Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 8/25/2014 1:49:47 PM EDT
Several members here have used 199trust and can probably speak to how it worked for them. If you're thinking about setting up an NFA trust, this might be a good option for you.

Note: I am not a lawyer. I strongly recommend that you consult with your attorney to verify any state specific restrictions or laws related to NFA devices and/or trusts.

Link left cold as Gear Hog is not an Industry Partner (and is kinda like Groupon): http://www.gearhog.com
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#1]
How timely.
I just changed my mind about owning NFA items.
IN for more info about this outfit from people who have used them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How timely.
I just changed my mind about owning NFA items.
IN for more info about this outfit from people who have used them.
View Quote

They are GTG IMO.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Smoking deal, just sent it about 20 guys, also I went to 199trust website and they have their sale for $99, so this is even better at $69, chatted them up at 199trust and they said the gearhog deal is legit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Was just talking with a few co-workers about forming a trust.
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#5]
that is tempting.

I'm moving next year (same state), so my plan was to create a trust after I move. However, quick research is indicating to me that you dont actually put an address on the trust? Is that correct? Do you have to notify ATF that you have moved (again, same state)?

With Efile wait times dropping, I could probably get the first SBR conversion done before my move next year. No more budget this year for a suppressor, but I was hoping to get one next year.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish I knew more about how the trust works regarding NFA items compared to Form 1 and/or Form 4...
I want me an SBR and maybe a can or three
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#7]
You can use a trust on Form 1 and Form 4s.

It's how you get around the finger prints and CLEO sign off.

OP - I fent. After my thread about the 10.5'' effectiveness, I felt the need to get the NFA ball rolling so much money...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I fo'ed.

Anybody see how to actually use the thing? The link in the page to redeem it doesn't work

ETA: Nevermind, figured the link out. User error

ETA2: FO'ed AND Submitted.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I worked at a law firm and had my boss look at my trust from 199trust.com.  He has done trust/estate law for over 20 years and said it was good to go.  I used it to buy my first suppressor and my form 4 was approved back in May.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I FO'd
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I need to do this!! Tag for anymore info.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag for non mobile use later.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Stupid question but can I purchase the trust now before purchasing or filling out any forums and sit tight until funds are better?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I need to do this!! Tag for anymore info.
View Quote
It was crazy easy, there were like 10 line items to fill out. Email confirmation that it was submitted, and that they should have it done in a few days (longer lead time than usual due to the deal going on).

Hardest part was deciding on a name
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Stupid question but can I purchase the trust now before purchasing or filling out any forums and sit tight until funds are better?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

Once you have paid for this item on Gearhog the link will be sent in your Gearhog order email.
Fine Print

Expires 02/28/2015.
   Limit 5 per person
   Not valid with any offers
   All Sales Final
   Services must be used within twelve months of purchase
   Gearhog.com and 199Trust are not law firms and do not provide legal advice, if you need legal assistance or are unclear of the laws in your state, you should contact a local lawyer before purchasing these documents.

Soooo, buy the deal on GearHog, then set up trust via 199Trust.com before 2/28 next year.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm curious about this too.  I'd like to start the wheels rolling on a suppressor purchase, but the money's not there yet.  Can I fully set up the trust without any actual property in it, and then modify it later?  How difficult is it to update the trust?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm curious about this too.  I'd like to start the wheels rolling on a suppressor purchase, but the money's not there yet.  Can I fully set up the trust without any actual property in it, and then modify it later?  How difficult is it to update the trust?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I read, you put a dollar bill into the trust as property, and then just add your new purchases as time goes on. Some people say you don't need to add any property to it initially, unsure of how accurate that is.

*from reading about them this afternoon after my blind unplanned jump into trusts.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
From what I read, you put a dollar bill into the trust as property, and then just add your new purchases as time goes on. Some people say you don't need to add any property to it initially, unsure of how accurate that is.    

*from reading about them this afternoon after my blind unplanned jump into trusts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got mine done at a gun store when buying my first suppressor, but that's how it was done on mine.   IIRC, the Trust must own something for it to be valid.   So an easy first item to own when opening the Trust is to place One US Dollar in it.

Then as Grantor/Trustee of the Trust, make sure you always have One US Dollar available that is owned by the Trust, as long as it is listed as property owned by the Trust.

Once you get the first NFA item placed into the Trust, you can remove the Dollar if you want to.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes sense.  I might just have to take the plunge.  What better way to learn than to dive in head-first!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#21]
199trust.com is legit ( I got 4 cans on one of their trusts).  This is a smoking deal.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I did my own a few years ago...I think I have about
$12.00 invested buying Quicken will off eBay...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I could buy AOWs!

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#24]
how does this work?  if i buy the trust right now... what do i need to do?

do i simply " buy" the product right now, and simply fill it out later?  im asking because im not sure what information i need to put on it. peoples names? ss#s? etc. im tempted to buy it now.... if i have a little time before i need to actually fill anything out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

do i simply " buy" the product right now, and simply fill it out later?  im asking because im not sure what information i need to put on it. peoples names? ss#s? etc. im tempted to buy it now.... if i have a little time before i need to actually fill anything out.
View Quote

Dont need SS#'s, etc.  Just full legal names of your Settlor/Trustee, co-Trustee and any beneficiaries and their addresses.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to put SOMETHING into the trust. Many people transfer a bill ($1, $5, etc) into the trust... or a single round of ammo, or whatever the hell you want, but something must be part of the trust for it to exist.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#27]
tag for home
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Can I put all my guns in this even if they are not nfa?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#29]
doityourslfdocuments.com

Use the paralegal option
use code "summer" or "james" to bring the total to around 50 or less.

I filled out the info around 11pm, took me less than 10 minutes and had my trust documents emailed back by midnight.

They offer discounts for lawyers which makes me wonder how many lawyers are simply using this service when someone comes into their office for a trust.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Can I put all my guns in this even if they are not nfa?
View Quote

You can but you shouldnt unless you want to send a list of your whole inventory to the atf everytime you add an nfa item to it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You have to put SOMETHING into the trust. Many people transfer a bill ($1, $5, etc) into the trust... or a single round of ammo, or whatever the hell you want, but something must be part of the trust for it to exist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting - do I do that on my own after the trust comes in? Because in the fields they did not ask me for anything like that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can set the trust up and not add anything to it until you are ready to have it notarized.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Dont need SS#'s, etc.  Just full legal names of your Settlor/Trustee, co-Trustee and any beneficiaries and their addresses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well... i bought a trust ! !

looks like you get a " code" . then goto the website, and give the code when your ready to fill out the trust. have until feb to get it done.

looks like i am going to be buying a lower receiver.... or maybe a sig ar pistol soon to put on this trust.  ( most likely ar-15 lower receivers to build later seems to be the best way to spend the money right now.  )
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I've used it for 3 cans and it worked great. It is pretty thorough and covers most of the bases. I feel very comfortable having this trust.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Do the 199Trust documents have any known shortcomings or pitfalls that could bite me later?  I'm thinking about stuff like adding more people to it down the road, or what happens to the trust if I get killed.  After I create it (with my $1 bill), does the trust require any upkeep to remain valid?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Any disadvantage of putting one rifle in the trust as the first 'ownership' for the trust?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do the 199Trust documents have any known shortcomings or pitfalls that could bite me later?  I'm thinking about stuff like adding more people to it down the road, or what happens to the trust if I get killed.  After I create it (with my $1 bill), does the trust require any upkeep to remain valid?
View Quote

The FAQ on their site says they include forms and instructions to make changes later on.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can add and remove people and the validity of the length of a trust varies from state to state but other than that it doesnt have to be renotarized ever if there are no changes.

I guess only time will tell about any future pitfalls or shortcomings but I believe at this time there really hasnt been any for anyone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Any disadvantage of putting one rifle in the trust as the first 'ownership' for the trust?
View Quote

If you are transfering a personally possessed nfa item it would cost you the transfer tax, other than that, no problem if you want to send your personal non nfa inventory list in everytime you add an nfa item/
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Great, another episode of GD "saving" me money with a sale.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#41]
thanks,for the link, i ended up jumping on it, more money afrcom has made me spend

now just to figure out what do with it now that i have it.  how long is the form 1 taking now?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:42:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I need to move to the south
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
thanks,for the link, i ended up jumping on it, more money afrcom has made me spend

now just to figure out what do with it now that i have it.  how long is the form 1 taking now?
View Quote

eFile is about a month.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Done  

Form 1 up next.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Had a real lawyer do mine.

CYA and all.

Plus it was free.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Set-up my trust through them in May (bought it when it was $99 though)
E-filed a form 1 for an sbr on 6/25
Got my stamp 8/16.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:14:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Been wanting to do this for a while now.
Looks like I'll be putting together that sbr
sooner than I thought.

Thanks for the link op!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#48]
OP is always finding deals and posting them here... My credit card hates you.

Now that I am waiting for the trust to get created  - what's next?

1)Once I get the paperwork, go get it notarized?

2) How do I add that $1 to the trust to "activate it" and make it legit?

3) once 1 and 2 are complete, I assume I can run down to the local fun stuff store to order fun stuff, correct?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#49]
NVM answered. Jeez...
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
For those in the know. Would it be a stupid idea to put a GF on a trust?
View Quote

Yes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top