Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Realistically, no.  They printed so many in the 80s that is was unsustainable.  Sure, some people just throw theirs away today or otherwise lose them to damage, but enough people are holding on to them that they will never be valuable in your lifetime, in your children's lifetime, or your grandchildren lifetime.  Even centuries from now, they may be a novelty just because of their age but they will have no real value.  

Don't believe me?  Look at Roman coins.  2000 years old.  And you can buy a bag full of them for chump change as a novelty.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Its all about the market that has faith in the product and is willing to put money into it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:28:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Only the rarest will be worth anything.

Most of the collectors who are middle class won't be buying.  Since the '90s, the middle class has been  under attack.  Millions of middle class jobs have gone away and will never return.  They were the driving engine of the consumer economy.

Stuff like Beanie Babies, dolls, stamps (except the most rare), etc. won't be in demand.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:29:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about my baseball card Pogs?

(Anyone remember pogs? )
View Quote

Pogs.  Lol.  I remember those.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a metric shit ton of baseball cards and some football and basketball, from when I was young.

Unless I have kids of my own, I'm giving them to my nephew, in hopes they're worth a shit some day.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:36:20 AM EDT
[#6]
The OLD stuff is worth something and will continue to rise.

The newer stuff, other than maybe some rare error or limited edition exclusive, not so much.

The reason old comics and cards command a good price is the people who had them as kids usually ended up throwing them away. Those that were kept were usually beat up.

Now comics and cards in general aren't thrown away, and a large percentage of them are in good shape, as people took care of them.

Simple supply-demand dynamics.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Geez, I just looked up a bunch of cards I coveted back when I was a kid.  I remember them listing for hundreds in the Beckett magazine...now they're maybe $10.

Edit:  Not gonna lie, I just bought a couple of my favorites for nostalgia's sake.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top