Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2014 3:28:53 PM EDT
Especially when it's hot enough to unzip your riding jacket down a bit and a really pissed off wasp gets in there. Took a few miles from when I felt it hit my shirt to when it got between my stomach and the tank..... Lit me up something fierce! You've never seen a guy get gloves off as fast as me today......

Riding for 24 years, first time it's happened to me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck that.

I rode through some bees a while back and spent the next 10 minutes waiting to get stung.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The other day I rode through a small swarm of wasps and caught one to the neck. Good times

<--- another other Dave
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have sympathetic death fears when I see a motorcycle locked in 80mph I-696 pre-rush hour bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, nothing better than zipping along at 35 mph on my Zuma 50.

Oh, the freedom...

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a bee down my shirt once. I pulled over as quick as I could but it stung me on the back just as I was coming to a stop. I was jumping up and down like a mad man trying to rip everything off and pull it over my helmet. I can't imagine what the people in the cars going by must have thought.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#6]
lol

Once I decided to pop the face shield all the way up. Never again. Bees on the face is not cool.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I hit a bat going 70+ and it basically exploded on the front of my helmet, by the time I got to the nearest gas station I had bad blood and guts all over, even inside the helmet.

It felt like I got hit with a fast ball.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lol

Once I decided to pop the face shield all the way up. Never again. Bees on the face is not cool.
View Quote

A june bug to the neck at 60mph on a cool summer evening will make you think you got hit with a 30 cal. round.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Gotta pull over calmly when hit by wasps, freak out and your going down. I hit a bird right on the chin at 75mph, I thought for sure it would hurt I got lucky didnt feel a thing. My buddy and me were riding dirt bikes and he hit a rottweiler and bit the trail pretty good . The dog looked stunned then happy and ran off. Swear that dog was smiling. I was glad he was leading.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Got one in my helmet when I opened the visor on a cool day. Never again!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
There is nothing fun about regurgitating your breakfast inside a full face helmet.

Worst impact I've taken was a bird at about 55mph.  I think it approximates a fast ball from a major league pitcher.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have sympathetic death fears when I see a motorcycle locked in 80mph I-696 pre-rush hour bumper-to-bumper traffic.
View Quote

I will never ride my bike on 696. That's just asking to get on the smart bus.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a hornet hit my chest that went up into my helmet and proceeded to crawl around on the face shield all pissed off trying to sting it.  I quick flipped it open and tilted my head back...gone.  I've actually had a few stingy type critters in my face shield over the years.
As mentioned gotta stay calm or worse things will happen.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep, nothing better than zipping along at 35 mph on my Zuma 50.

Oh, the freedom...

View Quote

The GF just picked up a Honda Grom, I'm having more fun riding it than I have in a long time.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I was stung right in the center of the back of neck last summer.  It felt like a red hot needle poking me three times.  By the time I rode the 6 miles home I wasn't feeling quite right.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I hit a bat going 70+ and it basically exploded on the front of my helmet, by the time I got to the nearest gas station I had bad blood and guts all over, even inside the helmet.

View Quote

I hit some kind of medium sized bird (Grouse?) in Montana doing about 110 back in 1994.... it was on the median and took off as I approached. He was pedalling his little ass off and ended up impacting me on the shoulder and helmet with such force that it took my hand off of the left grip and stunned me. When I got my wits back a few seconds later, the base of my neck was tingling like when your arm falls alseep. I was very relieved to be in one piece that far from home.... I was riding from Detroit to Seattle and back and trying to beat a storm. I made such good time that I rode from the Montana/Wyoming border home to Detroit in 19 hours of straight riding..... oh to be young and dumb again!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, I had a bat hit my helmet too, didn't blow up though.  Bounced off and scared the shit outta me.

Also had some sort of stinging insect hit my chest and then climb up and bite me between the helmet strap, and jacket color.  Luckily I was at a red light and proceeded to do the funky chicken while trying to kill that motherfucker

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#18]
One got me on the inner thigh once. No fun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember getting popped by a June bug at about 70.  Even with a leather jacket, that sumbitch hurt, pulled my right hand off the throttle momentarily.

I had a big bruise for about a week.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I was doing about 85mph on rt 27 near the Everglades without a helmet, and I catch this beetle to the forehead that weighed what felt like 1lb. I had to pull over fast to recover and get the guts off my face.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I've done that too. I also hit a possum once, and almost got taken out by a pair of hedge clippers that fell out of a pickup in front of me on a highway.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:42:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Caught a bee between my helmet and my earlobe.  Little bastard must have used liquid fire when he stung me.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A june bug to the neck at 60mph on a cool summer evening will make you think you got hit with a 30 cal. round.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

I had a june bug hit me in the neck just above the collar of my jacket, it left a big red welt on it.

Last week, I had my visor cracked open just a little, and a damn stinkbug hit the bottom of the visor and exploded. The guts got on my face and in my eye. That was nasty. I stopped at the first gas station I saw, and got a bottle of water to pour into my eye and rinse the taste out of my mouth.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Been there too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I drove through a swarm of bees in my truck today and hoped nothing would crawl through a vent and sting me.  
I survived.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#26]
A few weeks ago i rode through several swarms of ants battling it out on the county roads.
I finally ended up with some in my clothing that lit me up and made me ill.
I stopped and got pictures- they were having an ant war.  Winged and wingless alike fighting to the death and i was collateral damage.

They covered an entire intersection and it wasn't limited to that one place.  There were several swarms within about 5 miles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

Took some kind of flying AR500 armored bug to the forehead at 65+ mph, hit me so hard i saw stars.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Be glad it didn't get in your helmet, OP!  

Yeah. Ask me how I know!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I love rolling through a Mayfly hatch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Had a bee get in my helmet once.  I sounded like a little girl.  Nearly crashed.  True story.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I caught a hornet to my right knee and that fucker hurt! Stung me good. I pulled over to the closest gas station bathroom and dropped my pants and pulled a still pumping stinger from my leg. I went back to work and as the day pressed on my knee got more swollen to the point I went to the DR.

Some Bennedryl later and a day it was back to normal.

Then I have had the occasional bee and butterfly, smack the edge of my glasses and the guts get in the eye.....oh the stinging sensation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Dragonflies are surprisingly hard;(
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Dragonflies are surprisingly hard;(
View Quote

So are June bugs at 70+mph... I always wear a full face helmet now
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I hit a crow at 50 or 60mph. It flew out from behind a guardrail and smacked me in the shoulder hard enough to pull my hand off the throttle and swerve toward the guardrail. That was a rather butt-puckering ordeal.

I always wear a full face helmet. One night I hit the biggest damn yellow moth that I've ever seen, right in the middle of my visor. Splat! It was like getting drilled with an egg. I couldn't see anything and had to wipe my visor off with my glove, covering my glove with this slippery, vile, yellow goo. It was gross. Luckily I always carry a pack of baby wipes in my back pack so I was able to clean the mess up before it dried.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#35]
I would rather it be wasp than an inattentive, texting driver.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I got a wasp inside my helmet riding motocross a few years back.  Nailed me once (can wasps sting multiple times?).  Sucked
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I was riding with my face shield up and caught a bee in my helmet, imagine the level of OMGWTF as I pulled over as fast as possible to get that thing out.

I wonder what a bee sting will do to a human eye ball...
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Two biggest things were a sparrow to the knee at about 40mph, didn't hurt a bit.  The second was a praying mantis at dusk when I was going about 55mph.  The mantis made a small cut under my eye, and there was a mess of green goo across my riding glasses which also flowed up into my hair.  I had to pull over to clean the glasses the best I could.

The funny thing was, I could see the mantis lumbering through the air about 25 yards before impact.  I leaned as far over as I could, but nope...splat.

I also tried to kick a possum that was on the centerline of two way blacktop while going about 55.  In retrospect, I'm glad it was a half-hearted kick and that I missed.  I'd had probably broken my foot if I'd connected.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Had a wasp fly up the sleeve of a jacket I was wearing. He started lighting me up, repeatedly. I'll bet the people behind me never saw a motorcycle get shut down so fast. I'm sure it was a sight as I did a frenzied strip session by the side of the road to get rid of that little bastage.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I was riding to work just as the sun was coming up. The guy in front of me flicked his cigarette out the window and it wound up hitting me square in the chest.  

The damn thing turned into a shower of sparks when it hit...scared the shit outta me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was riding to work just as the sun was coming up. The guy in front of me flicked his cigarette out the window and it wound up hitting me square in the chest.  

The damn thing turned into a shower of sparks when it hit...scared the shit outta me.
View Quote

I'd have beat the white right off his ass for that....
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Got one in my helmet when I opened the visor on a cool day. Never again!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

I figured out the bee thing when I was a kid sticking my arms out the window of the car.    

Add this to the list of reasons why I'm on the fence about motorcycles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Always hated when they made it into my helmet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I saw this butterfly coming at 45mph hit just below my glasses under my right eye.  Butterfly's hurt.  Day befofer a be hit just above my shirt dead center on my chest.  Was not fun..
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I had it happen to me years ago, except it was a bumble bee. It got caught in my collar and stung me about 6 or 8 times. At least with the wasp its only 1 sting.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#48]
I've done the wasp dance.  

Got stung a good 5-10 times (wasn't counting) while the brakes were about locked up trying to get to the shoulder, and then you do the "GET THIS FUCKING JACKET OFF NOW" dance, and the wasp lazily flies off as you manage to not connect with it swinging wildly trying to kill it.

ETA  June bugs were worse.  I've gone through a cloud of those at ~80, and my front side was covered in bruises aside from where I had hard armor.  The one in the neck that looked like a hickey was the worst.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol

Caught a sparrow to the middle of the chest at about 70 once, took me a few minutes to get my breath back. Left a huge bruise.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#50]
My wife has been stung 2 or 3 times while we were riding. Once on the face between her cheek bone and the helmet strap and the others I am not sure how they got there, but they stung her under her hair. She has a mop so I guess they were pissed...lol
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top