Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/22/2014 4:06:55 PM EDT
LINK

HOUSTON -- On a Tuesday afternoon in March, Houston Police wrote up a Houston motorist for speeding in Northwest Houston. But he wasn't your everyday kind of driver.

"I've been behind the radar gun," said the man. He asked not to identified, because he too, is a police officer. We'll refer to him as Jerry.

And when HPD handed Jerry the ticket, there was a major red flag. "I immediately know that something's hinky with the ticket," Jerry said.

That's because the ticket-writing officer listed another HPD officer as a witness. "There was no other officer, he was the only officer there," Jerry said.
What he didn't know at the time, is what the I-Team has now uncovered through a paper trail of records--dozens of cases where HPD officers listed witnessing officers on tickets--who were never there.

It was all to allegedly collect hefty overtime checks by later appearing in traffic court.
View Quote

Hunt said the Union is prepared to offer legal representation to Officers Gregory Rosa, Robert Manzanales and John Garcia. The three have been relieved of duty and reassigned to desk jobs while an internal affairs investigation proceeds.

The I-Team found the alleged ticket-rigging scheme took place mostly on highways. In one case in May, Officer Manzalnaes put Officer Farias down as a witness at 11:24 p.m. at I-10 and Westcott Street.

But at the same exact time, records show Farias was writing a ticket nine miles away at I-10 and Wilcrest.
View Quote

Update on page 5.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Scammers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I think this is fairly old news....

That said, it needs to shouted from the rooftops that these assholes were literally stealing from taxpayers by faking their OverTime.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

My bad, news station and Beck had it posted yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Loss of job, barred from ever holding a job as a LEO, charged with theft/corruption/etc., forced to pay back every penny and then sentenced to time in jail and in gen pop.

THAT would satisfy me.  But I'm willing to bet the union will do its best to defend, a plea bargain will be arranged, said officers will receive a stern lecture, no other reprimand, no loss of job, back on the street.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I've said it before and I'll say it again:
I've lived in Houston, and news like this about HPD never surprises me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing will happen.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#7]
pleasepleaseplease let them have actually offered testimony.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]
They have to list a witness on their tickets?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That said, it needs to shouted from the rooftops that these assholes were literally stealing from taxpayers by faking their OverTime.
View Quote

Its not that old. Farias committed suicide last week after finding out he was being relieved of duty.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dont have to but the option is there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt they have to, probably just adding it for extra evidence which is actually just fraudulent overtime.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've said it before and I'll say it again:
I've lived in Houston, and news like this about HPD never surprises me.
View Quote

I've never said that, but yeah this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. They were listing a witness so their buddy could ALSO show up in court and get overtime $$$.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Only the issuing officer goes to court here even if others witnessed it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Oopsie.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No. They were listing a witness so their buddy could ALSO show up in court and get overtime $$$.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, gotcha.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]
This shit is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#18]
wrong if they testified as witnessing the offense.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Easy fix.  Fire all the officers involved
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Fraternal Order of Polices' baby ain't do nufin.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Its not that old. Farias committed suicide last week after finding out he was being relieved of duty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep  

He was 51, and knew he would never have another leo job.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
LINK

HOUSTON -- On a Tuesday afternoon in March, Houston Police wrote up a Houston motorist for speeding in Northwest Houston. But he wasn't your everyday kind of driver.

"I've been behind the radar gun," said the man. He asked not to identified, because he too, is a police officer. We'll refer to him as Jerry.

And when HPD handed Jerry the ticket, there was a major red flag. "I immediately know that something's hinky with the ticket," Jerry said.

That's because the ticket-writing officer listed another HPD officer as a witness. "There was no other officer, he was the only officer there," Jerry said.
What he didn't know at the time, is what the I-Team has now uncovered through a paper trail of records--dozens of cases where HPD officers listed witnessing officers on tickets--who were never there.

It was all to allegedly collect hefty overtime checks by later appearing in traffic court.
View Quote

Hunt said the Union is prepared to offer legal representation to Officers Gregory Rosa, Robert Manzanales and John Garcia. The three have been relieved of duty and reassigned to desk jobs while an internal affairs investigation proceeds.

The I-Team found the alleged ticket-rigging scheme took place mostly on highways. In one case in May, Officer Manzalnaes put Officer Farias down as a witness at 11:24 p.m. at I-10 and Westcott Street.

But at the same exact time, records show Farias was writing a ticket nine miles away at I-10 and Wilcrest.
View Quote

http://i.imgur.com/OPmJQUH.jpg
View Quote

The other guy radar'd him and the other officer caught him.

Traffic teams often work in pairs. One radars the other is the rabbit...etc.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]
So if a citizen lies (commits fraud) while filling out official paperwork it's a felony isn't it?

How is being an actual state employee and defrauding the city not an instant felony?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Sugerland is only a short drive down 59.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

sounds plausible, we'll see what the investigation turns up

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Rut roh
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
9 miles away?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
9 miles away?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
9 miles away?

Ecerythings bigger in TX
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Surerland is only a short drive down 59.
View Quote

How far is Surerland from Hotson?  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. Should be a ground ball. Bye.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So if a citizen lies (commits fraud) while filling out official paperwork it's a felony isn't it?

How is being an actual state employee and defrauding the city not an instant felony?
View Quote

nm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#32]
The whole overtime for court is a complete racket.

Court should be part of a patrol officers regularly scheduled 40 hours.

You could double most city's police force with what they scam on OT.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey cops, cool it. That's what I say.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
9 miles away?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
9 miles away?

Well, he was speeding...

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#35]
A fourth officer under investigation, Rudolph Farias, shot and killed himself Tuesday afternoon in a police parking garage near downtown.
View Quote

http://www.khou.com/story/news/crime/2014/08/21/motorist-caught-in-alleged-hpd-ticket-rigging-scheme/14375177/
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Easy fix.  Fire all the officers involved while removing any points accumulated to the driver's license and refunding their fines.
View Quote

FIFY

If you're convicted based on fraudulent testimony, your conviction should be immediately overturned and any penalties assessed should be negated.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Is this a Houston thing with a witness for a ticket?

ETA:After reading I found the answer. Special kind of stupid those guys are. You can easily write tickets a whole shift but who's got time for all that
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:50:02 PM EDT
[#38]
As long as they made it home and back to court on their day off safely...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#39]
What's this ?
They've outlawed corruption in Texas ?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

The whole hourly wage things for cops is a racket.  They should be exempt just like other professionals and salaried, not paid hourly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LINK

Show me a radar or Lidar that works from 9 miles away...................
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LINK

do you even read Bro
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The whole hourly wage things for cops is a racket.  They should be exempt just like other professionals and salaried, not paid hourly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As someone who has worked in both LE and large corporate engineering I'll say you are wrong when it comes to patrol officers/supervisors that support 24/7/365 operations.

That said, OT costs are a huge issue for depts and that's a management issue to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah... that's exactly what happened.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Union sheepdogs are more equal than the other animals, because they have  more  LAWYERS.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Not suprised at all.....Houston...nuff said
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Who shoots himself over being caught fudging speeding tickets?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A fourth officer under investigation, Rudolph Farias, shot and killed himself Tuesday afternoon in a police parking garage near downtown.

http://www.khou.com/story/news/crime/2014/08/21/motorist-caught-in-alleged-hpd-ticket-rigging-scheme/14375177/
Who shoots himself over being caught fudging speeding tickets?  

Probably went crazy and thought he was a dog.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

When your regularly scheduled 40 hours is Friday-Monday 6P-6A court isn't usually something that fits into your regular schedule.  And telling someone they have to adjust their schedule to have Wed court as part of their regular 40 hours isn't going to fly for most folks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Loss of job, barred from ever holding a job as a LEO, charged with theft/corruption/etc., forced to pay back every penny and then sentenced to time in jail and in gen pop.

THAT would satisfy me.  But I'm willing to bet the union will do its best to defend, a plea bargain will be arranged, said officers will receive a stern lecture, no other reprimand, no loss of job, back on the street.
View Quote

The legal defense is probably a pre-paid insurance plan as part of the union/POA dues and not something the union/POA can chose to not provide.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top