Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw it this week at a wm in north bama. Course i shoot reloads for under $.09 a round.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:28:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw it this week at a wm in north bama. Course i shoot reloads for under $.09 a round.
View Quote

I find that hard to believe.  Even if you don't include your labor costs, you can't buy components for that little, unless you are using hoarded components from the 70s.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I find that hard to believe.  Even if you don't include your labor costs, you can't buy components for that little, unless you are using hoarded components from the 70s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not lieing...  1-2 years ago midway usa was selling pulled frangible 9mm projectiles for some insane price... something like $40 per thousand before shipping. I have 2 .50 cal cans FULL of them. They are so heavy I can barely move them, but unfortunetly I dont have the time to reload them.

But the cost to reload them would be: $.04/projectile, $.015/primer, $.011/powder, casings: free. Total= $.067/rd
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

He's not lieing...  1-2 years ago midway usa was selling pulled frangible 9mm projectiles for some insane price... something like $40 per thousand before shipping. I have 2 .50 cal cans FULL of them. They are so heavy I can barely move them, but unfortunetly I dont have the time to reload them.

But the cost to reload them would be: $.04/projectile, $.015/primer, $.011/powder, casings: free. Total= $.067/rd
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.  I haven't followed reloading deals much. But there's still labor costs.  If you don't enjoy reloading and you don't need match/USPSA ammo, then why?

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:02:43 AM EDT
[#5]
As I said, I would rather pay $10 a box then sit there and load it, but I dont have a progressive press that feeds cases/primers/powder for me.

Now if that .45 ACP goes under $13 a box I will hold off reloading that too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:04:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, why not?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally, I will never shoot any aluminum cased ammo. Ever.
Out of curiosity, why not?  

Because aluminum punched his grandma in the mouth and left the milk out on the kitchen counter all night... Furthermore, reasons.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#7]
This afternoon I fired 200 rounds of the Federal aluminium through an HK and Glock and both ran flawlessly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 2:26:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a couple boxes to try out. I'm pretty sure it'll be about the same as the CCI Blazer stuff, which, in my experience, was decent ammo in the past. I haven't shot much factory ammo for quite a while. I usually reload all my own 9mm... but I have a one year old daughter that demands a lot of attention, and I have a hard time sitting down at my Dillon anymore, despite having a huge pile of components to work with.

I plan on shooting a bit Sunday, and I'll try to report back.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:23:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy all you can find, my company is sole supplier of aluminum to ATK in Lewiston, ID and that means more overtime for me. We've been working a hell of a lot of OT to keep up with the demand and shipping mega tons to them.

Shoot it up..........I'll ship more.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:00:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Shit you can probably reload it for half that price.  Doesn't take much to payoff a good reloading setup if you shoot even moderate volumes.
View Quote

I have the dies, 30 pounds of herco, and several thousand bullets.
I'll still grab some if I see it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Personally, I will never shoot any aluminum cased ammo. Ever.
View Quote

Your head would probably explode if I told you that not only have I shot aluminum cased ammo but I have reloaded about 1500 rds of Blazer Aluminum 45ACP.  I was shooting light 45 loads in USPSA production, 200gr @ 700fps.  It always ran great.  Could only reload them once.  They never split on the first reload but a second reload split a lot of them at the case mouth and none survived a third reloading in my initial test batches.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Neckbearded 6 boxes of .45 at Wally World here in Northern VA by bringing a friend.  14.97 per box.  Also neckbearded 6 boxes of zq1 brass 9mm for 12.97.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Fired another 200 rounds (400 total) yesterday with no problems.

Stuff is GTG, IMHO.

If I find some more at $9.97/50 I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked up another 600 rounds after work today.  Supposedly this is the last day of the "sale" price, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Picked up another 600 rounds after work today.  Supposedly this is the last day of the "sale" price, but we'll see.
View Quote

I got 600 today too.

The weekly flyer had it as a deal until 9/2.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But will it make my Glock 19 turn into a grenade?
View Quote

It locked my 23C up tight as shit.

Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x481q90/246/dscf3446tz6.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Freak! You have 3 fucking hands!

Anyhow, the shitty wallyworld by me actually had some of this. I guess the neckbeards turned up their noses at it. So, I grabbed some to run through the Hi Power.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

How?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How?

Pulled the trigger and it went bang. Case expanded a bit. Only malfunction in close to 10k rounds I put down the tube and this was the first time I used the Blazer ammo.

So almost a KB.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I got 600 today too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got 600 today too.

SHIT, I thought it was normal pricing I would have gotten more
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:27:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clearly perfection
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pulled the trigger and it went bang. Case expanded a bit. Only malfunction in close to 10k rounds I put down the tube and this was the first time I used the Blazer ammo.

So almost a KB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How?

So almost a KB.

So not even the ammo we are talking about?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So almost a KB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How?

So almost a KB.

It went bang out of battery and didn't kaboom?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How?

So almost a KB.

It was in battery. Only thing I could come up with is that it was a hot load and before the bullet left the barrel it was already starting to extract while still under pressure.  *shrug*
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It was in battery. Only thing I could come up with is that it was a hot load and before the bullet left the barrel it was already starting to extract while still under pressure.  *shrug*
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How?

So almost a KB.

It was CCI Blazer, not the Federal that this thread is about, right?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So almost a KB.

You didn't actually expect for him to read anything other than "aluminium cased" before making his post about an ammunition this thread isn't even about, did you?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You didn't actually expect for him to read anything other than "aluminium cased" before making his post about an ammunition this thread isn't even about, did you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So almost a KB.

Yep.. I herped and derped. I'll quietly step out and slap myself.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yep.. I herped and derped. I'll quietly step out and slap myself.
View Quote

Well at least you owned up to it.

It seems 95% of the time (at least) in GD when a person realizes they made a mistake/missed something they immediately go on the offensive, try to change the subject, or just disappear from the thread.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:36:15 AM EDT
[#29]
The boxer aluminum casings reload fine.  They are fragile and tear pretty quick.  By the 2nd reloading, I lost all confidence in the casing's integrity.

They reload great a single time.

What we need is for Winchester to mfg some of that aluminum 3" .410 stuff.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Good news, there was plenty of it at my local Wal-Mart today. Bad news... It's apparently low powered and not up to Blazer speed. Think Federal Champion in a aluminum case. Blazer is 1145 per second, and this stuff is loaded at under 1100. May be problematic at the range in a Gen 4. Still, any 9mm ammo for ten bucks a box is a steal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#31]
YOU JUST GOT HIS ATTENTION...

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A fun question, which I would never do, but...what happens if you try to reload aluminum cases? I imagine they're not boxer primed.

Case split and go boom?
View Quote

I have reloaded them. They are boxer. Even out of blowback they lasted 3 loads before I chucked them "to be safe"
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Good news, there was plenty of it at my local Wal-Mart today. Bad news... It's apparently low powered and not up to Blazer speed. Think Federal Champion in a aluminum case. Blazer is 1145 per second, and this stuff is loaded at under 1100. May be problematic at the range in a Gen 4. Still, any 9mm ammo for ten bucks a box is a steal.
View Quote

The box still says 1145 fps.

I hope it's over 1085 because I'm using it for a match this weekend where they will have a chrono stage

It cycled my G17 Gen 4 just fine
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You people...

I googled "federal aluminum 9mm" and the FIRST result was LINK  

$9.97

http://imagecdn-3.findnsave.com/193/10516959-420
View Quote

I am in.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I hope it's over 1085 because I'm using it for a match this weekend where they will have a chrono stage

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ran 10rds of this ammo over my F1 chrony last weekend and got a spread of 1128fps - 1141fps from my CZ75.  Seems to be the same as the CCI Blazer I tested about 8yrs ago.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#36]
If your gun fired in battery, and the case didn't fail, and the gun is still in one piece + mechanically sound:

You didn't have a kaboom.  Failure to cycle due to (      intentionally left blank      ) is more accurate.
Parts breakage?
Dirty chamber?  
Dirty gun?
Lube issue?
Low powder charge?
Limpwristing???  I wasn't there, I dunno.

Boxer primed aluminum once fired cases in 9mm and .45 will stand 1 reload for sure, and a 2nd, maybe.

I'm starting to think that the anti aluminum case stuff is due to people's fears of the aluminum oxide on the case surface somehow abrading and wearing out their chamber.

I'm not buying that.  FAR too many shooters have shot untold tons of this stuff, with no issues to report.  If it was a real issue, we'd have seen it by now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I ran 10rds of this ammo over my F1 chrony last weekend and got a spread of 1128fps - 1141fps from my CZ75.  Seems to be the same as the CCI Blazer I tested about 8yrs ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wrong on the Federal specs. The last brass I have shows 1125 on the box. This aluminum shows 1145. Therefore, it is indeed one and the same. Halleluiah.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If your gun fired in battery, and the case didn't fail, and the gun is still in one piece + mechanically sound:

You didn't have a kaboom.  Failure to cycle due to (      intentionally left blank      ) is more accurate.
Parts breakage?
Dirty chamber?  
Dirty gun?
Lube issue?
Low powder charge?
Limpwristing???  I wasn't there, I dunno.

Boxer primed aluminum once fired cases in 9mm and .45 will stand 1 reload for sure, and a 2nd, maybe.

I'm starting to think that the anti aluminum case stuff is due to people's fears of the aluminum oxide on the case surface somehow abrading and wearing out their chamber.

I'm not buying that.  FAR too many shooters have shot untold tons of this stuff, with no issues to report.  If it was a real issue, we'd have seen it by now.
View Quote

Half of the hate is probably from people who spend more time picking up other's brass then shooting, or people who make money off of indoor shooting range brass.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

$13.97 last time i bought federal Champion 9mm at walmart.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You people...

$9.97

Wow. How much is brass cased federal?

Wal-Mart prices are way too high.  You can do better buying cases and half cases online including shipping.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wal-Mart prices are way too high.  You can do better buying cases and half cases online including shipping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You people...

$9.97

Wow. How much is brass cased federal?

And sadly, now they have no reason to drop brass pricing, since they have the cheaper aluminum stuff.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I thought the cases were Berdan primed. I guess they changed that for ease of manufacture.

Bought a box. It functioned good out of a G19 and Shield.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm sure it is just CCI Blazer with a different headstamp. ATK owns both now.
View Quote

I picked up some of the Federal Aluminum last week, in a side by side comparison with CCI Blazer the Federal is hotter. There is more felt recoil.
I'll have to get my chronograph out and compare
Under $10 is a good thing
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#44]
none of my wallys have this.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:44:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nice.  I haven't followed reloading deals much. But there's still labor costs.  If you don't enjoy reloading and you don't need match/USPSA ammo, then why?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Labor costs only apply if you would be doing something else that would be making you money with that time.  If you aren't, then your labor cost is 0.  I know you could trot out the whole concept of opportunity cost, but if I wasn't going to be using that time to make money elsewhere, or forgoing doing some other productive task, then my opportunity cost is 0, because I'm not "sacrificing" another gain.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Labor costs only apply if you would be doing something else that would be making you money with that time.  If you aren't, then your labor cost is 0.  I know you could trot out the whole concept of opportunity cost, but if I wasn't going to be using that time to make money elsewhere, or forgoing doing some other productive task, then my opportunity cost is 0, because I'm not "sacrificing" another gain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is ALWAYS an oppurtunity cost.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There is ALWAYS an oppurtunity cost.
View Quote

yes, but if I was going to be a couch potato and watch TV in the hour I spent reloading.....what cost did I incur (financially)?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#48]
The neckbeards beat me to this deal at our Walmart. Ah well, brass-cased stuff isn't THAT much more. I would've liked to stash a few hundred rounds at $10/box, though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The neckbeards beat me to this deal at our Walmart. Ah well, brass-cased stuff isn't THAT much more. I would've liked to stash a few hundred rounds at $10/box, though.
View Quote

Freedom Munitions Reman is actually cheaper with free shipping
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Reloading is just as much a hobby for me as shooting.  The "cost" of my time at the reloading bench is the same as the "cost" of my time at the range.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top