BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This makes me sad. International law does not indicate that swarming small boats are illegal. You seem to be totally unfamiliar with International Maritime Laws. Perhaps you should read more and post less.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.
I guess the question is, "why?"
Orbiting aircraft would be a lot safer than 127mm going off all over the place.

International law would indicate that swarming small boats with missiles would be illegal, too.  Yet, here we are.

This makes me sad. International law does not indicate that swarming small boats are illegal. You seem to be totally unfamiliar with International Maritime Laws. Perhaps you should read more and post less.

With missiles would seem to be the defining characteristics.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Something akin to the Russian RBU system... just a cluster of short-range rockets, each boosting a BLU-108 or two would be ideal.... cheap and small enough to put on damn near any vessel.
View Quote

If the BLU-108 TDD can detect and fuse on the target.  FIAC are faster and more maneuverable than the target BLU-108 was designed to kill.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If the BLU-108 TDD can detect and fuse on the target.  FIAC are faster and more maneuverable than the target BLU-108 was designed to kill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something akin to the Russian RBU system... just a cluster of short-range rockets, each boosting a BLU-108 or two would be ideal.... cheap and small enough to put on damn near any vessel.

Maybe, but not by much really... and certainly not as fast and agile as other things guided munitions can hit these days.  Hot motors on the water have to be really easy IR targets.  And small boats should be a much "softer" kill than MBTs.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.
I guess the question is, "why?"
Orbiting aircraft would be a lot safer than 127mm going off all over the place.

International law would indicate that swarming small boats with missiles would be illegal, too.  Yet, here we are.

Most war ships carry missiles or torpedoes. Being armed does not constitute hostile intent.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

US Navy ships have missiles and routinely approach within 12 miles of the Iranian coast when transiting the SoH.  Would Iran be justified in engaging them?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Could we park one of these close enough to Syria to put the hurt on ISIS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVvEPTYrcXA

View Quote

Only one way to find out.

I'm game.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Until we 1. Place more emphasis on major caliber gun fire proficiency and 2. Provide resources so that knowledge doesnt go to seed this capability will continue to stagnate. Everybody oohs and ahhs missiles and automated systems, aint nothing hollywood about a bunch of squids in a dark room reading charts 10 nm off the coast. Nor would it be productive to field a new uber projo but not allocate any for training, like they did with HE/ET and KE/ET and will probably do with MFF.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Everybody oohs and ahhs missiles and automated systems, aint nothing hollywood about a bunch of squids in a dark room reading charts 10 nm off the coast. Nor would it be productive to field a new uber projo but not allocate any for training, like they did with HE/ET and KE/ET and will probably do with MFF.

View Quote

With valid shot criteria you don't need to burn as much NCEA, but I agree with you that NCEA is necessary for guns and the surface community has not been effective in its approach.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  The real world experience of the US Navy tends to disagree.

See Storm Center by Will Rogers where Iraqi IRANIAN boghammers gave the 5" 54 calibers where the USS Elmer Montgomery a Knox Class frigate emptied a good portion of her magazine at the small craft without fending off the attack and called in the USS Vincennes for assistance. Seems the small craft are small enough they don't present much of a radar signature and nimble enough to avoid the canon. Following that event the USN put Bushmaster 20 mm cannons and additional .50 caliber machine guns on the decks.
View Quote

Seems the Montgomery claims 2 small boats sunk.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]
This does tend to help mitigate the FIAC issue:

http://www.msc.navy.mil/publications/pressrel/press13/press26.htm
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

US Navy ships have missiles and routinely approach within 12 miles of the Iranian coast when transiting the SoH.  Would Iran be justified in engaging them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

depending on the circumstances, yes.  As you well know.
If after the Vicennes, it would be hard to argue.

But I am starting to appreciate the complexity, while still not understanding why straight transit by aircraft is a requirement for a naval choke point.
Is that only for Hormuz or does that apply to any straight?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But I am starting to appreciate the complexity, while still not understanding why straight transit by aircraft is a requirement for a naval choke point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google. Do you know how to use it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_passage
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't get me wrong..........

I have no problem with finding a cheaper solution.

But sometimes, our enemies (and their support structure) needs some (non-nuclear) convincing of this sort.......

and/or maybe this sort of mood changing motivation.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  depending on the circumstances, yes.  As you well know.

Hotlinking.  Do 14'ers know how to do it?

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, fuckin hostile crowd.

It's like the honorary SWO tryouts or something.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any Strait

ETA - there is an exception for helicopters operating in the vicinity of transiting ships for safety purposes
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe shoeh8ter is really shoel0v3r
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#18]

It does bring capability, but not as much as you might think since its systems are not optimized for the maritime environment.  A plus is that, as an attack helicopter, it has enhanced survivability equipment compared to multi-mission USN aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he makes dport seem sunny and happy.
I like him already.
black shoes really are a grumpy bunch.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It does bring capability, but not as much as you might think since its systems are not optimized for the maritime environment.  A plus is that, as an attack helicopter, it has enhanced survivability equipment compared to multi-mission USN aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

don't the brits have navalized apaches?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Bottom line - old school would be effective here.  Line the ships with 40mm, 20mm, and 50 cal, but ships don't have the excess crew that they used to have.  Also, employment of higher end weapons will have "adverse effects" on crews manning crew served weapons, especially say, IVO a VLS or 5" gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they embark them on ships and they have folding rotor heads, but that doesn't mean their combat systems are optimized for the maritime environment versus overland.  Need to ask Vito.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

he makes dport seem sunny and happy.
I like him already.
black shoes really are a grumpy bunch.
View Quote

Good point.

Sh8, are you maybe an OSCS (ret) who hates SWOs?  Or are you a shoe who hates everyone, not a hater of blackshoes, but rather a blackshoe who just plain hates?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bottom line - old school would be effective here.  Line the ships with 40mm, 20mm, and 50 cal, but ships don't have the excess crew that they used to have.  Also, employment of higher end weapons will have "adverse effects" on crews manning crew served weapons, especially say, IVO a VLS or 5" gun.
View Quote

no shit.
how many guns of all calibers on a WW2 Battleship or Destroyer?

question becomes how much standoff do their salvos require?

Streetfighter made a lot of sense then and now.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

no shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no shit.

Look at the difference between BBs or CGs fresh out of the yard in 1938-1939 versus 1944-1945 when the Navy learned painful lessons about air defense.  If you can throw up a wall of lead from 4k-5k yards in, that's plenty of standoff for FIAC.  Let helos or SM-2 kill FAC
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Seems like a hellfire/brimstone launcher or laser guided Zuni would be the ticket.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think they embark them on ships and they have folding rotor heads, but that doesn't mean their combat systems are optimized for the maritime environment versus overland.  Need to ask Vito.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The British Apaches have the folding rotors, nothing more. The Brits simply wash the Apaches a lot with fresh water while embarked to keep them from melting.
They didn't develop any extra software or equipment for Air to Sea fighting either.
So it's still just specialized for land attack.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Holy cats, you Navy guys really get into it. Sounds like an F-35 thread. Carry on, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
aviation assets to defeat FIACs

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

helicopters.
fixed wing equivalents (if only)
I am sure you fly around and at least do the scouting.

What the hell else are army apaches doing flying on navy boats?

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Seems like a hellfire/brimstone launcher or laser guided Zuni would be the ticket.
View Quote

Not optimal for reasons I won't discuss.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

AirSea Battle

Like I said, the Apaches do some things better than Navy 'hawk variants.  The also do some things worse.  Not every ship has helos.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

AirSea Battle

Like I said, the Apaches do some things better than Navy 'hawk variants.  The also do some things worse.  Not every ship has helos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AirSea Battle

Search for relevance
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Bring em back....
...bigger....

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Search for relevance
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AirSea Battle

Search for relevance

I omitted that out of courtesy, but the Apache does have game.  It would have more game with some tweaks for the environment (terrain for the shotgunners ).
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:36:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Just put goal keeper on everything and be done with it
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't know a damn thing about Navy except that you all talk funny.

I suggest you mount  a bunch of 120mm Abrams turrets firing XM1028 120mm Canister
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I omitted that out of courtesy, but the Apache does have game.  It would have more game with some tweaks for the environment (terrain for the shotgunners ).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AirSea Battle

Search for relevance

AH-64s are a good piece of  gear.  But I thin the real advantage for non-feet dry operations are crews who shoot things all the time; a 60 based direct action penetrator would probably be a better fit
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

AH-64s are a good piece of  gear.  But I thin the real advantage for non-feet dry operations are crews who shoot things all the time; a 60 based direct action penetrator would probably be a better fit
View Quote

Need the survivability gear of a DAP/64/Cobra and fire and forget, high Pk weapons.  That's all.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They aren't known as "Naval Gang Bang" for nothing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to watch movies in ANGLICO's berthing area, that was enough for me

They aren't known as "Naval Gang Bang" for nothing.

2nd ANGLICO 82-85.  Most impressive watching the Jersey hit the Al-m (alphabet) hills in Beirut in 84 and we are not gay, and couldn't be in the Carter-Reagan era.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Need the survivability gear of a DAP/64/Cobra and fire and forget, high Pk weapons.  That's all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh - capacity too
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#42]
For FIAC work, the Brimstone missile would fit the bill perfectly.
It's currently being developed into a ship launched variant and because the missile can be fired in fire and forget mode, it is just what the doctor ordered for ships that are too small/inexpensive for AEGIS.

For NGFS, the OP's article is right. The MK71 8" gun project needs to be brought out of mothballs and finished.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

It would appear to.  I'd like to see some more realistic testing that what's on the you tubes.

Brinstone has the nice ability to go on TACAIR too.  AGM-114 ain't got time of dat.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The US Navy had decided that Harpoon and Slam type missiles trump guns for shelling type operations. It does cost over a million dollars a shot though.

For incoming defense they have Phalanx. Which has never defeated an incoming anti-ship type weapon, like it was designed to do.

But it has failed in action. And it has a long list of friendly fire kills.

View Quote

In an operational test I conducted, a Spru-can killed the last of the BQM-34E/Ts, supersonic, low altitude, with the 5-inch gun shooting VT-FRAG.

Phalanx works very well too (as the first line of damage control) - provided it is turned on, and in Auto  You can't count as a "failure" if the firing integrity key is out and the sector holdback tool is in place, or if it is in manual control mode and the operator is too slow - or in the case of STARK, in the head.

We determined the real key to point defense against supersonic sea skimming ASCMs is multiple layers of defense.... at the time, Sparrow, RAM, Guns, CIWS.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

helicopters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

helicopters.

Not reactive enough.
Great when you are transiting the SoH ad are set up defensively, but what do you do the other 99% of the time.
In the Gulf and GOO threats can sneak up on you very easily.
I need something I can turn on NOW! and engage a threat.

Thought process should be similar to why you CCW as a civilian.
The time window from threat recognition to defensive action is very short.

e.g., High volume fire KEET rounds, Block 1B CIWS.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

cheaper aircraft, with longer loiter operating from airfield ubiquitous in that region at least during Phase zero.

Navy has C-130s.  Harvest HAWK?

P8s have lots of nifty shit.

Or, trust to the AF to provide.  ASB!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not every ship has them

USN helos are not optimized for that job

Leakers happen

TACAIR in the SoH (Phase 0) is an iffy prospect

Integrated fires FTW

cheaper aircraft, with longer loiter operating from airfield ubiquitous in that region at least during Phase zero.

Navy has C-130s.  Harvest HAWK?

P8s have lots of nifty shit.

Or, trust to the AF to provide.  ASB!

Trust the AF?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Better choices exist
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It would appear to.  I'd like to see some more realistic testing that what's on the you tubes.

Brinstone has the nice ability to go on TACAIR too.  AGM-114 ain't got time of dat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Navy is already working on getting these added the F-18, so the ability to swat Chinese aluminum FACs is a given.
I have a hard time imagining NavAir will let the missile into inventory if it doesn't work.
They seem to still take their job seriously, unlike the SW side of the Navy.

The real question is if the SW side of Navy will be willing to eat crow, admit the original LCS concept is dead and reduce the tonnage/space for the modular section on the LCS so as to be able to pack a decent number of these missiles on board.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:  Not reactive enough.
Great when you are transiting the SoH ad are set up defensively, but what do you do the other 99% of the time.
In the Gulf and GOO threats can sneak up on you very easily.
I need something I can turn on NOW! and engage a threat.

Thought process should be similar to why you CCW as a civilian.
The time window from threat recognition to defensive action is very short.

View Quote

You don't overwatch on Craig's List deals, bro?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top