Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/21/2014 1:40:55 PM EDT
I remember as a kid they had freaking conventions and expo sales. Every gas station and grocery store had them. Now. Who cares?

I just found my stash which I have not gone through in forever. Anyplace to take them?? Any point in holding on? Seems like a few choice ones out there fetch being bucks and a select few are worth maybe $5 and the rest who cares.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I remember as a kid they had freaking conventions and expo sales. Every gas station and grocery store had them. Now. Who cares?

I just found my stash which I have not gone through in forever. Anyplace to take them?? Any point in holding on? Seems like a few choice ones out there fetch being bucks and a select few are worth maybe $5 and the rest who cares.
View Quote

I have a bunch of topps sets from the late 80's that my dad bought... Wish he would have put that money into Microsoft stock instead

Last time I checked, they were worth barely more than what he paid for them. Check ebay.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few complete sealed sets from the 80s. I paid $22 for the Topps set. Must be worth a couple hundred, no?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Fuckin-A yes they will...

Right after the beanie baby market rebounds
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Try to sell them at the next gun show.  Carve out a corner on the beanie baby table...make sure it is the table next to the beef jerky guy with the tshirt guy in-between.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember when my older brother gave me a box of baseball and football cards, I found a Joe Montana rookie card in it, it was worth a couple of hundred bucks then.  I have a ton of full sets from the 80's and tons of McGwire and Nolan Ryan cards that used to be worth something I have not thought about them in years.   I hope they do come back up in price I will sell them in a heartbeat but realistically you should invest in pokemon cards you can sell them to neckbeards for a ton of money.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a few complete sealed sets from the 80s. I paid $22 for the Topps set. Must be worth a couple hundred, no?
View Quote
Haha!

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
If:

1)Baseball cards get printed in lower quantities.
2)They are considered essentially valueless for a good long time (let's call it a generation)
3)There is a sudden spike in interest after that period

Basically, you need low supply and high demand.  Not looking like that'll happen soon.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try to sell them at the next gun show.  Carve out a corner on the beanie baby table...make sure it is the table next to the beef jerky guy with the tshirt guy in-between.
View Quote

And don't forget the kettle corn guy, he needs to make a living too..........
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
As much as slobbering as there is over sports stars and celebrities you'd think they'd be worth more than they used to be. I have some really nice ones.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably not. Most older cards became valuable only because so few survived. Once they became "collectible" and an entire industry came along to preserve and protect new cards, it basically permanently altered the supply and demand curve as people stuck them in protective sleeves instead of bicycle spokes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Some cards are worth plenty of money.

There are conventions etc.

I doubt anything like the old collecting days happens again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is usually near the entrance.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If:

1)Baseball cards get printed in lower quantities.

2)They are considered essentially valueless for a good long time (let's call it a generation)

3)There is a sudden spike in interest after that period
Basically, you need low supply and high demand.  Not looking like that'll happen soon.
View Quote
Yeah the card companies wrecked the market years ago buy flooding it with all kinds of sets and special sets.

Back when I was a kid you needed a Topps, Donruss, and a Fleer card of your favorite player to have one of each set for any particular year.  Then Upper Deck and Score came in and everybody had special sets aside from their full sets.  So in any given year you needed 10-20 cards to get every card of a particular player for that year.  IMO that ruined the value.

Not to mention Beckett grading services is a complete scam which has been known to give higher grades to dealers who send in hundreds of cards a year.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#14]
They aren't worth shit anymore since they started grading them.  I have tons, figure I'll just keep em, reminds me of childhood.  Same deal with comics.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking on Ebay at the values of some of the cards I have from the early 80s, knowing what they used to be worth, is depressing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got between 10-15k sitting in a large trunk...can't make any of them budge. People don't even want them for fire tinder
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looking on Ebay at the values of some of the cards I have from the early 80s, knowing what they used to be worth, is depressing.
View Quote

I remember one of my buddies growing up was a huge Jose Canseco fan, his mom got him his rookie card for his bday one year and paid like 200 for it.  This was in the early

90's, I',m pretty sure he couldn't even get a box of 22lr with it now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#18]
A collection found in an attic back in 2012 was valued at obver $500k. There was also something on the news the other day about a woman who ran a boarding house where players use to stay back in the day and she had saved some original cards that were worth serious dollars.

Moral the oldest cards in perfect condition are it and all else is crap.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Probably not. Most older cards became valuable only because so few survived. Once they became "collectible" and an entire industry came along to preserve and protect new cards, it basically permanently altered the supply and demand curve as people stuck them in protective sleeves instead of bicycle spokes.
View Quote

This.

Maybe if enough Moms throw them away the remaining ones will be worth something again. I remember being ecstatic when I got a Michael Jordan Upper Deck card in the early 90's. (He flirted with baseball briefly, IIRC.) I thought I won the lottery. Lol.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:54:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.

You would be lucky to get the $22 for them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Nope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.

If he has a Cal Ripken he'll get his money back.  Rickey Henderson I believe was 1980.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#22]
They are an asset who's market peak has long since passed. I doubt they will ever be worth anything close to their old value again. Like others have said the market has been flooded with them now to the point of ridicule and younger generations have little interest in baseball cards.

Its like those who bought beanie babies or pokemon cards or yugioh cards or digimon cards.....They were worth a fortune for a brief couple of years but when the fad went out of style the value plummeted......permanently.

It's like owning stock in a company that went bankrupt and sold off its assets, it isn't worth anything anymore because there is no market for it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If he has a Cal Ripken he'll get his money back.  Rickey Henderson I believe was 1980.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Have you tried to sell any cards lately?

Pretty much anything pat the 70's doesn't move.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Has to be older and graded

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

hahaha
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#26]
By the time anything is labeled as "collectible" now it's too late.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#27]
So my Ken Griffey Jr rookie card isn't worth anything?

Good, because I haven't seen that thing since it was
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I have thousands of Topps cards from the late '80's.  My parents would buy me a box for my birthday and stash it away until I was about 10 or so.  They are still sitting in the sealed boxes.  Prolly not worth a thing, and I was never into cards
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is true
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#30]
One of my old bosses collected the real old cards.  He had a few complete sets from the 20s and 30s.  He paid a lot for those cards but I would hope they still held their value.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#31]
70's on back especially the 40's, 50's, & 60's are still worth some money but condition is everything.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have thousands of Topps cards from the late '80's.  My parents would buy me a box for my birthday and stash it away until I was about 10 or so.  They are still sitting in the sealed boxes.  Prolly not worth a thing, and I was never into cards
View Quote

Same here, except they became good BB gun targets in the early 90's
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#33]
The connection between fans and players has also been broken. Aside from a few key players on a given team, no one knows or cares who the other players are or even expects them to still be on the team the next year. Fans certainly don't want a set of baseball cards to remind them of the players that left the team for more money or that the team couldn't afford to keep.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

<snort>

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I think that the cards produced in the years before the sports card market became it's own industry, will be valuable some day in the next 20 years again

Sports cards became it's own, over-glossy, over-bloated racket in about 1994-1998.  So my guess is that the      1987-1992 time frame will develop some following.

That entire 90's generation had it's own set of sports heroes too that stand apart and  unique from any other generation except say the 1960's/

But nothing like we say before.

Generally they are worthless shit.

But I'm sitting on mine regardless.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#36]
After reading  this thread, I went over to ebay and looked at the mickey mantle cards.  Mantle cards were always the most valuable (outside of unicorns like Wagner, Ruth, or Cobb cards).  I am surprised at how low the prices of them are now.  I am tempted to buy a few just for nostalgia purposes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have a bunch of topps sets from the late 80's that my dad bought... Wish he would have put that money into Microsoft stock instead

Last time I checked, they were worth barely more than what he paid for them. Check ebay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, you better check those again, you are probably lucky if they are worth even half what he paid for them being late 80s cards.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

70's on back especially the 40's, 50's, & 60's are still worth some money but condition is everything.
View Quote
yah cards of those days are more rare, because who doesnt have a parent or grandparent that always tells the "i used to have a bunch of old baseball cards and comic book until my mom threw them out cleaning' story

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone know what a rookie Mickey Mantle is worth these days?

My dad had one that mysteriously disappeared around the time of his divorce.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:14:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.

1987,88, and 89 Topps are not worth what they cost when new.

Look up a 20 box case on ebay.

Yes...  There are tones of unopended wax boxes still out there.

Early 80's are worth more but not like what you'd think.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#41]
i had thousands of cards.  i only saved the ones that were collectible ones and sold the rest for $20, just to get rid of them.  my dad had a few cards from the 50's, but his mom threw them out because she though they were garbage.  just imagine how much those would be worth.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Anyone know what a rookie Mickey Mantle is worth these days?

My dad had one that mysteriously disappeared around the time of his divorce.
View Quote
1952 Topps? Decent ones sell in the 6K range.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:22:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I remember one of my buddies growing up was a huge Jose Canseco fan, his mom got him his rookie card for his bday one year and paid like 200 for it.  This was in the early

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

86 Donruss was the one he had.....

You can buy a stack of them now for a couple of bucks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I had a pretty nice collection from when I was a kid.  Mostly 80's stuff but a good amount of 50's, 60's and 70's.  Even at todays deflated prices I would say a couple grand worth at least.  Maybe more but my ex pitched em or something when I left.  It's like she threw away my childhood....bitch.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Some stuff from the 80's is still worth money "Michael Jordan's 87 fleer rookie still brings a little over a grand or so.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Card companies went " Full Special " about 1982.....More reasonable to say anything but a very few cards made after 1980 are worth anything.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#47]
What about my baseball card Pogs?

(Anyone remember pogs? )
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

No.  Use them to start camp/stove fires.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

What about my baseball card Pogs?

(Anyone remember pogs? )
View Quote
Fuck I feel old......................Yes.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Why would a kid walk around with a thick stack of cards with limited statistics on them when a similarly sized apparatus in his pocket contains every piece of info on every ball player to ever play the game and much more?

Then the trading aspect, ruined by the fact that you can now trade with anyone on planet Earth, versus as far as you or your parents were willing to drive you(stores/conventions).

There you go, another industry that is no longer relevant due to technology changing. Newspapers, magazines and comics fit here too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top