Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 8/26/2014 1:35:01 AM EDT
Pulitzer Prize finalist photo journalist Mary Calvert is revered for putting a spotlight on humanitarian issues that are ignored or that people are not aware of.

While her work - centered on women and children in crisis - has taken her all over the world, from the Democratic Republic of Congo to India, her latest assignment is much closer to home.

The former Washington Times photographer has compiled a photo essay that attempts to expose the widespread sexual harrassment of women in the American military that is going unreported.

Calvert says that an estimated 26,000 rapes and sexual assaults took place in the armed forces last year, however only one in seven victims reported their attacks.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2733404/We-lost-jobs-reporting-raped-Haunting-photo-essay-depicts-suffering-lives-women-victims-sexual-violence-U-S-military.html#ixzz3BUONZdfG
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2733404/We-lost-jobs-reporting-raped-Haunting-photo-essay-depicts-suffering-lives-women-victims-sexual-violence-U-S-military.html
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:45:06 AM EDT
[#2]
This will not go well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#3]
No more SAPR training please.  

You don't have to go to your chain of command.  Tell the police, chaplain, medic, friend, SARC, VA, etc.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:46:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not that the reporter has an agenda or anything
View Quote

Does it matter? If there claims are true what did the chain of command do about it?  Would you want your daughter put through this?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:53:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

What is her agenda other than the subject of the article?  

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:57:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To further the "All men are rapists" mantra

To further the " the military creates monsters " mantra

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:57:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well focusing on past cases and not talking about what improvements have been made in the system.   There are numerous avenues for someone to report that doesnt involve their chain of command but instead of highlighting how the military is working to fix things its all negative.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#8]
26,000 rapes and sexual assaults?  In one year?

WTF...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#9]
And just think now that the .gov is telling the .mil that they will allow females into combat arms how the sexually oppressed men will handle themselves.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:03:04 AM EDT
[#10]
SAPR down days are a waste of training days.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:27:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I'm calling bs on the article.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:48:23 AM EDT
[#12]
LOL.  I call BS too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:52:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had one attempt in Basra while I was there.  The female dropped, rolled away, and came up chambering a round in her M9.  

The two attackers scampered and she reported it at the BDOC.  We spent the next week in mandatory classes about how rape is bad, mkay....

I think if anyone had found those fucks, they wouldve killed them over the classes alone.

Some dudes are rapey.  You can't unmake that.  All you can do is make wimmenz less rapable and stomp the shit out of rapey types when you find em.  This article is am attempt to smear every swinging fick in the Army as a rapist.   It is a sexist, shameful hack job.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:58:24 AM EDT
[#14]
That's a lot of rape.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This will not go well.
View Quote

I concur.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:13:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:14:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Some dudes are rapey.  You can't unmake that.  All you can do is make wimmenz less rapable and stomp the shit out of rapey types when you find em.  This article is am attempt to smear every swinging fick in the Army as a rapist.  It is a sexist, shameful hack job.
View Quote

I thought this was a pretty balanced view down the bolded.  I read thru the article three times and didn't see that part.  How about helping a sister out?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

26,000 rapes go un reported? how is that number figured out?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:21:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
She has written about women raped in Congo, suffering from fistula in Ethiopia, the abortion of female fetuses in India, oppressed women in Nepal and Tibet, women in Pakistan trying to learn to read etc. You think she took this project on thinking "Let's see if there really is a problem with sexual abuse in the military and let's get an honest assessment of how widespread it is"?    

I'm not making light of the suffering of any of the women in her photos, including abused service members, but she went out not to find the truth, but to find the story she wanted to find.

Very talented lady, cool photos of AF rescue squad
http://maryfcalvert.com/guardian-angels#1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She has written about women raped in Congo, suffering from fistula in Ethiopia, the abortion of female fetuses in India, oppressed women in Nepal and Tibet, women in Pakistan trying to learn to read etc. You think she took this project on thinking "Let's see if there really is a problem with sexual abuse in the military and let's get an honest assessment of how widespread it is"?    

I'm not making light of the suffering of any of the women in her photos, including abused service members, but she went out not to find the truth, but to find the story she wanted to find.

No, I think she goes to places where issues are known to exist and puts a human face on the statistics.  She makes no claim to being an investigative journalist.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:23:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:25:27 AM EDT
[#21]
The real question is where did she get her numbers?  The reason this is so important as it gives us an idea of just how big the problem is. Now one rape in one command is a problem and it should be dealt with. One false accusation of rape is also a big problem that needs to be dealt with with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:28:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:31:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's a lot of rape.
View Quote

They really like rape
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:32:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I would wonder what the breakdown of those 27,000 rapes/assaults are...

From my understanding 3 things could be counted in those kind of statistics...

Rape/Sexual Assault....no consent given, a violent or sexual act against the will of the victim.    
Regret...consent given, but changed mind after or during the act (this includes intoxicated parties who regret when sobered up and/or when the pregnancy test comes back positive), then reported as the above.
False accusations...'you can't make me do that or I'll tell them you raped me'.    (pretty self explanatory).

If the 27k includes the first (Rape/Assault) as the majority...then there's a major problem.
If the 27k has a majority of the second...then the problem isn't as severe as some would like us to believe.
If the 27k includes a majority of the third...then the problem isn't on the Male (assuming female accusers...but it can work both ways) end.

I wonder if anyone's done a study about how those numbers break down?

Edited to add...
What's the definition of "Sexual Assault" used?
If I grab a random woman's ass on the street...that's sexual assault (by my definition and presumably under the laws of most states).

If you're a drill instructor (male) and have 9 Men and 1 Woman in your group you're training...and you shove all 10 of them over the obstacle course wall by pushing on their asses...did you help 9 recruits..and sexually assault 1 of them?    Is it only sexual assault if the Woman takes offense?    What if you're gay...did you commit 9 cases of sexual assault and only helped 1 over the wall?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:35:46 AM EDT
[#25]
In my experience a lot, not all but a lot, of women liked to have a couple drinks, get banged by 1-10 people, and then the next day claim rape because they regretted it. Saw this happen to two different guys in my company but luckily for one of them someone had a video camera with with footing of the mechanic chick begging for him to do her.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:36:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No, I think she goes to places where issues are known to exist and puts a human face on the statistics.  She makes no claim to being an investigative journalist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't read the article yet, but please tell me she used statistics that are comparable to the civilian world, regarding male-female ratios, average age and isolation.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:40:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Just saying the only two rape case I heard about while I was in were both false accusations.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:40:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

.....I wonder if anyone's done a study about how those numbers break down?

View Quote

Oh hell no....That would defeat the narrative.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:41:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I thought this was a pretty balanced view down the bolded.  I read thru the article three times and didn't see that part.  How about helping a sister out?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Some dudes are rapey.  You can't unmake that.  All you can do is make wimmenz less rapable and stomp the shit out of rapey types when you find em.  This article is am attempt to smear every swinging fick in the Army as a rapist.  It is a sexist, shameful hack job.

not a single rapist was named

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:46:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Kind of like posting photos of michael brown's crying parents "he was a good boy who wanted to go to college and be a rapper"  

Photos don't mean much without fact checking and context.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of like posting photos of michael brown's crying parents "he was a good boy who wanted to go to college and be a rapper"  

Photos don't mean much without fact checking and context.

Like I said, she makes no claim to being an investigative journalist.  She takes pictures and tells people's stories.  You are free to believe them, take them with a grain of salt, or dismiss them outright, as you see fit.  Personally, as with pretty much any emotionally loaded topic, I typically choose the middle ground.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:50:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:55:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I didn't read the article yet, but please tell me she used statistics that are comparable to the civilian world, regarding male-female ratios, average age and isolation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She used numbers based on the population she was addressing.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm more interested in the source for them as well as a synopsis of how they were derived.

ETA: Apparently, her numbers were based on a 2012 DOD study. Link.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:59:19 AM EDT
[#33]
First of all, about the only thing that I've learned from all the stupid fucking SAPR briefings and CBT's I've had to do is that, if a woman decides after the fact that she doesn't like the idea you had sex anymore, it's pretty much rape.

If there is alcohol involved in the slightest, the military does not consider the female able to give consent, so it's therefore definitely rape.

Kind of like ADAPT and their stupid fucking rules on "alcohol related incidents."  If somebody injures themselves playing a game of football at a BBQ or the like and has had ONE fucking beer, it's an alcohol related incident.  Same goes for consent given for sex.  If she drank, and decides afterwards she is embarassed, cheated, whatever, then the male is guilty of rape.

On top of all that, with so many watchful eyes on this "sexual assault" epidemic in the military, any female can claim this shit and it will pretty much ruin a career.  (Especially after the BMT "sex scandal.")

Flight Chief decides he needs to discipline a female because she has a bad attitude, routinely shows up late for work, forgets her fucking weapon in a goddamn bathroom?  Yep, she can claim rape and there isn't shit you can do about it.  You're going along for that fucking ride.

Main reason I hate supervising females and I NEVER will be with them alone.  Counseling session, issuance of paperwork, feedback or signing their EPR?  Yep there is at least one other person in the room, preferably another female.

Back to the SAPR briefings and CBT's though.  Hands down one of the most worthless things ever done.  If some dude is going to actually rape a female, he isn't going to give a shit about a 30 minute long video, replete with horrible acting, showing what happens after a sexual assault occurs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 3:59:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:06:34 AM EDT
[#35]
There are 203,000 women in the military.  So this article claims over 10% of all women in the military are raped every year?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:11:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:14:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There are 203,000 women in the military.  So this article claims over 10% of all women in the military are raped every year?
View Quote

No, it doesn't.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just saying the only two rape case I heard about while I was in were both false accusations.
View Quote

Most of them are, especially with basic training recruits.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:20:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be even more awkward seeing as female recruits only have female DIs and other female recruits around them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:22:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:22:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No, it doesn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it doesn't.

Well, it claims an "estimated" 26,000 rapes or sexual assaults occurred last year in the military.  If there are 203,000 females in the military, my rudimentary math skills get me to around 12.8% of all military females were in someway sexually assaulted last year.

Care to explain where we're going wrong on this math?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:24:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That would be even more awkward seeing as female recruits only have female DIs and other female recruits around them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm assuming you were USMC when you were in.  Have the MCRD's always gone with that method of only female DI's for female recruits?  I know the AF up until this whole "sex scandal" came about allowed male TI's to "push" female flights.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:24:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:25:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:25:56 AM EDT
[#45]
America: now with 87% less rape!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:28:15 AM EDT
[#46]
26,000 rapes in one year!!??
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:29:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
26,000 rapes in one year!!??
View Quote

You said rape twice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:32:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm assuming you were USMC when you were in.  Have the MCRD's always gone with that method of only female DI's for female recruits?  I know the AF up until this whole "sex scandal" came about allowed male TI's to "push" female flights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I was, the only males females see might be corpsmen and Marines giving classes at this big ass auditorium. As recruits if you looked at a recruit of the opposite sex your life was made a living hell for the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

That does not change the essential truthiness of her primal narrative, which is valid despite conflicting facts based on the hegemony of the white privilege male-dominated cisgender hetrocage.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This will not go well.
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top