Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/21/2014 10:01:59 PM EDT
We've all endured them: bratty kids whose parents don't care about discipline, nor about what a spectacle their family of crotch fruit is making of them. Yet if we try to exclude the kiddies, we get sued for "discrimination." What do do?

There's a type of establishment into which it is illegal to bring children. I'm talking about places that offer "adult entertainment." If you so much as put a sign on your front door advertising adult entertainment, it becomes a crime to bring a child into that place, or to admit a child.

There's no law which says you must truly offer adult entertainment. And if you do, the entertainment may be as bland as a pack of nude playing cards, available only by request. Or a topless or nude lady playing a guitar, a la Jenny in Forrest Gump (by request, of course, and in the privacy of one's dining nook).

Yeah, this will trim one's clientele a lot, but as soon as word gets around (that loud, obnoxious kids are essentially barred from entering), they'll be back.

Any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Or just call it a private club.

Pay $1 to join the club. Rules of said club include "no minors".

Done.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
We've beat this horse way past death
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Eat at home. Otherwise, you might see and hear things that you don't like.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#5]
this is a story from reddit.  this is not me.

"So a while ago I had decided to treat myself and go to Burger King. I hadn't had the greatest of days and I had a headache coming on. It was a very long line and I was at the end of it waiting patiently. When behind me comes this woman yapping on her cellphone with a little monster of a child. This kid was out of control, screaming, punching his mother throwing around a gameboy whenever something didn't go right in the game. The mother didn't seem to pay any attention to him and his continued yelling of 'I want a Fucking PIE'. After about 5 minutes of the line with these people behind me, I had gone from a headache to a full on migraine, but nothing was going to stop me from getting those burgers. I calmly turn and ask her nicely if she can please calm or quiet her child down. Immediately she gets up in my face telling me I can't tell her nothing about raising her child and to mind my own business. I nod and turn around, shes still yelling at the back of my head when the child cries out again how he wants a pie, the mother consoles him, calling him sweety and ensuring they'll get pies for lunch because she loves him so much. Things immediately go back to the they were and I wait another 5 minutes before getting to the front of the line. It turns out it was so slow because they had 1 trainee on cash during the lunch hour rush. All I can think of is how the people behind me ruined my splurge and gave me this headache. I then decide to ruin their day. I order every pie they have left in addition to my burgers. Turned out to be 23 pies in total, I take my order and walk towards the exit. Moments later I hear the woman yelling, what do you mean you don't have any pies left, who bought them all? I turn around and see the cashier pointing me out with the woman shooting me a death glare. I stand there and pull out a pie and slowly start eating eat as I stare back at her. She starts running towards me but can't get to me because of other lineups in the food court. I turn and slowly walk away."
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel like kicking the motherfuckers when they come into my restaurant. One time I had this little twat come in screaming her brains out, hitting and throwing shit around. 3 of my tables requested to move into other rooms, and since we were running close to capacity, I was forced to put them in 3 separate rooms. All because some assholes couldn't put a muzzle on their animal. Not a small restaurant either.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's another way.

There are places that are "No kids allowed".

They wind up getting vilified, even here at Liberty loving Arfcom.

"Surely they don't mean my kids. Everyone loves my kids, no one could possibly not want to spend time around them."
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I feel like kicking the motherfuckers when they come into my restaurant. One time I had this little twat come in screaming her brains out, hitting and throwing shit around. 3 of my tables requested to move into other rooms, and since we were running close to capacity, I was forced to put them in 3 separate rooms. All because some assholes couldn't put a muzzle on their animal. Not a small restaurant either.
View Quote

And if you asked the PITAs to leave, you'd be excoriated on social media (including Arfcom) for being unkind to precious little babies...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And if you asked the PITAs to leave, you'd be excoriated on social media (including Arfcom) for being unkind to precious little babies...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I decided to be an asshole by constantly reminding them to save room for dessert and ice cream while they were eating their meals. Little shit got super ramped up and raged on his parents when they said no. Must've been a fun ride home.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:27:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I decided to be an asshole by constantly reminding them to save room for dessert and ice cream while they were eating their meals. Little shit got super ramped up and raged on his parents when they said no. Must've been a fun ride home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:53:36 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2150714624/hFB9A961F/

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:46:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:48:31 AM EDT
[#13]
crotch fruit
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:54:24 AM EDT
[#14]
My kids were never loud or obnoxious.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:58:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:01:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I would not hesitate to take my kids anywhere(amazing how a little time explaining proper behavior in public pays off)  However, the places I tend not to go are not accommodating to kids.   That involves things like no kids menu or kid friendly items.  Everything is the adult price and has more exotic sauces and vegetables.  And, no milk to drink.   It becomes expensive and a pain in the ass to eat there with kids so I don't go.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:41:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://terrificparenting.com/parenting-solutions/tantrum-fixer/uploads/kid_throwing_tantrums.jpghttp://www.happyfreespirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/tantrum.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JzsxSLPF-kk/UAlzrBG5N0I/AAAAAAAAF0w/rpMoXB_lGkE/s200/how_to_deal_with_temper_tantrums+in+autistic+child.jpghttp://www.metrokids.com/Blogs/FYI/December-2011/Scientists-Dissect-Tantrums/tantrum.jpghttp://mamiscool.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/children_temper_tantrums1.jpghttp://cdn1.babyzone.com/images/2013/04/toddler-tantrum-photo-420x420-ts-86484517.jpghttps://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRd9nllEVO1ZQQNC-ozVE15qGbi-m3Y7GDJthDG6l953p00YFnu

Best.
Vasectomy
Advertisement
Ever.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:45:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:54:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Kids suck. I'm sorry for my parents that I ever was one.

The laughter of a child is like nails on a chalkboard to me; their wails are like an ice pick in my ear.

Whoever said children should be seen and not heard was brilliant.

eta: I know, I know - everyone says it's different when it's your kid. That isn't logic at work, though. It's pure biology. Of course, sometimes I think the only thing keeping some people from strangling their kids is the threat of jail time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:59:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Children are raised by the village, not the parents.

We need more loud children in restaurants in order to allow the villages to help raise that child.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:00:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:01:38 AM EDT
[#22]
If you can afford a $50 steak, you can afford a $20/hr. babysitter.  But then, that would entail personal responsibility.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:11:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We've all endured them: bratty kids whose parents don't care about discipline, nor about what a spectacle their family of crotch fruit is making of them. Yet if we try to exclude the kiddies, we get sued for "discrimination." What do do?

There's a type of establishment into which it is illegal to bring children. I'm talking about places that offer "adult entertainment." If you so much as put a sign on your front door advertising adult entertainment, it becomes a crime to bring a child into that place, or to admit a child.

There's no law which says you must truly offer adult entertainment. And if you do, the entertainment may be as bland as a pack of nude playing cards, available only by request. Or a topless or nude lady playing a guitar, a la Jenny in Forrest Gump (by request, of course, and in the privacy of one's dining nook).

Yeah, this will trim one's clientele a lot, but as soon as word gets around (that loud, obnoxious kids are essentially barred from entering), they'll be back.

Any thoughts on this?
View Quote

The Red Lobster ain't fine dining bro. Check yo privilege.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:14:18 AM EDT
[#24]
If you have a kid, that means you entered into a contract to bring them up in the world. The world has certain rules.

Some of those rules are pretty simple, like etiquette and manners. Table manners. Simple stuff.

If your kids are annoying as fuck, they do not belong in fine dining establishments. Simple as that.

They're too young to know better? It's not the kids fault their parents are dumbasses that took them to the restaurant in the first place.

They're old enough to walk and talk, but they misbehave and are uncontrollable, but you think you should still be able to enjoy a nice dinner every so often? That's fine. But if you can afford to dine, you can afford to tip. And if you can afford to tip, you can afford a babysitter.

If your kids are loud and annoying, they do not belong in restaurants or theaters or opera houses or libraries until YOU through YOUR PARENTING fix the problem.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:24:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Some parents and their kids need to be beat severely around the ears, eyes, nose, mouth and throat.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:27:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I was expecting a storm of butthurt bad parents by now.  So far, not so much.  

I put something like this up on Facebook the other day and my cousin, who is expecting, about had a stroke.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#27]
The Vortex in Atlanta is one such establishment.  

18+ to go in.  they have stripper poles and if you believe the menu, spontaneous stripping is a constant threat.

from what my last waitress there said, people have tried to sneek their babies in via large purses.  One family had a toddler on one of those harnesses and wanted to sit outside on the patio area thtat butts up to the sidewalk, seperated by a fence, and keep their kid lashed to the fence so they could have their burger.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:45:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah- and my dogs never bark.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Any thoughts on this?
View Quote

That seams like a hell of a lot of trouble.....vs just having the manager walk over to the stupid parents and tell them to control their kids, or leave the restaurant.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:06:49 AM EDT
[#30]
I went out with a friend his wife and twin boys when they were about 3.

I had never been part of a circus like that before.

This was about 25 years ago but I still remember being embarrassed .

they covered that place with Chinese food and just kept going on and on.

My friend left like a 100% tip but even so I would have told him to not ever come back.

My daughter even when three never was bad.  If it started looking like she was going to pull a stunt we would take her to the bathroom or the car.  She learned that was not acceptable
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:12:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That seams like a hell of a lot of trouble.....vs just having the manager walk over to the stupid parents and tell them to control their kids, or leave the restaurant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any thoughts on this?

Then the fatass mom gets on facebook, talks about how evil the restuarant is, and the local news reports about a horrible manager who hates children.

Good PR.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:14:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Nobody else likes your children as much as you do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife and I were damned fortunate in that regard. Our daughter was always well behaved, extremely polite, and had table manners befitting a proper young lady - not a feral animal.

Money was fairly tight when our daughter was very little, so eating out was a rare treat for a couple of years. She knew that eating in a "grownup" restaurant was a special occasion, and that her behavior needed to reflect it. It helped that she tended not to have discipline problems. All kids need structure and boundaries, and she had plenty of both - along with a clear understanding of consequences (if she acted out we would leave immediately and never return). She also had plenty to do (coloring books, drawing pad etc).

These days I see a lot of young parents trying to bribe their kids into behaving, pleading with them to behave when they aren't doing so, and then trying to reason with them as they are having an emotional breakdown. I'm no child psychologist, but that always struck me as the wrong approach. My wife and I always had better luck verbalizing specific boundaries, reinforcing good behavior, and following through on consequences for bad behavior. We were also realistic about our expectations for behavior: you can't reasonably expect a two-year-old to sit quietly in a movie theater for two or three hours, for example. Our brilliant solution to movie theaters? We watched movies at home, to avoid the risk of upsetting the other patrons. Once she was old enough to enjoy, and sit through, age-appropriate movies we began taking her to the theater.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:19:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Put yourself in public and you're going to have to deal with the public.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:20:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't blame the kids, kids are kids, they can't help it, I blame the parents.

We have a two and a half year old, sometimes she is fussy, we don't take her to nice restaurants, if we eat out at a regular restaurants we try to eat early when they aren't busy, 50+% of the time she doesn't make a noise and is happy with crayons, if she starts to fuss she gets the ipad to watch a movie (with the sound off) or we take turns eating while the other person plays with her and keeps her quiet.

So far that has worked all the time, the day it doesn't we will ask for the check and the rest of the food to go.
View Quote

That sounds like reasonable parenting. You are working with the kid. I think this thread is more about those parents who rationalize the behavior saying, well, they're kids; that's how kids act. Then that parent proceeds to dismiss the behavior and ignore little Johnny and Susie as they continue to act out. Parents who sit by and do nothing are the worst.

The OP specifically cited fine dining establishments, too, as the scene of the crime. I can understand parents who let their kids run around and be little shits in buffet restaurants and the like because it's low class and you expect to find that there (sorry to any of the members of the exclusive Golden Corral and Chinese Buffet Restaurant diner's club and the like).

If I'm paying $70 a plate and some kid is throwing mashed potatoes? Fuck that. Restaurant and manager, in my opinion, have an obligation to preserve the fine dining experience for the rest of their patrons.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:21:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I recall when I was around 6 or 7, I pulled some crap at a restaurant. My dad took me outside, found a tree, made a switch, and proceeded to change my attitude.

Never had that problem again.

If that were to occur now, the parent would be on youtube and the local news and probably would be arrested before they paid the tab.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:24:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:28:48 AM EDT
[#38]
OP you should liquidate all your assetts and open said Resteraunt. Couple that with a public prayer discount and a minimum wage fee and you will be rich and famous. if it was a viable option to make money in the biz someone would have started it long before the basement dwelling crowd come up with the idea.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:30:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OP you should liquidate all your assetts and open said Resteraunt. Couple that with a public prayer discount and a minimum wage fee and you will be rich and famous. if it was a viable option to make money in the biz someone would have started it long before the basement dwelling crowd come up with the idea.
View Quote

In.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was never obnoxious as a child either. It's all about how your parents raise you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:32:39 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't take my 2yr old anywhere there isn't a kids menu or unlikely to be the only kid there.  He is generally very well behaved too, but kids being kids will occasionally have a random shriek or meltdown.  We do directly address/remove/apologize to adjacents if it is a problem.

Nice places for couples / friends = babysitter,
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:35:55 AM EDT
[#42]
I usually give my kids loads of sugar, and encourage them to act like spoiled brats at nice restaurants just to piss others off.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
this is a story from reddit.  this is not me.

"So a while ago I had decided to treat myself and go to Burger King. I hadn't had the greatest of days and I had a headache coming on. It was a very long line and I was at the end of it waiting patiently. When behind me comes this woman yapping on her cellphone with a little monster of a child. This kid was out of control, screaming, punching his mother throwing around a gameboy whenever something didn't go right in the game. The mother didn't seem to pay any attention to him and his continued yelling of 'I want a Fucking PIE'. After about 5 minutes of the line with these people behind me, I had gone from a headache to a full on migraine, but nothing was going to stop me from getting those burgers. I calmly turn and ask her nicely if she can please calm or quiet her child down. Immediately she gets up in my face telling me I can't tell her nothing about raising her child and to mind my own business. I nod and turn around, shes still yelling at the back of my head when the child cries out again how he wants a pie, the mother consoles him, calling him sweety and ensuring they'll get pies for lunch because she loves him so much. Things immediately go back to the they were and I wait another 5 minutes before getting to the front of the line. It turns out it was so slow because they had 1 trainee on cash during the lunch hour rush. All I can think of is how the people behind me ruined my splurge and gave me this headache. I then decide to ruin their day. I order every pie they have left in addition to my burgers. Turned out to be 23 pies in total, I take my order and walk towards the exit. Moments later I hear the woman yelling, what do you mean you don't have any pies left, who bought them all? I turn around and see the cashier pointing me out with the woman shooting me a death glare. I stand there and pull out a pie and slowly start eating eat as I stare back at her. She starts running towards me but can't get to me because of other lineups in the food court. I turn and slowly walk away."
View Quote

No flame to you, O_P, but since I can't find my "Cool Starry Bra" meme, I'll just have to say bullshit on the reddit author
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:37:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Children are raised by the village, not the parents.

We need more loud children in restaurants in order to allow the villages to help raise that child.

View Quote

You sound like this
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

In.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In.

Do you have a reservation?

And I assume you have no kids in your party of course?

We can seat you over here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Am I in before the basement dwellers throw out "Crotchfruit, Fuck your kids, I'll say WTF I want to around them, etc....."?

Anyway, my two boys are well behaved, and there are places where I won't take them. They have eaten at upscale restaurants before, but it has been few and far between.
View Quote

Seconded but I only have one son. We take our's to family restaurants, upscale or 'fancy' places are reserved for date nights and that's with an exceptionally well-behaved kid. My wife and I have only had to take our kid out to the car to settle down plus a little paddle. Sure good parenting is lacking but if you don't want see/hear kids when you go to Chili's, Outback, etc.....stay home.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Simple solution, some of you may think I'm an asshole for doing it. Very important dinner one night. A couple came in with 3 kids. From the get-go they were already in orbit screaming about wanting to go to McDonald's. Anyway this proceeded for an hour before I had enough. I picked up the two water glasses from our table and walked to the back as if to go to the waiter station. As I approached their table I conveniently tripped flinging both glasses all over mom. I "apologize" profusely then walk away and they leave...

No, not really a true story. But man I sure have imagined doing it many times.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:44:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Simple solution, some of you may think I'm an asshole for doing it. Very important dinner one night. A couple came in with 3 kids. From the get-go they were already in orbit screaming about wanting to go to McDonald's. Anyway this proceeded for an hour before I had enough. I picked up the two water glasses from our table and walked to the back as if to go to the waiter station. As I approached their table I conveniently tripped flinging both glasses all over mom. I "apologize" profusely then walk away and they leave...

No, not really a true story. But man I sure have imagined doing it many times.
View Quote

Like your story your screenname is almost true.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:44:46 AM EDT
[#49]
When my daughter was very little, we refrained from going out to eat much, because a 0-2 year old doesn't understand you can't scream in a restaurant. She's five now, and understands how to behave in public. Hell, we were at the Sagamore for dinner last month (to say it's upscale is an understatement), and she was fine. A lot of how kids behave has to do with how behavior is modeled. If the parents demonstrate how to act, the children pick up on it. If the parents let their kids act like feral animals, or worse yet act that way themselves...... Well, you get the idea.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

You want to kick little children because they  MAY turn into an annoying ones?  Here is a hint, not every child that comes in is going to be an annoying spoiled twat.

You should post your business name (probably not your business, but whatever).

You should blame the parents, not the children.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top