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, I got that mixed up, white in the winter gray in the summer.

Here I have to abide by that, also I have to keep a bottle of their diesel 911 on hand too, that came in real handy a couple times last winter.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Here I have to abide by that, also I have to keep a bottle of their diesel 911 on hand too, that came in real handy a couple times last winter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can just about imagine how much of a PITA that cold weather can be, this past winter it got so cold there was ice forming on my truck while I was driving down the road while it was raining. Our parish pretty much shut down everything.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Thought you were asking about putting Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms in fuel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I can just about imagine how much of a PITA that cold weather can be, this past winter it got so cold there was ice forming on my truck while I was driving down the road while it was raining. Our parish pretty much shut down everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ice in LA? Noooo!!

Yeah diesels and winter just do not mix. Usually I don't have much of a problem but this past winter my truck gelled 3 times, you're right it is a huge PITA. Taking off the fuel filter in negative temps with ice cold hands, pouring in some 911 and trying to get that SOB spun back on is miserable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Pre 2000 adding ATF to diesel fuel was common. It was a good cheap additive.  Now we all run two stroke in our older trucks for the added lubricity.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ice in LA? Noooo!!

Yeah diesels and winter just do not mix. Usually I don't have much of a problem but this past winter my truck gelled 3 times, you're right it is a huge PITA. Taking off the fuel filter in negative temps with ice cold hands, pouring in some 911 and trying to get that SOB spun back on is miserable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ice in LA? Noooo!!

damn that sucks. Ever thought about wrapping a old heating pad around it on really cold nights?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Two cycle oil in the 06 Duramax. 8oz per tank. Available at Walmart.

I figure it's just a matter of time before the EPA tries to kill off the 2 cycle oil just for this purpose.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#41]
I have been using this stuff for years in my jetta tdi and I have no complaints.   My car runs smoother and the fuel mileage picked up a little.   I wouldn't be surprised if it has ATF in it as it sure smells like it.

http://opti-lube.com/diesel-fuel-improver/xpd-diesel-fuel-improver/xpd-diesel-fuel-improver-product.html
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#42]
damn that sucks. Ever thought about wrapping a old heating pad around it on really cold nights?
View Quote

No, but that is a really good idea. My block heater usually works quite well and haven't had much issues. If it gets as cold this year I may just have to try the heating pad idea. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Two cycle oil in the 06 Duramax. 8oz per tank. Available at Walmart.

I figure it's just a matter of time before the EPA tries to kill off the 2 cycle oil just for this purpose.
View Quote

not going to happen, the reason is that the Etec direct injected 2 stroke outboard is much cleaner than their 4 stroke peers. They specify to run low ash tcw-3. so you will be good to go for a while.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No, but that is a really good idea. My block heater usually works quite well and haven't had much issues. If it gets as cold this year I may just have to try the heating pad idea. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll slap a fancy name on it and charge $150 a pop. lol
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Gotcha.  And getting 8 is even tough.  My base doesn't even use it anymore, jet a is cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me know op

Or did you mean 8?  

Of course it would be illegal but Jet A would run just fine in a modern diesel with an additive such as motor oil to lube it up.  Not that I have any personal experience just sayin.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:27:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I used TCW-3 ashless 2-stroke oil in my old '02 Cummins with the VP44 injector pump.  The lack of lubricating properties in the ultra-low sulfur fuel would eat up the VP44's.  I put a pint in every tank.
View Quote

That's what I did with my 01 cummins too. I did a quart a tank though. I wouldn't do ATF. Get a additive like stanadyne or power service.

J-

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Could the typically red color of the ATF give enough tint to your fuel to cause you problems if anybody wanted to claim you were using off-road diesel for highway use?
View Quote

Have you honestly ever been pulled over and had your fuel inspected by the trooper or witnessed this? Guys in the oilfield talked about this left and right but was always "I knew this one guy one time blah blah blah"
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Of course it would be illegal but Jet A would run just fine in a modern diesel with an additive such as motor oil to lube it up.  Not that I have any personal experience just sayin.
View Quote

Yup.  Our AGE runs off of diesel, JP8, or Jet A.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I have heard as to the reason for doing this. And it was from a shady trucker too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#50]
B20 is proven to be more beneficial than any additive.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top