Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/24/2014 7:29:25 AM EDT
What's the best wireless router (best range and reliability) I can buy for under $150?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been pretty happy with my ASUS RT series router. When it comes time to upgrade I will be sticking with Asus.

Lots of choices in lots of price points.

ETA: This is the one i have right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320131&cm_re=asus_router-_-33-320-131-_-Product

For 150 i would probably buy this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115&cm_re=asus_router-_-33-320-115-_-Product
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
not that I am an authority on the subject...but last I heard I think all the cool kids bought net gear.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I have FIOS service.....do I need to use the verizon supplied router or can I just plug any aftermarket router in?
I seem to recall they had to activate my router and register the MAC address....guessing I'd need to do that again.
Was also under the impression that their device somehow interacted with the TV service.

Not to hijack but I figured someone in here might kill,two birds with one stone.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been loving my apple airport express I bought a few years ago. At least 3 trouble free years. And they can be added into with other expresses to act as range extenders.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have FIOS service.....do I need to use the verizon supplied router or can I just plug any aftermarket router in?
I seem to recall they had to activate my router and register the MAC address....guessing I'd need to do that again.
Was also under the impression that their device somehow interacted with the TV service.

Not to hijack but I figured someone in here might kill,two birds with one stone.
View Quote

You will need to use their router as first stop
But you can put it in pass through mode so all it does is pass all info on to your modem
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have been pretty happy with my ASUS RT series router. When it comes time to upgrade I will be sticking with Asus.

Lots of choices in lots of price points.

ETA: This is the one i have right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320131&cm_re=asus_router-_-33-320-131-_-Product

For 150 i would probably buy this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115&cm_re=asus_router-_-33-320-115-_-Product
View Quote
I bought that same one at the behest of the GD nerds. Very happy with it. I runs three computers, a Roku, and a couple phones with no problems ever. It replaced a Netgear.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a used 5th-generation Apple AirPort Extreme. Maybe $75 on Amazon.

I have a 2nd-generation that I bought used in 2008. Still working great. No constant restarts or any silliness like that. Good range on mine and apparently it has gotten better with each successive version. There's also an iPhone app that allows you to access/control it through your phone.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

But you can put it in pass through mode so all it does is pass all info on to your modem
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few weeks ago I was reading that another option is to setup the network with the new router behind it and place the new router in the demilitarized zone.

Apparently it would increase the security.  But not sure on how this works.   Is it worth it?

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
not that I am an authority on the subject...but last I heard I think all the cool kids bought net gear.
View Quote

You heard wrong.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I REALLY like the TP Link wireless AC router.

It has 4 gigabit ethernet ports; dual-band wifi AC capability; TWO usb ports for printer or file sharing; and I THINK you can use it as a wireless bridge.

Also, the price is $100 for wifi AC, which is not that bad right now.

TP Link products have been real good to me.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C7-Wireless-1350Mbps/dp/B00BUSDVBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408896437&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+wireless+ac

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's the best wireless router (best range and reliability) I can buy for under $150?
View Quote

one that comes with dd-wrt installed out of the box.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

The current Verizon-supplied router is the Actiontec MI424WR, Revision I. It's a lot better than the ones (previous revisions) that they used to hand out. You can order a Revision I router from Verizon for $99 plus tax and shipping, or you can get a new one on ebay for ~$80 (free shipping). Then you call Verizon to activate it.

If you want to run a wired network at home, and your house isn't wired for Ethernet, but is wired for coax cable, you can use the coax for the network. Here's where your old Actiontec router comes in handy. Configure it for bridge mode and use it to connect to your second computer. (Your primary router connects to the ONT by coax cable, and then your internal LAN uses the same cabling, but at a different frequency. You are in effect multiplexing two different frequencies over the same wire.)

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:17:02 AM EDT
[#14]
ASUS RT series with Merlin firmware loaded. Fantastic range and lots of prosumer features.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r17679150-Howto-make-ActionTec-MI424WR-a-network-bridge

^ If you have NO fios TV

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20006536-Make-your-actiontec-a-bridge-with-VOD-working-with-REV-D

^ if you DO have fios TV
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i have a netgear nighthawk. it's been perfect.

stay away from any of the liksys/cisco branded consumer stuff. it;s garbage.
View Quote

I've always been happy with Linksys.  Replaced a cheap (free!) wireless router with an Linksys EA4500.  Worked great, excellent coverage, no signal drop.  Loved the fact it had a Guest Network.  

UNTIL... at about a year old, I discovered the guest network stop working.  After a little research I found that this is a very common issue.  Of course it was out of warranty.   It still works fine, except for no guest network, so I'll be replacing it sometime.  I like leaving the guest network open for when people visit, but prefer to keep my stuff private.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#19]

had one and replaced it with the ASUS. The Buffalo was a work horse until it went tits up. Happy with the change.  The Buffalo seemed to have issues when i moved it into a larger house.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I have the Asus RT-AC66U AC1750. It's right at your price range and a great router. Almost all of the computer hardware review sites gave it their Editor's choice reward.

Quoted:
View Quote

And this. Used to be good stuff but it's pretty much all junk now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm still rocking my WRT54G.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Still got mine, but I replaced it with a Linksys EA3500.

Works fine as long as your device is within 40' then it drops signal or has poor signal strength.

It's just a giant cock sucking POS.

ETA:  I liked my 54G.  I could set it up to broadcast to the next town if needed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have an N capable wireless adapter, you're missing out big time with that WRT. I retired my WRT54GL running DD-WRT earlier this year for the Asus AC66U and the difference on an N capable laptop was huge.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you have an N capable wireless adapter, you're missing out big time with that WRT. I retired my WRT54GL running DD-WRT earlier this year for the Asus AC66U and the difference on an N capable laptop was huge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We replaced our WRT54G with an Airport Extreme and now use it as a wireless bridge.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Works fine as long as your device is within 40' then it drops signal or has poor signal strength.

ETA:  I liked my 54G.  I could set it up to broadcast to the next town if needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked that feature with DD-WRT. At one point I rigged a cooling fan and throttled the antenna power way up and added a parabolic antenna. Up around 80mW I was able to get a solid signal from about a block away from my house where I was barely able to get a connection in the driveway before the change. Antenna direction was key though. Outside a 30* fan the signal would rapidly drop off.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I've got the netgear R6300.  Great range, fast and if need be, I can reboot it from my ipad.  
It also allows guest to access it with yor permission without giving out the password.  

Maybe this is common stuff, I don't know.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/262185/netgear_r6300_the_second_fastest_router_weve_tested.html
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#27]
A side question here... Are there any good routers that broadcast like 300-400 ft? Or would I do better setting up a few extenders?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Get a used 5th-generation Apple AirPort Extreme. Maybe $75 on Amazon.

I have a 2nd-generation that I bought used in 2008. Still working great. No constant restarts or any silliness like that. Good range on mine and apparently it has gotten better with each successive version. There's also an iPhone app that allows you to access/control it through your phone.
View Quote

I have two 2nd gen extremes and an airport express.

Generally just work. I will say handoff sucks (from AP to AP) but most do.
Short of the Pakedge stuff I get to use at work that is a little out of my price range, I don't think I would use anything else.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I've had good experience with the Airport Extremes. I had one I was complaining about the speed on, but then I realized it was over SIX years old. It still works fine--it's just a bit slow because it's such old tech. I replaced it with the newest Extreme (the tall one) and it's been great. I never have to restart it and the speed is great since it's a newer AC router with multiple antennas.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
i have a netgear nighthawk. it's been perfect.

View Quote

belkin bought linksys.
www.engadget.com/2013/03/15/belkin-acquires-linksys/

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I REALLY like the TP Link wireless AC router.

It has 4 gigabit ethernet ports; dual-band wifi AC capability; TWO usb ports for printer or file sharing; and I THINK you can use it as a wireless bridge.

Also, the price is $100 for wifi AC, which is not that bad right now.

TP Link products have been real good to me.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C7-Wireless-1350Mbps/dp/B00BUSDVBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408896437&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+wireless+ac

View Quote

I bought and set up one for my uncle last week.

Very impressed with tp-link
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You heard wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You heard wrong.

Maybe, maybe not. All I can say is I installed a r6300 for a client of mine and I thought she'd paid WAY too much, until I got it setup.

It's the bloody fastest wireless router I've ever played with. (admittedly, I don't play with many. Anything that I want to run fast at home runs on wire)

I'm sure there's faster/better stuff out there, but Netgear makes some nice stuff.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:13:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You heard wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You heard wrong.

Actually he is correct - Netgear Nighthawk.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#36]

This is an excellent router.  I used it for years until I upgraded to the Netgear Nighthawk*.  I bought it on sale for $150.

* All the cool kids use Netgear.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I run an asa and hang whatever 5 dollar waps I can scrounge up off the lan side with dhcp off.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have the Asus RT-AC66U AC1750. It's right at your price range and a great router. Almost all of the computer hardware review sites gave it their Editor's choice reward.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Another vote for the ASUS here.

Leaves very little to be desired.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#41]
pretty hard to beat the asus RT line these days
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Meh.  Just installed a free Meraki and I am pretty impressed.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Great router.  Especially with the Tomato Shibby Firmware!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Maybe, maybe not. All I can say is I installed a r6300 for a client of mine and I thought she'd paid WAY too much, until I got it setup.

It's the bloody fastest wireless router I've ever played with. (admittedly, I don't play with many. Anything that I want to run fast at home runs on wire)

I'm sure there's faster/better stuff out there, but Netgear makes some nice stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You heard wrong.

I have the R6300 and its been great thus far. Haven't even had the normal itch to dump the stock firmware for DD-WRT or the like.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:48:51 AM EDT
[#46]
I went with the Netgear Nighthawk. I was going to go with the Asus but a lot of complaints about it dying after a few months and having to constantly reset it
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am also running a ASUS RT-AC66U and it's the best router I have used.  Rock solid and great range, plus it's easy to set up.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I went with the Netgear Nighthawk. I was going to go with the Asus but a lot of complaints about it dying after a few months and having to constantly reset it
View Quote

Good choice.  I love mine.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

consumer grade no, you will need extenders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A side question here... Are there any good routers that broadcast like 300-400 ft? Or would I do better setting up a few extenders?

I have gone ~800-ft with my 2nd generation Airport Extreme.

Granted, there was only a single wall between myself and the router, and I was outside down the street.  But I did a speediest to confirm, and I was definitely still on my own wireless.  Speed was reduced but it still worked.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Granted, there was only a single wall between myself and the router, and I was outside down the street.  But I did a speediest to confirm, and I was definitely still on my own wireless.  Speed was reduced but it still worked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never got that great signal with my older 2nd gen Extreme. I had to have two of them (well, one was a Time Capsule, but same network hardware inside it) to cover my 3 story (basement, plus 2 above ground levels) house. I don't have that problem with the new Extreme--one device is covering the whole house and then some with lots of power/speed. I can get pretty good speed out in the driveway about 150 feet away and through 2 walls plus the furnace/A/C coil unit. The one good thing about the Apple Airport devices is that they truly "just work." No tinkering, no constant logging in to tweak stuff, no rebooting it regularly. They have an app for your phone, but I honestly don't know why I have it installed--I never use it!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top