Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's HP Sauce like ?
View Quote

Crack.

I can get it locally in my grocer's "International" aisle (it's British), but before that I just got it on Amazon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What's HP Sauce like ?
View Quote

I looked it up cause I didn't know either. I gotta say, it doesn't sound very good. But, if subnet says it's good, I'll have to try it.

HP Sauce is a brown sauce[1] originally produced by HP Foods in the UK, now produced by the H. J. Heinz Company in the Netherlands. It is the best-known brand of brown sauce in the United Kingdom in 2005 with 73.8% of the retail market in the UK.[2] HP Sauce has a malt vinegar base, blended with tomato, dates, tamarind extract, sweetener and spices.[3][4] It usually is used as a condiment with hot or cold savoury food, or as an ingredient in soups or stews.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I looked it up cause I didn't know either. I gotta say, it doesn't sound very good.

HP Sauce is a brown sauce[1] originally produced by HP Foods in the UK, now produced by the H. J. Heinz Company in the Netherlands. It is the best-known brand of brown sauce in the United Kingdom in 2005 with 73.8% of the retail market in the UK.[2] HP Sauce has a malt vinegar base, blended with tomato, dates, tamarind extract, sweetener and spices.[3][4] It usually is used as a condiment with hot or cold savoury food, or as an ingredient in soups or stews.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's HP Sauce like ?

I looked it up cause I didn't know either. I gotta say, it doesn't sound very good.

It's fucking phenomenal. I'm addicted to the stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This really isn't up for debate guys.
View Quote

Correct.

Your technique sucks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I love over easy eggs on my plate.  I like to dip toast into the yolks.

Just not on a sandwich.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love runny yolks, the white needs to be cooked , its like snot otherwise

Just not on a sandwich.

Ever had a burger with a runny yolk egg on it?

Fucking heaven.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Does it compare to anything else? With 78% of the market over there, it must be good (or everything else just sucks that bad...I mean it is GB)

Sounds sweet and sour with the dates and vinegar. Sort of like an A1? only with less of a savory smokey thing goin'.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
toss in a teaspoon or two of water and you got it made.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This really isn't up for debate guys.
View Quote

Then you should have put it in team.......over here all you gonna get is grief and advice.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Wrong.  Butter or bacon grease in the pan, high heat, don't break the yolk, flip.

Yolk should be the consistency of warm butter when you cut into it, and the edges of the white should be slightly crispy.
View Quote
This, although slightly runnier yolk is my preference.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:40:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Runny yolks or GTFO.

View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]

My mother used to make those when I was a kid, pure awesomeness

ETA:  Pics of properly cooked fried eggs:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1658327_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wrong.  Butter or bacon grease in the pan, high heat, don't break the yolk, flip.

Yolk should be the consistency of warm butter when you cut into it, and the edges of the white should be slightly crispy.
View Quote

This....this is how
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does it compare to anything else? With 78% of the market over there, it must be good (or everything else just sucks that bad...I mean it is GB)

Sounds sweet and sour with the dates and vinegar. Sort of like an A1? only with less of a savory smokey thing goin'.
View Quote

It's closest US equivalent is probably A1, but that's not saying much. They really are pretty different.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I throw a bit water in the pan when it's about half cooked and put the lid on. It steams the top of the egg cooked without risking a broken yolk in the flip. Perfect every time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The yoke of failure rests heavily upon your shoulders.  
View Quote

<golfclap>

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:56:10 PM EDT
[#17]
WTF. Crack the yoke? GTFO you communist pig-dog.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#18]
broken yolk...the sign of ham-fisted egg handling.

OP, if you like your eggs that way, then you go right for it.  but please don't try to foist that shit off as "correct".
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Cast iron pan, medium heat.

1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp unsalted butter until liquid

2 eggs, cracked gently on side of pan, laid gently into the simmering oil/butter mixture

Turn when edges harden, turn heat off immediately

Lay upon a slice of whole wheat toast and cover with same.

Enjoy. If the yolk runs down into your shirt front you must be living right.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I feel so bad for you guys.  Hell, I'm sure half of you don't know what a good bagel is, or taylor ham, or good pastrami.
View Quote

Theres no such thing as a good bagel, and I don't know what taylor ham is but I don't give a fuck. I've got biscuits, sausage gravy, bacon, country ham and fried chicken. I don't need that other shit. (Pastrami is good though).
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Theres no such thing as a good bagel, and I don't know what taylor ham is but I don't give a fuck. I've got biscuits, sausage gravy, bacon, country ham and fried chicken. I don't need that other shit. (Pastrami is good though).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel so bad for you guys.  Hell, I'm sure half of you don't know what a good bagel is, or taylor ham, or good pastrami.

What could be bad about a bagel?

BTW, I do envy you southerners with the B&G.  Altho if that was available here, I don't know if i would be able to control myself.  I'd be 500 pounds lol.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Theres no such thing as a good bagel
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

You've obviously never been to a bagel shop run by Orthodox Jews that cooks them in a brick wood-burning oven and serves them fresh.

If your only experience with bagels has been the spongy pre-made stuff in the stores, or the leather-like texture of Einstein's bagels, then I can understand why you would think that way.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You've obviously never been to a bagel shop run by Orthodox Jews that cooks them in a brick wood-burning oven and serves them fresh.

If your only experience with bagels has been the spongy pre-made stuff in the stores, or the leather-like texture of Einstein's bagels, then I can understand why you would think that way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

If I ever have the chance to try a bagel made by Orthodox Jews in a woodfired brick oven I will. The only bagels I've ever had have been in a bag or from Panera I think.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If I ever have the chance to try a bagel made by Orthodox Jews in a woodfired brick oven I will. The only bagels I've ever had have been in a bag or from Panera I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

That's my entire point, you don't have access to good bagels and I am saddened by that fact.

Your reply of "Theres no such thing as a good bagel" was just a silly, childish post that you should apologize for.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

If you ever find yourself in Montreal then go here:

http://www.stviateurbagel.com/bakeries-and-cafes/St-Viateur_Bagel_Shop

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

That's my entire point, you don't have access to good bagels and I am saddened by that fact.

Your reply of "Theres no such thing as a good bagel" was just a silly, childish post that you should apologize for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

snip

It's just a difference of opinion, based on his lack of experience.  He doesn't need to apologize for anything.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:40:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's just a difference of opinion, based on his lack of experience.  He doesn't need to apologize for anything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bagel ignorance is no joking matter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#29]
First fry some homemade sausage.
Second break eggs into sausage grease and fry over easy.
Third make gravy with remaining grease.
Fourth crumble biscuit on plate, place egg on biscuit and break yolk.
Fifth place fresh tomato slice on top of egg and cover all with gravy.
Eat with the sausage you fried.

You could also use a biscuit, sunny side up egg, and red eye gravy, but then you have to fry salt cured ham instead of sausage.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't need to!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't need to!  

MOTHER OF GOD!!!  I just, like, jizzed...everywhere

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Hp sauce is like a sweeter tangier and less peppery A-1. Subnet is maintaining his Angliphile creds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll take mine scrambled and well done.  No runny chicken fetus for me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Toad-in-a-holes.

Hell yes they're awesome. I make my holes smaller than that so you only see the yolk poking through.

The trick is to have your pan at just the right temperature so your bread toasts before your yolk is done but slow enough to get the white done.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Toad-in-a-holes.

Hell yes they're awesome. I make my holes smaller than that so you only see the yolk poking through.

The trick is to have your pan at just the right temperature so your bread toasts before your yolk is done but slow enough to get the white done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Toad-in-a-holes.

How come I have this sudden urge to blow up put on a Guy Fawkes mask when I see one of those?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's HP Sauce like ?

Thanks for the input.

Looks like I'll have to try it, but after a few minutes of interwebz search I don't see where I can get it locally.

Did I miss something or do I need to have it shipped in ????
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Some people don't know how to do this correctly, I see people doing it all different ways.  I'm not sure if this is the Italian American way to do it or what, but it's by far the best way.

Oil or butter in pan on medium high heat.
Break a whole egg directly into pan.
Immediately break the yoke and let it go where it wants to, do NOT stir it up.
Let the egg cook for a very short period of time, soft and bit liquidy on top is preferred.  Do NOT flip the egg over.

Slide egg onto sandwich of choice.

Enjoy.

You're welcome.
View Quote

First, its yolk.  Secondly, never break the yolk.  If you can't spell it, you can't understand how to cook it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

The proper sequence:

1.  Take piece of bread, preferably Japanese bread, and cut a hole in the middle.
2.  Fry bacon.  Lots of bacon.
3.  Remove bacon.
4.  Drop bread in bacon grease toasting both sides.
5.  Crack egg into hole.
6.  Salt & pepper to taste.
7.  Flip to set white but not yolk.
8.  When set, remove and slap in other piece of bread (may need to use butter or better yet, more bacon).
9.  Remove toast (this is bottom of sammich).
10.  Put bacon (lettuce and tomato, if desired) on this piece then carefully put egg/toast on top.  Eat it, motherfucker!!!

There's a reason Italy isn't a superpower.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This.

The proper sequence:

1.  Take piece of bread, preferably Japanese bread, and cut a hole in the middle.
3.  Remove bacon.
5.  Crack egg into hole.
8.  When set, remove and slap in other piece of bread (may need to use butter or better yet, more bacon).
10.  Put bacon (lettuce and tomato, if desired) on this piece then carefully put egg/toast on top.  Eat it, motherfucker!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

The proper sequence:

3.  Remove bacon.
5.  Crack egg into hole.

I lived in Japan 3 years. Wtf is Japanese bread? Are you talking about shokupan?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Some people don't know how to do this correctly, I see people doing it all different ways.  I'm not sure if this is the Italian American way to do it or what, but it's by far the best way.

Oil or butter in pan on medium high heat.
Break a whole egg directly into pan.
Immediately break the yoke and let it go where it wants to, do NOT stir it up.
Let the egg cook for a very short period of time, soft and bit liquidy on top is preferred.  Do NOT flip the egg over.

Slide egg onto sandwich of choice.

Enjoy.

You're welcome.
View Quote

14'ers just gotta 14....right?

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Didn't read all the replies, but I don't flip eggs. When the whites are almost set around the yolk, I grab a small pot cover(glass), throw an ice cube in the pan, cover, and serve my eggs when the yolks are done the way I like them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input.

Looks like I'll have to try it, but after a few minutes of interwebz search I don't see where I can get it locally.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's HP Sauce like ?

Thanks for the input.

Amazon is your best bet. That's what I had to do for years, until I moved to a town that had an awesome grocery store.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Just not on a sandwich.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love runny yolks, the white needs to be cooked , its like snot otherwise

Just not on a sandwich.

Correct....I prefer toast to toasted on one side only, and leave the other side for sopping up the yellowy goodness.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Over-easy or GTFO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I bet you don't know what a 30rd mag looks feel like.....amiright?

Former NY here, pal, and an "Italian American" as well, paisan.  You don't know what you're talking about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet you don't know what a 30rd mag looks feel like.....amiright?

Former NY here, pal, and an "Italian American" as well, paisan.  You don't know what you're talking about.

This is where I was heading as well.  Just no Paisan involved.  Sounds like a Downstater
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#45]
If you're afraid of breaking the yolk when flippng the egg, just spoon some hot bacon grease over the yolk while frying the egg.   It will cook the top and look like you flipped it during cooking.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Negative for me.  Do it as you wish.

I stir up the eggs a bit then pour into a pan.  Cook well.  Flip over.  Cook more.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
BTW, anyone who says "man food" like that is clearly trying to compensate for a small penis.
View Quote

Kind of like someone who insists that their crappy way of frying an egg is superior to everyone else's?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Kind of like someone who insists that their crappy way of frying an egg is superior to everyone else's?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW, anyone who says "man food" like that is clearly trying to compensate for a small penis.

I can't get over the fact someone who registered today has two culinary threads in GD going... With a bit of an attitude with like 60 posts.

Can I get an IP check in isle 1?

ETA: Username adds to the curiosity.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I prefer this method
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Amazon is your best bet. That's what I had to do for years, until I moved to a town that had an awesome grocery store.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's HP Sauce like ?

Thanks for the input.

Weird, I never knew HP Sauce was rare in most of the US. You can find that stuff at every grocery store in Houston, as far as I know.

Though that may be due to all the Brits living here because of the oil industry.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top