BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Buying a suppressor requires a Form 4, and Efiles is not accepting Form 4s right now.  

What you could do, is get the trust set up, it will be electronically delivered to you, get it signed funded and notarized, then call up Acme Suppressors and say "I want's a pew pew can here's my trust send in a paper form 4 for me" and maybe have it approved by time you get back.

You're not going to engrave anything if you buy a suppressor.  The "maker" engraves the item.  So Gemtech or AAC or whoever has already engraved the suppressor with their information.
View Quote

Thanks for the information dude, I'll let you know how is all goes.

P.S.  Now assuming there isn't a notary on base and I have to wait until I get home to have it notarized (FL requires this..) in December, will the Trust paperwork still be valid even though i'm going to buy (start, whatever) the trust tomorrow?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate all of you

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

P.S.  Now assuming there isn't a notary on base and I have to wait until I get home to have it notarized (FL requires this..) in December, will the Trust paperwork still be valid even though i'm going to buy (start, whatever) the trust tomorrow?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buying a suppressor requires a Form 4, and Efiles is not accepting Form 4s right now.  

What you could do, is get the trust set up, it will be electronically delivered to you, get it signed funded and notarized, then call up Acme Suppressors and say "I want's a pew pew can here's my trust send in a paper form 4 for me" and maybe have it approved by time you get back.

You're not going to engrave anything if you buy a suppressor.  The "maker" engraves the item.  So Gemtech or AAC or whoever has already engraved the suppressor with their information.

You should be able to get a JAG to notorize it. I know several .mil guys have done this while on base. If you can get your tank icon and head over to the mil forums on here, they will help you out a little better.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:59:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You should be able to get a JAG to notorize it. I know several .mil guys have done this while on base. If you can get your tank icon and head over to the mil forums on here, they will help you out a little better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appreciate the off, but, theres a couple of possible problems.

A: I'm no longer in the services and am a contractor
B: My DD214 is stateside.

I have a CAC card and an LOA, along with ISAF IDs but thats it here at my fingertips.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have a CAC card and an LOA, along with ISAF IDs but thats it here at my fingertips.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh man.. uhhhh

shit.. I don't know man.. hopefully someone will come in here soon and help you out. I don't know who to appoint you to in that situation
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:44:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should be fine.  The coupon is good until 2/28/15, so you don't even have to order the trust until then.  And even after the trust papers are delivered, it only takes effect when you and all the trustees sign it.  So in theory, you could put the papers in a filing cabinet unsigned and come back years later to actually create the trust.  The only "clock" you have to worry about running out is the 72hrs that 199trust allows for review of the papers and free corrections after delivery.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You should be fine.  The coupon is good until 2/28/15, so you don't even have to order the trust until then.  And even after the trust papers are delivered, it only takes effect when you and all the trustees sign it.  So in theory, you could put the papers in a filing cabinet unsigned and come back years later to actually create the trust.  The only "clock" you have to worry about running out is the 72hrs that 199trust allows for review of the papers and free corrections after delivery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outstanding, order placed.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Submitted. With everyone's help.

However....
The August 2014 Gear Hog promo has led to some really crazy demand (more than we've ever seen at one time!) and we're getting flooded with Trust requests. That's a good thing! But please expect up to 5-6 days to get your documents. We know that's a crazy long wait time, but we want to be honest here. Might get it sooner of course, but lets prepare for the worst. Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding, we promise we want to get your documents to you as badly as you want them!
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

However....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

However....
The August 2014 Gear Hog promo has led to some really crazy demand (more than we've ever seen at one time!) and we're getting flooded with Trust requests. That's a good thing! But please expect up to 5-6 days to get your documents. We know that's a crazy long wait time, but we want to be honest here. Might get it sooner of course, but lets prepare for the worst. Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding, we promise we want to get your documents to you as badly as you want them!

Arfcom Effect
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#10]
<snip>
Quoted:
Ok.  You're over complicating it I bet, because you're under the impression anything to do with government and lawyers has to be complicated, which I sympathize with.  But the concept is simple.

A trust is an entity, an intangible entity like a corporation or a promise you'll pull out first.  It exists in concept, but the only physical thing representing it is the paper work that describes what it is.  So number 2, "fund the trust."  Some states trust codes say that a trust that doesn't own property doesn't need to exist, therefore a trust with no property is illogical, therefore a trust with no property is not valid.  The trust, again, this intangible entity, must own something in order to deliver something to the beneficiaries.  Not all states codes read this way (Wisconsin for instance distinctly allows for unfunded trusts), but for the sake of consistency, you should fund your trust right off the bat.  Most people do this by placing $1 in the trust.  You can go as far as identifying a particular $1 bill in your wallet and record that serial numbered bill on the Schedule A (the list of property owned by the trust).  Now the trust has $1 and is "funded."

Now, a good NFA trust will have language in it that says something to the order of "The settlor may add or remove property from the trust as if it were his own without informing other members blah blah blah legalspeak" so that when you get your Form 1 back for your SBR, you just pull up your Schedule A on your computer, add your SBR info the the list, print it off and sign it.  Maybe you take your $1 back then, maybe not.  Up to you.

The trust should also have language like "the trustees may use the property, possess it, move it, jerk off with it sweetly late at night, blah blah in accordance with all NFA laws yada yada" so that any of the trustees or "approved persons" can be in possession of the NFA stuff, because hey, they're part of the trust, and the trust owns the guns, and the trust is giving them permission to do so, and you don't even have to be in the same room because the trust is intangible and omnipresent and separate from you.

Skip number 4 unless your state has weird code about funding the trust or how the trust acquires property.  If it's worded correctly, it can be funded from you the settlor, because even if it wasn't for NFA and was just for estate planning, that's the point of a trust, for the settlor to fund and distribute his property after his death.

Otherwise it really is that simple.  Get a trust.  Fund the trust.  Get it notarized (even if not required by your state, like funding, having some third party acknowledge the existence of the trust is a good idea, just like "Yeah you owe me $20 because you told me you'd pay me back and Bill here heard you say it!").  Once it's notarized and signed, it's in effect.  Log on to Eforms.  Fill out your Form 1.  Upload a scanned copy of the trust.  Twiddle thumbs and wait.  That's it.  Seriously.
View Quote

Thanks for spelling it out. Has anyone read over the language of the 199trust yet? I'm curious if it is indeed possible to name "approved persons" who do not have the power to manage the trust property.

From reading What is a Revocable Living Trust? on mobar.org, it talks about the settlor, trustee, and beneficiary. Says the settlor usually serves as trustee while alive/capable and that the trustee holds title to the trust property and manages it according to the terms of the trust.

Hopefully the terms are like you describe above.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Any issues insuring property if it is owned by the trust?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Done...Here I come NFA land! Gonna form 1 like a boss
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Ran across this in the wee hours this morning.  I've been holding off for a trust through Prince Law (guntrustlawyer.com, or whatever it is), at $600.  For $69, though...I'll give this a shot.  My main concern is letting the wife be able to transport NFA items, and having a route for ownership should something happen to me.  Thanks op.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ran across this in the wee hours this morning.  I've been holding off for a trust through Prince Law (guntrustlawyer.com, or whatever it is), at $600.  For $69, though...I'll give this a shot.  My main concern is letting the wife be able to transport NFA items, and having a route for ownership should something happen to me.  Thanks op.
View Quote

You can add her onto the trust

ETA: Route of ownership is also covered
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I wanted a trust vs an LLC.  I have concerns about these low-dollar trusts standing up to legal scrutiny, should the situation arise (such as transfer on death, etc).  I feel more confident that a Prince trust would be "bulletproof" in that regard.  Likely, though, I'll just need a mechanism for legal possession until the items are sold, anyway.  This seems to be a step up from a Quicken trust, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

However....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

However....

I received the same message and still had my trust in 2 days.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
had a question about the schedule a...so to start it will have 1$ in it..then ill sbr a lower, and add that to the schedule a. and then sbr another lower and add that to the schedule a...my question is do you keep the old schedule a's as part of the trust? or everytime you add something else you get rid of the old one? like when you upload your trust to the ATF, is it going to have multiple schedule a pages?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got an email saying that the deal was extended...

Had to jump on it
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Just did mine NOW $69 is hard to say no too..

Hopefully it will allow me (with the amendment samples) to add other Trustees (designated users) on to it..

& same question.. do I just lay a $1 bill on the schedule A and scan like that to include??

Thats the confusing part for me.. though on the 199trust page it says it includes some Form 1 info..

I plan on E Form(ing) to SBR my M92..  

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#20]
What is a "successor trustee"??  Looks like the form calls for one. Don't really understand that part but says it's required.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:45:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What is a "successor trustee"??  Looks like the form calls for one. Don't really understand that part but says it's required.
View Quote

A successor trustee takes over trusteeship of the trust should you, the settlor pass away or become unable to.  You can have a successor trustee without a co-trustee, the successor only becoming a trustee should you be unable to execute the trust, a co-trustee being a full trustee while you're still around to execute the trust.

This (depending on your state I suppose) successor trustee still cannot change the trust, (if you die it becomes irrevocable until it's obligations are satisfied), only execute it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just did mine NOW $69 is hard to say no too..

Hopefully it will allow me (with the amendment samples) to add other Trustees (designated users) on to it..

& same question.. do I just lay a $1 bill on the schedule A and scan like that to include??

Thats the confusing part for me.. though on the 199trust page it says it includes some Form 1 info..

I plan on E Form(ing) to SBR my M92..  

View Quote

No.  Just put $1 and the serial number of the dollar bill.  You wouldn't send photos of every SBR you have with your schedule A, no need to send a photo of your dollar bill.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
had a question about the schedule a...so to start it will have 1$ in it..then ill sbr a lower, and add that to the schedule a. and then sbr another lower and add that to the schedule a...my question is do you keep the old schedule a's as part of the trust? or everytime you add something else you get rid of the old one? like when you upload your trust to the ATF, is it going to have multiple schedule a pages?
View Quote

You print a new one each time you add or remove an item.  Destroy the old one.  Sign the new one.  That's the effective schedule A.  The schedule A shouldn't have a date, or, the date should read "This schedule is effective the date at the top of the trust" or whatever.

Look, the trust isn't a contract to the government, or a registration, it's a contract between you and the people you name in your trust, and as the settlor you have the ultimate power to revoke, change, remove, add, disburse property, take whatever (legal) action you wish to with the trust.

Printing out a new schedule A and signing it is simply book keeping.  There's nothing else to it.  It's like a bank statement for your trust.  This is the property the trust owns, signed John Doe.  It's not a balance sheet, it doesn't need a record of what it previously owned, what has been divested, distributed, or whatever.  Just what the trust owns *today*.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Alright fellow AR15ers I jumped on the bandwagon as well but I want the opinions of the hive before I proceed with filling it out so that I do it right the first time. My dad always said a job done half assed is a job not worth doing. I know none of you are lawyers yada yada yada. I've read through the pages and several other sites explaining gun trusts.

With this one there is a Primary Trustee "Settlor", that would be me. Get that ok moving on. My first name is Greg but my legal name is Gregory. Can I use something along the lines of "Full First Name Middle Name Last Name a.k.a. Abbrev First Name Last name ??

County where the Trustee Resides. Currently I live in one county and in a month I'm moving to another. Should I wait or fill out now? How hard is it to change? Is this a revocable trust meaning when you want to change something you have to get court / lawyer approval? How would you go about changing the address? Edit the PDF and get it re-notarized? Would you add some sort of paperwork that shows a change of address? What say you?

Co-Trustees...I'm leaning towards not putting my Wife on it. She isn't real interested in firearms and I feel like if I wasn't around she would just sell them off anyways. I would like to put my Dad in it...the problem is he lives in Illinois. My understanding is that since he is from Illinois he cannot be listed as a Co-Trustee as he would never be able to be in procession of said NFA items? He also cannot be added as a Successor or Beneficiary correct? What if he owns a second home in MO that is not his primary residence? Does that change the circumstances? My understanding is that co-trustees have to be present on notarization? Correct? Along with 2 witnesses or is that some states that require it? What is the process of adding/removing co-trustees? Same as above process i.e. editing PDF or adding some attachment showing removal/addition? Do co-trustees own said property? Are they entitled to anything other than being in possession of said NFA items?

Successor Trustees? What is the difference between that and a Beneficiary? Would like same info on addition/removal and what is the process?

Name of Trust: I have a name in mind but for this particular name however there is a logical abbreviation I would also like to be able to use for the engraving of said lower/etc items. Is it possible to add wording of such in this trust?

My parents have ground in Illinois where I routinely go to shoot. I would be transporting these items there routinely. I know that in Illinois those items are illegal to own if you are an Illinois resident. What is the process for using/transporting those items into Illinois? Is it legal?

Form A. As stated previously you have to add items by reprinting the form and signing it. You don't date it as the date is that of the trust. So each time you want to obtain said NFA item the ATF gets a copy of the trust and this document that outlines what the Trust owns? Correct? I was reading this link: http://www.myguntrust.com/faqs Does the Gun Trust Include an Inventory of the Firearms Assigned to the Trust? This guy seems to have some way around that....if anyone is on the up and up please let me know.

I am in favor of buying said NFA items online as it is a way to save money. Is this process any different?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Hit man,

When you go to fill out the form on 199tust, you can hit the question mark and most of your questions are explained as far as definitions are concerned.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You print a new one each time you add or remove an item.  Destroy the old one.  Sign the new one.  That's the effective schedule A.  The schedule A shouldn't have a date, or, the date should read "This schedule is effective the date at the top of the trust" or whatever.

Look, the trust isn't a contract to the government, or a registration, it's a contract between you and the people you name in your trust, and as the settlor you have the ultimate power to revoke, change, remove, add, disburse property, take whatever (legal) action you wish to with the trust.

Printing out a new schedule A and signing it is simply book keeping.  There's nothing else to it.  It's like a bank statement for your trust.  This is the property the trust owns, signed John Doe.  It's not a balance sheet, it doesn't need a record of what it previously owned, what has been divested, distributed, or whatever.  Just what the trust owns *today*.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

but as far as when efiling, you have to send in the updated copy? or can i send in the same ol schedule a that just has $1 listed on it everytime even though my personal copy has an updated list of the nfa items?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I fo'd, and got my trust the other day. Looks good as far as I can tell (my degrees are all in the sciences not law, so take that fwiw).

Now a question for you guys that have trusts already. Did you set up a bank acct specifically for the trust, or pay for stamp and NFA fun with personal acct?

Should I set up an acct for the trust, or could I as the settlor just make a note in memo of a personal check that it is for "xyz trust"?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

but as far as when efiling, you have to send in the updated copy? or can i send in the same ol schedule a that just has $1 listed on it everytime even though my personal copy has an updated list of the nfa items?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That I don't know.  I intend to send my updated schedule for each new Form.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:57:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That was the best write up on NFA trusts I've ever read.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just made the topic clearer than the million threads/stickies/faq's that I have read on this forum and others.

THANK YOU.

Concur. Thank you.

That was the best write up on NFA trusts I've ever read.

Yep.  I think I understand it now.

Thank you
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#30]
When filling out the form to create the Trust, I do not see any sections where I can put $1, a round of .223 etc as property of the Trust.

Does this need to be done as the Trust is created or is this part of the paperwork I will receive once the paperwork is sent to me?

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help in advance
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Its part of the paperwork you receive.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:33:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Its part of the paperwork you receive.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Oh man.. uhhhh

shit.. I don't know man.. hopefully someone will come in here soon and help you out. I don't know who to appoint you to in that situation
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh man.. uhhhh

Really depends on the unit and staff. As I contractor I had some places help me out, and others give me the cold shoulder. Last year in Bagram the JAG office there had times set aside for civ/contractor assistance.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:00:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Can someone tell me if Gearhog takes American Express?

They ask for c.c. info, but don't list what type anywhere I can find.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#35]
I ordered one, but I'm having buyers remorse. Who exactly is 199Trust.com? There is no background info on their site, and nothing to state that the trust documents were prepared by qualified lawyers for example. All I see is a disclaimer "We cannot provide any kind of advice, explanation, opinion, or recommendation about possible legal rights, remedies, defenses, options, selection of forms or strategies. If you need legal assistance please seek out the help of an Attorney in your area."

If you look up the refund address on their website, it's a private residence.

The Texas corp "199 Document Preparation Services LLC" was formed in 2012, went tax delinquent earlier this year then reformed less than a month ago.

http://www.wysk.com/index/texas/austin/b484t9l/199-document-preparation-services-llc/profile

The address listed on the LLC records is just a corporate service agent as there are over 100 companies listed there.

And the first hit on the name of the LLC managing member is a marijuana arrest from 2008 in Amarillo. Might be a different guy with the same name, but still....

I'm going to ask for a refund and stick with a real attorney.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:31:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Also, I saw a mention of a Schedule A in this trust. I've read elsewhere that good NFA gun trusts do not include a Schedule A, as pointed out by this attorney.

http://www.myguntrust.com/schedule-a-question.html

Does a well-drafted NFA gun trust include a Schedule A? No, and for very good reasons. Some attorneys who prepare NFA gun trusts include schedules as part of their NFA gun trust, such as a Schedule A to identify all of the trust property. Such a practice has two primary disadvantages for their unfortunate clients. First, each time the client transfers property in or out of the NFA gun trust, the schedule must be amended. The better practice is transfer property in or out of the NFA gun trust using a separate assignment form, which is not part of the NFA gun trust. Second, the ATF needs a complete copy of the NFA gun trust each time you mail in a new application. Besides NFA firearms, other personal property such as non-NFA firearms (Title I weapons) and other collectibles may be assigned to the NFA gun trust. If the NFA gun trust includes a schedule that identifies all trust property, the customer unnecessarily provides an organized, detailed inventory of each and every item assigned to the NFA gun trust, such as NFA firearms, non-NFA firearms, or other collectibles to the ATF. Why would this be a good idea? Finally, more and more frequently, Class III dealers mail the package of documents that form a complete application to the ATF on behalf of their customers. To do so, each time the customer buys a new NFA firearm, the Class III dealer needs a complete copy of the customer’s NFA gun trust. If the NFA gun trust includes a schedule that identifies all trust property, the customer turns over, or broadcasts, a detailed inventory of each and every item assigned to the trust, such as NFA firearms, non-NFA firearms, or other collectibles to the Class III dealer, which, frankly, the Class III dealer has no reason to know about.  Also, once you turn over your NFA gun trust to the Class III dealer, you do not know whether additional copies will be made or stored online, who among the Class III dealer’s present or future employees have or will have access to the information, or to whom this information is or will be disclosed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:19:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I ordered one, but I'm having buyers remorse. Who exactly is 199Trust.com? There is no background info on their site, and nothing to state that the trust documents were prepared by qualified lawyers for example. All I see is a disclaimer "We cannot provide any kind of advice, explanation, opinion, or recommendation about possible legal rights, remedies, defenses, options, selection of forms or strategies. If you need legal assistance please seek out the help of an Attorney in your area."

If you look up the refund address on their website, it's a private residence.

The Texas corp "199 Document Preparation Services LLC" was formed in 2012, went tax delinquent earlier this year then reformed less than a month ago.

http://www.wysk.com/index/texas/austin/b484t9l/199-document-preparation-services-llc/profile

The address listed on the LLC records is just a corporate service agent as there are over 100 companies listed there.

And the first hit on the name of the LLC managing member is a marijuana arrest from 2008 in Amarillo. Might be a different guy with the same name, but still....

I'm going to ask for a refund and stick with a real attorney.

View Quote

I'm in this boat.  It was late, and I was buzzed good when I decided this NFA trust was the answer to all my needs.  

Now, having a "clearer" perspective, I realize why I haven't purchased a "canned" NFA trust in the past.  lol  In the long run, $69 here (vs $300, or $600) isn't that big a deal.  The PITA factor could be huge.

I haven't used the product code I was e-mailed, so I've e-mailed GearHog for a refund.  I'd rather stick to my original plan, and go with Prince Law, etc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Also, I saw a mention of a Schedule A in this trust. I've read elsewhere that good NFA gun trusts do not include a Schedule A, as pointed out by this attorney.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Does a well-drafted NFA gun trust include a Schedule A? No, and for very good reasons. Some attorneys who prepare NFA gun trusts include schedules as part of their NFA gun trust, such as a Schedule A to identify all of the trust property. Such a practice has two primary disadvantages for their unfortunate clients. First, each time the client transfers property in or out of the NFA gun trust, the schedule must be amended. The better practice is transfer property in or out of the NFA gun trust using a separate assignment form, which is not part of the NFA gun trust. Second, the ATF needs a complete copy of the NFA gun trust each time you mail in a new application. Besides NFA firearms, other personal property such as non-NFA firearms (Title I weapons) and other collectibles may be assigned to the NFA gun trust. If the NFA gun trust includes a schedule that identifies all trust property, the customer unnecessarily provides an organized, detailed inventory of each and every item assigned to the NFA gun trust, such as NFA firearms, non-NFA firearms, or other collectibles to the ATF. Why would this be a good idea? Finally, more and more frequently, Class III dealers mail the package of documents that form a complete application to the ATF on behalf of their customers. To do so, each time the customer buys a new NFA firearm, the Class III dealer needs a complete copy of the customer’s NFA gun trust. If the NFA gun trust includes a schedule that identifies all trust property, the customer turns over, or broadcasts, a detailed inventory of each and every item assigned to the trust, such as NFA firearms, non-NFA firearms, or other collectibles to the Class III dealer, which, frankly, the Class III dealer has no reason to know about.  Also, once you turn over your NFA gun trust to the Class III dealer, you do not know whether additional copies will be made or stored online, who among the Class III dealer’s present or future employees have or will have access to the information, or to whom this information is or will be disclosed.

I highly question the competence of anyone who is advising you to put non-NFA firearms or collectibles etc in your NFA trust.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I highly question the competence of anyone who is advising you to put non-NFA firearms or collectibles etc in your NFA trust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?  This is why I didn't want to go to a lawyer.  I approached 2 different ones, and all they want to talk about is estate planning.  I don't want a trust for my estate planning, and if I do, I will form another one.  I certainly do not want them combined.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Got the trust, can't think of a single way this could have been any easier.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#42]
going to a lawyer, he'll copy a generic trust out of westlaw and it won't be tailored for NFA... certainly not for anything close to this price.

...and if your 600$ does get you a NFA-geared trust, you can be sure he doesn't have the ins and outs down as these guys seem to with their FAQ, follow up forms (sent free with trust) etc.

I don't see the problem here.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Right?  This is why I didn't want to go to a lawyer.  I approached 2 different ones, and all they want to talk about is estate planning.  I don't want a trust for my estate planning, and if I do, I will form another one.  I certainly do not want them combined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit.  If you want something that is outside of their normal boiler plate routine they are lost and act like you like you have three heads.  That's because many people really suck at thinking
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought my trust from gearhog on 8/25, used the coupon and submitted the trust info on 8/26, and had my completed trust from 199trust.com on 8/27. Got all the documents notarized on 8/27, and started filling out the eform the next day. Had to download a trial version of adobe acrobat to merge the trust into multiple page pdfs, and fought with the ATF website the whole time.

Read the FAQs and tutorials in the class 3 forum to find some hints to make the website run better. Finally got it submitted on 8/30, $200 came out of my account on the same day, and they changed my status to "pending research" because I'm form 1ing a can, so I didn't have a model number or anything. It changed to "submitted/in process" today, 9/2. And that has been my venture into this whole NFA trust thing.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I bought my trust from gearhog on 8/25, used the coupon and submitted the trust info on 8/26, and had my completed trust from 199trust.com on 8/27. Got all the documents notarized on 8/27, and started filling out the eform the next day. Had to download a trial version of adobe acrobat to merge the trust into multiple page pdfs, and fought with the ATF website the whole time.

Read the FAQs and tutorials in the class 3 forum to find some hints to make the website run better. Finally got it submitted on 8/30, $200 came out of my account on the same day, and they changed my status to "pending research" because I'm form 1ing a can, so I didn't have a model number or anything. It changed to "submitted/in process" today, 9/2. And that has been my venture into this whole NFA trust thing.
View Quote

Did you end up using two witnesses, plus a 3rd person being the notary?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm not an attorney, but I'm going to venture to say that if the document requires witnesses, there will be a place in the document for the witnesses to sign, attesting that they judge you to be of sound mind and body, creating the document without coercion, etc.

If the trust was prepared in accordance with the trust laws of your state, and doesn't have a place for witnesses to sign, then you don't need witnesses.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, 2 witnesses (who were also co-trustees) and a bank notary. Easy peasy.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok this is where I am getting conflicting information.  One notary said they can be one witness and a co trustee the other, one notary said the co trustee and another person, and a third notary said two disinterested parties nowhere on or associated with the trust.

I understand it will vary by state, but these are three different local notaries.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Ok this is where I am getting conflicting information.  One notary said they can be one witness and a co trustee the other, one notary said the co trustee and another person, and a third notary said two disinterested parties nowhere on or associated with the trust.

I understand it will vary by state, but these are three different local notaries.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whether you need witnesses or not varies by State.

In Ohio, ORC 5804 governs trusts, and makes no mention of witnesses.  Or of notaries for that matter.  A trust can even be verbal, although I doubt the BATFE would accept an oral trust.

I converted the trust .pdf file to Microsoft Word and edited out the witness lines.  Friday my son and co-trustee is going with me to get it notarized.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top