Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/21/2014 8:02:07 PM EDT
couple months ago I heard the young cat crying at my door for a couple days. I'm thinking its lost or been abandoned by its previous owner and I actually called animal control on the thing. Well they never caught the cat so a few days later I have my front door open to where it just a full glass storm that was closed because I enjoy watching the rain.
Well this cat was just sitting in front of the door in the rain looking in and crying while soaking wet and getting rained on. I cant stand to see any animal suffer. I grabbed a warm towel fresh out of the dryer and picked her up out of the rain, wrapped her in the towel and held her in that warm towel until she dried off and fell asleep in my arms. Needless to say I was seduced by how sweet and affectionate this animal was. I had always thought they were mean little selfish creatures and were void of affection like a dog. Oh how I was wrong.
Fast forward a few months and she is laying beside me snuggling and purring. I had no idea cats were as smart, loyal and very affectionate animals.
I just wanted to share this experience to guys who are doe hard cat haters that I was  that way but have been changed to see how wrong I was about  them. Her breed as far as I can tell is an American short tail, great with children and very clean. She even comes to me when I call her.
Wiggles

Hugging my leg

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Good job Sir!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Mindy says welcome to the club!

Rescued her from my parents barn. she sleeps in our bed, watches tv with us. and we have no bugg problems

you have made a life long friend, they don't act like dogs but dammed if they aren't just as smart if not smarter sometimes. Trust is a bigger issue with them. but you earned hers and now you see the reward

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Awww, that's cute OP! Good for you!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Good job OP, cute kitteh.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#5]
 OP is good people.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Get her fixed and she'll be a great cat for many, many years.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#7]

yea,  i've got one thats been with me about 10 years.
 he started out as a stray but hes got it made now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to be a K-9 Handler

I was always a dog guy until my X brought "Sim-Boy" home

this was a 18lb alley cat that hunted and killed raccoons and let 2 year old's walk it with a leash and dress it up

I paid $3k for a titanium rod in it's femer when it got run over

fucker lived for 8 years after that  
and would stack up rabbits ( no shit 8 in one day stacked on the steps)

but would follow the kids and watch over them like a dog

I have no doubts had anyone ever broken in this cat would have made me proud

my working dog gave this cat a wide berth not out of respect for me  but he wasn't sure he would win without permanent injuries  

That cat didn't even use a litter box it went miles away to shit
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm still allergic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Have had cats all my life, never really understood the hate for them or the expectation that as a guy you should not like them. They are great animals - both cats and dogs have unique great qualities.

We have three "woods cats" who are outdoors most of the summer, but come in during the winter. Two are sisters that were found behind a dumpster at the elementary school my wife worked at. We raised them from kittens, but one never quite stopped being feral and has some weird behavioral issues. The third one just showed up at our last rental house in the coldest winter we had in years, and I recognized him as a stray I had fed at my parents' house (we rented a nearby house from them) years before.

He had nowhere to go, so I built a shelter for him, and I was surprised to find him coming back to sleep in it every night for most of that week that it was below zero temps. He was super friendly and wanted to come inside bad, so we gradually introduced him to the other two.

Now they all coexist happily on a 2 acre wooded plot, and the boy hunts and kills animals that I never even knew we had. I've found him eating a lizard head first (it's Seattle) and routinely kills and eats multiple bunnies in one session. He's a monster, but damn is he friendly.

He even goes on walks with us down the dirt road. When we lived in town, he did the same - he would walk with us on the sidewalks through the neighborhood like a dog, checking the smells along the way, and keeping up if we got too far ahead.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Your a good person, now you have a friend for life.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm still allergic.
View Quote
me and my wife are. but if you get a cat, eventually you stop being allergic to your cat. yes i know how that sounds but 3 months after we got her, we stopped sneezing from her

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Fur everywhere, wait till she uses the couch for a scratching post, or gets knocked up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Welcome to the fold.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
me and my wife are. but if you get a cat, eventually you stop being allergic to your cat. yes i know how that sounds but 3 months after we got her, we stopped sneezing from her  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still allergic.

Well, I don't like em anyways. I'm a lab person.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Never was a cat person, until I picked one up to keep the wife company while I was working on the road.

Ended up with 3 at once.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't understand the hate either. People always say cats have no personality and don't show affection and I'm like

Honestly have these people never interacted with a cat?

Welcome to the dark side OP!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Cats can be great, I love mine. Has just as much personality as the dog
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still allergic.

I'm allergic, and I have 3 of them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I love scorpion slayers.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#21]
My Maine Coon thinks he is a dog...even drinks out of the toilet...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Never was a cat lover until sammich maker and her band of bastards came along. Now I'm a cat lover.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Good job OP.  

I was in the same boat. Couldn't stand cats. All it takes is one with an awesome personality and you're done for.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#24]

This is by and far the most lovable cat I've had. Real sweetheart.  She also suffers from separation anxiety, not all that dissimilar from our dog.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#25]

I love my cat. I especially love her when she jumps from the window sill directly onto my face when I'm sleeping.

At least once a week the little fucker does that to me. But if I lock her out of my room at night she'll bawl all night so I give in to her.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#26]
So, I see you've contracted Toxoplasmosis.

Good on you for rescuing her.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Lost my cat almost a year ago to cancer. He was an amazing animal, stayed by my side when I was sick and wasting away.  He was more dog like than cat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Cats seem to know where to go.  Your cat found you.  Kudos to you!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't understand the hate either. People always say cats have no personality and don't show affection and I'm like

Honestly have these people never interacted with a cat?

Welcome to the dark side OP!
View Quote

Agreed!  Cats are awesome.  Cats are the "adults" and dogs are the 3-year-olds. Any dog will wag its tail and lick you after a few scratches behind the ears.  With a cat, you have to earn their respect and companionship.  I need to get another cat...but I don't think our bitch of a dog will like it too well...
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome buddy. I was the same way till I meant my lady. Here is her monster!!

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My Maine Coon thinks he is a dog...even drinks out of the toilet...
View Quote

Maine Coon's are special cats!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Now you need a little buddy for your little buddy.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Good job Sir!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Cats can be very affectionate, they just aren't blindly so like dogs.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm a dog person, but sometimes I find myself missing the simplicity of owning a cat
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I love my cat. I especially love her when she jumps from the window sill directly onto my face when I'm sleeping.

At least once a week the little fucker does that to me. But if I lock her out of my room at night she'll bawl all night so I give in to her.

View Quote

She just wants to be with you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ahhh....you softy! Move your bed and she will give it to you gently!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#39]
I always get pissed off and declare "never again" but somehow another one shows up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I love scorpion slayers.
View Quote

A good cat will kill plenty of creepy crawlers, but I really wish mine would leave the spiders alone.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#41]
We have one that we've had about ten years that I like. Dipshits from town like to drop their cat overflow off out in the country. They get the 12gauge ticket to Kitty Heaven. Come to find out that nine lives stuff is just a myth.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:57:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Good man, OP.  But just so you know, she comes when you call because she thinks you're going to feed her  

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#43]
This is Ziggie, our current house guest.  He has successfully changed our basset from an inside dog to an outside dog.  He thinks Sasha's tail is the greatest play toy in the world.  Sasha hasn't gotten around to biting him, yet.  She just goes outside.  Ziggie hasn't figured out how to use the doggie door yet.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Yep, 2 are so much better than one!

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Good man for helping a poor cat in need.  Log out and log back in.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#46]
We need more people like you, OP. Good job!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Guys will do anything for a little pussy
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good man for helping a poor cat in need.  Log out and log back in.
View Quote

Smells like a membership!

Edt: Pic of cat should be the avatar.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Welcome to the club.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Besides having a large GSD in the house, my wife and I have...gulp.....10 cats. Nine of them were ours, but recently we took in my mother's cat due to health issues with my mother.

Cali oversees my reloading.

As does Razzi

Even Lil Bits gets in on the supervision.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top