Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I fucking hate all these bandwagoners.  But here is an idear for your addled mind:  Rent a bobcat, fill that bucket with water, dump.
View Quote

I used a 55 gallon drum and a forklift.  Gay or not, my wife and kids got a kick outta it.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No, awareness doesn't do shit.  

You're right, the money is there...but you know damn well what I'm getting at.  It's this damn "awareness" and self-centered look-what-I-did challenge BS that the majority of people are outwardly displaying with absolutely no intentions of actually doing anything productive.

The MAJORITY of people playing into this fad (yes, it's exactly that, a fad) have no intentions of helping out financially or otherwise.  And if they want to try to play the saint role by saying they're fucking "aware", fuck them.  It's disgusting, really.

Maybe I don't get out enough, but of the four people I've heard discuss this trend openly in real life, none of them have said anything about ALS or any other cause.  All it was, was discussing how cold the water was...or so and so challenged so and so, or how they want to post a nifty video, or how they tagged so and so.  

For your average social media fiend (including those of us on THIS site), it's a fucking laughable joke...with no good intentions or true purpose.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's bullshit?  So far this year, they've raised twice what they raised in all of 2013.  Only difference is this social media thing.  Not everyone contributes money, but the ones who have probably wouldn't have without the mainstream attention whoring.

How much have you donated, since you're such a proponent?

Awareness doesn't do a damn thing.  I'm aware that a retired co worker has had Lou Gherig's for over a year now, but that hasn't helped his plight in the least.

All this is, is a show of selfishness on the part of those who want to jump in on the fad with an "OMGZ look what I did!!.!.!! Lolz" attitude.  No clue as to why they're really doing it besides it looks cool on their Facebook feed.

Want some examples?  Search all the ice bucket challenge threads, and show me where people have stated they're willing to do anything actually productive...like donating money to the correct research stream, or volunteer their personal time.  

As stated above, I've contributed $0 to ALS.  I've also not dumped or been dumped on.

Awareness doesn't do a damn thing?  Seriously?  $41.8 million in donations from July 29 until Aug. 21 this year, compared with $2.1 million in the same period last year and $19.4 in all of 2013.

From the ALS Association, "These donations have come from existing donors and 739,275 new donors to The Association."

Other ALS charities have also seen substantial increases in donations versus previous years.

"Awareness" did that.  739,275 "new donors" and I'm sure just as many (or more ) have just attention whored without donating.  The latter group doesn't undo the productivity of the former.

ETA: If you want to waste time being annoyed that people spend time (and money) on stupid shit, here, knock your self out with the $200Million a fucking Kim Kardashian smartphone game is going to earn this year.

You're right, the money is there...but you know damn well what I'm getting at.  It's this damn "awareness" and self-centered look-what-I-did challenge BS that the majority of people are outwardly displaying with absolutely no intentions of actually doing anything productive.

The MAJORITY of people playing into this fad (yes, it's exactly that, a fad) have no intentions of helping out financially or otherwise.  And if they want to try to play the saint role by saying they're fucking "aware", fuck them.  It's disgusting, really.

Maybe I don't get out enough, but of the four people I've heard discuss this trend openly in real life, none of them have said anything about ALS or any other cause.  All it was, was discussing how cold the water was...or so and so challenged so and so, or how they want to post a nifty video, or how they tagged so and so.  

For your average social media fiend (including those of us on THIS site), it's a fucking laughable joke...with no good intentions or true purpose.  

Attention=awareness=donations

It's really that simple.
If you can't afford to or just don't want to, great. But you're talking about it. EVERYONE is talking about it.
If you don't see how that's a good thing, that raises MORE money, then I can't help you.

-------

And as to the national ALS assoc. bilking anyone out of money.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3296#.U_bRR3-9KSM
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
People in years passed have donated to ALS. Quietly. Like arfcom prefers. ~$20million annually.
People this year MONTH have raised that much.

Regardless of how you feel, or whether you like it or not, it worked.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I talked about how stupid the Harlem shake videos were in the past, too.  

Did my awareness help their cause at all?  

What about all the twerkers?  Did I assist them in any way by saying how stupid it was?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I really don't.

Yes, it's a fad.  A hugely successful fad.  Successful in raising money, by raising awareness, which has raised more money.

My expectation is that July 29 - August 21 of 2015 will be right back at 2013 donation levels.  So what?  The money was raised, and it will be spent on "productive stuff".

Why are you intent on discounting the 739,275 new donors because of, theoretically, 7,392,750 who make a dumb video without donating money or time?  Who cares?  Consider them "advertising" and if nothing else, their sheer numbers are what push some wealthy celebrity to write a fat check.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What about all the twerkers?  Did I assist them in any way by saying how stupid it was?
View Quote

Totally the same thing. You win. I give up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I really don't.

Yes, it's a fad.  A hugely successful fad.  Successful in raising money, by raising awareness, which has raised more money.

My expectation is that July 29 - August 21 of 2015 will be right back at 2013 donation levels.  So what?  The money was raised, and it will be spent on "productive stuff".

Why are you intent on discounting the 739,275 new donors because of, theoretically, 7,392,750 who make a dumb video without donating money or time?  Who cares?  Consider them "advertising" and if nothing else, their sheer numbers are what push some wealthy celebrity to write a fat check.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really don't.

Really?  Where have I discounted the new donors?   Good for the foundation, YAAAAY!

I've repeatedly stated it's the ne'er do wells that play into this for their little bit of perceived fame on the Internet, and will sit back and not do anything productive for the cause after the fact..  If you want to claim I'm against the millions of dollars as opposed to the millions of poseurs who are just playing into this whole fad, so be it, I'm not going to be able to word it any more clearly as to what I'm referring to.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't sweat it man.  Next week he'll have something else that doesn't affect him at all to be butt hurt about.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I fucking hate all these bandwagoners.  But here is an idear for your addled mind:  Rent a bobcat, fill that bucket with water, dump.
View Quote

Bobcat? That's tiny.

I dumped a full size front end loader bucket full of water on my parents head last weekend.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't sweat it man.  Next week he'll have something else that doesn't affect him at all to be butt hurt about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just don't challenge me, because I won't do it or do anything productive for the cause...being that I'm such a curmudgeon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Find someone who has a front-end loader.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Only 27% of that goes to research...

Jane H. Gilbert – President and CEO – $339,475.00
Daniel M. Reznikov – Chief Financial Officer – $201,260.00
Steve Gibson – Chief Public Policy Officer – $182,862.00
Kimberly Maginnis - Chief of Care Services Officer – $160,646.00
Lance Slaughter - Chief Chapter Relations and Development Officer – $152,692.00
Michelle Keegan – Chief Development Officer – $178,744.00
John Applegate – Association Finance Officer – $118.726.00
David Moses – Director of Planned Giving – $112,509.00
Carrie Munk – Chief Communications and Marketing Officer – $142,875.00
Patrick Wildman – Director of Public Policy – $112,358.00
Kathi Kromer – Director of State Advocacy – $110,661.00

ALS is bilking people of their money. Congrats on lining the pockets of another "wounded warrior" fake foundation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Might as well plan a Harlem shake video as well.

Don't forget a twerking video, too.

I can hardly wait for the next stupid fucking fadbook trend to show up.

Yes, the ice bucket thing feels a little long in the tooth, but did either of those other fads raise over $41 Million towards researching a cure for a horrible disease?

ALS is bilking people of their money. Congrats on lining the pockets of another "wounded warrior" fake foundation.

No shit, fuck them and the idiotic fad.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know I'm an asshole, but the epic thing to do would be to post a pic of the check to the charity instead of posting a video of dumping ice water over your head like 1000s of other people are doing.
View Quote

That's what my buddy did. Screen cap of his donation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:30:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just send in the money and spare everyone.
View Quote

But bro, you'll never know if your friends know that you care.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My friends know that I care. I #Kony'd.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Not to mention the leadership he posted make about $2 mil. combined.
View Quote

Reading a form 990 and correlating salaries with success is idiotic.  People who thinks charities shouldn't be successful and pay their people market salaries are idiots.  These idiots take the phrase "not for profit" literally.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#18]
You could have a firetruck fill the bucket on it's cherry picker, have them back into a powerline resulting in the crane losing power and collapsing on top of you!  Once everyone in the tristate area regains power they can blog how epic it was...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#19]
You should change the game and use boiling water.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tazer to the chest, then bucket of ice water dumped on you while laying on the ground twitching.
View Quote

fucking YES.  Tazer then OC to the eyes then the ice water to cool your face off!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#21]
People don't want to be faceless donors of cash.  They want to be part of the solution.  They want to be recognized for their contribution.  That's why this charity drive works soooo damned well, and will be copied in some way as soon as this one dies down, forever and ever, as long as social media exists.

Make a bucket out of ice (coat buckets with PAM, small bucket in bigger bucket, add water, throw in freezer).  Find some way to bust or rapidly melt the water-filled ice bucket over your head.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
People in years passed have donated to ALS. Quietly. Like arfcom prefers. ~$20million annually.
People this year MONTH have raised that much.

Regardless of how you feel, or whether you like it or not, it worked.
View Quote

It has certainly raised awareness.  Raising 20 million is only great if we know how it's gonna be used.  If this done in Red Cross fashion then we are suckers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:12:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Joseph Kony, I challenge YOU to the ALS ice bucket challenge.  You have 48 hours to comply.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Just don't do it in California.  They'll fine you for wasting water.

California Fining ‘Ice Bucket Challenge’ Participants for Wasting Water

It's been relatively easy to track them down too, since the participants have been posting about it online.  One sorority (since the video clearly showed the front of their chapter house) racked up $25,000 in fines ($500 a person) for dumping an estimated 250  gallons of water in the "challenge".
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Just don't do it in Los Angeles.  They'll fine you for wasting water.

California Fining ‘Ice Bucket Challenge’ Participants for Wasting Water
View Quote
They live next to 187 quintillion gallons of water.    

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#26]
This thing is about 14:30 into its 15 minutes of fame.  By Thanksgiving, nobody will remember it.  It's the Macarena of charitable marketing gimmicks.  

Awareness may equal donations to Charity X, but those donations come at the expense of Charity Y.  It's net neutral.  People don't have an unlimited supply of money to give to charitable causes.  They have a bucket (no pun intended) for charitable contributions.  If they give $100 to ALS, that's $100 they won't be giving to Susan G. Komen or Livestrong (speaking of fads -- still have your yellow bracelet?).  

If people were rational, they'd want to know what they're getting for their money prior to giving.  What percentage goes to research?  How much to overhead?  What breakthroughs were made with last year's budget?  How close are we to a cure?  Why this disease and not all the other ones?  Is this disease the most deadly?  Does it affect the most people?  

The charities don't want people asking these questions.  Just fall for the gimmick, whether it's an ice bucket or a pink ribbon, and pay up.  

Expect a lot more of these "social media" gimmicks as other charities try to get in on the action.  But ask yourself, Is this really the best way to allocate funds for medical research?  By who has the best marketing department?  Or the most sympathetic victims?

Check out the movie Pink Ribbons, Inc. on Netflix.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Im going to the frigid waters at the base of the Chilhowee Damn in next to the US Hwy 129 Dragon.

I will then jump in and do a back stroke or two.

Should do the trick.

FYI water in the middle of summer is a max of 60 degrees.

Imagine cold river mountain water for a dunk.

And yes I will still donate, not just for ALS but for Cancer research too.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, doing things for a good cause is for faggots.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/20/anthony-carbajal-ice-bucket-challenge-als_n_5696085.html?ncid=edlinkushpmg00000030
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Hang a 5 gal. bucket of icewater from a tree limb about 15' in the air.   Stand under bucket.  Shoot bottom of bucket with 12.ga birdshot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Hang a 5 gal. bucket of icewater from a tree limb about 15' in the air.   Stand under bucket.  Shoot bottom of bucket with 12.ga birdshot.
View Quote
Or a couple of slugs. Thats a pretty good idea.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but do you really want to explain to people how firing 12ga. slugs into the air wasn't a bad idea?
Birdshot is designed to be fired up into the air, slugs not so much.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Get a clean Porta-Potti.  Fill the holding tank with ice and water.

Hire a crane.  You know the rest.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Yeah, but do you really want to explain to people how firing 12ga. slugs into the air wasn't a bad idea?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point. I wasnt thinking that far ahead.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Do a 180 and use boiling water instead of ice water.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#37]
After sleeping on this I've decided two things:

1: I am offended that it took this long for me to be "challenged". I must work out the logistics of becoming famous or infamous.

2: This is just an elaborate plot by the evil Industrial Water Complex to increase scarcity and get social media addicted to it's product.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Decline the challenge on video, it will be epic.
View Quote

Do it at the range, decline the challenge with copious amounts of profanity, do a mag dump into a picture of Steven Hawking, spit on the ground.
Then post it to facebook.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#39]
how is this even a challenge?
what exactly is challenging about doing this?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have a safe place to do this, you should. That's a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Just dump a bucket of 100 $1 bills over your head and a poster that says your calling out the city of furgeson
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, the ice bucket thing feels a little long in the tooth, but did either of those other fads raise over $41 Million towards researching a cure for a horrible disease?

Da FUQ you talking about?  

72% goes to the charity.  They have a 28% operating expense...with Admin expenses (salaries) of $2,195,025.  Do you even Charity Navigator bro?

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3296#.U_eBdaM1CI4
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it's annoying to see over and over....but it's for a good cause.  Check the math....outofstep is out of line......
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

hahahaha
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Bump for epic rants. Details in OP.

I would write my own (and still may) but I have a lot of shit to get done this evening.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wife got called out. She's going to do the generic bucket of ice water.

She's told me she's going to call me out. I essentially have 48 hours to do something awesome.

A bucket of water on my head is lame.

I'm thinking some sort of Rube Goldburg type set up that starts with me hitting a golf ball, throwing a football at a target, shooting a target... something fun.

I don't have tons of money to throw at this, nor do I have Destructive Devices, hookers, blow, imitation crab meat, or penguins.

UPDATE:

I've lined up something that will give Arfcom a collective hard on.

Now I just need an epic rant to deliver towards ALS before I ice the fuck out of an ice bucket.

Profanity is not prohibitted, but friends and family WILL see this on Facebook.

After I scrub it of details to protect my Supreme Master 12 Star General of the Super Secret Awesomeness Club identity, I'll post it here.

So. Have a few scotches, watch an Obama speech, attempt to masturbate to Hillary Clinton, and then use all that rage to generate your best anti-ALS rant.
View Quote

Why anti-ALS?  I see epic fail in what you are trying to do.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Base it off the old Mouse Trap game. Or use a trebuchet to launch a pumpkin full of ice water.
View Quote

Except instead of the bucket of water falling on OP, OP can dive into a bathtub full of ice water.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Yes it's annoying to see over and over....but it's for a good cause.  Check the math....outofstep is out of line......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Way out of line.  Spreading lies about a charitable organization is not cool.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Decline the challenge on video, it will be epic.
View Quote

Pretty much this.

Tell them Facebook is for attention starved losers who cant help but post their daily lives.   It is like texting for window licking basement dwelling conformist retards that somehow became the "cool kids."

Delete those who challenge you, including your wife.

Or plan b...

Dump bucket of ice on sleeping wife while she is comfortably curled up in bed.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top