Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2014 8:15:33 AM EDT
Been seeing a lot of these phrases lately like "check your privilege" and similar on social media. Is this the new thing to replace the white guilt that I'm all out of?

When did this get started?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#1]
White Privilege is just a synonym for Black Prejudice.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I pay absolutely zero attention to that horseshit
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:21:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:22:09 AM EDT
[#4]
WTF does "Check your privilege" mean?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Quit acting white.  Everything is your fault because you're white.  

I think
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I must of been absent the day they were handing all this white privilege out
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes to the OP, and yes to this as well.

although it's not just used for justifying racism.  "Privilege" is also used as a catch phrase for justifying bigotry towards men, heterosexuals, non-transexual (or "cis" according to tumblr).

Basically, if you want to lash out at a group and blame the entire group for actions of individuals... just claim they're "privileged" and therefore they should feel guilty for what they've done to you.  Cos you owe them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Been seeing a lot of these phrases lately like "check your privilege" and similar on social media. Is this the new thing to replace the white guilt that I'm all out of?

View Quote

Because the term "white guilt" hits too close to home for liberals who realize that not a damn white person alive today is responsible for actions of white men 153+ years ago.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Because the term "white guilt" hits too close to home for liberals who realize that not a damn white person alive today is responsible for actions of white men 153+ years ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.  Now they want to claim you've "inherited" the privileges from them.  So that they can continue to claim you're guilty for pretty much being born.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#10]
That's odd.  I feel neither privileged or guilty.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll check my white privilege when they check their victim complex.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep it's sarcasm
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#13]
It's just the latest tactic to try to silence dissent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#14]
You are privileged just for being able to start a white privilege thread.

Get used to it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#17]
White guilt is self-imposed. White privilege is an accusation. Both are still a form of ethnic shaming and blaming. Both are products of critical theory. Broken down to it's most basic form, it's an attack on white heterosexual protestant penii of European descent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I think
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think

The simple way to put it is 'STFU' and accept your fate.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I must of been absent the day they were handing all this white privilege out
View Quote

It's a collectivist thingy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll check my white privilege when they check their victim complex.

View Quote

Niiiiiiice! I like that statement, and since its my thread, I'm borrowing it for my sig line
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Time to check the Heterocage and privilege my White.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's just the latest tactic to try to silence dissent.
View Quote

Pretty much this.  No matter what you say it is invalid because of your white privilege.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is a shame because we should be credited with ending slavery here and being in the vanguard to end the practice worldwide. Western European heritage thinking.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think

Not necessarily just being white. Could be male privilege.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't know. Don't care, and give no thought to it in anyway.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#27]
More left wing racist garbage.  Same as the term "politically correct" is a vehicle to limit free speech, expression and description, "white privilege" is a racist term being used to attempt to raise a guilty feeling.  As for me, I am not politically correct and I could give a flat bird shit about white privilege.  I have what I have because I earned it, worked and sacrificed for it, nothing was given to me, no free ride.  They can kiss ay ass.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I feel the same way brother.

Guilt is like a bag of cement anyway - all you have to do is set it down

I harbor precisely zero white guilt, and whatever privilege I have accrued (white or otherwise) is due to my own hard work, accomplishment, and sacrifice.

If someone hates me for having that viewpoint, I am beyond the point of caring if they wind up consumed by their impotent rage. I'm nearly 100% certain that they will live their lives being shallow, miserable, self-entitled victims. While I realize my feelings on the matter aren't very charitable or kind, being personally responsible for every blight in the world past, present, and future has made me cynical and hard-hearted when it comes to perpetual victims.

Meanwhile, I will continue to "oppress" them by living well

tl;dr - I'm fresh out of fucks to give to anyone who refuses to bootstrap their own life.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

The people I know that are successful are that way because of choices they made, nothing at all to do with race.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I harbor precisely zero white guilt, and whatever privilege I have accrued (white or otherwise) is due to my own hard work, accomplishment, and sacrifice.

If someone hates me for having that viewpoint, I am beyond the point of caring if they wind up consumed by their impotent rage. I'm nearly 100% certain that they will live their lives being shallow, miserable, self-entitled victims. While I realize my feelings on the matter aren't very charitable or kind, being personally responsible for every blight in the world past, present, and future has made me cynical and hard-hearted when it comes to perpetual victims.

tl;dr - I'm fresh out of fucks to give to anyone who refuses to bootstrap their own life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

taking the initiative privilege having mofo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By THOF.:
I must of been absent the day they were handing all this white privilege out http://goo.gl/jK2JDJ
View Quote

I don't think so
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I deserve some "Privilege"  I pay a shit ton of taxes that supports the FSA's lifestyle and they don't even send me a Christmas card.

FBHO
and
FEH

It used to be a matter of pride in my family that my great grandfather fought in the Civil War. Then I found out he wore Blue.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

First post gets it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Its another liberal term used to divide as usual.  Its some insane nonsense and I suggest you pay no attention to it..
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:57:36 AM EDT
[#36]
With White Privilege being such a concrete object, when will we see racial reassignment surgery become a new big thing?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Sorry I'm not going to feel guilty because someone else is a sack of shit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^What he said.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:19:45 AM EDT
[#40]

Great song - and completely accurate too

Obeying traffic laws and paying taxes for example is completely optional ... thanks to being white. As a conservative white male in particular I was born with an 850 FICO score, giving me the ability to walk into any financial institution in the country for an unlimited line of credit - or an unsecured personal loan for whatever dollar amount I need.

The best part? Repayment is optional and completely at my discretion ... thanks to being white. If the bank needs some of that money back they'll just do what they've always done: raise fees and fines on the poor. Fuck em, they are poor.

I'd highly recommend being white to anyone who only cares about themselves. It's completely awesome.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#41]
I listened to an interesting podcast where a couple of black journalists changed their twitter picture to a white person and they were shocked at how different they were treated. Under their real picture they received regular hate replies. Afterward without changing anything else the hate disappeared and some of the same people that trolled their posts in the past actually responded to them thoughtfully. One of these days I'd like to try it myself by creating a black persona on twitter to see what I get. I don't really doubt the existence of white privilege.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#42]
If those who use the phrase would like to take on the privelage that most of us have experienced they can fucking have it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#43]
tell the ignorant masses that if they listen and promote gangster rap yet scream about justice and inequality they are wrong.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#44]
OMG you not checking your privilege is one of my triggers
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#45]
White privilege or white guilt, I have neither.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I have earned every privilege I enjoy.

I have zero guilt about it.

I am white, deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#47]
It's a white flag, indicating that they have lost the debate and have no retorts beyond appeals to emotion and name calling, and should be treated and called out as such.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OMG you not checking your privilege is one of my triggers
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#49]
people who use and say "white privilege"

are just GREEN with envy
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#50]
I have no white guilt.  I am humbly thankful to God Almighty that he had me born in the USA instead of Asia or Africa.  But that would be true whether I was black, white, or whatever.  Being born American is the greatest privilege there is...no offense intended for our Canadian, Aussie, Kiwi, and Brit brethren.

Anyone born in the USA, raised here, or legally immigrated has a privilege that other people die trying to get for themselves.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top