Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2014 8:58:59 PM EDT
There are a bunch of Turkish manufactured shotguns being sold under different brands here in the US. Charles Daly, CZ, and Mossberg are just a few that come to mind, but I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of.

Are they all created relatively equal, or are there differences? Why are some examples, like the CZs, so expensive?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Paying for the name methinks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Huglu makes some pretty decent stuff. If you think that a $700-800 CZ is expensive for an over under, you've lived a sheltered life
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Huglu makes some pretty decent stuff. If you think that a $700-800 CZ is expensive for an over under, you've lived a sheltered life
View Quote

I know OUs get into new car territory.

CZ shotguns break $1k pretty easily, and for a Turkish shotgun, that's a bit expensive in my book.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a 20 gauge in this brand and price. Red hawk or something similar. Great fit & finish, very good looking gun. Dad gave me his 1969 Savage o/u and I sold the CZ.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]

I belong to the Rough Grouse Society and a lot of those guy's are buying the Tri-Stars to beat around in the woods. These are guy's that shoot clay's with 10K shotguns. I know they have a outstanding reputation and that's what gun most of the guys seem to be buying.
I don't know the differences between the branded name on them though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

CZ shotguns break $1k pretty easily, and for a Turkish shotgun, that's a bit expensive in my book.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most CZs are under 1k, save for the competition O/Us
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Academy has their own line of Turkish flavor named Yildiz.  I've got a 20 for a loaner and it's been decent for the first 2 years. I'm comparing it to a Superposed, Citori and CZ, and it's an ok shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Are the Turkish shotguns Joe Biden approved?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Because if you buy a CZ, you are buying the shotgun and a major importer that probably isn't closing up shop anytime soon, to take care of any warranty issues you may experience.  If you buy the off-brand Turkish shotgun that is only serviced by one retail store, you may have troubles if that store goes out of business or discontinues their Turkish partnership.

I am very weary of the Yildiz at Academy, Girsan or Limberta at Bud's, or Silver Eagle stuff at Dick's Sporting Goods that are store brands.  On the other hand, I would try a Stoeger since their parent company is Benelli/Beretta.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Because if you buy a CZ, you are buying the shotgun and a major importer that probably isn't closing up shop anytime soon, to take care of any warranty issues you may experience.  If you buy the off-brand Turkish shotgun that is only serviced by one retail store, you may have troubles if that store goes out of business or discontinues their Turkish partnership.

I am very weary of the Yildiz at Academy, Girsan or Limberta at Bud's, or Silver Eagle stuff at Dick's Sporting Goods that are store brands.  On the other hand, I would try a Stoeger since their parent company is Benelli/Beretta.
View Quote

I guess you have a point.

ETA emphasis.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#11]
i have a yildiz they are nice shotguns and lots of good reviews pretty good bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

"What difference does it make?"
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a nice Yldiz in .410. It was voted Britain's best new import around 2010. They pay 800 pounds for that gun in the UK, we pay 425.00 ! It comes with 3 screw in chokes and Academy is the sole importer. Briley here in Houston handles warranty. It is what it is, it will never be an heirloom, but it gets me a small bore O/U without spending 2 grand. They let me go through 6 boxes before I found the best Turkish high figure walnut ! It weighs in at 6.5 lbs and it's all proportional to .410. It works for me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i have a yildiz they are nice shotguns and lots of good reviews pretty good bang for the buck.
View Quote

Both I and a buddy bought a Yildiz ou for trap.
Like it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#15]
The Yildiz is a great option and a very nice gun for the money. They don't seem to be going anywhere any time soon.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I would try a Stoeger since their parent company is Benelli/Beretta.
View Quote

A fly by night operation!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Turks make good guns.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ETA emphasis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA emphasis.

Just to make you feel better, I have a Yildiz 20 gauge for the price point so I am not just being a snob.  It did have some issues with stuck brass when I first got it but I was able to get them ironed out myself.  If I were to do it again I would get a "better" brand, even if it is Turkish.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a CZ Bobwhite SxS I paid $500 for about 8 years ago.
it's a lot of SxS for $500.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a CZ Bobwhite SxS I paid $500 for about 8 years ago.
it's a lot of SxS for $500.
View Quote

Same here and that's a very nice upland bird gun for the money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sarcasm, Beretta is one of the oldest continually operating companies on earth.

Interestingly, they've had Turkish suppliers for shotgun parts for many years. My 390 was made almost entirely there, but still a fantastic gun.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd rather pay $1600 for a gently used Silver Pigeon.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a CZ Redhead in 28 gauge, a Lanber 12 gauge and a Stoeger 16 gauge and can't find a damn thing wrong with them. The Remington SPR310 20 gauge I have on the other hand is a piece of shit- but then again, Remington decided to go Russian and ditch the Turk gun that worked.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Turks make good guns.
View Quote
Yeah the turks generally make good weapons. They might have flaws, but mechanically they work well.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Tried a CZ at a local shop recently.  Did not like the way that particular model fit me.  Not sure what model but it was an O/U.  I do have a CZ 452 Trainer in 22lr and a 512 in 22 wmr that I like a lot.

I did get a Stoeger Uplander  SxS with the double triggers for grins and giggles.  I have taken it out to shoot clays a few times and really like the way it handles.  Been 100% reliable so far.  And I am pretty good with it too.  It may replace my 870 Express as my favorite clay gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a CZ Canvasback Limited.  Great gun, and I shoot it better than my Browning Citori in Trap.  Couple guys on shotgunworld approaching 30K rnds in their CZ O/Us.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Chinese shotgun from H&R.  Turkish doesn't sound any worse.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you count an ACOG that I've used on a couple different rifles, I've never paid $1600 for a firearm.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Unless you count an ACOG that I've used on a couple different rifles, I've never paid $1600 for a firearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So which one did you end up favoring?  Did you ever look at the Franchi Instinct that is under $1K new and made in Italy?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So which one did you end up favoring?  Did you ever look at the Franchi Instinct that is under $1K new and made in Italy?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picked up a Fausti Field Hunter for cheap. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yildiz are far, far better than Stoegers.  And CZs (Huglus) are a step above Yildiz.

But honestly, they are all a big bag of meh.  Crappy triggers, questionable longevity, and way more recoil than they should have.  There's a reason Browning and Beretta O/U's cost what they do.  It's because they are worth it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#33]
The Yildiz guns from Academy for $400 and change are a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Are they better than  Baikals?  I had a classmate working on one and she had a lot of trouble.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Are they better than  Baikals?  I had a classmate working on one and she had a lot of trouble.
View Quote

I've owned both Yildiz and Baikal O/Us.  If I had to pick one it would be Yildiz.  But honestly, I don't want to own either.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#36]
This site loves turkish made guns for some reason.

They are junk.  Soft receivers and improperly indexed barrels are the norm.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I am looking at one of these at Academy in .410.  Bought 500 rounds of .410 from CMP for $50 and don't have anything to shoot them with. First world problem and all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Turkey is capable of turning out quality guns, but usually doesn't. Smith & Wesson briefly opened a dedicated factory there for 20 gauge side-by-sides, and they were outstanding.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Not all are created equal..

The Huglu imported by CZ is one of the better manufacturers. Huglu's have always been more $, bought one yrs ago in Turkey and like a idiot sold it, I currently have a CZ/Huglu 20ga canvasback and it is pretty nice.
The ATI Kofi's are pretty nice same with Yidz.
Savage 512's are turds, Mosseberg SR II's aren't too bad.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need to find a better gun shop, IMO................

OP: check the wood-to-steel fitting to see where the noticeable difference is. The lockwork & triggers are other areas where the better Turk grades can be noticed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I am looking at one of these at Academy in .410.  Bought 500 rounds of .410 from CMP for $50 and don't have anything to shoot them with. First world problem and all.
View Quote

Get a S&W Governor................  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This site loves turkish made guns for some reason.

They are junk.  Soft receivers and improperly indexed barrels are the norm.
View Quote

I agree, but the uninformed masses here will shout you down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the real question is, are they Dick Cheney approved?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#44]
My yildiz 12ga o/u is a good shooter for sporting clays. It does what I need it to.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not all are created equal..

The Huglu imported by CZ is one of the better manufacturers. Huglu's have always been more $, bought one yrs ago in Turkey and like a idiot sold it, I currently have a CZ/Huglu 20ga canvasback and it is pretty nice.
The ATI Kofi's are pretty nice same with Yidz.
Savage 512's are turds, Mosseberg SR II's aren't too bad.
View Quote

I bought a Kofs 28/410 combo mostly cause I wanted a 28 gauge for grouse hunting and it weighs 5 pounds even.  It's a good gun for the money.  Compares very much to the Yildiz.  The Dickinson/SW's are a higher grade Turkish shotgun and are seen favorably.  

THink of it like a Spanish shotgun, made to a price point.  Big difference between the different grades of Fausti's, AYA's and Lanbers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top