Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love scorpion slayers.
View Quote

My 3 slayed a copperhead in the barn. My kids won't get bit by one of those. They take care of mice and even dig up moles but won't eat them for some reason.  They're rotten too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Something you will begin to notice over the coming weeks and months. You won't find many living things in your house anymore.

My 3, a Maine Coon and two Russians, are efficient bug/moth/spider/mouse eating machines. There is a zone of death around my house where nothing smaller than an adult rabbit or two exists...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Please keep it inside.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome OP!  I've had cat all my life and always will.  I've owned many great personalities.

I have met a few shit heads but not many and they always belonged to other people.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
My neighbors that I routinely have drinks with on Saturday nights have three.  The biggest is AJ and he's a white and black fluffy mess.  Fetches and comes when he's called like a dog would.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I will always own a cat.

Ever since I was very small, cats have come to me and been affectionate...  people said "oh, no, that cat is mean, get him away from it" while it curled up in my lap and purred.

The feeling goes both ways, I adore 99% of cats and enjoy their company far more than most dogs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#7]

This is Chester.  He's kind of wierd!  his resting place while i take care of business

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I love (some) cats, just wish my wife and I weren't so damn allergic to them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Pic of my two...the white one was adopted as a scrawny baby in 2001 from the local animal shelter.  She is as devoted as any dog to her human (me) but is very shy around strangers.  She greets me at the door, comes when called, plays fetch, understands some words, and sleeps with me most nights.
The gray one was dumped off at my in-laws farm a few years ago...they got him fixed, and he lived at their place for a year or so as a barn cat.  My husband always liked him since he's a very outgoing and friendly cat...he seems to think ALL people are his friends.  About three and a half years ago husband was over there doing chores while his folks were out of town and noticed the poor cat had open sores from lots of flea bites.  He brought the cat home, and I gave him a bath and some flea medication, we got him up to date on his vaccinations, and he's been with us ever since.  This one comes when called if he feels like it, but is actually getting pretty good about being leash trained.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#10]
We've got a 9# rescue cat and a 110# Anatolian shepherd. Both are buddies, the Anatolian is the absolute best temperament, well behaved & disciplined dog I have ever had the pleasure to know. But if I had to make a choice, I'd take the cat hands down, no question. Our cat has ten times the personality & loyalty and smarts that the dog does. It costs way more to feed the cat than the dog too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Please note if you haven't already, the cat chose you. They'll do that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like you made yourself a friend for life OP! Good for you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I had no idea cats were as smart, loyal and very affectionate animals.

View Quote

Cat owners live in a permanent state of confusion over whether the cat is their pet, or they are their cat's pet

We found our Nebelung in a shelter about 14 years ago. He was at least 2 when we got him, his owner had passed and they couldn't be sure exactly how long she had him.

He's trained our lab better than I have. Admittedly, unlike the cat, I didn't smack her across the nose to make her lie down and be quiet. Now he just needs to give her his special look and she goes to her bed

He'll leave us one day, and the hole he will leave in our lives will be massive.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Rescue and strays are the best.

Rosie (stray) on the left 12 yrs old. Lucky (rescue) on the right 14 yrs old.

View Quote

Rosie looks very much like a Nebelung!

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#15]
we just recently picked up a stray kitten...

i love the cat and everything, it's hilirious.

i just can't stand the smell of the litter box.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is Ziggie, our current house guest.  He has successfully changed our basset from an inside dog to an outside dog.  He thinks Sasha's tail is the greatest play toy in the world.  Sasha hasn't gotten around to biting him, yet.  She just goes outside.  Ziggie hasn't figured out how to use the doggie door yet.  https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10494439_4467608464075_5535474048047403144_o.jpg
View Quote

Your cat looks identical to our old cat Milo. I miss him. He used to bite my hair when I slept, pretty funny at the time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Since this had turned into a pre-Caterday thread - I submit the following:

This little girl,

Will only respond, when called to my whistling Semper Paratus.

I have tried The Marine Corps Hymn.  She will at least look up at me.

I have tried The Caissons Go Rolling Along - she goes the other way.

I have tried Into the Wild Blue Yonder - she ignore it.

I tried Anchors Away - and the little girl downright looked hostile!!

Seriously, she only response to Semper Paratus.  She MUST be a "Puddle Pirate"!

One of these days I will get a video of it.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Rescues are the best.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Welcome to the dark side, we have hairballs

The kittahs are teh awesome
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh you poor naive bastard.  You got one of the brown and gray stripy ones.  You have no idea the amount of mischief you've just brought down on yourself.

I got one of those a few years ago.  My advice:  Always check to make sure your dryer is free of kittehs before you close the door.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Never was a cat lover until sammich maker and her band of bastards came along. Now I'm a cat lover.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Cats are awesome.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Our newest foster kitten. Leo

This sweet foster lady found a new home,

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm still allergic.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I wouldn't go get a kat, but if one found its way yo my door I would keep it. Provided it was friendly and got along with my dogs
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I told my wife "No more babies" as sternly as I could (get away with). Then my son heard pitiful meows behind our burn barrel February before last. He's an animal person, so he caught the two kittens meowing, that night before a hard freeze. We had to nurse them past the kitten stage, but now, Squeaker and Pork Chop are the best killers for acres and acres... You can tell by the fucked up names that I get (demand my right) to name our animals.... But the names always fit!! BTW, they are both Siamese mixes. Squeaker is semi slant eyed, but Porky is full blown Siamese.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#27]
My cat is a rescue cat and is loyal to a fault. I would not have her any other way.

In fact, I have to keep her out of my room at night or she'll sleep on my chest and at times knead my neck in the middle of the night
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://imageshack.com/a/img901/1725/hV4oeC.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img912/9672/kd3dNk.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/5351/SzBylb.jpg

This is by and far the most lovable cat I've had. Real sweetheart.  She also suffers from separation anxiety, not all that dissimilar from our dog.
View Quote

Awwww. That looked just like mine as a kitten. Down to the SA. I would travel for a few weeks. She would not leave my side the whole weekend I was home.

Now she'll faithfully sit beside me, purr, force herself into my lap to be pet... it's rather comical.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I love my cat. I especially love her when she jumps from the window sill directly onto my face when I'm sleeping.

At least once a week the little fucker does that to me. But if I lock her out of my room at night she'll bawl all night so I give in to her.

View Quote

Wait until she tears a 2 foot section of carpet from under the door trying to dig in.

Luckily at my new place she hasn't done that. Maybe because the backdoor is nearby and she can stare at the night and play and still feel somewhat "near" me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Good on you OP, nicely done!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:41:48 PM EDT
[#31]
OP awesome story. We have a colony here at the house and they are always up to something. It seems that someone is always on duty to meet us at the door. The big grey and black one has one eye and it has not slowed him down any. The one looking up appeared when I went out of town for ten days. The Michigan Surprise.

For multiple cats I have used a litter robot for over ten years now. The ball rolls seven min after they use it. It shifts and dumps into a drawer below. Just change the bag and you are good to go. Leave it unplugged and run it a few times a day to get them use to it. Works like a charm for 6 cats.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You weren't on my ignore list so you weren't a vocal cat hater here.  Unlike the many people who are on my ignore list.  They would have taken pleasure in killing that cat because obviously it was feral since it had no collar and was on your property.

I'm glad you have a new little buddy.  If you need ideas for toys the platic ring on a milk jug works, women's hair ties, and rabbit fur covered fake mice.  Each cat is different and will or won't play with certain toys.  You can also see if you can teach him to fetch.  
View Quote

Those rings and bottle caps are the best cat toys.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Fletcher says hi to Wiggles.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've got a cat. Skeeter. This is a very friendly cat to humans, but it hates and will attack other animals. I love this cat. If you are an animal though, watch the fuck out. Razor claws, a good fighter, low to the ground, but wide and fast. If she weighed 50 pounds, she could hunt normal sized humans or deer and be a deadly threat. I truly believe this. Cats are awesome, but they have a lot of pig-stickers built right in.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Sometimes cats can be a crap shoot, but damn when you get a good one they are a great companion.

My 18lb buddy.  Has good taste in firearms too.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Welcome to the dark side, we have hairballs

The kittahs are teh awesome
View Quote

Smear some oleomargarine on kitteh's paws. They'll lick it off and it'll loosen the hairballs, keeping them healthy and as an added bonus, they won't barf up the hairballs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:02:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rescue and strays are the best.

Rosie (stray) on the left 12 yrs old. Lucky (rescue) on the right 14 yrs old.

<a href="http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff380/usjet1/P8093332.jpg" target="_blank">http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff380/usjet1/P8093332.jpg</a>

Wow. Looked it up- some of the pics I'd swear I was looking at her.
She was found at about 4 weeks running in Saturday night traffic in Bernalillo, NM.
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#38]
mom has 2 cats. One is a loaner and always hangs out away from everyone will occasionally come down for play and snuggles but usually just sits and watches. The other is an asshole that will allow you to pet her until she's had enough and swipes at you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#39]
yes she had been bringing me dead animals. She even dug up 2 moles and brought those nasty bastards to me.

She is my little hunter killer

Spoiled rotten

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Good man for helping a poor cat in need.  Log out and log back in.
View Quote

Much appreciated sir

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Get her fixed and declawed. I don't know why people think cats suck. They are pretty much small tigers, and it's easy to see this instinctive behavior in them, which is pretty bad-ass. I could go into other advantages of them vs dogs, but you probably got that figured out. get her some toys with feathers. Also if you get a bird feeder she can watch from a window they like that like people like TV. If you want her to exercise attack instincts, a laser pointer works well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#42]
The OP's story is pretty much the same way I came to live with Worthless.

She is has yet to show the slightest gratitude.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
 OP is good people.
View Quote

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OP is good people.

Thanks, its funny that my cat knew what place to come to. I live in a 2 story apartment and there are probably over a hundred units but she chose this one. The one that buys her the coolest toys, makes her warm milk when she wants. I already have a little chihuahua that gets treated like a princess. Maybe my little dog gave her the heads up about the good treatment of spoiled rotten animals in this household.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Cats are good to go. If you show them affection, they will hunt rodents and insects down for you and then jump on your sofa to sleep on your leg
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#46]
MMM...

Fresh catnip!

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#47]
My good friends Crazy Cat and Sadie approve of this thread. Both found us at different times over the last year.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#48]

My barn cat looks a lot like that one.  He likes teh 'nip.  I should give him some now.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Welcome,  When the wife and I got married about 28 years ago a cat came with the deal.  Several cats have come and gone over the years, right now there are 3 yellow cats outside with one being 16 yrs old.
There are also 3 dogs outside keeping them company.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top