Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Do trustees need to be present when it gets notorized?  What about age of trustees?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never had an issue with getting CLEO sign-offs on my NFA stuff, but I'm considering this route simply so I can share some of my cans with my father.  He's getting older and has no interest in jumping through the hoops, but he loves shooting my suppressed .22LR pistols.  

I may just do it...which of course means I'll be typing credit card numbers within the next few minutes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've never had an issue with getting CLEO sign-offs on my NFA stuff, but I'm considering this route simply so I can share some of my cans with my father.  He's getting older and has no interest in jumping through the hoops, but he loves shooting my suppressed .22LR pistols.  

I may just do it...which of course means I'll be typing credit card numbers within the next few minutes.
View Quote

He can shoot them, you just have to be there.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but we live about 300 miles from each other.  I'd like to be able to legally leave one with him occasionally.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Are there any other benefits to this trust (other than the obvious benefits of new nfa toys) or is it solely for nfa items?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Approximately what would the total cost be for a can in .223, from the cost for a trust, ATF monies and cost of a decent can? I would like to hear a ballpark on total cash outlay.
Thanks and Gearhog is GTG, I have used a them a few times.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a fairly generic revocable trust rattling around somewhere, given the once-over by an attorney, but it does not yet have anything NFA in it. Without running afoul of a copyright/purchase agreement, can someone describe what gun and NFA-specific topics are in the 199trust documents?

I am happy to pay the price for a more gun-specific trust if it's worthwhile. I just don't want to spend the better part of $100 for something I already own.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Now that I've taken the plunge...  

Quoted:
Do trustees need to be present when it gets notorized?  What about age of trustees?
View Quote

This is a good question.  

I'm assuming any co-trustee can make an NFA purchase without needing the others to sign off on it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Approximately what would the total cost be for a can in .223, from the cost for a trust, ATF monies and cost of a decent can? I would like to hear a ballpark on total cash outlay. Thanks and Gearhog is GTG, I have used a them a few times.
View Quote

Silencerco 556 $550  + $200 tax + $69 trust + postage

+ plus transfer fee if you buy online and have it shipped to local dealer (form 3). $75 in my location.  Buy in stock local.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a 5.56 can several years ago and in hindsight, I wish I'd purchased a .30cal can instead. I now use my .30cal suppressor on everything from 5.56 to 6.5 to 6.8 to .308 and my 5.56 can just gathers dust. Knowing what I know now, if I was just starting out I'd buy a .22LR can and a .30cal can and be perfectly happy.  Unfortunately, it cost me a lot of money to come to that conclusion.

YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Protip - If you SBR a gun you need to engrave your trust name on it. Long fancy names don't fit so well. Simple names work well. "The BobTheGreat Trust" works better than "The Freedom To Own Whatever I Fucking Want And May Painful Fuck Be Upon The Liberals Trust"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I did it.  Coupon purchased, and now I have to come up with a name for the trust and decide who I want on it, and in what capacity.

Protip - If you SBR a gun you need to engrave your trust name on it. Long fancy names don't fit so well. Simple names work well. "The BobTheGreat Trust" works better than "The Freedom To Own Whatever I Fucking Want And May Painful Fuck Be Upon The Liberals Trust"

Good point.  Are acronyms frowned on, so long as it is the true name of the trust?  For example, could I name my trust "FBHO TRUST" and then engrave that on the lower?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+ plus transfer fee if you buy online and have it shipped to local dealer (form 3). $75 in my location.  Buy in stock local.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Approximately what would the total cost be for a can in .223, from the cost for a trust, ATF monies and cost of a decent can? I would like to hear a ballpark on total cash outlay. Thanks and Gearhog is GTG, I have used a them a few times.

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I bought a 5.56 can several years ago and in hindsight, I wish I'd purchased a .30cal can instead. I now use my .30cal suppressor on everything from 5.56 to 6.5 to 6.8 to .308 and my 5.56 can just gathers dust. Knowing what I know now, if I was just starting out I'd buy a .22LR can and a .30cal can and be perfectly happy.  Unfortunately, it cost me a lot of money to come to that conclusion.

YMMV, of course.
View Quote
Very helpful, I would be interested in a .30 as well.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the heads up.

Been looking to get into the NFA world, and this was just the push I needed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought this too
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn this site...my checkbook hates you all!!!!!!!! .  Now I need to research this all better
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Damn this site...my checkbook hates you all!!!!!!!! .  Now I need to research this all better
View Quote

Checkbook

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Checkbook

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Checkbook

Bank account....whatever .  Hate using my debit card, yes I still write checks
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#20]
The upside to having a lawyer write your trust is you have someone to sue when the ATF deems it invalid
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For those in the know. Would it be a stupid idea to put a GF on a trust?
View Quote

Very stupid idea.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder if they're trying to sell as many as they can before the market for NFA trusts is destroyed by the impending rule change?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Correct me if I am wrong, but the engraving rule only applies to rifle or other lowers that are turned into SBRs and not factory built SBRs, correct?

Someone want to update the thread with the impending law change?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Tagging this awesome info. for later.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:24:26 AM EDT
[#25]
When I purchased it today, I didn't see any place on their form to add any property.
Just the trustee names, name of the trust, etc.
At what point do I add the property to the trust?

Nevermind. I see that has been answered.

I didn't see any place on 199trust's form to add "authorized users" to my trust. How do I do that?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My LGS did my Trust for $99
View Quote

So if your trust ever shits the bed, what's your gameplan?

Also I wonder if that constitutes unauthorized practice of law in GA.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:01:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When I purchased it today, I didn't see any place on their form to add any property.
Just the trustee names, name of the trust, etc.
At what point do I add the property to the trust?

Nevermind. I see that has been answered.

I didn't see any place on 199trust's form to add "authorized users" to my trust. How do I do that?
View Quote

There's more to fill out on the paper form before you get it notarized than just what you put in the web page. They just use that to build the core of the trust.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:45:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Are acronyms frowned on, so long as it is the true name of the trust?  For example, could I name my trust "FBHO TRUST" and then engrave that on the lower?
View Quote

Goddammit. I wish I would have thought of that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:29:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are acronyms frowned on, so long as it is the true name of the trust?  For example, could I name my trust "FBHO TRUST" and then engrave that on the lower?

Did you already name your trust?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:05:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Great service.

Ordered mine yesterday morning.  

Today I have it.

Glad I've finally done this!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Great service.

Today I have it.

View Quote
Mine was in my inbox this morning too.

Anyone know about the witnesses portion? Would my wife and I be the witnesses and then the notary does their thing below that or do we need two witnesses not named in the trust?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Anyone know about the witnesses portion? Would my wife and I be the witnesses and then the notary does their thing below that or do we need two witnesses not named in the trust?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great service.

Today I have it.

You can't witness your own signature. You need two people not named in the trust. Weird - I didn't think that witnesses were needed... at least not in the other trusts I've seen
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Great service.

Today I have it.

View Quote
In my inbox too. Less than 12 hours from order to delivery.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great service.

Today I have it.

Same here. Wonder how many people bought trusts from here yesterday? Last saw there were about 41 purchased. 149 right now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You can't witness your own signature. You need two people not named in the trust. Weird - I didn't think that witnesses were needed... at least not in the other trusts I've seen
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great service.

Today I have it.

Yet how many dipshits do you think have done that?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Can somebody elaborate on other uses for trusts?  What else could a trust be used for besides NFA items?

As a NY resident, NFA items are still illegal, so I'm not sure how much use I would get out of a trust.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#37]
About to close on my new house, spent several thousand in the last few weeks on appliances/furniture and so on and now I can add this $70 to the total. I hate all of you!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I fent. With how fast Form 1s are now I'll be making an SBR shortly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Can somebody elaborate on other uses for trusts?  What else could a trust be used for besides NFA items?

As a NY resident, NFA items are still illegal, so I'm not sure how much use I would get out of a trust.
View Quote
Estate planning. You can add homes, property, anything to a trust. You can assign beneficiaries for certain property and stuff like that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The upside to having a lawyer write your trust is you have someone to sue when the ATF deems it invalid
View Quote

My attorney has his own NFA trust... I guess if the trust is messed up we'll be cell mates.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe most of the issues with a "bad" trust would only come when you die or it needs to be used to distribute the items for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Well fun stuff now in my future
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#43]
When going to make the purchase for a suppressor do you bring the trust with you if you go to a local shop or email it to an online store like Silencershop?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
When going to make the purchase for a suppressor do you bring the trust with you if you go to a local shop or email it to an online store like Silencershop?
View Quote

I was wondering the same. What's next after the trust?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, there's no reason for them to ever see your trust. They/you fill out and sign the transfer, you submit everything to the ATF, then you wait.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.

In the case of Silencershop, you email, fax, or snail mail a copy of your trust to them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

No, there's no reason for them to ever see your trust. They/you fill out and sign the transfer, you submit everything to the ATF, then you wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and no, if the dealer is filling out the Form 4 they'll need a copy of your trust as that gets submitted with the Form 4 to BATFE. If you are filling out the Form 4 and sending it in the dealer doesn't need to see it, but your trust is not some giant secret squirrel document.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

For those in the know. Would it be a stupid idea to put a GF on a trust?
View Quote
lol

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Estate planning. You can add homes, property, anything to a trust. You can assign beneficiaries for certain property and stuff like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if you put ammo into a trust?  Say a case of 5.56.

Does that mean if you are raided for any reason, the authorities may not seize your ammo?  Does placing money in a trust protect you from asset forfeiture?

If ammo is placed in a trust, can you still use it?  IE shoot the whole case and then just remove it from the trust?  What is the process like?

Can a New Yorker place a 30-round pmag into a trust and be legal, or is the trust subject to the laws of that state?  Can I open a trust in a different state from where my primary residence is and put everything into that trust?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top