Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Same things a BB has to defend against and armor doesn't make you survivable against even current threats, so the BBN doesn't buy you anything there.  What the carrier does give you is the chance to outstick the threat. That kind of offensive capability is something that the surface navy hasn't shown much interest in until extremely recently.

View Quote
Well, yea cause the surface Navy seems like it doesn't do a lot more than justify it's existence, and support ground forces after the Amphibs are already in action.

Plus armor always makes things more survivable.  Carrier gets a few holes poked in the deck, it's out of action.  OR, look at the Bonhomme Richard.  They fucked up redoing the flight deck now it's down again while they re-coat it.

Also, one thing I wonder about, a lot of modern weapons are designed to defeat modern ships...  I.E. torpedo's detonate under a ships keel so they lift up, break dropping into the void rather than trying to penetrated directly...  But Iowa class ships were built a LOT differently than modern ships.  

There's an interesting write up about it I'm trying to track down which is hinting that a lot of modern weapons are less effective against Iowas than modern ships.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

She's a big girl by todays standards. I did not realize how big she actually was.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The USS Zumwalt is big: It is 610 feet long, has an 11,000-square foot flight deck, and displaces 14,564 tons of water. That’s about 100 feet longer than other destroyers, as well a water displacement about 50 percent larger than the next biggest destroyer on the water, the Military Times reported.

She's a big girl by todays standards. I did not realize how big she actually was.

With half the crew of a DDG...
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got it!

Mark 7 gun + decommissioned Ohio class = SSBBN.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The USS Zumwalt is big: It is 610 feet long, has an 11,000-square foot flight deck, and displaces 14,564 tons of water. That’s about 100 feet longer than other destroyers, as well a water displacement about 50 percent larger than the next biggest destroyer on the water, the Military Times reported.

Which has GOT to suck ass when it comes to watch standing and hitting libbo port...

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Which has GOT to suck ass when it comes to watch standing and hitting libbo port...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And firefighting...with a portion of the crew wounded.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The PRC is building a similarly sized surface combatant.  I posted a link to an article a couple of months ago.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, yea cause the surface Navy seems like it doesn't do a lot more than justify it's existence, and support ground forces after the Amphibs are already in action.

Plus armor always makes things more survivable.  Carrier gets a few holes poked in the deck, it's out of action.  OR, look at the Bonhomme Richard.  They fucked up redoing the flight deck now it's down again while they re-coat it.

Also, one thing I wonder about, a lot of modern weapons are designed to defeat modern ships...  I.E. torpedo's detonate under a ships keel so they lift up, break dropping into the void rather than trying to penetrated directly...  But Iowa class ships were built a LOT differently than modern ships.  

There's an interesting write up about it I'm trying to track down which is hinting that a lot of modern weapons are less effective against Iowas than modern ships.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same things a BB has to defend against and armor doesn't make you survivable against even current threats, so the BBN doesn't buy you anything there.  What the carrier does give you is the chance to outstick the threat. That kind of offensive capability is something that the surface navy hasn't shown much interest in until extremely recently.

A mk 48 HWT would not be kind to a BB
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've... been saying that for a long time... just not in this thread.  

More money for cheap  battleships to turn defended beaches into undefended beaches.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean think about it pragmatically...  what do carriers  do with the bulk of their time...  

Sit at the pier undergoing countless overhauls.

It's quaint that people think a carrier is survivable or even a necessary instrument of national power.

Battleships are not the answer either. Battleships would be the new carriers as the vessel of choice for contractors to bilk the tax payer out of billions of dollars.

Billions is still less than trillions.

If you're that concerned about saving money, we should strike DDG-1000 and all other NSFS requirements for amphibious assaults of defended beaches that will never happen.  Could preserve resources for combat capability that will actually be used.
I've... been saying that for a long time... just not in this thread.  

More money for cheap  battleships to turn defended beaches into undefended beaches.

LPD hulls with 8" guns.  

<ducks for cover>
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I didn't get to play GQ OOD or qualify as TAO because the SWOs also were not capable of running the ship's tactical drills so I got to be the ITT lead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What can I say?  On SAIPAN, the Special Details OOD was... me.  Just me.  ALL of them - GQ, Cond IA, Sea & Anchor, UNREP, whatever.  Also had the permanent midwatch, because the aviator Captain liked to sleep at night.

I didn't get to play GQ OOD or qualify as TAO because the SWOs also were not capable of running the ship's tactical drills so I got to be the ITT lead.

We normally didn't have a TAO on SAIPAN... And how much is there to do as TAO on a 'Gator?  "CIWS to AUTO! Launch chaff, reseed every 30 seconds!"  Done.  We had BPDMS, but good luck with that thing.  Only did station a TAO watch once - when we were off Lebanon for the TWA hijacking - and OPS almost had the Stinger det shoot down a Cessna with NBC News.  The were busting the CTF restricted airspace though, so would have served them right.

Perhaps if LaSalle spent less time in port in Bahrain, they would have been more proficient at that steaming stuff.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ahem...

I beg to differ.
At least do not paint all Naval Aviation communities with such a broad brush.

The number 1-5 students in the SWOS Tactics Phase in my class were all P-3 TACCOs there to become CVN TAOs.
A 300 knot brain in a 20 knot world.

MPA has to know ASW, ASUW, ISR (PHOTOINT, ELINT, RADINT), MIW, SAR, Strike, Coordinated Operations, Combined Operations, etc.
A P-3 Mission Commander is a detachment OIC as a LT operating from foreign countries independently and running a det of 20-40 people.
In the air you're managing an 11 man crew with widely varied position responsibilities and duties.
Developing a coordinated plan for the sensors and comms set up and employment, directing the flight station, reporting to other units., controlling several helos in a coordinated prosecution, weaponeering, navigation, flight rules, international and martime law, acoustics, radar propagation, tactics, etc., etc.

Just for starters.

On the GW the "Ship Driver of the Year" for the Atlantic was a P-3 Pilot.

Hell - PACCOM is a P-3 guy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's because the warfare area responsibilities of aviators and submariners are significantly narrower than it is for surface warfare.

Being thoughtful about it , what starts as an ASW problem can become an AAW and ASW problem very quickly.  Submarines always have a couple big advantages - one, you can't see the sneaky bastards, and two, they are much more aware of and able to exploit the sonar conditions than are surface ships.

Aviators - what can you say about them?  All the arrogance of the AF's Zipper Suited Sun Gods, with an extra dose for landing on a moving postage stamp.   The biggest thing for Aviators is "being a good stick"  Not reponsible for anything outside their own cockpit until they hit LCDR.  When I was a frocked LT, I had two aviator LCDRs as JOOD and JOOW in my watch section.  One commented to me "this Shoe shit is hard!"  The concept of managing abridge watch team, and the ship's routine and granting permission to the EOOW to do all manner of things from changing the steam and electrical plant configuration to purifying lube oil, transferring fuel from storage to service tanks, while monitoring 4 radio circuits and tracking contacts, and at the same time maneuvering not only our ship, but the entire formation, was a bit over whelming.

Ahem...

I beg to differ.
At least do not paint all Naval Aviation communities with such a broad brush.

The number 1-5 students in the SWOS Tactics Phase in my class were all P-3 TACCOs there to become CVN TAOs.
A 300 knot brain in a 20 knot world.

MPA has to know ASW, ASUW, ISR (PHOTOINT, ELINT, RADINT), MIW, SAR, Strike, Coordinated Operations, Combined Operations, etc.
A P-3 Mission Commander is a detachment OIC as a LT operating from foreign countries independently and running a det of 20-40 people.
In the air you're managing an 11 man crew with widely varied position responsibilities and duties.
Developing a coordinated plan for the sensors and comms set up and employment, directing the flight station, reporting to other units., controlling several helos in a coordinated prosecution, weaponeering, navigation, flight rules, international and martime law, acoustics, radar propagation, tactics, etc., etc.

Just for starters.

On the GW the "Ship Driver of the Year" for the Atlantic was a P-3 Pilot.

Hell - PACCOM is a P-3 guy.

Yeah, OK... P-3 guys get a pass.  Sorta.  We had a P-3 guy as COMMO - he was genuinely shocked that he wasn't going to get per diem on a 6-month Med cruise.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Did Dport get banned? Is he MIA or dead and I missed it? I figure even he could see the bat signal by now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

That's a lot what I was reading about, capitol ships like Iowa's and carriers don't take torpedo hits like smaller boats.

There's an interesting damage assessment of the USS Arkansas after being hit by the baker bomb (subsea atomic tests) stating that even though it was flipped in the air but the boat was more or less "intact" and in one piece.  That was a 1910 built Dreadnaught, and the Iowa's were built even stronger.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/366764.pdf

So, while I agree a Mk48 would not be kind to a Battleship, I don't think it would have the same catastrophic effects that people have come to expect from seeing footage of them hitting smaller much less robust vessels.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:47:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
LPD hulls with 8" guns.  

<ducks for cover>

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

LPD hulls with 8" guns.  

<ducks for cover>

You know...  I just read another thing today about why the Navy should use 8" guns but the write up might have been by the Navy equivalent of "Sparky" Though it made a good point about farther range, better payload capacity, and the ability to fire sabot 155mm ammo.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#14]
everything is a good idea.
but its zero sum.

gotta run with your best ideas.

or, in the current environment, idea.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:53:45 AM EDT
[#15]
When was the last time the Navy used gunfire support?

I remember they shelled the crap out of 2 Iranian oil platforms in the late 80s.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Perhaps if LaSalle spent less time in port in Bahrain, they would have been more proficient at that steaming stuff.

View Quote

In my 2 year FDNF tour, we spent ~40% of our time in homeport (not Bahrain).  Lots of underway time.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's a lot what I was reading about, capitol ships like Iowa's and carriers don't take torpedo hits like smaller boats.

There's an interesting damage assessment of the USS Arkansas after being hit by the baker bomb (subsea atomic tests) stating that even though it was flipped in the air but the boat was more or less "intact" and in one piece.  That was a 1910 built Dreadnaught, and the Iowa's were built even stronger.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/366764.pdfhttp://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/366764.pdf

http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/01/50/43/02_big.jpg

So, while I agree a Mk48 would not be kind to a Battleship, I don't think it would have the same catastrophic effects that people have come to expect from seeing footage of them hitting smaller much less robust vessels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/366764.pdfhttp://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/366764.pdf

You don't understand how a Mk48 works. It uses the weight of the ship to destroy the ship. A battleship would fare poorly. You may be better suited commenting on things your are knowledgable of...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

One of the nice things about being an aviator (former) is that I can do more than one thing at a time, Shoe.
View Quote

I haven't seen you be able to do more than one thing at a time yet. Maybe you should focus on one thing and be good at it before you start on the second thing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did Dport get banned? Is he MIA or dead and I missed it? I figure even he could see the bat signal by now.
View Quote

I'm a bit worried about him.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I haven't seen you be able to do more than one thing at a time yet. Maybe you should focus on one thing and be good at it before you start on the second thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the nice things about being an aviator (former) is that I can do more than one thing at a time, Shoe.

Maybe that's because you're a shoe and only able to focus on one of the many things that I'm doing
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

gotta run with your best ideas.

View Quote

Which have to do with the red sun of Afghanistan...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's working for the man in his new job.  Too busy to play these days.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your area of expertise? And before you wonder why I'm asking about you and not the thread at hand, knowledge of your background helps color the conversation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You don't understand how a Mk48 works. It uses the weight of the ship to destroy the ship. A battleship would fare poorly. You may be better suited commenting on things your are knowledgable of...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

It doesn't use the weight of the ship, it uses the upheaval and subsequent cavity to bend the ship and snap it in half.  That's why it works really well on smaller ships, and especially well on ships that can't stand up to sagging and hogging and the sides blow out and fracture folding up the strength deck.

Yet, Capitol ships like Battleships are built differently.  Not only is there multiple strength decks, but the armor sides keep them from sagging and hogging out like a "normal" ship would.  

Kind of goes a long ways to protection....
Also.... if you think weight breaks ships, especially the ships own wight, explain the Arkansas being flipped hundreds of feet in the air, and subsequently being pushed under and sank from a water column thousands of feet high crashing down on it capsizing but leaving the hull nearly intact...
Also, even when used against more commonly designed vessels, it's not like Mk-48's instantly destroy ships...  there's an economy of scale to deal with as well... the larger the ship, the more hits it's going to take to get anything done fast.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Also, even when used against more commonly designed vessels, it's not like Mk-48's instantly destroy ships...  there's an economy of scale to deal with as well... the larger the ship, the more hits it's going to take to get anything done fast.

View Quote

Are you going to armor the radars and datalink antennas that allow your BBN to engage other targets?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Are you going to armor the radars and datalink antennas that allow your BBN to engage other targets?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Going to armor aircraft and helo's on Carriers and Ambhibs so they can still fly?

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Going to armor aircraft and helo's on Carriers and Ambhibs so they can still fly?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're the one asserting that armor is going to make the BBN survivable and effective.  

We don't armor up fighters any more because, while armor was effective against small caliber machine guns and cannons, it's not effective against modern air-to-air missiles and the limited amount of extra protection that the armor provides is not worth the cost in speed, maneuverabilty, range, and payload.

My position is that surface ship armor is no longer effective against a modern threat i.e. a supersonic ASCM with 500kg+ shaped charge warhead.  Even if you were able to design armor thick enough to withstand a mach 2.5-mach 3 missile with a large, shaped charge warhead, you can't armor the systems you need to shoot the bad guys and protect yourself from getting hit again.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My position is that surface ship armor is no longer effective against a modern threat i.e. a supersonic ASCM with 500kg+ shaped charge warhead.  Even if you were able to design armor thick enough to withstand a mach 2.5-mach 3 missile with a large, shaped charge warhead, you can't armor the systems you need to shoot the bad guys and protect yourself from getting hit again.
View Quote

So basically, the same future tech that might actually make a battleship viable again would also turn into a tomb....
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You're the one asserting that armor is going to make the BBN survivable and effective.  

We don't armor up fighters any more because, while armor was effective against small caliber machine guns and cannons, it's not effective against modern air-to-air missiles and the limited amount of extra protection that the armor provides is not worth the cost in speed, maneuverabilty, range, and payload.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

In which case a Battleship is no worse off than any other vessel...  that could be hit by the same weapon (well except for that whole armor citadel thing mitigating damage better).

Not to mention Battleships can take a hit from nukes a lot better.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So basically, the same future tech that might actually make a battleship viable again would also turn into a tomb....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tech that would make a battleship viable again:  time travel back to 1914.  

Battleships were reduced to a niche platform by WWII.  That niche was shore bombardment ISO of an amphibious assault against a heavily defended beachhead.  Something that the USMC doctrine of STOM infers that do not intend to execute in the future.  BBs were also useful as a flaghsip because their superstructure allowed for higher mounting of antennae and more reliable, longer range communications - no longer relevant due to SATCOM.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So by extension, that would mean any surface ship would be a tomb, right?

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Battleships were reduced to a niche platform by WWII.  That niche was shore bombardment ISO of an amphibious assault against a heavily defended beachhead.  Something that the USMC doctrine of STOM infers that do not intend to execute in the future.  BBs were also useful as a flaghsip because their superstructure allowed for higher mounting of antennae and more reliable, longer range communications - no longer relevant due to SATCOM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good thing satellites are infallible, and can't be jammed or intercepted and destroyed.

Also, as mentioned earlier, with new weapons comes new abilities to shoot farther inland.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

operating in squadrons and groups, is saving a 5 billion dollar ship, even if out of the fight, worth it?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if that ship doesn't armor its radar so it can't see...
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good thing satellites are infallible, and can't be jammed or intercepted and destroyed  
View Quote

Is SATCOM more enduring than long haul terrestrial comms?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

operating in squadrons and groups, is saving a 5 billion dollar ship, even if out of the fight, worth it?
View Quote

Just tell me how the BBN will bring more capability per dollar...

The discussion is not whether or not the carrier is vulnerable.  It is.   The discussion is whether or not a BB(N) is as/more capable at the same/less cost.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not arguing that, I am asking what level of survivability is desirable.  There is staying in the fight, and then there is salvaging the ship itself.

Primarily against ASCMs  I don't think any ship is surviving a torpedo under the keel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I am not arguing that, I am asking what level of survivability is desirable.  There is staying in the fight, and then there is salvaging the ship itself.
View Quote

Every ounce of armor added is one less ounce of sensor, weapon, fuel, or person that the ship can carry.

In WWII, armor was effective against some/most of the threats, at least from certain impact angles.  Is that still the case?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Primarily against ASCMs  I don't think any ship is surviving a torpedo under the keel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$5B worth of sensors and weapons buys you a lot more survivability than $5B worth of armor IMO.

The USS Stark survived two missile hits and was returned to service.   If even light unarmored ships can survive a hit, and a hit on an armored ship is still a mission kill, how much is the armor worth?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:  $5B worth of sensors and weapons buys you a lot more survivability than $5B worth of armor IMO.

The USS Stark survived two missile hits and was returned to service.   If even light unarmored ships can survive a hit, and a hit on an armored ship is still a mission kill, how much is the armor worth?
View Quote

Tens of thousands of votes in your district for being the congressman that brought the nostalgia of battleships back in service over the determined resistance of the entire naval establishment?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh I love the idea of bringing back the battleships, I just don't think armor is the reason why.  If anything, I think a BB is LESS survivable than a modern destroyer/cruiser since penetration into a powder magazine is a guaranteed loss with all or almost all hands going down with it.  A single GBU-28 might consistently do the trick against a BB, and if it couldn't I'm sure a heavier bomb that could would be easily developed.

What I would do is re-sleeve three of the barrels into 16" smooth bore cannons that launch sub-caliber sabot shells at Mach 5 out to 100+ nmi.  This would fill the role of rapid response fire support for troops in contact or high value targets.  Then use the other six rifles for shelling the crap out of shorelines for the Marines.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Every ounce of armor added is one less ounce of sensor, weapon, fuel, or person that the ship can carry.

In WWII, armor was effective against some/most of the threats, at least from certain impact angles.  Is that still the case?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we salvaged cole and stark.

so there is some level of survivability.
how they would do against moderns?  Don't know.
It would appear the solution now is, "Don't get hit."
Streetfighter, if I read it correctly, argued that isn't an option.  
We have too few ships, that are too expensive to have expendable ships.  LCS isn't streetfighter.  Can we get enough active defenses to counter?  I don't think so.
Ships are overweight now, agreed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What I would do is re-sleeve three of the barrels into 16" smooth bore cannons that launch sub-caliber sabot shells at Mach 5 out to 100+ nmi.  This would fill the role of rapid response fire support for troops in contact or high value targets.  Then use the other six rifles for shelling the crap out of shorelines for the Marines.
View Quote

Ballistic dispersion of an unguided round at 100+ nm is  __________

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
[

We have too few ships, that are too expensive to have expendable ships.  LCS isn't streetfighter.  Can we get enough active defenses to counter?  I don't think so.
View Quote

The key is to kill your enemy before he kills you.  If your enemy gets the first shot, defeat it and kill him while doing so.  Same as it's always been.  We just can't defeat his shot by absorbing it any more.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

INS/GPS for cannon shells is a well-developed technology, and by using sub-caliber projectiles you get rid of the expense and complexity of folding fins.  I don't know if semi-active laser is feasible for a projectile that fast, but it would be nice to have.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

INS/GPS for cannon shells is a well-developed technology, and by using sub-caliber projectiles you get rid of the expense and complexity of folding fins.  I don't know if semi-active laser is feasible for a projectile that fast, but it would be nice to have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$53K per shell for Excalibur and that's to get to a max range of 14 miles.

A shell that's going to get to 100+ nm is going to have to be much more hardened against heat and acceleration because those both going to be much greater to get out to that range.  That's rail gun territory, unless you're talking about rocket-assisted projectiles which wasn't mentioned in the quoted post. Also, if that shell is going to get to 100+ nm, it's going to have to go very high.  Like into GPS jamming high, if the threat country has that capability.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

A shell that's going to get to 100+ nm is going to have to be much more hardened against heat and acceleration because those both going to be much greater to get out to that range.  That's rail gun territory, unless you're talking about rocket-assisted projectiles which wasn't mentioned in the quoted post. Also, if that shell is going to get to 100+ nm, it's going to have to go very high.  Like into GPS jamming high, if the threat country has that capability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming linear acceleration, M982 exiting a 200" M777 barrel at 827 m/s will be the same force as 1650 m/s out of an 800" long 16"/50 naval cannon.  A base bleed projectile with that muzzle velocity should be able to reach ~100nmi.  A 500lb projectile at that velocity would be roughly equal to the muzzle energy of the 16" gun firing an AP projectile.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The key is to kill your enemy before he kills you.  If your enemy gets the first shot, defeat it and kill him while doing so.  Same as it's always been.  We just can't defeat his shot by absorbing it any more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Any enemy worth a fuck isn't going to have a first shot.  Its going to be a salvo from hell.
Staying power was still part of the equation along with defensive power.
the other grumpy black shoe was very generous to give me a spare copy of Hughes' book.  Which, along with Corbit and Mahan are my limit of knowledge.

Kill your enemy before he kills you.  But don't orbit a straight.  
we are going to get ass raped.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Assuming linear acceleration, M982 exiting a 200" M777 barrel at 827 m/s will be the same force as 1650 m/s out of an 800" long 16"/50 naval cannon.  A base bleed projectile with that muzzle velocity should be able to reach ~100nmi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Assuming linear acceleration, M982 exiting a 200" M777 barrel at 827 m/s will be the same force as 1650 m/s out of an 800" long 16"/50 naval cannon.  A base bleed projectile with that muzzle velocity should be able to reach ~100nmi

And probably miss at the end.
Either its dumb and you are doing some "how did the world begin" type math or its smart and its going to spoofed/jammed/or fooled just like a more effective ASCM
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top