Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 5:16:46 PM EDT
Saw a local ad for beer brewing equipment. Very cheap compared to buying new.
I thought that it might be a useful skill to have.

The only thing I can think of is yeast does not store well long term.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It will be a useful skill if you find yourself in prison.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You didn't think we were storing water did you? If SHTF I can be like my ancestors and drink wine and beer all day.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Boiling beer makes water safe to drink even if the source is unfiltered or treated. Dried yeast packets last for years. You can trade beer for a lot of things It's a good survival skill to have,
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote
I would buy beer, damn right ...

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Alcohol of any sort would be a popular trade commodity.

The ability to distill alcohol for sterilization use would be beneficial.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Any skill is valuable, now or then.

ETA; basic mead is stupid easy to make.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#8]
If one understands yeast, cultivating it isn't that hard with basic equipment but as someone above said, dried yeast. STHF aside I prefer liquid yeast as you have much more variety and can dial-in a beer to what style/taste you're trying to achieve.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#9]
ethanol?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#10]
On day one of the zombie outbreak I have plans to raid the local Tobacco and Distillates warehouses

You may call me Lord Humungus Warrior of the HIGHlands
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Making beer and wine is easy, making it palatable is a different story. And while a booze hound will drink anything if they are really in need of a fix....just no...

But at the end of the day it's a lot harder to do then you think it is.  Lots of ingredients and equpiment, time as well. It would be like oh SHTF better get my cooking gear out and cook a 7 course meal of risotto, savory crepes, crem brûlée, and beef bourguignon. It's SHTF and you'll eat rice and beans. It's SHTF and you won't be making beer.

A good stockpile of cheap jug vodka would be Infinitely more useful, easy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Absolutely.

Makes for something you can trade...or use medicinally (a bottle or two of beer beats chamomile tea anytime).
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, back in the day they drank cider instead of water because of sanitation reasons.

And besides it will help with repopulating.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top