Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just get a Galaxy S3, same technology as the iPhone 6.
Posted from an ipad (not an apple hater). Seriously though, iPhones are horrible. They don't even begin to compare to a galaxy phone. I've had them all, iPhones are just stupid. I have the S4 now and it's the best phone I've ever owned.
View Quote
Let's see now.

Iphone:    42% market share U.S

Samsung: 28% market share U.S.

Stupid, you say?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Let's see now.  

Stupid, you say?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Posted from an ipad (not an apple hater). Seriously though, iPhones are horrible. They don't even begin to compare to a galaxy phone. I've had them all, iPhones are just stupid. I have the S4 now and it's the best phone I've ever owned.
Let's see now.  

Stupid, you say?

Did you account for Motorola's, HTC's, LG's, and every other android manufacturer's share? I'm pretty sure the Iphone is the only phone running Apple's software.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My upgrade is available now. I'm waiting for the Note 4.
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get yourself the iPhone 6.

Don't worry ..... if you do not like it I will swap you my Galaxy S5 for it.

I hate the Galaxy S5

Cannot think of anything I bought in the last 20 years that I regret as much.
View Quote

You must be in your 50's?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's another Apple versus Android thread! Yay!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Did you account for Motorola's, HTC's, LG's, and every other android manufacturer's share? I'm pretty sure the Iphone is the only phone running Apple's software.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's see now.  

Stupid, you say?

I'd like to see a cite for his numbers...

I love my iPhone but IIRC, Apple's market share for cellular phones is like 15%
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#7]
iPhone 5s 64gb
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My contract is up for my cell phone in October and I'm gonna need a new phone. My Motorola razor (smartphone) is crapping out on me at just two years old. I have an iPad that I like a lot. What do you guys think for a phone? Galaxy s5 or iPhone 6 when it comes out?
View Quote

HTC One M8

Benchmark android phone at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Just traded my Razor Maxx for an S5
So far I like it. Good battery life, etc.
I'm not an Apple guy though so I can't speak to the comparison
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#10]
S5 has been good to me.  Good battery life, great screen, very fast.  

My only regret is the focal length on the camera if that's the right term.  It sucks.  You have to stand further back from anything you are taking a picture of compared to the GS3 just to fit it in the frame.  It makes life difficult if you are shooting video or taking photos inside of a house.

I'm doing a remodel right now and capturing images of the progress inside of the bathroom is a pain in the ass.  I have no idea why they would have done this.  

It basically has the effect of taking a 4:3 image and cropping the tops to achieve a 16:9 image as opposed to taking a 4:3 image and expanding the view horizontally to achieve a 16:9 image.  I'm not good with these terms but that's the gist of it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wait until the iphone 6 comes out

In the very least it will lower prices
View Quote

Naw, wait until the iphone 27 comes out.

It'll be much better than the iphone 26 - and you'll be able to pick up an iphone 25 for almost free.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#12]
First smart phone was a Samsung charge.  I'm on the s4 now and won't hesitate to get whatever Samsung has to offer when this contract is up. Honestly,  I probably won't even upgrade tool this phone dies. It's that good.  I've thought about a note though...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:33:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Galaxy S5.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Galaxy S5 is waterproof.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:45:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Posted from my brand new S5

Damn, this display is awesome!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did yours come with a special open carry internet thread alert app?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doh!!

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had an iphone since the Iphone 3G.

I switched to the Samsung GalaxyS5 and so far I have no regrets. I can do more with it and find apps that are unique to Android. The transistion was amazingly smooth. I hated the swipe to answer on the iphone after IOS7 and the Galaxy was the same way until I changed it in the settings to push to answer. That's the beauty of Android. You can customize it like you want.

I was ready to try something new. If you just want a easy to use phone go Apple.

It's waterproof and the display is awesome.

Only thing is you really can't operate it comfortably with one hand like the iphone, but that's the price you pay for more screen.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just went from an s2 to a note 3, should be similar to the 5.  My wife who is diehard apple is going crazy over it.  
View Quote

Ya should have waited for the Note 4 coming out in Oct.  That is what I am doing . . . maybe.  My Note (original) is dying slowly and may not live until then.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Apple.  No question.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a galaxy nexus which is stupid big, the S5 is a little bigger. Kind of feels like trying to carry a VHS tape everywhere
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#22]
For those of you with Galaxy 5's, what case and/or screen protector are you using?  Fixing to probably get one and looking for recommendations for a newb.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

For those of you with Galaxy 5's, what case and/or screen protector are you using?  Fixing to probably get one and looking for recommendations for a newb.
View Quote

Otterbox.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Love everything about my S5 - Gorgeous screen, amazing battery life, superb camera, stable operating system, excellent phone audio quality...

If I lost it tomorrow, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/9848/EYsbzp.jpg

(shown with Spigen ToughArmor case)
View Quote

Have same exact setup. Love my S5.

Wife got the iphone 5s at the same time. The S5 has a lot more features that I use, but she could care less about. She loves the Iphone because we have ipads, ipods, itunes icloud etc so all her texts, pics, music contacts etc were synced the day she got it (took me a bit more time to get things transfered to my new phone.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#25]
htc one m8
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I drank the S5 kool aid.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I love Android but would never buy a a phone from Samsung. The specs are good, the software is ****.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's another Apple versus Android thread! Yay!

I love Android but would never buy a a phone from Samsung. The specs are good, the software is ****.

Yep, I've played with G4's and G5's, (granted Kit Kat is a lot better) but it's still buggy and leggy at times. Sure one can put a clean, fast custom ROM to eliminate a lot of that but one shouldn't have to. Hardware wise the G series is great but it's the software that holds it back IMO. I have no experiance with the newer HtC offerings but I hope to hell they've improved over their Windows Mobile days.

I have an iPhone 5 and will most likely upgrade to the 5.1" iPhone 6 when it launches. Not to mention iOS 8 brings a lot of improvements to the table, IMO the 5 was a safe move for Apple; I expect Apple will not play it so safe with the 6. Samsung and HTC are eating into their market share mostly due to better hardware but unless Andriod has made leaps and bounds, I'd stick with Apple.

I've never had an issue with my iPhone, not even once and I'm a 'power user.'
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Galaxy S5 is waterproof. resistant
View Quote

Biiiiiiiiig difference.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:23:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Get an S5

I have an S5 for home and an iPhone for work

The iPhone is something for old people and kids

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm waiting to see about the Note 4

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#32]
By October the newest MotoX  will be out a month and the newest Nexus phone just released along with Android 5. Certainly worth checking out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Otterbox Defender.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Do you NEED 5,493 different SMS apps?

Then you NEED an Android phone!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Do you NEED 5,493 different SMS apps?

Then you NEED an Android phone!
View Quote

Lol. One of my complaints about the Android is about the email apps. Gmail app must be used for gmail, but can't be used for Comcast email... and if you have a business email (I have Godaddy email for my business), resulting in a third app. For email.

IPhone? One app, everything centrally located. As usual, the essence of simplicity.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get yourself the iPhone 6.

Don't worry ..... if you do not like it I will swap you my Galaxy S5 for it.

I hate the Galaxy S5

Cannot think of anything I bought in the last 20 years that I regret as much.

Soldier, would you mind fleshing this one out a bit?  Thanks.

I'm asking because (passive brag alert!) I'm entering my second half century, and am seeing a girl who is entering her second QUARTER century.

She HATES iPhone, loves Galaxy.  This seems to be at least partly on principle-- corporate or something.

I'm looped into Apple, largely because of the laptop I own.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#37]
As an Android user:

iPhone if you don't want to mess with it. iPhones do what they do, and they do it well. Their interface is polished and runs well, and it's familiar. With the iPhone 6 about to be introduced, prices on the 5s will likely be going down quick.

Android if you like to tinker, or needs features and functions that iPotato doesn't give you.

I use my Android phone (OnePlus One) for many things, a lot of which I couldn't possibly do on an iPotato. For instance, I use Tasker to make API calls to my Home Automation controller to control my lights and HVAC. I couldn't do this on an iPotato.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
As an Android user:

iPhone if you don't want to mess with it. iPhones do what they do, and they do it well. Their interface is polished and runs well, and it's familiar. With the iPhone 6 about to be introduced, prices on the 5s will likely be going down quick.

Android if you like to tinker, or needs features and functions that iPotato doesn't give you.

I use my Android phone (OnePlus One) for many things, a lot of which I couldn't possibly do on an iPotato. For instance, I use Tasker to make API calls to my Home Automation controller to control my lights and HVAC. I couldn't do this on an iPotato.
View Quote

I was iPotato since they were released.  I finally decided I needed a bigger screen and better sound so i tried an HTC One last upgrade.
It's been awesome to say the least.  The camera and effects alone are crazy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
As an Android user:

instance, I use Tasker to make API calls to my Home Automation controller to control my lights and HVAC. I couldn't do this on an iPotato.
View Quote

The iPhone is fine for what it does, but there are many reasons I prefer the Samsung.
1)the ability to turn songs and other sound files into ring tones without having to pay for them again or go through some intricate third party software solution
2)the ability to treat the phone as a separate hard drive in Windows Explorer and drag and drop music, movies, documents, etc... on it without using the confusing and counterintuitive iTunes interface.
3)the ability to swap my microSD card into a new phone when I upgrade and instantly have access to all my music, movies, photos, etc... without taking hours to transfer them from a hopefully current backup file on my computer
4)the ability to switch out batteries
5)a bigger screen on which to read on my Kindle app or watch movies and videos
6)I prefer the simplicity of  a google account to back up contacts and settings rather than the Apple version, which seems more complicated to me
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm going to seriously consider an s5 from an iphone.
View Quote

You should... if it feels right when you go to the phone store. Just know that there is definitely a ramping-up process you will have to go through to get familiar with it.

If you have questions about the crossover there are a lot of people who can help here, some of whom actually know what they're talking about.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You should... if it feels right when you go to the phone store. Just know that there is definitely a ramping-up process you will have to go through to get familiar with it.

If you have questions about the crossover there are a lot of people who can help here, some of whom actually know what they're talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm considering it too.  Help a brotha out with some details, integration issues with a mac specifically.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Otterbox Defender.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Otterbox Defender.
I have only used Otterbox with mine so far.  I started with the Preserver Series.  Which makes the phone feel fucking huge, but man does it work.  I would have bricked this phone mulitple times with out that thing.  I destroyed it, but ordered another.  Back ordered.  That is going to be my camping case.

Currently I am using the commuter for day to day stuff.  Works pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#44]
FYI, the charging port cover on my S5 just broke while normally opening it up.  You can get new covers on Ebay around $5.  I ordered 3 since they come from China and I can see it happening again.  You may want to preemptively buy some.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm considering it too.  Help a brotha out with some details, integration issues with a mac specifically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I have installed Kies (Samsung's answer to iTunes) on my Mac laptop and Mini... I had to uninstall it from the laptop once because it made the machine run dirt slowly. That said, since I reinstalled it, it's been fine. I urge purchasing spare Samsung branded cables if you like to have cables around for your charging and backup convenience. I have an off-brand mini USB cord and it doesn't work for my phone or tablet. That's about it for Mac compatibility.

The ups of the S5 outweigh the downs. I do NOT like having to use 3 separate email packages for my various emails, that is stupid and a really short sighted holdover from previous iterations of Android OS that prevented me from taking the platform seriously sooner. I DO like the removable memory and ability to change batteries if I need to. I *love* the screen and overall size of the phone. I don't like the level of intrusiveness that mobile OS' (looks like all of them are guilty of this now) have gotten to.

IMHO the S5 is essentially the hardware Apple should have come up with for the iPhone 5 last year. And the 6 should have been blowing our minds. I think Apple is playing it way too safe and will completely lose the market if they haven't already. As I've said in other threads on the subject, I don't think Steve Jobs would have allowed this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I do NOT like having to use 3 separate email packages for my various emails, that is stupid and a really short sighted holdover from previous iterations of Android OS that prevented me from taking the platform seriously sooner.
View Quote

That's just straight up retarded.  No third party email apps that can handle them all?  Kies looks promising, music was the largest concern.  Wasn't looking forward to drag/drop a few hundred files manually.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#47]
If you have to ask, either will work.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#48]
iPhone cons:
-proprietary charger
-No USB
-No Micro SD card to expand memory
-Apps cost $ vs Most free Android Apps
-You fit in with the hipsters at StarBucks
-Camera sucks
-Made in China
-the cloud
-Hard to modify OS since its not Linux based
-cant change battery without a hassle.

Samsung Cons:

-Android software gets really slow after running it for a year, all mine do it. iOS is more stable over long term.
-Too big
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
iPhone cons:
-proprietary charger
-No USB
-No Micro SD card to expand memory
-Apps cost $ vs Most free Android Apps
-You fit in with the hipsters at StarBucks
-Camera sucks
-Made in China
-the cloud
-Hard to modify OS since its not Linux based
-cant change battery without a hassle.

Samsung Cons:

-Android software gets really slow after running it for a year, all mine do it. iOS is more stable over long term.
-Too big
View Quote

Are not all phones made in China/Taiwan?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's just straight up retarded.  No third party email apps that can handle them all?  Kies looks promising, music was the largest concern.  Wasn't looking forward to drag/drop a few hundred files manually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do NOT like having to use 3 separate email packages for my various emails, that is stupid and a really short sighted holdover from previous iterations of Android OS that prevented me from taking the platform seriously sooner.

Possibly, but since I've trickled these together (and it was a mega pain in the butt) I have just resigned myself to 3 email packages.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top