User Panel

Page / 47
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:49:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's death in the pot.......
View Quote

And Elisha can't add some meal to that pot and make it safe to eat...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So, that's a big fat 'no'. You did not ask these things for yourself. Just observed by association and here you are. Not your thing? Life goes on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With that said, I do not understand how something so obviously made up by Joseph Smith can be so vehemently defended.  To each their own but it is so ludicrous it's absurd.  That is all, flame on.

This, I don't understand it either.  Some guy makes up a religion and gathers a following with some ridiculous ideas/rules, sounds like a cult to me.  

They are super nice for the most part though.

Have you read the Book of Mormon?

Did you privately ask about it's truths?

No farm boy made that up.

Oh please, followers didn't think Jim Jones was crazy either.  Anybody can write a book and make up a religion.  Takes a good salesman or some slick talking/brain washing to gather a following like he did though.  I've lived in Mormon communities, have Mormon relatives and married a Mormon with a 100% Mormon family.  I have a pretty good idea as to the beliefs and background of the "religion".

So, that's a big fat 'no'. You did not ask these things for yourself. Just observed by association and here you are. Not your thing? Life goes on.

I did those things and my personal belief is that Joseph Smith was full of it. YMMV

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints 'do not believe in the traditional Christ.' 'No, I don't. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak'" (LDS Church News, June 20, 1998, p.7).

Sounds like a different Jesus to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: I have dealt with intolerance and bigotry towards my religion my entire life and all you will hear from these people are statements about different Jesus and false gospel.

In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints 'do not believe in the traditional Christ.' 'No, I don't. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak'" (LDS Church News, June 20, 1998, p.7).

Sounds like a different Jesus to me.

Care to quote the entirety of it?

"In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints "do not believe in the traditional Christ. No, I don't. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the Dispensation of the Fulness of Times. He, together with His Father, appeared to the boy Joseph Smith in the year 1820, and when Joseph left the grove that day, he knew more of the nature of God than all the learned ministers of the gospel of the ages."

More or less, what he is meaning here is that we don't believe in the "Trinity". The concept that Jesus Christ, God and the Holy Ghost are the same literal person. We believe in what is called the God Head, where Jesus Christ, God and the Holy Ghost are 3 distinctive separate beings but each work in unison.

Looks like people are attempting to twist his words, in an effort to make it fit their desires.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's no wonder the GOP loses elections left and right. Mormons for the most part are really good people and yet the bigoted replies here leave me speechless (and I'm not even LDS).
Keep this up and it won't be long and all 50 states will be blue
View Quote

Except Utah.   :)
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:18:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

"In bearing testimony of Jesus Christ, President Hinckley spoke of those outside the Church who say Latter-day Saints "do not believe in the traditional Christ. No, I don't. The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak has been revealed in this the Dispensation of the Fulness of Times. He, together with His Father, appeared to the boy Joseph Smith in the year 1820, and when Joseph left the grove that day, he knew more of the nature of God than all the learned ministers of the gospel of the ages."
View Quote

The 2nd half does not change the meaning at all.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:21:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I did those things and my personal belief is that Joseph Smith was full of it. YMMV

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, I don't understand it either.  Some guy makes up a religion and gathers a following with some ridiculous ideas/rules, sounds like a cult to me.  

Oh please, followers didn't think Jim Jones was crazy either.  Anybody can write a book and make up a religion.  Takes a good salesman or some slick talking/brain washing to gather a following like he did though.  I've lived in Mormon communities, have Mormon relatives and married a Mormon with a 100% Mormon family.  I have a pretty good idea as to the beliefs and background of the "religion".

And that's the difference. Most LDS, like myself, will say that's your right living in this country.

Then there's those that would put another's beliefs down, spread untrue statements, and do what they can to find fault. I've read that makes up for insecurities in their lives, and it shows. Not pointing that at you, but there are many.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:30:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, it does. Hence the uses of "He, together with His Father". Those are very important distinctive points. I'm not out to convert you but simply to help you understand what he was getting at.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:39:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like all the typical "mormons aren't christians,"  southern baptist and Lutheran trolls have hit this thread. Showing how "christ-like" they are by spewing hate and vitriol and condemning others to hell because they dont attend their own personal Christ-cult, snake handling, "church."

I wish to FSM my neighbors were mormons instead of baptists and Lutherans. Then I wouldnt have to worry about the copper being stolen out of my house when I was TDY. Instead I'd only have to worry about the mormons cutting my lawn while I was gone. The proof is in the pudding. I've never met a catholic, baptist, Presbyterian, or Lutheran, that wasn't going to go straight to hell based on their actions. I've only people that I have seen pass muster of those fantasy books are mormons.  Actions, not words. Deeds, not rhetoric.

When an agnostic SOB like myself can easily pick out the people that aren't even remotely christ-like, you're doing something wrong. Mormons are way more christian than any of you tools trolling them. I'm also pretty sure they are the only "christians" in this thread that actually read the new testament...

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is what the founder, early church leaders, and some well-known Mormons have had to say about Christianity:
Joseph Smith:

"My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right — and which I should join. I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong, and the personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in His sight: that those professors were all corrupt . . ." (Joseph Smith, "History of the Church, Vol. 1, page 5-6.)

"What is it that inspires professors of Christianity generally with a hope of salvation? It is that smooth, sophisticated influence of the devil, by which he deceives the whole world." ("Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith," Compiled by Joseph Fielding Smith, page 270.)

(In questions directed to Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism. . .)

First -- "Do you believe the Bible?"

If we do, we are the only people under heaven that does, for there are none of the religious sects of the day that do."

Third — "Will everybody be damned, but Mormons?"

Yes, and a great portion of them, unless they repent, and work righteousness." (Teachings, page 119.)

Brigham Young:

"But He did send His angel to this same obscure person, Joseph Smith jun., who afterwards became a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, and informed him that he should not join any of the religious sects of the day, for they were all wrong." (Brigham Young, "Journal of Discourses," Vol. 2, page 171. - 1855)

John Taylor:

"We talk about Christianity, but it is a perfect pack of nonsense....Myself and hundreds of the Elders around me have seen its pomp, parade, and glory; and what is it? It is a sounding brass and a tinkling symbol; it is as corrupt as hell; and the Devil could not invent a better engine to spread his work than the Christianity of the nineteenth century."( Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, page 167 - 1858)

"Where shall we look for the true order or authority of God? It cannot be found in any nation of Christendom." (J.D.", Vol. 10, page 127. - 1863)

James Talmage:

"A self-suggesting interpretation of history indicates that there has been a great departure from the way of salvation as laid down by the Savior, a universal apostasy from the Church of Christ". ("The Articles of Faith," Deseret Book Company, Salt Lake City, Utah. P. 182.)

Bruce McConkie:

"With the loss of the gospel, the nations of the earth went into a moral eclipse called the Dark Ages." ("Mormon Doctrine," Bookcraft, Salt Lake City, Utah, page. 44.)

Joseph Fielding Smith:

"Again, following the death of his apostles, apostasy once more set in, and again the saving principles and ordinances of the gospel were changed to suit the conveniences and notions of the people. Doctrines were corrupted, authority lost, and a false order of religion took the place of the gospel of Jesus Christ, just as it had been the case in former dispensations, and the people were left in spiritual darkness." ("Doctrines of Salvation," page 266.)

View Quote

When Joseph Smith came on the scene some scant 150 years ago, he attacked Christians and Christianity.

Christianity did not change because of Joseph Smith and Mormonism.

But yet today, Mormons want to claim "you are Christians, we are Christians, we basically believe the same things."

Who's fooling who(m)?

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:45:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Two years before he died, the Prophet Joseph Smith wrote them in a letter to a newspaper editor, John Wentworth, who had asked for information about the Church.

Ever since the Articles of Faith were written, they’ve inspired and directed us in the basic principles of our gospel. They enhance our understanding of certain doctrines and help us commit to living them. They invite further thought. And they’re a good tool for explaining our beliefs to people unfamiliar with them.
13 Articles of Faith

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

(From http://www.mormon.org/beliefs/articles-of-faith)
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:46:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Mormons are the new Jew's, they have all the money it seams.

Join now while the sign on bonus is still good.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:49:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is a simple clue that will help:

If a person is not entirely satisfied with being simply being identified as "Christian" ...

He probably isn't one.

If he wants to be identified by his religion, he is simply a follower of that religion.

Just because a religion invokes the name "Jesus Christ" does not make that religion "Christian."
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:52:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks like all the typical "mormons aren't christians,"  southern baptist and Lutheran trolls have hit this thread. Showing how "christ-like" they are by spewing hate and vitriol and condemning others to hell because they dont attend their own personal Christ-cult, snake handling, "church."

I wish to FSM my neighbors were mormons instead of baptists and Lutherans. Then I wouldnt have to worry about the copper being stolen out of my house when I was TDY. Instead I'd only have to worry about the mormons cutting my lawn while I was gone. The proof is in the pudding. I've never met a catholic, baptist, Presbyterian, or Lutheran, that wasn't going to go straight to hell based on their actions. I've only people that I have seen pass muster of those fantasy books are mormons.  Actions, not words. Deeds, not rhetoric.

When an agnostic SOB like myself can easily pick out the people that aren't even remotely christ-like, you're doing something wrong. Mormons are way more christian than any of you tools trolling them. I'm also pretty sure they are the only "christians" in this thread that actually read the new testament...
View Quote

They aren't the only ones who read it.

But, as I have stated in this thread, Mormons do a better job behaving like Christians are supposed to than mainstream Christians. That earns them a lot of respect from me. Respect their actual beliefs sure as hell didn't earn.

Judged by their fruit, and all that. I may disagree with their beliefs, but I respect them as people, because they have earned it.

I'll tell you why I think you're wrong. I'm sure you'll tell me why you think I'm wrong. As long as we can shake hands afterwards and go back to being good neighbors, then all is right.

I've not yet had a Mormon stomp out of my house screaming that I'm going to hell. I've had that with other "Christians", over trivial issues. Mormons seem to have a collective sense of respect for others and their household that is lacking with many Christians. This earns them a lot in my mind.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:56:36 AM EDT
[#14]
What's this, another Mormon thread full of Mormon bashers? No way! Shocking! Never been done before!  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:00:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What's this, another Mormon thread full of Mormon bashers? No way! Shocking! Never been done before!  
View Quote

To be fair there are plenty of non-Mormons in this thread who are saying nice things about Mormons. Myself included.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#16]
This thread is worse than the Catholic Answers forum "Non-Catholic Religions" section. Lots of shit talking in here. From what I have seen very little is relevant to the Op.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:10:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Totally false statement. And I used to respect this man's opinions.

Having been the man who counted and recorded tithes, ask me anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Desire to wear special undies?  Have a faith system with imposed caste?  Yes, you can go to your ward but not the big temple until you have contributed big bucks.

Totally false statement. And I used to respect this man's opinions.

Having been the man who counted and recorded tithes, ask me anything.

It's out of his reckoning and google can't help him. You will not see him again in this thread. "Drive by" is what he should change his username to...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

This thread is worse than the Catholic Answers forum "Non-Catholic Religions" section. Lots of shit talking in here. From what I have seen very little is relevant to the Op.
View Quote

If an ARFCOM member started a thread about how he was going to join the American Rifle & Pistol Association, you shouldn't be surprised to see some members warn him about that move.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:16:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I read the entire thread. I'm a converted Catholic. I've had a conversation or two with the boys on the bikes. I've read the book of Mormon. I've served with Mormons. All were fine people.

Like I said, I'm a converted Catholic. The funny thing I've noticed in this thread is that the folks I have on ignore for other reasons, are the same folks swinging hammers in here about the Church of LDS. It appears all they do is swing hammers at others.

Weird, or maybe not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:32:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I read the entire thread. I'm a converted Catholic. I've had a conversation or two with the boys on the bikes. I've read the book of Mormon. I've served with Mormons. All were fine people.

Like I said, I'm a converted Catholic. The funny thing I've noticed in this thread is that the folks I have on ignore for other reasons, are the same folks swinging hammers in here about the Church of LDS. It appears all they do is swing hammers at others.

Weird, or maybe not.
View Quote

I'm probably on your ignore list, and I generally like Mormons.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:44:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird, or maybe not.

Nope. Weird, isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:52:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If a person is not entirely satisfied with being simply being identified as "Christian" ...

He probably isn't one.

If he wants to be identified by his religion, he is simply a follower of that religion.

Just because a religion invokes the name "Jesus Christ" does not make that religion "Christian."
View Quote

You have a sect with it's own particular beliefs. You just stated some there. Delineating yourself and your ways as the correct interpretation. If I were to say "but you are just doing the same thing they are, interpreting the bible in a particular way" you would respond somewhere along the lines of 'no it's clear in the bible, verse such and such says so'.

And we could invert the positions and a Mormon would reply the same way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:53:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope. Weird, isn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird, or maybe not.

Nope. Weird, isn't it?

Odd. I should be on your ignore list. I'm an asshole.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:54:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

To be fair there are plenty of non-Mormons in this thread who are saying nice things about Mormons. Myself included.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

While The Book of Mormon isn't for me, the LDS church members that I call friends are among the best people that I've ever known. Like I said earlier, you could do a lot worse than being a Mormon.

Also, what's with the "magic underwear" BS? Are they referring to temple garments specifically, or are they just parroting some regurgitated babble they picked up somewhere? As a kid I can remember wearing a baptismal robe, and I don't recall ever seeing parents ridiculed (or excoriated) for dressing their child in a christening gown. How is this any different exactly?

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:56:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Weird, or maybe not.
View Quote

Some people seem to have come up with a strange formula for emulating Jesus. Taking those carpentry skills to build crosses to hang others on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:20:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I know a lot of mormons.  AZ is a major mormon hub.  Im not religious but they are good people. Whatever they believe is no more goofy than the shit other religious people believe.  Whatever helps you stay strong and be a good person is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:00:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Agreed.

While The Book of Mormon isn't for me, the LDS church members that I call friends are among the best people that I've ever known. Like I said earlier, you could do a lot worse than being a Mormon.

Also, what's with the "magic underwear" BS? Are they referring to temple garments specifically, or are they just parroting some regurgitated babble they picked up somewhere? As a kid I can remember wearing a baptismal robe, and I don't recall ever seeing parents ridiculed (or excoriated) for dressing their child in a christening gown. How is this any different exactly?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed.

Garments you wear under your clothes to remind you of your Covenants with the Lord. It's my understanding the "magic" part is that some people believed they could give you protection. Those who survived when Joseph Smith was martyred were wearing theirs.

This thread is much nicer when you have put half the people in it on your ignore list.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He probably isn't one.

View Quote

Agreed. It's in their acts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Garments you wear under your clothes to remind you of your Covenants with the Lord. It's my understanding the "magic" part is that some people believed they could give you protection. Those who survived when Joseph Smith was martyred were wearing theirs.

This thread is much nicer when you have put half the people in it on your ignore list.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

The short answer is to remind you to live up to your covenants. They don't always work so well with swearing and internet arguments. also, no tank tops or short shorts. Modesty.  The 'magic' part is many claim to have been burned but not under their garments. I can say when I caught my sweatshirt on fire with a torch that they burn quite well, same as any cotton or poly tee shirt. Bottom line? Most in here wear underwear. Mine are white. Many wear a white tee shirt under a color tee shirt. I always did so no big deal. Easy to make fun of another person, but reaching for underwear means you're pretty low on ammo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Almost as soon as Jesus left this earth, people started to interpret what He said and putting their own twist on it. That is why there are so many religions and different denominations today.

After the four gospels, the rest of the New Testament documents that the original apostles were explaining and trying to keep the new Christians from going astray of the simple message of salvation. Pretty much that is what Paul did and in the book of Revelation, Jesus himself gave a message to John to give to the seven churches that told them what they were doing right and what they were doing wrong. Sometimes out of ignorance and sometimes on purpose the churches were mixing their new found Christianity with pagan beliefs.

I'm not sure if there is one church on this planet that has it all right.  I do think on judgement day it is between me and God and it doesn't matter what others say or do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dum-dum-dum-dum-Dum...

Most Mormons I've known seem to be really good people with great family values. I offer no criticism of them as people.

Their dogma is pretty fucking weird/crazy though. Not Scientology level nuts, but still, fucking weird.

Would not convert. Would hang out with or desire as neighbors.
View Quote

This.

I have no problem with Mormons as long as they don't try to recruit me...I'm a Christian and I always chuckle when they try to tell me we are the same...no bro...we ain't.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With that said, I do not understand how something so obviously made up by Joseph Smith can be so vehemently defended.  To each their own but it is so ludicrous it's absurd.  That is all, flame on.

Whatever you want to keep telling yourself to justify your made up "book of Mormon" bible is real scooter.  This just in.......... the man in the moon and the toothfairy are real.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Whatever you want to keep telling yourself to justify your made up "book of Mormon" bible is real scooter.  This just in.......... the man in the moon and the toothfairy are real.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, someone sure thinks they're better than everyone else in here...... I'll bet you would never talk like that to a man's face...the internet is all empowering.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Glad to see this thread is still going. Through the bickering here and there I've gleaned some (of what I consider) useful insight. One observation being that almost everyone who has anything to say about Mormons as a people (sans religious differences) is overwhelmingly positive. This is what interests me the most. They genuinely seem to be good people who raise excellent families, have a strong sense of community, as well as solid morals coupled with a sincere desire to help others come to terms with Christ as they see Him.

Again, I do not know if their is a God, or is Jesus was the son of God. I don't expect I ever will. However, the simple sincerity of the Mormon faith and the happiness it seems to bring them really makes me wonder if they're onto something that might change my mind. I'm going to be in KY on business for a couple weeks, but when I get back the first thing I'm going to do is look into attending a sacrament meetings.

Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#35]

Now, I don't personally believe in Jesus being a/the God.
View Quote

That will have to change if you want to be a Morman.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I disagree with them religiously, but they tend to be good people, and they also tend to make good food, if that's of any importance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Now, I don't personally believe in Jesus being a/the God.

We pray to Heavenly Father, not Jesus. God is not Jesus.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Had to do a class in Utah once, back when I was a weekend warrior. We reported to the classroom at 0600, and were all stumped, lost, and in desperate need of coffee. Instructor comes in, nice guy who was lower ranking than most of the class, and starts to get into the instruction. A few of us stopped hymn and asked "where's the coffee"? He replied "well, we don't really feel you need coffee, to be a good soldier"... or something like that. Highest ranking student then said "this instruction is of little value, if the students are half-awake. We will begin instruction, after we're caffeinated". Went back and forth for a bit, until the instructor finally broke down and found a one-cup coffee machine. We then spent about 30minutes, menacing each student two cups. After that, the class started... until we were interrupted by the other classroom, who commandeered our coffee machine.

Mormons have a weird history with some hokey sic-fi shit that makes scientologists almost look normal. If you read the book of mormon, which I've browsed for fun in a couple hotel rooms, it's full of some whacky shit.

But I will say this, Mormon people tend to be hard workers and good members of the community. They'll fight and die for their country, even bleeding for citizens of different faiths. They have strong families, and are generally nice people.

I just could never personally see being one. But more power to those who are, and are happy being so.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Mormon's are the nicest, kindest, most misguided people on the planet. If you have some misgivings in general about God as the father, the son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, believing the Mormon dogma is going to be a HUGE stretch.

View Quote

This pretty much sums it up. Every Mormon I've met or interacted with has been unfailingly polite and kind. Like a real life Ned Flanders. I just can't get behind the church side of their lifestyle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Interesting, didn't know you could 'become' Mormon, always thought you were born into it, like the Amish.
View Quote

Most religions as well as 'lifestyles' like the Amish, have ways and means for you to join them.  Some are very specific in what is required of you to become one of them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Glad to see this thread is still going. Through the bickering here and there I've gleaned some (of what I consider) useful insight. One observation being that almost everyone who has anything to say about Mormons as a people (sans religious differences) is overwhelmingly positive. This is what interests me the most. They genuinely seem to be good people who raise excellent families, have a strong sense of community, as well as solid morals coupled with a sincere desire to help others come to terms with Christ as they see Him.

Again, I do not know if their is a God, or is Jesus was the son of God. I don't expect I ever will. However, the simple sincerity of the Mormon faith and the happiness it seems to bring them really makes me wonder if they're onto something that might change my mind. I'm going to be in KY on business for a couple weeks, but when I get back the first thing I'm going to do is look into attending a sacrament meetings.

Thanks for all the replies.
View Quote

You are always welcome to stop by and worship. No membership required. Some have come to Sacrament meetings for years and are welcome.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well, someone sure thinks they're better than everyone else in here...... I'll bet you would never talk like that to a man's face...the internet is all empowering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would be more than happy to debate this face to face with you or anyone else.  So would you resort to violence on me while I point out facts that disprove your beliefs.  Is that what you are implying?  Do some research on on the great Mountain Man Jim Bridger and see how his kindness to the Mormons was repaid.  They burnt his trading post down and wanted to kill him.  

For the record  I never have said that I am better than you.  If you want to be blind to the truth, and  if you want to believe in the lie more power to you.   It just amazes me how something that is so obviously made up can be believed?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Interesting, didn't know you could 'become' Mormon, always thought you were born into it, like the Amish.
View Quote

In fact, you can even convert after death!  Why do you think they are so into genealogy?

However, if the Mormons become the only decent traditional value community left in the USA, with what is going on in so many other churches, joining would have to be on the table.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I disagree with them religiously, but they tend to be good people, and they also tend to make good food, if that's of any importance.
View Quote

There are plenty of atheists who are nice people.  It doesn't make their beliefs correct.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If one carefully pays attention, the truth will eventually come out.

Christian denominations believe and know that Jesus is indeed God, and He is a part of the Trinity, the Triune God of the Bible.

Mormons are free to believe as they please, but their beliefs are not those of mainline Christianity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christian denominations believe and know that Jesus is indeed God, and He is a part of the Trinity, the Triune God of the Bible.

Mormons are free to believe as they please, but their beliefs are not those of mainline Christianity.

I'm glad to see you are as comfortable with your religion as I am with mine. The difference is, I won't make any attempt to put you down for your beliefs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I would be more than happy to debate this face to face with you or anyone else.  So would you resort to violence on me while I point out facts that disprove your beliefs.  Is that what you are implying?  Do some research on on the great Mountain Man Jim Bridger and see how his kindness to the Mormons was repaid.  They burnt his trading post down and wanted to kill him.  

For the record  I never have said that I am better than you.  If you want to be blind to the truth, and  if you want to believe in the lie more power to you.   It just amazes me how something that is so obviously made up can be believed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any man that feels the need to put down another man's sincere beliefs has some obvious self esteem issues. This is my free country too, bro. You can call me or my church what you want. I'll still do what I can to be a decent person in this world today.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm not here to argue with stupid over a religion.  We have a large LDS following in our area, and they are some of the nicest people around.  Their scouting program is quite strong and they have good morals.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were essentially two groups of "Christians" at the Nicene Council.

One group... Early Jewish Christians... The viable majority, but much-less politically connected... They believed that Jesus was Gods son, and separate from the Holy Spirit.

The other group... The politically-connected Greek-Christians believed in essentially the "Trinity."

The Greek-influenced "Christians" had some interesting ideas that butted-up against scripture and what the viable majority of other "Christians" believed at the time...

But they had the influence and the connections, and the non-Trinitarian "Christians" left the debate having lost to what directly became the Catholic Church and the Nicene Creed.

Most (all) "mainstream 'Christian' sects" draw a direct-line to breaking off from the Catholic Church...

Here are some historical facts that are unarguable...

1. The majority of pre-credal "Christians" did not believe in the "Trinity."

2. Almost every single "mainstream 'Christian' sect" can draw a direct historical line to the Catholic Church.

3. The Latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ claims to be a pre-credal Christian Church.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There are plenty of atheists who are nice people.  It doesn't make their beliefs correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Members of the latter-Day Church of Jesus Christ are correct in their beliefs...

It depends what yardstick you are using...

If you are using the pre-credal yardstick... The Latter-Day beliefs line-up perfectly with the early Chriistian Church...

If you are using the post-credal (Catholic Church, and its break-offs) church as the yardstick, the Latter-Day church can't match-up to that...

Yes, if you look at the *early* Christian Church... The Latter-Day church matches-up just fine...

Choose the correct yardstick...
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top